Just an observation....almost scared to post!

Options

Replies

• strongterra
    strongterra Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You aren't the first to make the observation, and you won't be the last either.

I have been here for a bit more than a year, and like any other open space on the internet there will be all kinds of people. BUT, I have found that for the most part everyone who has taken the time to help me out, answer my questions (even the crazy ones from when I first started) are all very nice people with a lot of knowledge.

As for the responses that are "mean" just keep in mind a few things
    1) Look for and read the helpful details people offer up
    2) Don't ask the same question 500 times because you don't really like the answer
    3) You are a stranger to the forum, the other posters are strangers to you. Nothing is personal, so don't let it get to you.

Best wishes with your choice to get healthier for life!

I wish I could not only like.. but love this!!!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the responses, but for the most part I don't see many mean comments. I have a pretty thick skin though, and sometimes I come off as an a-hole....sooooooo, long story short, it helps to have a thick skin if you are going to put anything on the internet. It also helps to pose questions correctly...if you sound "whiny" (no offense), people might screw with you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I thought this one was destined to roll but it is slowing down significantly.

Too many dead horses around to beat all of them.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Snip because holy cow this is getting long.
    And that's part of the issue, that Google tailors searches based on your history unless you choose to turn that feature off. When I search "raspberry ketones" without having searched for it before, the first several entries (excluding Wikipedia, which has a bad rep among some people for some reason) are positive endorsements including Dr. Oz, who for some reason still has credibility with millions of Americans.

I'm not saying we shouldn't correct people. I'm saying we should understand that they don't know better and not take our frustration out on them.

Interesting. Regardless, I have no sympathy for someone asking about something for which they have clearly spent ZERO time learning about.
    Isn't asking on these forums an attempt to learn about things?

Publicly posing the question to thousands of strangers on the internet should never be someone's first step to learning about a supplement.
  • alwaysfitter
    alwaysfitter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Is this the right forum to ask about Shakeology or the dangers of CrossFit?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    the difficulty is, when someone posts something that's just plain stupid, dangerous and/or a total con, you have to tell them the truth, because that's the good, honest, decent thing to do.

but there really isn't a way to say "seriously, that's a total con and a waste of money, it's not healthy at all and it doesn't work, please don't do that to yourself" that isn't going to upset someone who's got their heart set on the idea that this con is going to magically melt away the fat. Not even if you insert words like please and put it in a few extra modal verbs and an unreal conditional to make it less direct. Not even if you replace the word "you...." with "If it was me I'd...." And if you include nice pretty smileys like :flowerforyou: they just think you're being sarcastic....
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    People are mean.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    And that's part of the issue, that Google tailors searches based on your history unless you choose to turn that feature off. When I search "raspberry ketones" without having searched for it before, the first several entries (excluding Wikipedia, which has a bad rep among some people for some reason) are positive endorsements including Dr. Oz, who for some reason still has credibility with millions of Americans.

I'm not saying we shouldn't correct people. I'm saying we should understand that they don't know better and not take our frustration out on them.

Interesting. Regardless, I have no sympathy for someone asking about something for which they have clearly spent ZERO time learning about.

Publicly posing the question to thousands of strangers on the internet should never be someone's first step to learning about a supplement.
    But to the demographic that uses the internet almost exclusively for Facebook and reading blogs, which is a large portion of this site because they tend to be middle aged overweight housewives, that's exactly what they think it should be. The best course of action is to gently correct them.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Of course people are mean on here.. Most are starving and cranky!! :explode: LOL!! :tongue:

LOL LOVE this comment :)

But weren't you just saying that our remarks should be kinder? And shaming people for being rude and snarky? So .... :huh:

UMMM YEAH and I also saw that the person who said that was making a JOKE! Exactly why I said people should lighten up!!!!!!
    Now I'm really thinking that some should get a life!

I'm curious...

...but in your 48 posts in the almost-three years you've been here...

...how many were calling out people for the tone of their posts...

...and how many were providing helpful advice to questions in the forums?

If this thread is any indication, the answers are "most" and "few", respectively.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options

the forums are a great place to discuss what you have learned from your research and possibly gain a greater understanding through the discussion. They should not be the place you look to first for information.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

You lost points for being too literal. "Here we go again" and "This is going to be good" are insulting the poster. You know this. You're not stupid.

Here, I believe, lies the issue. You quoted those two things. Neither of those (the first one is close, but not an actual quote from that thread) quotes was in that thread.

This means, of course, that you are seeing things that aren't actually there and most likely projecting your own issues onto other posters.

Not to mention that those two phrases (that aren't actual quotes) don't actually insult the poster. Anticipating the impending smackdown of a post is not the same thing as insulting the actual poster.
  • jonnythan
    Options

the forums are a great place to discuss what you have learned from your research and possibly gain a greater understanding through the discussion. They should not be the place you look to first for information.

And if forums are the first place you go, the first act should be a search of that forum.

It seems reasonable to expect that a fitness forum that has thousands of users has had discussions about raspberry ketones once or twice.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Sort of. But think about it: log onto MFP. Make your way to forums. Create thread. Wait (sometimes a loooong time) for responses - some of which may be only one or two. Refresh page, if responses aren't present. Repeat refresh, if necessary, or leave and come back later.

Or...

Type subject into search engine. Receive several responses instantly.

In both cases, you'll either have to consider the source or research further. Why not research the info to begin with?
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I would rather just post and read the helpful messages back and ignore the negative ones. *shrugs*
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The best course of action is to gently correct them.

Well perhaps you should do that then, and let other posters respond in the fashion they think is best.

Imagine that!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    LOL I am waiting for the wolf pack to jump in...
    HeuNfVl.jpg \m/

I love moon moon. I want to adopt him.

Moon Moon looks like my dog LOL

I want to meet your dog. When I adopt moon moon they can play together.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options

And if forums are the first place you go, the first act should be a search of that forum.

It seems reasonable to expect that a fitness forum that has thousands of users has had discussions about raspberry ketones once or twice.
    I approve of this amendment!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I don't have that much of an issue about supplements minus those that don't seem to want any negative feedback even if it could mean saving them money or keeping them from setting themselves up for a rage quit.

The ones I don't understand are posting asking how many ounces are in a cup of water or if ice counts as water.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Ignore them, move on, it's the internet, it's shouldn't be so serious.
This discussion has been closed.