In love with a guy who is engaged!

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
Looking for a little advice. I met a guy while at work, and we really hit it off. We are very close friends, and seem to have everything in common. We get along better than anyone I've ever met in my life, and quickly became good friends. We talk a lot outside of work, and even text each other on the weekends and nights and holidays. I now consider him one of my best friends. Only problem is, he is engaged. And to my defense, we flirted and I fell for him before he ever told me he was engaged.

I flirt quite a lot with this guy, and he flirts right back to me. He also confides things in me that he says he can't tell his fiance because she won't understand, or she just doesn't "get it" like I do. He invited me to the movies one night when his fiance was staying late at work. He hasn't tried anything, and I haven't either, but there is a ton of flirting going on here and also deep conversations. I honestly feel like if I had met this guy and he was single, we would be together in a heartbeat and I feel like this is the guy I should marry. But he is engaged!

This job is coming to an end, and I feel like it's now or never. I feel like if I don't say something to him, I will live with regret for the rest of my life and always wonder "what if?". I feel that the worst thing that could happen is he never talks to me again and marries his fiance. And then the best thing that could happen is that he doesn't.

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice for me?

Replies

• heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You know he's engaged, don't be a home wrecker.

There are other guys in this world, I promise.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Back off. A decent person would.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    If you end up engaged to him he will just find a "new best friend" and will tell her you "just don't get him".

Move on and be glad he is someone elses problem.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    This isn't your decision to make for him. He asked her to marry him for a reason. If he wanted to be with you, he had a chance before he was engaged. You're young, you're cute, someone else will come along.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    hello beautiful
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Move on.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

What? He's not married, she wouldn't BE a freaking "home wrecker."

People get out of engagements ALL THE TIME. Get engaged to someone, then they meet someone else, etc. etc.

The way I see it, there isn't a ring on his finger, anything could happen still.
    Tell him how you feel, be completely honest about it, and if he feels the same way, he'll have some serious thinking to do. If he keeps playing you along, while remaining engaged to be married, he's a d-bag playing around with your feelings and you need to get away.

And if he marries his fiance... Do not pursue!
  • dlashawn5
    dlashawn5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My mama always told me "you get back what you give out" Don't mess with that man, he made his decision. Let it go and move on!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    hmmm honestly tell him how you feel and then leave it at that

if its meant to be it will be
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

This.gif
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I agree about backing off. Its only being respectful.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Go for it.
    You're pretty cute and that's all that really matters in the end anyway, right?

Right?
  • WhiskyMania
    WhiskyMania Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    He's engaged, which part of that don't you understand. Stop being such a naive little girl, he's probably trying to shag numerous other girls too, he's a snake.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Posts like these are usually trolls...but I'll answer anyway.

GTFO.

There, that was easy. If he feels the same way about you he would do the right thing and break off the engagement and be with you. (Important note, I said he would break off the engagement BEFORE asking you out).

If he asks you out or makes a move before he's broken it off, he will do the same to you.

If he goes through with the marriage, then he doesn't really feel the same way about you.

Either way, your job here is to back the ____ off and let what will happen to happen.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Walk away.
    /thread
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    You really have to ask?
    And to the person who said it's ok if he's not married yet wow! Would hate to be your partner
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Dont be a home wrecker...move on. How would you feel if you were the fiance in this situation?
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    He sounds like a douche. I would never hook up with someone who treated women like that. Even if he dumps his fiance, he was still a douche to her and would likely do the same to you at some point.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you end up engaged to him he will just find a "new best friend" and will tell her you "just don't get him".

Move on and be glad he is someone elses problem.

This one sounds like good advice.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If he'll flirt around with you while he's engaged to someone else, do you really want to be involved with him? Sounds like someone with commitment issues to me.
This discussion has been closed.