Texting in Movie Theater

Options

Replies

• Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started I am sickened by cell phone use in public. I think shooting is extreme but ushers should kick out cell phone users texting or reading FB pages, anything that throws out light. I am serious. Cell phones are horrid when people have to check on it like it was a pace maker or colostomy bag, their life depends on it? Really? Eating places should ban them also.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't really feel bad for the guy. He was asked to stop, refused. Let's not forget the retired cop was 70 years old and the victim half his age and probably twice his size. Old man went outside to tell staff. Upon coming back in, the man with the phone made a comment about the old man 'telling on him', then proceeded to throw a bucket of popcorn at the old man while standing less than 2 feet away from him.. Assault on the elderly. Did he deserve to get shot, no. But even the guy's wife was trying to hold him back (hence her getting shot in the hand while trying to diffuse.

The old man was definitely in the wrong but the man who got shot sounded like an grown up bully.

The "Old" man was 71 and the victim was 43. So no, it was not half the older person age. The shooter was a retired policemen who should have know how to react and act in this particular situation, and if his age or physical condition impaired his judgement, he should not have a permit to carry a gun; which by the way was not allowed in the theater either.

To excuse or justify the shooter's behavior or to say that you don't feel bad abut the victim is the same as justifying rape just because a woman was wearing a short dress. By your statement you are actually justifying schools shooting because somebody was bullied.

There is not justification for murder!

I don't know how accurate the presented facts are but if a 43 yr old male becomes baligerant and menacing (both of these first things likely true if their wife is 1) trying to restrain him but 2) unsuccessfully doing so) AND he starts assaulting me (throwing items at other is considered assault) I would be inclined to defend myself. IF these facts play out as stated, the 71 yr old man is unlikely to be found guilty in a court of law even if it is determined that there is enough evidence to take the case to court.

Not guilty? Well, it is Florida so we shouldn't have too many expectations that justice will be served....and lets remember that popcorn is a weapon of mass destruction that needs to be stopped by a semiautomatic gun.

Now your just being absurd. If a 5 yr old throws something at you it is different if an angry individual who actively sought you out in a theater confronts you. Hell spitting is considered assault in most states. I'm less then 5 ft tall, if you are moving aggressively towards me while cursing up a storm and is unrestrainable by others, I'm going to feel threatened. Start throwing things and your now less then 2 ft away I think I'm entitled to defend myself. I might have opted to take out his knees and have him face years of reconstruction w my martial arts skills. But you don't throw gas on fire and start physical altercations w/I expecting negative results. This case is a bit extreme but come on its a 71 yr old guy w some guy physically in his face threatening him. What if it had been your father or grandfather threatened?
  • inside_lap
    Options
    No weapons or weapons must be checked and locked does not apply to CCLs in all settings. Bass Pro has a range inside the store. Store rules are that guns must be locked before passing through the store and going to the gun range. This does not apply to CCLs. So general posted signs about "no weapons" also don't apply. These post must be very specific in specific areas to actually apply to CCL. Pay attention next time you walk into a bar or a stand alone jewelry store. You'll see the notices.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't really feel bad for the guy. He was asked to stop, refused. Let's not forget the retired cop was 70 years old and the victim half his age and probably twice his size. Old man went outside to tell staff. Upon coming back in, the man with the phone made a comment about the old man 'telling on him', then proceeded to throw a bucket of popcorn at the old man while standing less than 2 feet away from him.. Assault on the elderly. Did he deserve to get shot, no. But even the guy's wife was trying to hold him back (hence her getting shot in the hand while trying to diffuse.

The old man was definitely in the wrong but the man who got shot sounded like an grown up bully.

The "Old" man was 71 and the victim was 43. So no, it was not half the older person age. The shooter was a retired policemen who should have know how to react and act in this particular situation, and if his age or physical condition impaired his judgement, he should not have a permit to carry a gun; which by the way was not allowed in the theater either.

To excuse or justify the shooter's behavior or to say that you don't feel bad abut the victim is the same as justifying rape just because a woman was wearing a short dress. By your statement you are actually justifying schools shooting because somebody was bullied.

I don't know how accurate the presented facts are but if a 43 yr old male becomes baligerant and menacing (both of these first things likely true if their wife is 1) trying to restrain him but 2) unsuccessfully doing so) AND he starts assaulting me (throwing items at other is considered assault) I would be inclined to defend myself. IF these facts play out as stated, the 71 yr old man is unlikely to be found guilty in a court of law even if it is determined that there is enough evidence to take the case to court.

Not guilty? Well, it is Florida so we shouldn't have too many expectations that justice will be served....and lets remember that popcorn is a weapon of mass destruction that needs to be stopped by a semiautomatic gun.

Now your just being absurd. If a 5 yr old throws something at you it is different if an angry individual who actively sought you out in a theater confronts you. Hell spitting is considered assault in most states. I'm less then 5 ft tall, if you are moving aggressively towards me while cursing up a storm and is unrestrainable by others, I'm going to feel threatened. Start throwing things and your now less then 2 ft away I think I'm entitled to defend myself. I might have opted to take out his knees and have him face years of reconstruction w my martial arts skills. But you don't throw gas on fire and start physical altercations w/I expecting negative results. This case is a bit extreme but come on its a 71 yr old guy w some guy physically in his face threatening him. What if it had been your father or grandfather threatened?

Are you seriously defending the shooter?

He's a retired cop who should know how to de-escalate a situation. He had popcorn thrown at him; no other physical contact made, nothing else thrown at him.

A few weeks ago he followed a woman who had been texting in a theater when she left to go to the bathroom; made her feel uncomfortable. Would she have been justified in shooting him because she felt intimidated?
  • MissChyna
    MissChyna Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I could see if someone was actually talking on the phone (or to others) but texting?
    That's a bit ridiculous and downright silly to be upset over IMO

:shrugs:
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    Don't get me started I am sickened by cell phone use in public. I think shooting is extreme but ushers should kick out cell phone users texting or reading FB pages, anything that throws out light. I am serious. Cell phones are horrid when people have to check on it like it was a pace maker or colostomy bag, their life depends on it? Really? Eating places should ban them also.

This guy is serious too ^

56159305_6242_thumb.jpg

the most anti-social sad lonely looking guy doesn't like when other people have friends and have more vested interests in their social devices than he does, hmm what a surprise. I wonder whats on his hidden agenda...
  • nutellabrah
    Options

Honestly you come across as a gun-nut now.

You mentioned nowhere that that old man was being senile and over-entitled like most elderly tend to be, angry and pissed off (they will die soon, they no longer have motivation for balance, tolerance and intellectual integrity, all thats left is bitterness) so this dumb old *kitten* is over there snitching, causing drama, hating on you for trying to text your daughter during previews and over-all being a hateful prick and is driving you crazy. He drove that guy to anger, baited him into being borderline aggressive and murdered him.

If you defend that you are a gun-nut, end of story.

If that old judgmental *kitten* had just let it go and minded his own business instead of driving the guy nuts with some anal retentive obsession, that guys' daughter would still have a father today.

Only a scumbag would ignore all the human elements and just say: "well the rules are as such"

Borderline psychopathic.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hell spitting is considered assault in most states

spitting on someone isn't assault because it's rude. spitting is considered assault because saliva is a major carrier of communicable disease, which is why people with hiv/aids who spit on people are charged with aggravated assault. if you have an open wound or spit gets into your mouth, you can get mono, viral meningitis, the flu, or cold sores (herpes simplex). if the person has a sore or wound in their mouth, you're now susceptible to any blood-borne pathogen.
    last time i checked, popcorn was not a deadly weapon. if you get popcorn on you, you're not going to get any diseases that could potentially threaten your life or your quality of life.
  • xbellezx
    xbellezx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I find people texting during a movie very distracting and people checking Facebook even more annoying. Of course there has been a few times when I have needed to keep my phone switched on while at the cinema. Guess what I did? I switched it to vibrate and when it rang I left the theater to return the call. Killing someone is extreme and not justifiable however there are times when I feel like hitting people over it, however I can control my anger.
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    For those of you who say I need to turn my phone off, can I still sneak in candy? :smile:

For the record, I do turn my phone off during movies. If the movie is particularly tedious, I might turn it back on to repeatedly check the time, hoping for the movie to soon be over.

And please don't leave your seat to check your phone. Having to get up to let someone pass is worse than I phone being turned on.
  • MissChyna
    MissChyna Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The movie / previews must suck if one is able to be that easily distracted in a theater when someone is texting.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I honestly could care less "why" he shot the guy. The fact that he got mad enough to shoot him in a theater where there were other people including kids, disturbs me. A life is more important than a dag on light from a cell phone. If he was that upset than he should have told management. We excuse dangerous behavior because we feel we can relate but the truth of the matter is it should not have made him that mad, and the fact that it did means perhaps he should have waited for the movie to be released on dvd and watched it at home.

According to the news reports, the shooter did exit the theater and returned a few minutes later alone, looking grumpy. The texter then engaged him, asking if he reported him to mgmt for texting, and an altercation ensued. The texter then allegedly threw his popcorn at the shooter, at which point the shooter drew his gun and fired.

Now, should you shoot someone over something like that? Absolutely not. But you also shouldn't escalate an incident because someone asked you to put away your phone in a place you're not supposed to be using it anyway. Perhaps both parties should have stayed home and waited for the DVD as neither one seemed to have any idea how to behave in public.

Popcorn verses a gun ummm i'm going to say that he over reacted. They both were wrong but i would think at 70 and a retired cop that you have some sort of self control or have learned how to deal with hostile situations. A life is gone all over a cell phone, to me this situation got way to out of hand and again their were other people in the theater. Suppose one of them would have got shot? then what?

I clearly said the shooter was in the wrong, I'm not sure how you missed that part.

I would also think that by the time someone reaches their 40's they would have some sort of self-control or have learned not to start fights and throw things at people when a person simply asks them to stop doing something they shouldn't be doing in public. Having a tantrum and throwing things at people, even if it's popcorn, over being asked to put a freakin' cell phone away is just as much of an over-reaction. The situation got way out of hand before the guy ever got up to talk to mgmt. It should have ended with a "Oh, excuse me, I'm sorry," a phone being put away, and everyone enjoying the movie. A little common courtesy goes a long way.
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    I honestly could care less "why" he shot the guy. The fact that he got mad enough to shoot him in a theater where there were other people including kids, disturbs me. A life is more important than a dag on light from a cell phone. If he was that upset than he should have told management. We excuse dangerous behavior because we feel we can relate but the truth of the matter is it should not have made him that mad, and the fact that it did means perhaps he should have waited for the movie to be released on dvd and watched it at home.

According to the news reports, the shooter did exit the theater and returned a few minutes later alone, looking grumpy. The texter then engaged him, asking if he reported him to mgmt for texting, and an altercation ensued. The texter then allegedly threw his popcorn at the shooter, at which point the shooter drew his gun and fired.

Now, should you shoot someone over something like that? Absolutely not. But you also shouldn't escalate an incident because someone asked you to put away your phone in a place you're not supposed to be using it anyway. Perhaps both parties should have stayed home and waited for the DVD as neither one seemed to have any idea how to behave in public.

Popcorn verses a gun ummm i'm going to say that he over reacted. They both were wrong but i would think at 70 and a retired cop that you have some sort of self control or have learned how to deal with hostile situations. A life is gone all over a cell phone, to me this situation got way to out of hand and again their were other people in the theater. Suppose one of them would have got shot? then what?

I clearly said the shooter was in the wrong, I'm not sure how you missed that part.

I would also think that by the time someone reaches their 40's they would have some sort of self-control or have learned not to start fights and throw things at people when a person simply asks them to stop doing something they shouldn't be doing in public. Having a tantrum and throwing things at people, even if it's popcorn, over being asked to put a freakin' cell phone away is just as much of an over-reaction. The situation got way out of hand before the guy ever got up to talk to mgmt. It should have ended with a "Oh, excuse me, I'm sorry," a phone being put away, and everyone enjoying the movie. A little common courtesy goes a long way.

It was still just the previews tho

At which point does it become a ridiculous act to try to get a couple thrown out over that?

its the symbolic act of disrespect is the catalyst for throwing the popcorn.

Pretty sure the guy wouldn't have flipped out if asked to stop during the movie. It was the fact he was taking it that far over previews that made him flip out.
  • xbellezx
    xbellezx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For those of you who say I need to turn my phone off, can I still sneak in candy? :smile:

For the record, I do turn my phone off during movies. If the movie is particularly tedious, I might turn it back on to repeatedly check the time, hoping for the movie to soon be over.

And please don't leave your seat to check your phone. Having to get up to let someone pass is worse than I phone being turned on.

Oh you have a point there. I don't usually go when the movie has just opened so usually only have to push past a person that I came with so haven't really had to deal with this. Though I think I would prefer a few seconds of someone pushing past me then a person in front of me texting on their bright screen for 10 mins.
  • inside_lap
    Options

Honestly you come across as a gun-nut now.

You mentioned nowhere that that old man was being senile and over-entitled like most elderly tend to be, angry and pissed off (they will die soon, they no longer have motivation for balance, tolerance and intellectual integrity, all thats left is bitterness) so this dumb old *kitten* is over there snitching, causing drama, hating on you for trying to text your daughter during previews and over-all being a hateful prick and is driving you crazy. He drove that guy to anger, baited him into being borderline aggressive and murdered him.

If you defend that you are a gun-nut, end of story.

If that old judgmental *kitten* had just let it go and minded his own business instead of driving the guy nuts with some anal retentive obsession, that guys' daughter would still have a father today.

Only a scumbag would ignore all the human elements and just say: "well the rules are as such"

Borderline psychopathic.

Actually I have made no comments on this thread indicating personality or anger management issues. You have done both. Projection at its best.
  • inside_lap
    Options

Are you seriously defending the shooter?

He's a retired cop who should know how to de-escalate a situation. He had popcorn thrown at him; no other physical contact made, nothing else thrown at him.

A few weeks ago he followed a woman who had been texting in a theater when she left to go to the bathroom; made her feel uncomfortable. Would she have been justified in shooting him because she felt intimidated?

Yes she would if he assaulted her.... Ie grabbed her and tried to physically take the phone etc. I'm not saying the shooter is right. I'm just saying the IF the above poster has their facts straight then YES he has a strong self defense case. Now a history of anger management issue in EITHER individual's case would factor into these potential findings if it's found to be admissible in court.
  • inside_lap
    Options
    Hell spitting is considered assault in most states

spitting on someone isn't assault because it's rude. spitting is considered assault because saliva is a major carrier of communicable disease, which is why people with hiv/aids who spit on people are charged with aggravated assault. if you have an open wound or spit gets into your mouth, you can get mono, viral meningitis, the flu, or cold sores (herpes simplex). if the person has a sore or wound in their mouth, you're now susceptible to any blood-borne pathogen.
    last time i checked, popcorn was not a deadly weapon. if you get popcorn on you, you're not going to get any diseases that could potentially threaten your life or your quality of life.

Yes but throwing things at another individual isn't just "rude" either. It's legally classified as assault just like spitting is.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    But wouldn't that forced expulsion by the manager be more disruptive to the general theater populace? So, your drive to force others to live by your code has now degraded an entire theater's viewing experience.

Would you rather someone texting during a whole movie or a simple disturbance to remove one idiot THUS creating a ripple effect stopping all idiots from texting? It's a last resort, idiots have to be dealt with for the greater good, 99% of them usually stop when called out on it. I don't buy into your reasoning I'm afraid. It's not me forcing my code on anyone, it's the populace forcing society's code on the single idiot who can't

I would be more bothered by the person causing the ruckus but then I can focus on a movie without being distracted by other people's actions.

Clearly you are in the minority, or else there would be no need at the beginning of the movie for an entie animated story about NOT TEXTING DURING THE MOVIE. If people weren't bothered by it, they wouldn't need the instructions before each movie.

Quit trying to excuse rudeness. Rudeness is never OK.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'd rather put up with someone using his/her cell phone inside the theater over someone using his/her gun inside the theater.

Just sayin'...
    \
    Is this an either/or situation? It's either people text OR people have guns, but we have to have at least one of those?

Why can't we, I don't know, not have either?
  • rml_16
    Options
    while i do enjoy watching the previews, i don't see anything wrong with texting during them, as they're not what i actually paid $8.25 to see.

So screw everyone else, right?