Ohhhhh my.

Options

Replies

• Ranimalove
    Options
    I thought you were looking for support and ways to burn it off. I didn't realize you were looking for sympathy and shelter from the MFP bullies. Since I'm at work, I can't post an appropriate pic or gif, but....

<insert gif of Sheldon Cooper saying "there, there" and then singing soft kitty>

Excuse me? What is your problem? Is there any reason you need to be so rude? I wasn't merely looking for sympathy. I was looking for support and advice. And my response to the others wasn't meant to be rude in any way, I was simply saying that to me it is a lot so I didn't want to just brush it off. Please learn to not be such an *kitten* in the future.

Well damn.

You seem to be kinda angry there OP. May I suggest...more food? Always perks me right up.

I'm just not interested in sarcastic, smart *kitten* that's all :)

Then you should probably stay off the boards. :flowerforyou:

I have realized that and decided I will be doing that from now on.

And life too. :flowerforyou:

"And life too" what? I should stay off of life?

Anything to avoid the sarcastic smart a**es. :smile:
    '

Thanks for the oh-so-helpful suggestion, but I think I am going to stay 'on' life for now.

(See, I can be sarcastic too).

I was mainly referring to smart *kitten* on community boards on websites where I expect support rather than discouragement.

Yet you are the only one insulting and cursing, which by the way is against the TOS. Seems legit. :ohwell:

Because using little asterisks instead of the actual letters is so much better?

I think my straight forward approach is far better than your passive aggressive approach by using little icons handing me flowers as you insult me.

Passive aggressive flowers are not against the Community Guidelines.

And if I use asterisks instead of actual letters in my 'swear' words, that's not against the guidelines either? NEAT.

There actually is a rule against using symbole to bypass the profanity filter. So.

So. Randomtai is no worse than me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I thought you were looking for support and ways to burn it off. I didn't realize you were looking for sympathy and shelter from the MFP bullies. Since I'm at work, I can't post an appropriate pic or gif, but....

<insert gif of Sheldon Cooper saying "there, there" and then singing soft kitty>

Excuse me? What is your problem? Is there any reason you need to be so rude? I wasn't merely looking for sympathy. I was looking for support and advice. And my response to the others wasn't meant to be rude in any way, I was simply saying that to me it is a lot so I didn't want to just brush it off. Please learn to not be such an *kitten* in the future.

Well damn.

You seem to be kinda angry there OP. May I suggest...more food? Always perks me right up.

Well that's gonna make life kinda complex for you, isn't it?

I'm gonna go head and stick with 'Needs more food'. But then I eat 1270 calories for dinner+dessert so what do I know?

I was referring to smart *kitten* on forums where I am expecting to receive support and encouragement, not the opposite.

Clearly, life is full of *kitten*.

Congratulations on your calorie intake.

Thanks. All it takes is not sitting on the couch all day combined with a reasonable deficit and you too can enjoy a life where a 300 calorie drink doesn't screw up your day!

That'll be 9.99

Actually, I do not "sit on the couch all day". I work out every day, and eat a fairly healthy diet. I was just a little concerned over a mistake in my day and thought I might be able to find some support. Obviously I was very wrong.

Other than the small percentage of people with actually helpful advice. And again, thank you to all of you :)

Your goal is 1270 calories. This implies a few things

A. You set your activity level at sedentary

B. You set the amount you'd like to lose too high

C. Both!

Hence the assumption that you sit around all day.
  • Ranimalove
    Options

Well damn.

I'm gonna go head and stick with 'Needs more food'. But then I eat 1270 calories for dinner+dessert so what do I know?

I was referring to smart *kitten* on forums where I am expecting to receive support and encouragement, not the opposite.

Thanks. All it takes is not sitting on the couch all day combined with a reasonable deficit and you too can enjoy a life where a 300 calorie drink doesn't screw up your day!

That'll be 9.99

Actually, I do not "sit on the couch all day". I work out every day, and eat a fairly healthy diet. I was just a little concerned over a mistake in my day and thought I might be able to find some support. Obviously I was very wrong.

Other than the small percentage of people with actually helpful advice. And again, thank you to all of you :)

C. Both!

Well, I don't. And maybe those are the settings but I do not recall what I put when I originally signed up. I will go over and redo it. Thanks.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Well damn.

'

Thanks for the oh-so-helpful suggestion, but I think I am going to stay 'on' life for now.

I was mainly referring to smart *kitten* on community boards on websites where I expect support rather than discouragement.

You might want to review the Community Guidelines sonce you're in violation of them by attacking other users ( calling us *kitten* and smart *kitten*)

I don't believe I referred to anyone specifically as an *kitten* or a smart *kitten*.

You inferred that the majority of the people responding are...which is still insulting.

Well, I find pretty much everything you have said insulting too.

Everything? Really? So advising you to not demonize foods, that you aren't consuming "empty calories", etc is insulting.

Please...do go on.
  • Achrya
    Options

Well damn.

'

Yet you are the only one insulting and cursing, which by the way is against the TOS. Seems legit. :ohwell:

Because using little asterisks instead of the actual letters is so much better?

I think my straight forward approach is far better than your passive aggressive approach by using little icons handing me flowers as you insult me.

Passive aggressive flowers are not against the Community Guidelines.

And if I use asterisks instead of actual letters in my 'swear' words, that's not against the guidelines either? NEAT.

There actually is a rule against using symbole to bypass the profanity filter. So.

So. Randomtai is no worse than me.

No, *kitten* doesn't ping the profanity filter and thus doesn't break that rule. You're still the only one tossing out insults and thus breaking the rules.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Stepped away from my computer. Looks like this thread got everyone all stirred up.

In any case, I think you would really benefit from visiting this thread.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?

I know you've already said you're reevaluating some things based on what other folks have said, but the above thread is a nice compilation of how to "get started" in a great way.
  • Achrya
    Options

Well damn.

That'll be 9.99

C. Both!

Well, I don't. And maybe those are the settings but I do not recall what I put when I originally signed up. I will go over and redo it. Thanks.

I'm just letting you know where the assumption comes from. I don't know you to know you're an active person, I just know your goal is a mere 70 calories above the absolute minimum this site will give, so at the very least you told the calculator you sit around all day.

Sorry if going off of the information you provided upset you.
  • Ranimalove
    Options

Well damn.

'

You might want to review the Community Guidelines sonce you're in violation of them by attacking other users ( calling us *kitten* and smart *kitten*)

I don't believe I referred to anyone specifically as an *kitten* or a smart *kitten*.

You inferred that the majority of the people responding are...which is still insulting.

Everything? Really? So advising you to not demonize foods, that you aren't consuming "empty calories", etc is insulting.

Please...do go on.

That was definitely helpful advice, and I thanked you for it. However, all of your posts contain some sort of sarcasm or insult.

"So no sense of humor. Got it. You might need to retrain your brain on your attitude towards food. It's a legit suggestion because demonizing foods is what is leading you to freak out instead of realizing that one day doesn't make you fat. "

Just because I'm not really all that fond of people's sarcasm and discouraging comments means I have no sense of humor? I find THAT insulting because that is labelling me as some grumpy person when really I'm quite the opposite, generally.
  • Ranimalove
    Options
    Stepped away from my computer. Looks like this thread got everyone all stirred up.

In any case, I think you would really benefit from visiting this thread.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?

I know you've already said you're reevaluating some things based on what other folks have said, but the above thread is a nice compilation of how to "get started" in a great way.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I will check it out ASAP.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    This stuff is what makes me stay off of forums. It would be so nice if people wanted to be helpful and commented, and people who didn't just didn't. The old mama always said if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.

But it's the internet. People know they are millions of miles away from you and you'll never find them and they feel anonymous. it's the whole mob mentality. It's like you can't literally see them doing or saying these things, so they're safe. Unfortunately, you just have to get used to it.

In fact, there are quite a few people who intentionally go around just trying to start stuff on these forums. So try not to get worked up and just ignore the haters. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for the tough love, like when people said hit the gym, eat less at dinner, and get over it. But no one needs to be putting other people down. This is supposed to be a site for support and advice (which, honestly, most users give, even if they aren't nice about it). But guess what, it's also a site for smart alecs, people who want to show off their mostly-naked bodies, dating, extramarital flirting, playing ridiculously assinine games about movies and would you date the person above you, etc. You know, in a perfect world, it'd be a web site for getting support if you want to lose weight or get in shape.

But it ain't.
  • Ranimalove
    Options

Well damn.

That'll be 9.99

C. Both!

I'm just letting you know where the assumption comes from. I don't know you to know you're an active person, I just know your goal is a mere 70 calories above the absolute minimum this site will give, so at the very least you told the calculator you sit around all day.

Frankly, I did not even know other people could see all of that information. It did not upset me, I just don't appreciate being judged for what I believed to be no reason whatsoever. I don't recall telling the calculator I sit around all day. I also don't think that's a very positive way to phrase it. For example, some jobs actually do require you to do that (i.e. secretary, etc.). I think that if someone actually has to do that for their job, they would appreciate it being worded in a more positive way, because they probably don't even want to 'sit around all day'. That's my opinion though.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    And the going back and forth clearly isn't helping anyone. You just keep getting worked up, OP, and people arguing with you are still getting off because they are getting reactions out of you.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Well damn.

'

Please...do go on.

That was definitely helpful advice, and I thanked you for it. However, all of your posts contain some sort of sarcasm or insult.

"So no sense of humor. Got it. You might need to retrain your brain on your attitude towards food. It's a legit suggestion because demonizing foods is what is leading you to freak out instead of realizing that one day doesn't make you fat. "

Just because I'm not really all that fond of people's sarcasm and discouraging comments means I have no sense of humor? I find THAT insulting because that is labelling me as some grumpy person when really I'm quite the opposite, generally.

No, because you came off as someone that just wants "serious" answers and no humor involved. Instead of concentrating so much on perceived tone and imagining how someone is "coming at you" why not just read/take the advice and leave it at that.

But hey, no one needs to label you as anything. A lot can be learned by posts.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add, OP, you have 9 lbs to lose.

You have your calories set way too low at 1270.

Don't try shooting for "two pounds loss per week" - set it for "1/2 pound loss per week" and set your Activity Level more realistically.

Just because there are fast-track options, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

You'll get more calories and be less grumpy.
    Quoting cmriverside's post because it seems to have gotten lost amid the fighting. It was very good advice. Make sure your activity level is set correctly and go a for a moderate rate of weight loss.
  • Ranimalove
    Options
    This stuff is what makes me stay off of forums. It would be so nice if people wanted to be helpful and commented, and people who didn't just didn't. The old mama always said if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.

But it's the internet. People know they are millions of miles away from you and you'll never find them and they feel anonymous. it's the whole mob mentality. It's like you can't literally see them doing or saying these things, so they're safe. Unfortunately, you just have to get used to it.

In fact, there are quite a few people who intentionally go around just trying to start stuff on these forums. So try not to get worked up and just ignore the haters. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for the tough love, like when people said hit the gym, eat less at dinner, and get over it. But no one needs to be putting other people down. This is supposed to be a site for support and advice (which, honestly, most users give, even if they aren't nice about it). But guess what, it's also a site for smart alecs, people who want to show off their mostly-naked bodies, dating, extramarital flirting, playing ridiculously assinine games about movies and would you date the person above you, etc. You know, in a perfect world, it'd be a web site for getting support if you want to lose weight or get in shape.

But it ain't.

Love this post. Thank you.
  • Ranimalove
    Options
    I wanted to add, OP, you have 9 lbs to lose.

You have your calories set way too low at 1270.

Don't try shooting for "two pounds loss per week" - set it for "1/2 pound loss per week" and set your Activity Level more realistically.

Just because there are fast-track options, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

You'll get more calories and be less grumpy.
    Quoting cmriverside's post because it seems to have gotten lost amid the fighting. It was very good advice. Make sure your activity level is set correctly and go a for a moderate rate of weight loss.

Oops, sorry I missed this. And thank you for pulling it back up.

I will have to figure out this calculator stuff.
  • Ranimalove
    Options

Well damn.

'

Please...do go on.

No, because you came off as someone that just wants "serious" answers and no humor involved. Instead of concentrating so much on perceived tone and imagining how someone is "coming at you" why not just read/take the advice and leave it at that.

But hey, no one needs to label you as anything. A lot can be learned by posts.

I am all for humor, so long as it does not discourage the person originally looking for support and advice. But that was not the case.

I am certainly taking the advice I am given, and thanking those who deserve it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Well damn.

That'll be 9.99

C. Both!

Frankly, I did not even know other people could see all of that information. It did not upset me, I just don't appreciate being judged for what I believed to be no reason whatsoever. I don't recall telling the calculator I sit around all day. I also don't think that's a very positive way to phrase it. For example, some jobs actually do require you to do that (i.e. secretary, etc.). I think that if someone actually has to do that for their job, they would appreciate it being worded in a more positive way, because they probably don't even want to 'sit around all day'. That's my opinion though.

Even if you have a sedentary job, doesn't necessarily make you sedentary. If you are still walking about and doing some minimal exercise, you'd be considered lightly active.
  • Ranimalove
    Options
    And the going back and forth clearly isn't helping anyone. You just keep getting worked up, OP, and people arguing with you are still getting off because they are getting reactions out of you.

I wish I did not seem like I was getting worked up. I am just trying to defend myself, I guess. It is not fun being attacked by a bunch of people at once, for no good reason whatsoever.

Thanks.
  • Ranimalove
    Options

Well damn.

That'll be 9.99

C. Both!

Even if you have a sedentary job, doesn't necessarily make you sedentary. If you are still walking about and doing some minimal exercise, you'd be considered lightly active.

If I recall correctly, the question they ask you is what amount of activity you get and give examples of professions for each one. So I think maybe that is where the confusion arose. It was a while ago, but I believe when asked what my "activity level" was in terms of the job I have, I put the second lowest as I thought there would be more room to add activity level in terms of workouts done, etc.