Can a man and woman be good friends without...?

Options

Replies

• coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Easily
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I think so,i have a few guy friend that I'm really close with and I dont have any sexual attraction towards them
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Yes, my best friend is a man and we have never known each other in the biblical sense!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Without having sexual thoughts? No. Without actually sleeping with each other? Sure.

But if there is mutual sexual attraction between a male and female and they spend enough time alone with each other, sex is going to happen at some point. The harder they try to resist it and the more forbidden it seems, the more they will want to give in to their desires. So in that sense, I think there may be some women (or men, as the case may be) with whom you can't be friends. But to say "I have to avoid friendships with everyone of the opposite sex because I can't control my behavior" is just kind of pathetic.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    No. But we can try...

Waits to be unfriended by every woman on my FL.
  • HDHogger
    HDHogger Posts: 764
    Options
    "Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love but no friendship " Oscar Wilde

It's been my experience men and women can't be friends without sexual desires. Maybe it's us men that are the problem but I'm pretty sure women have similar feelings.
  • bigbarnold
    bigbarnold Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    Well... I married my best friend so I would have to say no, BUT after I divorced her we became friends again. Now we will remain friends because I personally don't do repeats even though she wants to "try again". I guess my answer now is Yes? Ok... now I'm confused...
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Indeed. Especially if they are EXes. :)

Contrary to stereotype, not all men have an insatiable need to boff everything that moves-- most things, but not EVERYthing.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I think so.
  • TheyCallMeMISTERChace
    Options
    Maybe if one of them is ugly. ;)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Of course. I have male friends, whose company I enjpoy, and as they are married and so am I, there is no thought whatever of any hanky panky.
  • TheyCallMeMISTERChace
    Options
    Men always think about the hanky panky....
  • That_weird_angel
    Options
    of course men & women can be good friends and not have any sexual desires for the other

I am bisexual so I guess I should just not be able to be good real totally platonic friends with anyone eh? soooo not the case at all
    I totally agree me and my guy friend have a brotherly-sisterly relationship,so yeah
    I'm bi-sexual too and I'm generally platonic friends with anyone:)
  • That_weird_angel
    Options
    if you believe that, then surely you think that people who are interested in people of all genders can't have any friends. I'm not attracted to every single person I meet and have plenty of platonic friends.
    Exactly:)
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Nope, not in my experience.

I used to think men and women could just be friends. I had some very close male friends for years and years before finding out the real reason they were my "friends". Now, I have some male friends but not "close". They are primarily my husband's friends whom I also talk to. I wouldn't invite them over to hang out alone like I would a woman. This is why I don't accept male friend requests on here.

I used to think the same thing. I have always had more guy friends than girl friends and I just thought we were good friends. I have some great friends still that are guys but we are all part of couples and the couples are all friends. College was the real eye opener for me. I was in a relationship with my now husband and we together hung out with a larger group of guys and I considered them all friends and I would hang out with them one on one or just me all the time while waiting for my bf to get out of classes etc. It simply never occurred to me that those guys liked me in any way but friendship especially since I wasn't attracted to any of them that way. But when my bf and I broke up for 2 weeks during the year, it took all of about 5 seconds for 2 of the guys to try to move in on the territory. When my bf and I got back together and stayed together, things went back to normal and I am still friends with those guys but were I single I don't think it would work.

Also, I do think it can happen the other way around also. But as a general rule, men tend to think more sexually than women on a daily basis. It is just the way they are wired.

I think people attracted to both sides are less likely for it to happen on their end simply because they are constantly separating out the idea of who they are attracted to and who they are aren't and seem to keep them separate in the mind. But that doesn't mean that the friends feel the same way as the other person feels.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Maybe if one of them is ugly. ;)

Jesus... are you really that shallow? Looks have nothing to do with it. Some of my male friends are VERY handsome, but I'm not interested in making any move on them nor would I go along with it if they made the move.
  • gemflower
    gemflower Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is no....
  • gemflower
    Options
  • gemflower
    Options
    Men always think about the hanky panky....

so true!