Texting in Movie Theater

Options
1181920212224»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think the real issue here are guns. Guns kill innocent people. The only people allowed to have guns should be policeman who are here to serve and protect, and the army.

Yes, it's the gun's fault. Entirely. It just jumped up into that man's hands and triggered itself. We should also *TOTALLY* blame alcohol and cars for drunk driving fatalities. We can blame fertilizer for bombings. And while we are at it, let's blame keyboards for *BOTH* typos and dumb posts.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until they ban cell phones in movie theaters completely. And huge groups of loud teenagers on Fridays and Saturdays.

A lot of theaters have begun catering to adults, making all films 18+ at night. (The one here also serves dinner and alcohol.)
    We usually go during the week in the afternoon -- it's WAY cheaper ($5 at one theater and $.50 at the other) and it's also when the man is off work. He works all weekend, so it's tough. There aren't usually a lot of people, even for new releases. But sometimes -- especially in the summer -- there have been teenagers there and they are usually quiet and well-behaved. I haven't had an issue with them.

What we have seen an awful lot are parents bringing very small children and infants and not taking them out when they get restless. Ridiculous. And sometimes it's to movies they REALLY shouldn't be at (such as Lone Survivor -- there weren't any when we went, but I've seen small children at movies like it).

But I really enjoy going to the theater to see a movie. It's an experience I enjoy when there aren't jerks around seeming to think they are in their own living rooms.

One of the funniest stories is we went to see Much Ado About Nothing (excellent film!) and there was a woman in our row who was laughing strangely and loudly at everything. I mean EVERYTHING, including the wedding scene, which is not in the least funny or meant to be. I think she didn't understand it and was trying to make people think she did or something.

I get off at 3:30pm so we can often make a week day matinee. That's usually when we go too.

Yeah. I have never been annoyed by someone sending a text message during a movie, but loud laughing at non-comical parts, babies crying, kids misbehaving, talking...just about everything else. I've been on the other side too. When "Annie" came out, my mom took the three of us kids to see it. My younger brother was just a baby, and mom couldn't get him to stop crying. She left the theater with him twice. he would stop crying then, so she would take him back in, and he would start up again. The third time, they came and asked her to step out with him, so she didn't bother coming back in. I was 8, and my older brother was 11. We were kinda freaked out about sitting alone in the theater, but you can bet your sweet bippy that my mom *never* took baby bro to a movie after that, not until he was about 7 or 8. (But TBH, I *still* refuse to watch movies with my younger brother because to this day, he is running his mouth throughout it. :laugh: ) Later, mom had told my older brother and me that she had been able to take us during our naptime when we were babies and we'd sleep through it all. Baby bro has always been loud though, and is to this day. :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until they ban cell phones in movie theaters completely. And huge groups of loud teenagers on Fridays and Saturdays.

A lot of theaters have begun catering to adults, making all films 18+ at night. (The one here also serves dinner and alcohol.)
    We usually go during the week in the afternoon -- it's WAY cheaper ($5 at one theater and $.50 at the other) and it's also when the man is off work. He works all weekend, so it's tough. There aren't usually a lot of people, even for new releases. But sometimes -- especially in the summer -- there have been teenagers there and they are usually quiet and well-behaved. I haven't had an issue with them.

What we have seen an awful lot are parents bringing very small children and infants and not taking them out when they get restless. Ridiculous. And sometimes it's to movies they REALLY shouldn't be at (such as Lone Survivor -- there weren't any when we went, but I've seen small children at movies like it).

But I really enjoy going to the theater to see a movie. It's an experience I enjoy when there aren't jerks around seeming to think they are in their own living rooms.

One of the funniest stories is we went to see Much Ado About Nothing (excellent film!) and there was a woman in our row who was laughing strangely and loudly at everything. I mean EVERYTHING, including the wedding scene, which is not in the least funny or meant to be. I think she didn't understand it and was trying to make people think she did or something.

I get off at 3:30pm so we can often make a week day matinee. That's usually when we go too.

Yeah. I have never been annoyed by someone sending a text message during a movie, but loud laughing at non-comical parts, babies crying, kids misbehaving, talking...just about everything else. I've been on the other side too. When "Annie" came out, my mom took the three of us kids to see it. My younger brother was just a baby, and mom couldn't get him to stop crying. She left the theater with him twice. he would stop crying then, so she would take him back in, and he would start up again. The third time, they came and asked her to step out with him, so she didn't bother coming back in. I was 8, and my older brother was 11. We were kinda freaked out about sitting alone in the theater, but you can bet your sweet bippy that my mom *never* took baby bro to a movie after that, not until he was about 7 or 8. (But TBH, I *still* refuse to watch movies with my younger brother because to this day, he is running his mouth throughout it. :laugh: ) Later, mom had told my older brother and me that she had been able to take us during our naptime when we were babies and we'd sleep through it all. Baby bro has always been loud though, and is to this day. :laugh:
    I have some tolerance when it's a kid's movie and when the parents at least try stepping out. But these days, they just sit there most of the time.

The woman laughing actually didn't annoy me because it was so ridiculous I just had to laugh at her laughing.
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    I went to Disneyland last weekend and it was terrible! I was waiting in line and these bratty kids in front of me were being so loud and rambunctious and annoying! I wanted to cuss them out and tell them all to be quiet!

I paid 39.95$ for that ticket so I could go on rides! Not wait in line so some kids could annoy the hell out of me! Drove me nutsss!!!!!!!
  • rml_16
    Options
    I went to Disneyland last weekend and it was terrible! I was waiting in line and these bratty kids in front of me were being so loud and rambunctious and annoying! I wanted to cuss them out and tell them all to be quiet!

I paid 39.95$ for that ticket so I could go on rides! Not wait in line so some kids could annoy the hell out of me! Drove me nutsss!!!!!!!

Did you go to Disneyland in 1985? And in which country?
  • jp619
    jp619 Posts: 20
    Options
    too bad this guy wasn't at the movie theatre in Colorado when that crazy red haired freak went ballistic.
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    too bad this guy wasn't at the movie theatre in Colorado when that crazy red haired freak went ballistic.

I know it would have been a quick three-round burst straight through his neck from behind one of the seat cushions. Lives would have been saved.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

So verbal humiliation. Got'cha. And I'm the rude one. LOL! You're funny.

If you're going to take your phone out during a movie, and ignore people when asked to put it away, you can't later complain that people are being rude to you.

An example:

"I cut in front of these people in line and they said mean things to me! They're so rude!"

:noway:

But are you self-centered enough to now disturb everyone else's movie watching experience with your "rude begets rude" antics?

Why does no one ever answer this question? If you are so distracted by texting to either get up from your seat in the middle of the row (because if you take your movie viewing so seriously there is no way that you are sitting a the side) and disturb 1 half of the your row and those immediately behind you, are you not actually causing more of a distraction to the theater than the texter?

There has to be an assessment of "impact" for each interaction in public. While you may think you are doing a social justice, many in the theater may just feel that you are distracting from the movie.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I turn off my phone. There have only been a few occasions in my life when it was on vibrate in my pocket.

There is middle ground ...

My expectation when I go to a movie is that other people are going to be there and their existence doesn't revolve around my tolerances/intolerences. 99% of the people have common sense and issues barely come up. In a theater, a distraction is the same for me whether someone who has to go to the bathroom or when a screen lights up from a text (I don't subscribe to the thought that bathroom breaks are necessarily involuntary when people drink jumbo caffeine filled sodas before the preview starts).

I like giving people the benefit of the doubt
    - the husband final talked his wife into getting a sitter and go out on a date. The new mom is a nervous wreck, and her phone on vibrate lets her relax enough. (I am glad they are out, the chance of a miniscule corner of the eye, distraction for me is cool under those circumstances)
    - the guy getting up to go to the bathroom has prostrate issues and is embarrassed more than I was fractionally distracted.
    - the guy, who picked his seat at the aisle near the back, and didn't slide over when others came is sitting there because he is always on call and doesn't want to disturb people if he happens to get notified.

I try to use better focus when
    - people talk during the movie,
    - excessive texting
    - multiple bathroom and concession breaks and conversations for order taking while climbing over

When it because a further issue, I say something, but I learned honey goes a lot farther than vinegar. Some days are easier than others, and usually it MY tolerance level that's decides how it goes, not theirs.
  • rml_16
    Options
    (I don't subscribe to the thought that bathroom breaks are necessarily involuntary when people drink jumbo caffeine filled sodas before the preview starts)

I don't drink those. I 99.9% of the time don't get anything from concessions. But my fiance decided last-minute one day he wanted to see a movie. I drink a lot of water through the day and during certain times of the month or if I had a lot of sodium the day before, my bathroom breaks are more urgent and during that particular movie, about halfway through, there was just no question I needed to go.

And bathroom breaks are you get up, you go, you come back. Rarely are people going multiple times over two hours.

I wouldn't say anything to someone who pulled out a phone and put it back and that was it. It would annoy me, but not enough to do or say anything about it. But if someone is constantly on the phone with the screen lit up and I can see it, that's a different story.

And, for the record, in my personal movie-going experience (from even before cell phones) I have never noticed people taking multiple trips to the lobby. Ever. I have, however, had more than one person take a call in the middle of a movie or text or play a game or check Facebook.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at the number of people in this thread justifying their rudeness.

I know, it is amazing isnt it? Some people just cant see it themselves.