my hubby paying me to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the posts, and I am sorry if I am repeating something. I want to warn you before you get started. Do you think this might cause tension in your relationship? Weight loss is so back and forth, and as you lose fat you may gain muscle. This would result in getting healthier while weight does not change too much. Do you think you might feel discouraged and unappreciated if this happens?
    After my first month my boyfriend offered me a pedicure if I met my exercise goals. This was something that I could control and force myself to do. The number game seems too risky. Also, by putting a dollar amount don't you feel like hes paying to get you skinny (not necessarily healthy as it just focuses on numbers)? Doing special things for you would show how much he cares, and how he appreciates the way youre trying to change your life?

Note: you do not gain an appreciable amount of muscle at a deficit. That's just crap people tell themselves to feel less bad/fat when the scale doesn't move.

And on that note: bed time!

You know this isn't true, right? Worse than a 12 y/o troll.....

Oh dear. I see I'm going to have to stop goofing around for a second.

Okay then. Explain how, logically and woth supporting citations beyond that you personally think youve done it, you are able to build an appreciable muscle without being at a surplus. Keep in mind that women are lucky to build even a pound or two of muscle a month during a dedicated bulk (assuming that woman is doing it naturally) and that during a deficit you have no extra energy to put towards muscle growth because, hello, defict.

Please use small words my troll brain can comprehend.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    sorry samanthad1218...i didnt mean to imply you were saying he was controlling but a lot of the responses people had were saying he was. its ok to find it weird (not sure id agree with creepy, unless he was dressed up as a clown and giving her monopoly money while wearing no pants)

:laugh:

Deserving of a creepy clown gif:

clown-creepy-it-stephen-king-Favim.com-297261.gif

I wonder if these folks think it's creepy that I give my husband cash when he needs it, and that he is not on my checking account. When he asks me for something, and I give it to him, is it controlling because cash is involved? :laugh: :laugh:
  • Achrya
    Options
    I have not read all the posts, and I am sorry if I am repeating something. I want to warn you before you get started. Do you think this might cause tension in your relationship? Weight loss is so back and forth, and as you lose fat you may gain muscle. This would result in getting healthier while weight does not change too much. Do you think you might feel discouraged and unappreciated if this happens?
    After my first month my boyfriend offered me a pedicure if I met my exercise goals. This was something that I could control and force myself to do. The number game seems too risky. Also, by putting a dollar amount don't you feel like hes paying to get you skinny (not necessarily healthy as it just focuses on numbers)? Doing special things for you would show how much he cares, and how he appreciates the way youre trying to change your life?

Note: you do not gain an appreciable amount of muscle at a deficit. That's just crap people tell themselves to feel less bad/fat when the scale doesn't move.

YEAH!!!! SCREW SCIENCE!!!!!

Do you have some kind of radar that tells you when people are destroying science? Cause that timing is amazing.
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Here is a pretty article for you with lost of pictures so you can understand.

http://www.wikihow.com/Easily-Lose-Weight-and-Build-Muscle

If you have some extra time and want to learn about health why don't you subscribe to some academic journals and learn? I am sure you have a lot of free time on your hands. If you want specific citations to kinesiology journals I have access to many. I said she may lose fat as she gains muscle. This happens with everyone who gains muscle. Lates
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options

actually it is true. assuming a person eats a deficit you will not see less fat and added muscle. if you eat a deficit and work out then yes you will see added muscle weight. nothing extreme mind you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

If you have some extra time and want to learn about health why don't you subscribe to some academic journals and learn? I am sure you have a lot of free time on your hands. If you want specific citations to kinesiology journals I have access to many. I said she may lose fat as she gains muscle. This happens with everyone who gains muscle. Lates
    You post a wiki article and ten suggest people subscribe to journals?

That's ... that's epic.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My hubs didn't pay me, but he also didn't complain every time I did a wardrobe overhaul. :) (Then again, I mostly shopped at thrift and consignment shops.) AND... he gave a $150 gift card for Christmas to my favorite second hand store - Clothes Mentor. Since we do have a shared checking account, I paid for it too. HOWEVER, that is $150 that I can spend at my discretion without having someone say "You spent how much?"

Also, maybe the OP and her hubs have separate checking accounts? A friend of mine has always had her own checking account. Her paycheck goes into that and she uses that for the grocery money and other stuff. His checking account is used for the other monthly expenses. To each their own. :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

That's ... that's epic.

+ 2 for "epic"
  • Achrya
    Options

That amusing article says nothing about being at a deficit but rather seems to refer to the slow and tedious process of recomping while eating at maintenance.

Whereas I said the OP will not be gaining appreciable muscle at a deficit (which she must be at to lose weight) and then you called me a troll. So either prove that I am wrong and thus trolling or admit you jumped on me for nothing and cannot justify it.
  • cokekitty
    Options
    Am I really the only one who finds this creepy?

I don't know if I find it creepy, but it's definitely odd. But whatever works for you!

Creepy not so much, odd feels like a better word. Out of context it actually sounded horribly insulting and I was all fired up and ready to tell OP to drop him like it's hot. But hey, if it's a good thing, awesome! Go for it! Enjoy dat money qurl.
  • Achrya
    Options

That's ... that's epic.

I liked the part where it said to avoid processed food because your body doesn't even recognize it as food. Comedy gold.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    why do people get so grumpy on these forums? low blood sugar dieters, perhaps? ;P

I'm not sure if you're speaking about the folks talking about how kinda creepy it is, because honestly it is, my money and his money is our money in my marriage. However, I can see it motivating to lose weight, "Oh I can make an extra $10.00 to go buy those cute yoga pants if I lose 10 lbs, or whatever, it depends on how it was offered. I think I'd be a bit offended if my husband offered to pay me to lose weight though, his mom though, yeah she I expected it from. Now if the story went like she wanted to lose weight and kept on hassling him about it and ranting to him about wanting to lose weight, and he says "Tell you what, if this will motivate you, you can have this amount of money for spending if you lose this amount of weight and so on." That would be different, I mean after all, I kept ranting to him about it, and he is just trying to help me. In a guys mind I would assume he would just think he's helping.

God forbid someone run their household different from the way you run yours. I find it sad that you think it would be better if she nagged him into it.

My problem with it is not how they run their household, but that the pair is entering (or, more realistically, revealing) a control relationship. Paying someone to perform some function is inherently about control, and I think that's something that has no place in a marriage. I find it degrading.

She is an adult and she agreed to it. She could refuse the money if she wanted, but obviously she has no problem with it.

I think the problem is that some are assuming that the money makes it about control. I have never been in a controlling relationship but did have controlling and abusive parents. If they wanted to control me they would just lock me in my room until I agreed to do what they said. Paying me would have been much better.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Am I really the only one who finds this creepy?

Nope, me too. :huh:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I admit, I only skimmed the responses……
    What the hell is going on in here? (other than the pretty article :huh: )
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • Achrya
    Options
    I admit, I only skimmed the responses……
    What the hell is going on in here? (other than the pretty article :huh: )

Stuff