So can we put this topic to bed now?

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. He teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)

I can't even start with this

Because.....? If sugar was just found today and had to go through all the FDA approvals, it would fail. It is very bad for all of us.

What specific FDA approvals would it fail?

What ever tests a product has to go through to be approved for human consumption. Not a safe product.

That doesn't answer my question at all. I'm asking what specifically is the danger that would cause it to fail the approval process. You must have one or more specific risks you've assessed to make this judgement.

What about new sugar products that come out and pass FDA approval? Agave nectar is relatively new. It goes through a chemical process very similar to the one used to make HFCS from corn. It's not JUST refined sugar, it's SUPER refined sugar, converted to about 90% fructose (whereas the HFCS in food products is only 55% fructose, table sugar is 50/50 glucose/fructose). How did that pass?

Foods don't have to pass FDA approval. Only drugs.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. He teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)

Because.....? If sugar was just found today and had to go through all the FDA approvals, it would fail. It is very bad for all of us.

What ever tests a product has to go through to be approved for human consumption. Not a safe product.

:indifferent:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I home cooked using honey. It's much better for you than white sugar or even brown sugar. But I also cut the sugar in 1/2 of what the recipe called for. Didn't use it very often either. Only on special occasions. Never missed it either.

Honey - honey is made of sugar. Didn't the bees tell you?

Regurgitated sugar at that.

That must be what gives it its magical 'safe' properties.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This is EXACTLY why our life expectancy dropped when we discovered how to refine sugar.

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

See. All the info proving the point I was trying to make. None of the work.

Though I'm pretty sure we were refining sugar before the US was founded
    All Countries life expectancy went up just not the US.........lately though the US's world ranking has dropped from if I remember correctly, 11th place not too many years ago to 42 or around there.......basically not good comparatively speaking.

Any chance this is caused by obesity from excess consumption > activity?

No, Jof. We are the only country that eats refined sugar. The rest of the world switched to sucrose about 15 years ago.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

So...

...how long ago did you personally cut out all sugar?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    This is EXACTLY why our life expectancy dropped when we discovered how to refine sugar.

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

All Countries life expectancy went up just not the US.........lately though the US's world ranking has dropped from if I remember correctly, 11th place not too many years ago to 42 or around there.......basically not good comparatively speaking.

No, Jof. We are the only country that eats refined sugar. The rest of the world switched to sucrose about 15 years ago.

But...

I mean...

But that's...

...uh...

Um...

(Man, I need to get out of the country more often...)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    In.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

It's like the dihydrogen monoxide thing all over again.

Are you aware of the fact that the body has an entire organ that deals with balancing blood sugar levels, and carries around symbiotes inside each of your trillions of cells whose function is to oxidize sugar to provide energy?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

But...

I mean...

But that's...

...uh...

Um...

lol........I found this, it has a little more detail.

http://www.annualreviews.org/eprint/iESYF775U2MwVfrxfAR2/full/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031811-124649
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I home cooked using honey. It's much better for you than white sugar or even brown sugar. But I also cut the sugar in 1/2 of what the recipe called for. Didn't use it very often either. Only on special occasions. Never missed it either.

HONEY IS FOR BABY BEES!!!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options

This exactly. Which is what has enabled penguins to flourish in Antarctica: regurgitating food for the chicks. This is why we humans fail.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. The teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)

How old is your perfect size two daughter?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Oh look. There are crazy people on the Internet.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Well don't scream at me! I never touch the stuff!! Because...bee spit!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This exactly. Which is what has enabled penguins to flourish in Antarctica: regurgitating food for the chicks. This is why we humans fail.

I choose failure.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

But there's like a thousand humans for every penguin. And we have pizza. If anyone's failing it's the penguins.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

*looks down at tea*

Buzz Buzz
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

Well don't scream at me! I never touch the stuff!! Because...bee spit!!
    Well I hear so much of that regarding cows. But who's going to white knight for the bee?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

But...

I mean...

But that's...

...uh...

Um...

http://www.annualreviews.org/eprint/iESYF775U2MwVfrxfAR2/full/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031811-124649

Interesting hypotheses of causality. Sounds almost political even.

ETA: Above thought based on a remarkably quick skim of the link.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

But...

I mean...

But that's...

...uh...

Um...

Interesting hypotheses of causality. Sounds almost political even.
    Yeah, that must be it.