Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Just an observation....almost scared to post!

Replies

• Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Many get tired of seeing the same question over and over again especially when it pertains to a fad diet or quick fix. I have never posted a question because I always do a search first and have always found many posts about what I was wondering. Many are sarcastic but there are quite a few who really know their stuff and will give you valid advice. You have to take the forums with a grain of salt. Find the answers that are genuine and knowledgeable and ignore the rest.
  • we've gotten away from what is important here:

98.gif

tumblr_m39dd8swYK1rp26sto1_400.gif

13sJJ.gif

150.gif.pagespeed.ce.2YmAgAyET9.gif

willy-wonka-you-get-nothing.gif

I skinned a cat in college A&P and then took a bone cracker to expose it's spinal cord for extra credit and still didn't pass the class by 0.04%. Not a single ounce of guilt. That's the Weird Science in me.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    we've gotten away from what is important here:

98.gif

Holy crap - I just noticed that that was bread.

:laugh:

Bread is bad, right?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    we've gotten away from what is important here:

98.gif

Holy crap - I just noticed that that was bread.

:laugh:

Bread is bad, right?

Fluffy would consider that as fact.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    I'll just leave this here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1088600-dear-mean-people-of-mfp?hl=dear+mean+people

Read the original post of that thread.

I'm going to have to bookmark it soon, there are so many "mean people" threads lately.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Oh, new idea.

Instead of the MFP Bingo card with all the things we see, lets make one for all the things we're called

"bully"
    "elitist"
    "snob"
    "mean person"
    "clearly on the payroll of Big Sugar"

The free space, ironically, would be "helpful", because without fail, the members of the 'wolf pack' or whatever help a ton of people on a daily basis.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    DAMN people! Your remarks could be a little kinder...

She was just stating the obvious and I believe her point has been proven by the way that 90% have jumped in with rude/sarcastic comments...
    Of course people are mean on here.. Most are starving and cranky!! :explode: LOL!! :tongue:

LOL LOVE this comment :)
    So it's ok for you to be mean but it's not ok for anyone else. Got it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    If you think this place is mean, I recommend that you never post anything on the internet. Ever.

Because this place is rainbows and sunshine compared to most.

If you want to brave the waters, pay attention to what you write, and be careful not to come across as snippy - it's easy to do. We rely on tone of voice and facial expression to communicate more than you'd think, and when we can't use either one, well, mistakes get made by reader and writer alike. If you ask for advice, don't turn around and make excuses for why no one's advice will work for you. If you make a mistake, own up to it. Don't keep insisting you're right. And don't post the same thing as another post on the main page. That's just annoying.

Mainly, relax. Don't take things personally. We don't know you, and you don't know us. Don't make our comments any more important than they should be.

43591-THIS-gif-ECaV.gif

I've been on *lots* of internet forums, like, ever since there *was* an internet. There has only been *one* forum I've been on that was as nice as this community, and it no longer exists. (It poofed in 2002 :ohwell:)

The mods are *all over* any kind of insult that happens here. All anyone has to do is click "report post," and if someone is insulting another member, they are violating the ToS and the mods will deal with it.

And yes, don't take things personally! Seriously!
  • I haven't been posting or even reading these posts very much until recently, but wow.....has anyone else noticed how mean people can be? I'm afraid to ask any questions for fear of being ridiculed for being utterly ignorant about how my own body works. Yes, I'd like to lose weight; Yes, I realize it takes hard work and dedication; Yes, I am HUMAN and make mistakes, excuses, missteps, etc. No one is perfect.

As I said, just an observation.

I'd say you are mostly incorrect in your assessment(s).

The only people that get "ridiculed" are the ones that have no clue what they are talking about. Yet, they insist that they are correct, even when presented with actual scientific evidence/proof of the opposite of what they are saying. And they continue to believe the broscience and/or pseudoscience that "supports" their claims.

I guess that's not entirely true, either. I've seen many of those people "ridicule" those that have actually studied and learned how things actually work because they refuse to understand that they don't know everything. There is also a subset of posters that get "ridiculed" due to their affiliations with certain fitness-related companies. Outside of those few cases, it's typically fine.

If you really have questions, I would recommend using MFP's search feature. I say that I "would," but the search feature here is terrible. Try it if you like, but don't be surprised if you go through three pages of results - all referring you to the same 2 threads. Ask the community. You'll get answers. Listen to the people that can provide actual scientific studies to support their claims - not people telling you to watch faux documentaries or youtube videos or read blogs.

And I would most wholeheartedly disagree with this assessment. I once read a post about 6 months ago where a lovely lady was asking how to increase the calories in her meals because she was not reaching her minimum. People jumped on her like nobody's business, flat out asking if she was stupid. On the positive side, there were many people who recognized what her question was (asking for ideas to add to her current meal plan) and offered excellent advice like adding feta cheese, chicken or walnuts to your salad, etc.

You will find very helpful people here. Keep in mind, there are thousands of people on MFP so you will get responses of all types. Ignore the hurtful, judgmental or non-helpful replies and focus on those who genuinely want to help.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Haven't read through the thread yet, so I'm posting this to make it easier to catch up later, but can someone tell me why I'm not losing weight? Is it because I'm replacing the fat with muscle? This seems like the best thread to ask in.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Thanks for the entertainment everybody - great lunch break!
  • cooky_monster
    cooky_monster Posts: 68 Member
    I wouldn't say that there are loads of mean people here, maybe a select few, but I personally think that most of the MFP members are very friendly and helpful :smile: I think possibly people reply to topics and sometimes their advice may come across as a little blunt or insensitive but they usually don't mean to be rude.

I think another factor could be that some of the more knowledgeable members here get a little tired of posting the same old info to newbies and wish they would search for old topics rather than posting new ones on topics that have been done and dusted countless times already :yawn:

But always listen! Very often the best advice is the hardest to hear :ohwell: sad but true
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Back in for bullying cats.
    bully-cat-dragging-a-dog.gif
    cat_d1df47_348475.jpg
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    1306949670_boxing_with_a_cat.gif
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Snip because holy cow this is getting long.
    And that's part of the issue, that Google tailors searches based on your history unless you choose to turn that feature off. When I search "raspberry ketones" without having searched for it before, the first several entries (excluding Wikipedia, which has a bad rep among some people for some reason) are positive endorsements including Dr. Oz, who for some reason still has credibility with millions of Americans.

I'm not saying we shouldn't correct people. I'm saying we should understand that they don't know better and not take our frustration out on them.

Interesting. Regardless, I have no sympathy for someone asking about something for which they have clearly spent ZERO time learning about.
    Isn't asking on these forums an attempt to learn about things?

Publicly posing the question to thousands of strangers on the internet should never be someone's first step to learning about a supplement.

SOOOO much truth in that statement, yet so few follow this common sense approach (smh)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    cat-puppy-hug-gif.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I haven't been posting or even reading these posts very much until recently, but wow.....has anyone else noticed how mean people can be? I'm afraid to ask any questions for fear of being ridiculed for being utterly ignorant about how my own body works. Yes, I'd like to lose weight; Yes, I realize it takes hard work and dedication; Yes, I am HUMAN and make mistakes, excuses, missteps, etc. No one is perfect.

The only people that get "ridiculed" are the ones that have no clue what they are talking about. Yet, they insist that they are correct, even when presented with actual scientific evidence/proof of the opposite of what they are saying. And they continue to believe the broscience and/or pseudoscience that "supports" their claims.

I guess that's not entirely true, either. I've seen many of those people "ridicule" those that have actually studied and learned how things actually work because they refuse to understand that they don't know everything. There is also a subset of posters that get "ridiculed" due to their affiliations with certain fitness-related companies. Outside of those few cases, it's typically fine.

If you really have questions, I would recommend using MFP's search feature. I say that I "would," but the search feature here is terrible. Try it if you like, but don't be surprised if you go through three pages of results - all referring you to the same 2 threads. Ask the community. You'll get answers. Listen to the people that can provide actual scientific studies to support their claims - not people telling you to watch faux documentaries or youtube videos or read blogs.

And I would most wholeheartedly disagree with this assessment. I once read a post about 6 months ago where a lovely lady was asking how to increase the calories in her meals because she was not reaching her minimum. People jumped on her like nobody's business, flat out asking if she was stupid. On the positive side, there were many people who recognized what her question was (asking for ideas to add to her current meal plan) and offered excellent advice like adding feta cheese, chicken or walnuts to your salad, etc.

You will find very helpful people here. Keep in mind, there are thousands of people on MFP so you will get responses of all types. Ignore the hurtful, judgmental or non-helpful replies and focus on those who genuinely want to help.

Perhaps you could link us to this thread.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Back in for bullying cats.
    bully-cat-dragging-a-dog.gif
    cat_d1df47_348475.jpg

funny-gifs-bully-cat-stuffs-cat-in-box.gif
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    walkaway.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I haven't been posting or even reading these posts very much until recently, but wow.....has anyone else noticed how mean people can be? I'm afraid to ask any questions for fear of being ridiculed for being utterly ignorant about how my own body works. Yes, I'd like to lose weight; Yes, I realize it takes hard work and dedication; Yes, I am HUMAN and make mistakes, excuses, missteps, etc. No one is perfect.

Perhaps you could link us to this thread.

Request 2nded.
This discussion has been closed.