my hubby paying me to lose weight

Options
My hubby gave me a great incentive to lose weight. He said he would pay me for every pound i lost. 1-10 pounds $10 a pound. 11-20 pounds $15 a pound..21-30 pounds $20 a pound. Anything over 30 pounds $25 a pound. I need to lose 42 pounds. Gained the majority of the weight when i quit smoking. I can do this !!!'

Replies

• MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie, my husband also offered incentive for me to get to goal. I was already 100% committed to a healthy new life so I took his bet, a new car, that I'd make it to goal by the spring. I'm 14 lbs away from a new Challenger! I won't hold him to it...just make him sweat a little. ;) My reward is feeling so super fantastic!
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it!
  • HollyB1223
    HollyB1223 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What a great way for your husband to show support for your hard work, in a tangible way! Something similar happened over the holidays, a charity I support did a weight-loss based fundraiser. We attempted to lose weight, and collect sponsors to cheer us on through pledges to the charity based on pounds lost. Well, I lost 5 lbs and then gained 10. So I ended up 5 in the negative, overall. :( But it probably helped me not to gain any more than that. Anyway, it's an awesome idea! Good luck, you can lose the weight!
  • KOOLSMILE
    KOOLSMILE Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Love that idea! So cool!
  • roksfarm
    roksfarm Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yep! Been there done that...and succeeded! Hey for me shopping makes the world go round!! :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Am I really the only one who finds this creepy?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would love it if someone would pay me to lose weight. But it would have to be someone other than my husband, because his money is already my money. Also, I think I might be a little insulted by the offer from him. It would seem like he's both saying I need to lose weight (something he's never said) and that he thinks I can't do it without the incentive.

But I'd love it if a stranger made the offer.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would love it if someone would pay me to lose weight. But it would have to be someone other than my husband, because his money is already my money. Also, I think I might be a little insulted by the offer from him. It would seem like he's both saying I need to lose weight (something he's never said) and that he thinks I can't do it without the incentive.

This.

I had a friend growing up whose parents paid her to log time on the treadmill. The novelty wore off pretty quickly, and then she just felt judged and defeated.
  • Chemburly12
    Options

I don't know if I find it creepy, but it's definitely odd. But whatever works for you!
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    The scale will go up and down, will you have to pay him every time it goes up?
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I find it creepy too. I would punch my husband if he suggested it. That being said, different strokes for different folks and all that. Whatever works for other people.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I think the husband angle is a little odd, BUT the idea of cash as an incentive is a motivator.
    I had an employer that had a wellness program. To kick it off, they offered $1 for every pound lost. They also allowed 30 minutes of company time (no need to clock out or use your lunch/breaks) to walk or exercise. There was a nice park located next to the building with a walking track, so a lot of us took them up on that. :smile:
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Although getting paid to lose weight would be a fun incentive it wouldn't have worked for me, my husband and I share all our money so it would be like paying myself!

What I did was declared that we would not go on another vacation until I hit my goal weight. It was a great incentive for me and my husband was more than happy to lend his support...he was dying to have a vacation! BTW, we went on a cruise right before xmas, a month after I hit goal!
  • cmmckay1
    cmmckay1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is creepy at all!! I am in 2 diet bets (dietbetter.com) that PAY me for losing weight and its the only thing that has worked in the last 12 years. Money motivates some people. It sure does me!!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    So... are you married to Christian Grey, OP? Because that sounds creepy... Fifty Shades of Creepy.
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options

When I first read it I thought it was insensitive of the husband, a little rude even. But then I realized that it's just supportive. He's supporting her by pushing her and I think that's sweet. I wish my SO would support me rather than try to push cheese and chocolate on me.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

That depends..

My boyfriend offered to buy me a new wardrobe (up to $1000) when I reached my goal weight, but he made this offer after I had already told him I had made the commitment and I think I had probably already lost a few pounds. Poor guy is probably now regretting it because he doubted my commitment (he will never do that again).

So good for you if he made the offer after you had committed but if he is 'bribing you' then I'd be worried.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it "creepy," but it's certainly external motivation rather than internal. I'm just glad that my own motivation is internal. I am becoming a better "me" for the sake of personal growth.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I could see offering to do something exciting to celebrate the weight loss. Maybe a pick your holiday vacation type thing or an all day shop-a-thon.

I'm not with someone at the moment but if I were I'd be very careful how I approached this. If she came to me and was like "I want to lose X lbs" I'd motivate her by working out together and maybe when we both reached our goals do the above.

OH and most important thing Good Luck and stay motivated!!!

You could make a commitment that if you lost 20 lbs you'd donate X percent of the earnings to a local charity (be kind of a cool idea for significant other to make a donation in your name for X lbs lost).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Creepy factor ONLY applies if it happened like this

DH> wifey- I'm going to pay you to lose weight.- meaning- I think you need to lose weight.

No creepy factor if it happens like this

Wifey> DH- I'm going to try to lose weight- what do you think/can you help

DH> sure- how about I offer you XX$ for every pound you lose.

context is EVERYTHING.