Can a man and woman be good friends without...?

Options

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    No :angry:
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Just No
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Possibly but unlikely.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    There's a very good chance that if you're a guy friend of mine that I want to (at the very least) make-out. But then again, I have very few guy friends because a lot of guys just rub me the wrong way, so if I keep you around, there's something about you that is attractive to me.

At least you are getting rubbed.

:laugh:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I would think most of us have those type of thoughts cross our mind even with women who are not our close friends. As some have mentioned, do we act on them? I certainly hope not. There too is the question of whether it is a fleeting thought that we bring into the subjection to our sense of morality OR is it a thought that we choose to dwell upon? It is those type thoughts that will eventually lead to action if we don't exercise self control. As the old saying goes, you can't control the bird flying over your head but you don't have to let him roost.
  • stanleypoobrick
    stanleypoobrick Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    if you believe that, then surely you think that people who are interested in people of all genders can't have any friends. I'm not attracted to every single person I meet and have plenty of platonic friends.
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Geez, this is a question I have never, ever understood. I have tons and tons of male friends who I have absolutely no attraction to or sexual interest in and they feel the same towards me. I'm talking about friendships that have lasted over a decade. I readily admit more than a few of these guys are amazing and funny friends but would be awful love interests, lol.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Yeah completely possible. In fact people who think it's not possible and think if you're talking to a woman and getting on, having a laugh etc that it must be leading somewhere or that one of us has other intentions.... well, those people get on my my tits!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible. I'm married and I have several male friends. I have no desire to do anything other than talk or email with them. I'm sure they have no attraction to me either. Some of these friends I've had for over ten years. If they were interested in me that way, at some point, I would have noticed an indication and I haven't.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've had a really close male friend for nearly 30 years. Have we ever thought about it? May be in our youth when we were drunk and horny but now we are in our 40s and married to others it wouldn't cross our minds.

Mind you he does live about 15000 miles away so that doesn't help
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    thoughts don't count - whenever I see a deck chair I think about how painful it would be to get my fingers caught in it, when I see a high ledge I think about falling off it - it doesn't mean I want to do these things.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In other words, men and women are attracted to their relatives of the opposite sex but the incest taboo (even for cousins) is the only thing that holds you all back. one of my best friends was like a second mother to me who was a girlfriend's mother and she was the opposite sex and my friends .
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Yes and no (depends on your subconscious attraction to your friend).
  • notsuchaskinnybitch
    Options
    I have a lot of male friends that I have never even thought of like that. I think if they are my friends then I kind of think of them as a brother. Thats not to say I haven't had these thoughts before, but not from any that I have been really close to. One of my best friends Graeme has sort of been adopted by my family and my mum even calls him son now. I guess it helps that I am really fussy about my men so there is nothing in him I find attractive physically. Thats what my boyfriend is for :)
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I've never really had a good, close friend that was a woman. And in reading a recent post, I was wondering, 'Can a man and a woman be good friends without some sort of sexual thoughts or actions getting in the way?' The answer for me, is probably no. I'm too much of a horn dog. I'm probably missing out on some meaningful relationships, but that's just me. Sometimes II kind of wish I had a close female friend, but such is life. Thoughts.

Well this post and your subsequent posts are two different things. 'Getting in the way' is the relevant part. What I think about in my own head is nobody's business. Just because I think about having sex with someone doesn't mean I want to have sex with them, or have a relationship with them.

I think anyone that genuinely believes that men and women can't be close friends is stupid. And as for ' The answer for me, is probably no. I'm too much of a horn dog' You might want to try growing up some time soon. Unless of course, you're just a very old looking 15 year old.
  • khurrambutt
    khurrambutt Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Without actions? Possibly.

Without thoughts? No.
    I will go with this
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    my best friend from the age of 2 is a male, we have never had any sort of sexual relationship, never thought about each other in that way, we have been friends coming up to 35 years now, and can't see it changing :smile: