Can a man and woman be good friends without...?

Options

Replies

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a few male friends, one that I have coffee or lunch with every few months. I don't want to sleep with him.

I am much closer to my girlfriends though.....and I don't want to sleep with any of them, either!
  • msnagdee
    Options
    Difficult. Difference is when one becomes attracted to someone else, can the friendship still prevail. Imagine having an encounter with someone else and than telling your "friend" about it. Two things can come out of this:. You tend to loose your friendship or the more likely one, you become sexually active with your friends. So you no longer just "Friends"
  • Brazilll
    Brazilll Posts: 503
    Options
    Difficult. Difference is when one becomes attracted to someone else, can the friendship still prevail. Imagine having an encounter with someone else and than telling your "friend" about it. Two things can come out of this:. You tend to loose your friendship or the more likely one, you become sexually active with your friends. So you no longer just "Friends"

My friend and I tell eachother everything. I have even introduced him to some women and saved him from others. I have been out with him and we have bumpes into a girl he was seeing, it was not awkward at all.
  • KrysBlaze
    KrysBlaze Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    As long as you make the choice to not do so you won't. Maybe as a woman it's easier because we know automatically whether we would and stick to that (at least in my circle) & once a frIend zone you that's it. If it gets to the point where he is attracted to me then I let him know my policy. I'm not MCI.
  • I_Atent_Dead
    Options
    The grand majority of my friends are men. I don't think about them sexually because I am not sexually attracted to them. (If I was attracted to them, I'd have dated them!)

Though, I am also still friends with most of my ex-boyfriends.. I don't think about any of them sexually/romantically anymore, but I don't know if they still think about me that way or not. My boyfriend and I hang out with/go on double dates with my male friends, including my ex-boyfriends, and there has been zero drama. So, yeah, it's possible if everyone involved is mature about it and communication is kept open.
  • SavageAbbey
    Options
    So far I have had three bad experiences with this. I really felt a great friendship with these guys and then they ended up making a move on me. It was so awkward. i actually felt betrayed. I couldn't help but wonder if they felt this way the whole time and were just trying to get close to me. Then......about a year ago I befriended a guy who ran in the same circle of friends. Again, we were friends hanging out and sometimes even worked out together. I found myself in the same boat as my previous friends. Strong feelings developed and I made a stupid move one night. I was mortified when he said he was happy with his GF and saw me only as a friend! I believe friendship is possible for some between the sexes but not for me.
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    I think men and women can try their hardest to remain just friends, but deep down if you are attracted to them you are attracted to them and in time it will become more than obvious.......
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I think men and women can try their hardest to remain just friends, but deep down if you are attracted to them you are attracted to them and in time it will become more than obvious.......
    Girl, don't I know it.. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • devilday1805
    devilday1805 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Girl, don't I know it.. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

agreed
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

agreed
    The more you fight it, the more it fights you back! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    Definitely. There's going to be tension if either one is even the least bit sexually attracted to the other. One of my closest male friends is incredibly attractive and has admitted his own attraction to me, but I think the dynamic fuels our good friendship. At one point we were both going to make a move, but stopped ourselves because we knew it would damage our relationship in the long term. Although truthfully, we don't see each other that often so the feelings haven't had time to grow.

In certain cases, it does leave you wanting. But that shouldn't stop people from befriending people of the opposite sex. It's about prioritizing respect over immediate sexual desires.

POV from a girl who has more guy friends than girl friends. Really depends on the level of communication between the two.:flowerforyou:
  • jelie3110
    Options
    I have tried being friends with men, I wish I could say that it worked out.........but unfortunately, someone always ended up getting their feelings hurt.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Based on your profile picture I cannot figure out why?????
  • jelie3110
    Options
    No, I am not a Dominatrix lol, I was dressed up a Catwoman on Halloween.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of male friends and I am thankful for them, they are amazing. In saying that, I think often there is a period at the beginning of your friendship where you look at someone sexually, it does not mean one has to act on it, but the thoughts are normal. The person I am closest to is a male in that I tell him everything, I can say there is nothing sexually with either one of us, we are just pure friends. I think at the beginning there was some attraction, however we talked about it and preferred friendship. I love having friends of the opposite sex because it gives me a different perspective.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've never really had a good, close friend that was a woman. And in reading a recent post, I was wondering, 'Can a man and a woman be good friends without some sort of sexual thoughts or actions getting in the way?' The answer for me, is probably no. I'm too much of a horn dog. I'm probably missing out on some meaningful relationships, but that's just me. Sometimes II kind of wish I had a close female friend, but such is life. Thoughts.

No -

but that depends on how close and how often you see each other ...

I had a great friend for a couple of years , we were like best friends add a few beers and a stressful work day and a blow from my boyfriend and it's a mixture for disaster ........... yea, he's not my friend anymore because we couldn't stay " just friends" :blushing: :sad:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    No, I am not a Dominatrix lol, I was dressed up a Catwoman on Halloween.

Lol????
  • khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    If we're being honest, can men and women really be friends if they do not find some sort of attraction to one another? I say, "no." Therefore, men and women friendships should naturally have some sort of sexual tension going on. Maybe not at all hours of the day, but definitely at some point.
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    rarely! but it can happen!
  • khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    If we're being honest, can men and women really be friends if they do not find some sort of attraction to one another? I say, "no." Therefore, men and women friendships should naturally have some sort of sexual tension going on. Maybe not at all hours of the day, but definitely at some point.

That being said, I do have guy friends. I love my guy friends because I can get a different point of view from them, and I can really talk to them about anything and they don't seem to judge me as harshly and girlfriends or make me feel like an idiot. They seem to value the relationship more than girlfriends do sometimes.