Texting in Movie Theater

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, the sign at the beginning of the movie that says to put away the phone? I always assumed that was to prevent/mitigate people filming the movie and pirating it. Truly never dawned on me that people would be so incensed about a text message that makes no noise...

World would be such a happier place if everyone just calmed down. In the grand scheme of things, flipping out over something so minute does nothing. Worry about real things. Like the three year old that doesn't have a daddy anymore because someone couldn't calm down.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    [qote]To be perfectly honest, the sign at the beginning of the movie that says to put away the phone? [/quote]

So when it says, specifically, "No talking or texting during the movie," you thought that didn't mean, "No talking or texting during the movie"?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the movies that often, but what I recall is a sign that says to turn off phones, which like I said, I assumed was to prevent piracy. And then the little animated film reel that hops around and puts his fingers to his lips and says "SHHHH". Personally can't recall anything that specifically says no texting, but again, don't go to the movies often.

I did hear this morning that the the shooter left the theater, it was not to get a manager. It was to retrieve his gun from his car. That makes murder premeditated, no?
  • rml_16
    Options
    I don't go to the movies that often, but what I recall is a sign that says to turn off phones, which like I said, I assumed was to prevent piracy. And then the little animated film reel that hops around and puts his fingers to his lips and says "SHHHH". Personally can't recall anything that specifically says no texting, but again, don't go to the movies often.

I did hear this morning that the the shooter left the theater, it was not to get a manager. It was to retrieve his gun from his car. That makes murder premeditated, no?
    Every movie I've been to in the last 10 years has had a message prior to the previews starting that specifically says NO TEXTING. Every, single one. No matter the city, state or movie company.

And as much as I can't stand the general rudeness of society (texting during movies is only a symptom of the greater problem, which is what's so upsetting about it), in no case does someone being rude (or even throwing popcorn and yelling) justify what happened in that theater.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thats why I go to the dollar theater. If you text there no one cares. They PAID A DOLLAR! LOL!:laugh:
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    Honestly, I don't really feel bad for the guy. He was asked to stop, refused. Let's not forget the retired cop was 70 years old and the victim half his age and probably twice his size. Old man went outside to tell staff. Upon coming back in, the man with the phone made a comment about the old man 'telling on him', then proceeded to throw a bucket of popcorn at the old man while standing less than 2 feet away from him.. Assault on the elderly. Did he deserve to get shot, no. But even the guy's wife was trying to hold him back (hence her getting shot in the hand while trying to diffuse.

The old man was definitely in the wrong but the man who got shot sounded like an grown up bully.

The "Old" man was 71 and the victim was 43. So no, it was not half the older person age. The shooter was a retired policemen who should have know how to react and act in this particular situation, and if his age or physical condition impaired his judgement, he should not have a permit to carry a gun; which by the way was not allowed in the theater either.

To excuse or justify the shooter's behavior or to say that you don't feel bad abut the victim is the same as justifying rape just because a woman was wearing a short dress. By your statement you are actually justifying schools shooting because somebody was bullied.

There is not justification for murder!

I don't know how accurate the presented facts are but if a 43 yr old male becomes baligerant and menacing (both of these first things likely true if their wife is 1) trying to restrain him but 2) unsuccessfully doing so) AND he starts assaulting me (throwing items at other is considered assault) I would be inclined to defend myself. IF these facts play out as stated, the 71 yr old man is unlikely to be found guilty in a court of law even if it is determined that there is enough evidence to take the case to court.

Not guilty? Well, it is Florida so we shouldn't have too many expectations that justice will be served....and lets remember that popcorn is a weapon of mass destruction that needs to be stopped by a semiautomatic gun.

Now your just being absurd. If a 5 yr old throws something at you it is different if an angry individual who actively sought you out in a theater confronts you. Hell spitting is considered assault in most states. I'm less then 5 ft tall, if you are moving aggressively towards me while cursing up a storm and is unrestrainable by others, I'm going to feel threatened. Start throwing things and your now less then 2 ft away I think I'm entitled to defend myself. I might have opted to take out his knees and have him face years of reconstruction w my martial arts skills. But you don't throw gas on fire and start physical altercations w/I expecting negative results. This case is a bit extreme but come on its a 71 yr old guy w some guy physically in his face threatening him. What if it had been your father or grandfather threatened?

Honestly you come across as a gun-nut now.

You mentioned nowhere that that old man was being senile and over-entitled like most elderly tend to be, angry and pissed off (they will die soon, they no longer have motivation for balance, tolerance and intellectual integrity, all thats left is bitterness) so this dumb old *kitten* is over there snitching, causing drama, hating on you for trying to text your daughter during previews and over-all being a hateful prick and is driving you crazy. He drove that guy to anger, baited him into being borderline aggressive and murdered him.

If you defend that you are a gun-nut, end of story.

If that old judgmental *kitten* had just let it go and minded his own business instead of driving the guy nuts with some anal retentive obsession, that guys' daughter would still have a father today.

Only a scumbag would ignore all the human elements and just say: "well the rules are as such"

Borderline psychopathic.

Actually I have made no comments on this thread indicating personality or anger management issues. You have done both. Projection at its best.

What kind of rebuttal is that?

I just said thats the reason you sound like a crazy gun nut (the cold absence of incorporating the human element) and you just pretty much agreed?
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    raise your hand if you wish nutellabrah would go away.
  • nutellabrah
    Options

Oh God that changes everything.

As a reflection of all the ignorant hatred in this thread that represents the zenith of all your insanity. That something so small can make you so angry that you could kill.

A disease upon our nation.

This makes me more and more not want to live on this planet anymore.

To me everyone of you making ludicrous comments and taking this murderer as an opportunity to vent your frustration makes you all just as bad as the murderer. You're pretty much saying "yeah, sometimes texting in a theater drives me so angry I want to kill."

You people are sick. Very sick.
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    Oh God that changes everything.

As a reflection of all the ignorant hatred in this thread that represents the zenith of all your insanity. That something so small can make you so angry that you could kill.

A disease upon our nation.

This makes me more and more not want to live on this planet anymore.

To me everyone of you making ludicrous comments and taking this murderer as an opportunity to vent your frustration makes you all just as bad as the murderer. You're pretty much saying "yeah, sometimes texting in a theater drives me so angry I want to kill."

You people are sick. Very sick.

Let's remember when the same person said that if you asked him to stop texting during a movie:
    You ever seen that scene in The Departed where the two guys get in a shootout and they both start wailing on each other and soon they are both riddled with bullet holes? Yeah, it would have to go down like that before I stopped.

Nobody has said anyone should be killed for texting in a movie, they simply ask that you not. YOU'RE the one who said your love life is too important to not text for 2 hours, and if someone doesn't like it they'll have to shoot you.

The ludicrous comments are coming from you.

Excuse me???

I made it perfectly clear I don't text during movies and those escalating statements were a representation of the mind state of some of the people you encounter in society.

I made it perfectly clear I was playing the Devil's Advocate, showing that the fault is first and foremost with the guy who doesn't mind his own business within reason. The reality is there are crazy people in society and trying to tell them what to do outside of being a police officer or manager is akin to attacking them on a personal level.

What is so hard to comprehend here? Did you even read what was going on?

Don't resort to personal attacks people. You all need to learn a lesson from this that you cannot and should not try to control others outside of your means. In a big city you learn this quickly, not to expect others to conform to your idea of how society should be. Sometimes in small towns people have less social experience by nature and start to get away with being bigots and controlling pigs and think thats normal.

Nobody in society is your slave or servant. We are all free to do what we want. We are free to break the rules if we choose to even. We are aware of consequences and risk. Our nation is set up on the morals that we are free, not robots who have to do what is right and wrong. There is no right or wrong. That is what you people can't handle and are too afraid to handle. And it is your fear that fuels your sick pathetic hatred.

Compassion and forgiveness are a real sign of a moral human being, not hatred.
  • rml_16
    Options
    You're pretty much saying "yeah, sometimes texting in a theater drives me so angry I want to kill."

Seriously? Seriously?

I guess we all need our entertainment and you're providing your own.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Nobody in society is your slave or servant. We are all free to do what we want. We are free to break the rules if we choose to even. We are aware of consequences and risk. Our nation is set up on the morals that we are free, not robots who have to do what is right and wrong. There is no right or wrong.

I hate to break this news to you, but no, we are not "free to break the rules." We have these things called laws that if you violate you go to prison. There IS right and wrong.

And there IS being polite and considerate of others around you. Your rights end where mine begin, buddy. THAT is how the US works. Try taking a refresher American history course. You clearly need one.
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    :yawn:

Telling someone to stop texting during a movie is not a personal attack. Just stop.

I live in a big city, you don't have to explain it to me.

You are correct that you are free to break the rules in a movie theater. After that you can suffer the consequences. Which include being asked to stop or being asked to leave.

There is right and wrong. It's wrong to text during a movie. They tell you that when the movie starts. I don't feel fear or sick, pathetic hatred. I'm trying to watch a movie. So don't text. But it's certainly nothing I can't handle.

I already explained to you why it is a personal attack. And people would escalate.

If you don't believe this, go to a movie theater in Oakland and try to tell some rowdy urban youth to not check their phones.

I would like to see you try this. Please. No seriously. Film it.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    During the previews it wouldn't bother me, but during the movie it is distracting. If I pay movie ticket prices I want to be able to get lost in a movie for a couple of hours with a light display drawing my attention away.

THIS!
  • rml_16
    Options
    :yawn:

Telling someone to stop texting during a movie is not a personal attack. Just stop.

I live in a big city, you don't have to explain it to me.

You are correct that you are free to break the rules in a movie theater. After that you can suffer the consequences. Which include being asked to stop or being asked to leave.

There is right and wrong. It's wrong to text during a movie. They tell you that when the movie starts. I don't feel fear or sick, pathetic hatred. I'm trying to watch a movie. So don't text. But it's certainly nothing I can't handle.

I already explained to you why it is a personal attack. And people would escalate.

If you don't believe this, go to a movie theater in Oakland and try to tell some rowdy urban youth to not check their phones.

I would like to see you try this. Please. No seriously. Film it.
    So in order to avoid someone who is already a rude jerk from becoming an even ruder jerk, we should just keep our mouths shut and let people do whatever they want?
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    Nobody in society is your slave or servant. We are all free to do what we want. We are free to break the rules if we choose to even. We are aware of consequences and risk. Our nation is set up on the morals that we are free, not robots who have to do what is right and wrong. There is no right or wrong.

I hate to break this news to you, but no, we are not "free to break the rules." We have these things called laws that if you violate you go to prison. There IS right and wrong.

And there IS being polite and considerate of others around you. Your rights end where mine begin, buddy. THAT is how the US works. Try taking a refresher American history course. You clearly need one.

Yeah but if you violate laws there are certain predetermined catalysts designed to deter such behavior in general.

Nobody can prevent a crime.

Ask any cop if he can prevent a crime before or stop it as it happens, they will say no.

You can't stop crimes from happening, and they WILL happen. Plan accordingly how you behave.

You can't stop a group of hooligans from beating you to a pulp and running away scrambling before the cops get there. All because you wanted to be a hero.

So since you can't control such logistics, there are no real rules. IF YOU EVEN GET CAUGHT.

Furthermore, laws are set up to maintain society and culture, without them we would not function. But they are not setup because of some ultimate right or wrong, they are rules to get certain results and prevents certain patterns.

Rules are there to discourage and encourage patterns. But they are not logistical ultimates.

If I break that rule, thats my right to do so knowing the risk and consequences. Its still my world Im living in. And you're sharing this world with me when I am in public. It is my personal choice to break that rule and it is my choice to risk the consequences.

Now if you try to judge me or control me and my freedom, you have crossed a whole different line and opened up a can of potential whoop *kitten* because you tried to violate me and my reality.

So if you can't handle that, you need to stay at home. Seriously. This isn't your world. This is everyones world. And you if you can't handle what happens out there, stay home, go to work, talk to your only 2-3 friends who are haters like you and mind your own business.

If you hate people, don't go around people.
  • rml_16
    Options
    If I break that rule, thats my right to do so knowing the risk and consequences. Its still my world Im living in. And you're sharing this world with me when I am in public. It is my personal choice to break that rule and it is my choice to risk the consequences.

Now if you try to judge me or control me and my freedom, you have crossed a whole different line and opened up a can of potential whoop *kitten* because you tried to violate me and my reality.

So it's OK for you to violate people's freedom, but not OK for them to violate yours? When you're the one breaking the rule in the first place, which is set up to make the world more pleasant for all of us to live in? But it's OK for you to be a rude jerk and it's not OK for me to point it out and ask you to stop?

Do you even think before you type?

I take it back. You don't need a history class. You need a logic class.

Also a debating class. When you stoop to personal insults, you lost.