So can we put this topic to bed now?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This is EXACTLY why our life expectancy dropped when we discovered how to refine sugar.

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

See. All the info proving the point I was trying to make. None of the work.

Though I'm pretty sure we were refining sugar before the US was founded
    All Countries life expectancy went up just not the US.........lately though the US's world ranking has dropped from if I remember correctly, 11th place not too many years ago to 42 or around there.......basically not good comparatively speaking.

Any chance this is caused by obesity from excess consumption > activity?

No, Jof. We are the only country that eats refined sugar. The rest of the world switched to sucrose about 15 years ago.

But...

I mean...

But that's...

...uh...

Um...

(Man, I need to get out of the country more often...)
    lol........I found this, it has a little more detail.

http://www.annualreviews.org/eprint/iESYF775U2MwVfrxfAR2/full/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031811-124649

Interesting hypotheses of causality. Sounds almost political even.
    Yeah, that must be it.

Meh, I'm not that vested in the debate. I'm mostly interested in my n=1 and n=6 studies...and so far, we're all in remarkably good health, t=9 through 45 years. *shrug*
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    This is EXACTLY why our life expectancy dropped when we discovered how to refine sugar.

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

All Countries life expectancy went up just not the US.........lately though the US's world ranking has dropped from if I remember correctly, 11th place not too many years ago to 42 or around there.......basically not good comparatively speaking.

No, Jof. We are the only country that eats refined sugar. The rest of the world switched to sucrose about 15 years ago.

But...

I mean...

But that's...

...uh...

Um...

http://www.annualreviews.org/eprint/iESYF775U2MwVfrxfAR2/full/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031811-124649

Yeah, that must be it.

Meh, I'm not that vested in the debate. I'm mostly interested in my n=1 and n=6 studies...and so far, we're all in remarkably good health, t=9 through 45 years. *shrug*
    Me neither. I was just trying to dilute the sugar rush.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

But...

I mean...

But that's...

...uh...

Um...

Yeah, that must be it.

I find it especially interesting that the anti-sugar brigade tends to be almost exclusively people who have a lot of excess weight to lose and are telling the successful people how they're doing it all wrong.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I thought we put this to bed eight hours ago.

Get back in your bed. There are no monsters.

also. in. against my earlier better judgment, it is now worth following.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    People with a firm sense of moral superiority live, on average, an additional one point three two lifetimes-worth of self-satisfaction compared to a 'normal person,' ceteris paribus.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. The teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)

Maybe your daughter stays a size 2 because she knows how much it means to mommy dearest.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. The teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)

Maybe your daughter stays a size 2 because she knows how much it means to mommy dearest.

My kid is 16. He eats all foods. Not even in moderation.

He also has never had a weight problem.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

But his teeth? Does he have any teeth?

Of course he does, he's a super handsome and intelligent young man. I've seen pics.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

Of course he does, he's a super handsome and intelligent young man. I've seen pics.

He's alright.

I suppose.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

He's alright.

I suppose.

He's alright, alright! 2 more years and i'll stop feeling like a creep.
    I don't like the cone of shame.:embarassed:
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

He's alright.

I suppose.

*looks about awkwardly*
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

blkqd.jpg
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Sugar. Nature's meth.:ohwell:
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    oh-shi.gif
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. He teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)

I can't even start with this

Because.....? If sugar was just found today and had to go through all the FDA approvals, it would fail. It is very bad for all of us.

:noway:

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Skimmed through the responses so may have missed it, but did anyone link the study that apparently purports to show this causality?

Also, the article does not say what the OP or even its own title is even saying.

For example "But the Canadian Sugar Institute said the scientific consensus is that “there is no evidence of harm attributed to current sugar consumption levels. Dietary advice must be based on the totality of evidence, not single studies suggesting an association between individual dietary factors and disease.”
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

I don't live in the States but I found this. It's not from sugar though.

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13497

Interesting read. Did a search for sugar - did not come up once =). However, automobiles did - either directly or indirectly.
  • nonafit
    nonafit Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    What I learnt from this is

:yawn: ...people just like to argue for the sake of arguing....please continue...I am reading :flowerforyou:
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Skimmed through the responses so may have missed it, but did anyone link the study that apparently purports to show this causality?

Also, the article does not say what the OP or even its own title is even saying.

For example "But the Canadian Sugar Institute said the scientific consensus is that “there is no evidence of harm attributed to current sugar consumption levels. Dietary advice must be based on the totality of evidence, not single studies suggesting an association between individual dietary factors and disease.”
    Yes I saw that, which is true. Studies never show causality for single ingredients, but more toward lifestyle and declining health markers in certain populations and not in individuals.
  • neanderthin
    Options

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

I don't live in the States but I found this. It's not from sugar though.

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13497

Interesting read. Did a search for sugar - did not come up once =). However, automobiles did - either directly or indirectly.
    That link had nothing to do with sugar, it was a counter point to the fact that Americans life expectancy has gone up since 1900. It kinda seemed like everything is good, look, we live longer.