So this was something new today

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I also do NOT think that naked = sexy just in general. Naked can be pretty damn ugly even on someone who I'd normally consider attractive.
  • Stubbornfighter
    Stubbornfighter Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That defeats the purpose of equality. Someone should not feel as if they aren't welcome in the changing room because they are not comfortable. You're skewing the scale. I know when I had to change in the locker rooms I was uncomfortable because girls were very forward about expressing interest. This isn't about gay or straight, it's about being respectful and giving everyone their space. I doubt the older gentleman would have been bothered if the aforementioned gay man was doing his own thing , minding his own business, change, shower, leave as everyone should. We don't know however so it is not anyone's place to make judgments on him for letting his discomfort be known.

sorry, i dont give the benefit of the doubt to the elderly generation to have a basis for their hatred/ mistrust of minority groups.

i bet a more likely scenario is he doesnt like gay people cause they're gay, not cause they make unwanted passes at him

You're judging a man you don't know just as you claim the older man did. You are also placing him into the 'elderly generation' group and passing a stereotype just because he is said to be older. I'm merely saying that we don't know what happened, and shouldn't be so quick to judge. Nothing could have happened, just as easily as something could have. I try to keep an open mind unless I see the situation myself.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I literally laughed out loud when I read this. If I were the manager, I would just tell the guy (completely deadpan), that the gym had no gay members to my knowledge.

Who is looking at people in the locker room anyway? I'm a mess after I workout...not hot at all.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Any discomfort I've ever experienced in a locker room has been due to my own personal body hangups. I take no issue with sharing a locker room with another woman be she gay, straight, bi, or transgender.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    That defeats the purpose of equality. Someone should not feel as if they aren't welcome in the changing room because they are not comfortable. You're skewing the scale. I know when I had to change in the locker rooms I was uncomfortable because girls were very forward about expressing interest. This isn't about gay or straight, it's about being respectful and giving everyone their space. I doubt the older gentleman would have been bothered if the aforementioned gay man was doing his own thing , minding his own business, change, shower, leave as everyone should. We don't know however so it is not anyone's place to make judgments on him for letting his discomfort be known.

sorry, i dont give the benefit of the doubt to the elderly generation to have a basis for their hatred/ mistrust of minority groups.

i bet a more likely scenario is he doesnt like gay people cause they're gay, not cause they make unwanted passes at him

You're judging a man you don't know just as you claim the older man did. You are also placing him into the 'elderly generation' group and passing a stereotype just because he is said to be older. I'm merely saying that we don't know what happened, and shouldn't be so quick to judge. Nothing could have happened, just as easily as something could have. I try to keep an open mind unless I see the situation myself.

the OP said elderly, not older.

And the elderly gentlman said "gay members", that inlies all gay members and does not refernce to specific incident or even a specific person. When a person has a problem with the "gay members" at a gym i will assume they are a biggot
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    How did he even know they were gay?

And Maximus - what about bisexuals? Seems to me we are going to need a lot of locker rooms!

ETA: straight male; no problems with sharing a locker room

You're right. Right now, from a locker room level, women are protected from men who are sexually attracted to them. Why aren't men afforded that same luxury?

And to the others on this thread.... take this to another level... Are you comfortable with a gay individual being in the locker room of your child?

I don't have any problem with gays in the locker room, long as they, like everyone else, keep it to them selves.

What bugs me are the guys who "hang out" in the locker room and insist on spending an eternity standing around buck naked. Seems like there's always one guy. Dude, I'm glad you are comfortable with your body, but don't swing that thing at me, gay straight or otherwise.
    Nope, don't care one bit. If a gay guy is attracted to me in a locker room...so what? I'll let the insecure folks of the world worry about that.

So you're cool if I go into your wife's locker room? I mean, surely she isn't insecure about that.

In theory, there shouldn't be any issue with a co-ed locker room. As long as you kept the same "rules" I assume for a gay man in the guys locker room. If someone in there is gay, I assume I'd get in and out without ever knowing.

In practice, I doubt it would go as smoothly in a co-ed locker room.

You are exactly right however our society discriminates against the heterosexual male.

especially us white ones!

Its so hard in todays society to be a heteroseual male :(

hard.
  • Stubbornfighter
    Options

And the elderly gentlman said "gay members", that inlies all gay members and does not refernce to specific incident or even a specific person. When a person has a problem with the "gay members" at a gym i will assume they are a biggot

I'm just pointing out that saying "sorry, i dont give the benefit of the doubt to the elderly generation to have a basis for their hatred/ mistrust of minority groups." is mistrusting a group. I know plenty of elderly that have no problem with anyone but your statement is in a way speaking of yourself in the language choice. Stereotyping any group is not okay.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    it smells like old fedoras in here

too many mra's saying silly ****..abort aboooooooooort thread
  • Rage_Phish
    Options

I'm just pointing out that saying "sorry, i dont give the benefit of the doubt to the elderly generation to have a basis for their hatred/ mistrust of minority groups." is mistrusting a group. I know plenty of elderly that have no problem with anyone but your statement is in a way speaking of yourself in the language choice. Stereotyping any group is not okay.

no, i dont give them (or anyone for that matter) the benefit of the doubt to him to have a basis for his dislike/ distrust/ or attempt try to infringe on the rights of a minority group, which is what this guy was doing when he said "gay members should ahve their own locker rooms"
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    As an evangelical Christian I'm not a big proponent of the gay lifestyle, BUT that doesn't mean I hate or even dislike anyone because of their lifestyle choices (& yes, I believe it IS a choice). That being said, I doubt seriously I'd be a "temptation" to anyone. In the past, when I might have been, I had men ask me out or rub my shoulder (yeah, a little creepy) in the locker room, I simply told them I'm not interested and it was a non-event. I'm more worried about guys that bring their 4 & 5 year old daughters into the men's locker room. That I take issue with. Let, the bashing begin!!!
  • Stubbornfighter
    Options

no, i dont give them (or anyone for that matter) the benefit of the doubt to him to have a basis for his dislike/ distrust/ or attempt try to infringe on the rights of a minority group, which is what this guy was doing when he said "gay members should ahve their own locker rooms"

-sighs- Let's agree to disagree. I just meant it is unfair to label people from the elderly generation as all having hate and distrust for people.
  • Rage_Phish
    Options

-sighs- Let's agree to disagree. I just meant it is unfair to label people from the elderly generation as all having hate and distrust for people.

lol, yes i agree its unfair to assume all elderly people are hateful.

and now that you have moved the goalposts far enough from your original statement, i agree.

Sorry if i was unclear in my original post
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Don't care unless somebody makes a move on me. If everybody keeps their hands to themselves it's all good. I've never been hit on by a woman, though, but I think a locker room would be an inappropriate place to do it.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    As an evangelical Christian I'm not a big proponent of the gay lifestyle, BUT that doesn't mean I hate or even dislike anyone because of their lifestyle choices (& yes, I believe it IS a choice). That being said, I doubt seriously I'd be a "temptation" to anyone. In the past, when I might have been, I had men ask me out or rub my shoulder (yeah, a little creepy) in the locker room, I simply told them I'm not interested and it was a non-event. I'm more worried about guys that bring their 4 & 5 year old daughters into the men's locker room. That I take issue with. Let, the bashing begin!!!

Doubt you'll see much bashing. You sounded very reasonable. I don't have to agree with everything you said to find your point of view well stated.
  • Stubbornfighter
    Options

lol, yes i agree its unfair to assume all elderly people are hateful.

and now that you have moved the goalposts far enough from your original statement, i agree.

Sorry if i was unclear in my original post

The full intent from my original statement was everyone deserves space and respect in the locker room and for everyone not to judge when they weren't involved ^^ Not too hardcore am I? x3
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Gawd no. I can't wait until all of the homophobes finally phase off this earth. People are absolutely ridiculous and I have ZERO problem with gays, lesbians, transgender... I also have ZERO tolerance for ignorance and prejudice.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Gawd no. I can't wait until all of the homophobes finally phase off this earth. People are absolutely ridiculous and I have ZERO problem with gays, lesbians, transgender... I also have ZERO tolerance for ignorance and prejudice.

you forgot bisexuals , genderqueers,pansexuals and asexuals
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

you forgot bisexuals , genderqueers,pansexuals and asexuals

My ... implied anyone I forgot :happy:
  • SkinnyRach22
    Options
    Also women do not have separate changing rooms to protect us from everyone that may be attracted to us. You act like if we all changed together hands would be flying everywhere. It is just because it is more comfortable to be around someone with the same parts as you. We all have boobs therefore it is nothing new to see.

Are you saying that since I've seen boobs before that I'd be welcome in the women's locker room?

I'm sorry... i couldn't resist! :flowerforyou:

Very funny. I guess that didn't come off right. There is a difference between having seen boobs and having them connected to your body and looking in the mirror everyday.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    unless the change room is in Russia...