Ohhhhh my.

Options

Replies

• Ranimalove
    Options
    300 calories really? That is like one serving of oatmeal...log it and move on ...

Yeah but oatmeal is full of fibre, low fat, and protein. This beverage was mostly just high in sugar and bad fat.

I don't understand all these people who think all food is equivalent because their calorie amount is equivalent.

Bad fat? What? What fat? It was just soy milk and sugar right?

Here you go.

t71Ms18.png
  • Ranimalove
    Options
    This stuff is what makes me stay off of forums. It would be so nice if people wanted to be helpful and commented, and people who didn't just didn't. The old mama always said if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.

But it's the internet. People know they are millions of miles away from you and you'll never find them and they feel anonymous. it's the whole mob mentality. It's like you can't literally see them doing or saying these things, so they're safe. Unfortunately, you just have to get used to it.

In fact, there are quite a few people who intentionally go around just trying to start stuff on these forums. So try not to get worked up and just ignore the haters. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for the tough love, like when people said hit the gym, eat less at dinner, and get over it. But no one needs to be putting other people down. This is supposed to be a site for support and advice (which, honestly, most users give, even if they aren't nice about it). But guess what, it's also a site for smart alecs, people who want to show off their mostly-naked bodies, dating, extramarital flirting, playing ridiculously assinine games about movies and would you date the person above you, etc. You know, in a perfect world, it'd be a web site for getting support if you want to lose weight or get in shape.

But it ain't.

Note: I don't remember promising to support or advise anyone when I signed up for MFP.

What's the point, then? Do you just want to show off your body, and seek attention, and put others down when they're simply looking for support?

As you said. You can tell a lot about people through their posts.
    OP, YOU are the one who started attacking.

You reap what you sow.

I like to look at Achrya's body, so there is that. She has been nothing but polite.

Although I also like Manatees and snorkeling having grown up in Florida.

I completely disagree with you that I was the one who started attacking and that Achrya has been nothing but polite.

Glad you enjoy the manatees.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly, the question they ask you is what amount of activity you get and give examples of professions for each one. So I think maybe that is where the confusion arose. It was a while ago, but I believe when asked what my "activity level" was in terms of the job I have, I put the second lowest as I thought there would be more room to add activity level in terms of workouts done, etc.
    [/quote]

You are correct that they give you some basic guidelines which are based on your job. I have a desk job so I too chose sedentary for my original MFP goal. MFP set me at 1200 calories to lose 1 lb/week. After spending more time on the site, reading the forum posts (and believe it or not - the sarcastic ones where people were much more blunt with their advice were the ones that sunk in a lot more so there is some method to the madness), I started upping my calorie goals. After I got a FitBit and realized that just my normal day to day activities (including the desk job but also running around after small children) with no exercise yields me about 10,000 steps/day, I upped my setting to lightly active and recently to active. I'm set at about 1700 calories now, still losing, much happier.

You might do well to figure out your TDEE (there are numerous calculators posted in various "mean people" threads here on MFP or online) and adjust your settings.

I do understand your initial post and the shock you felt finding out something was more calories than you would have guessed. That's one of the most valuable things about MFP, is the education you get and then being able to make different choices next time. Or continue to order the tea and just work it into your day with extra exercise as many have suggested. Or if you re-do your calorie goals and activity levels, you may find you don't even need to do that and instead you can have a second cup later today.

Also be careful mentioning not understanding why people think all calories are equivalent. You are about to start another huge storm of IIFYM people raining down on you. Personally I agree with them that a calorie is a calorie. But you didn't like the responses you got here and I thought those were pretty rational so I shudder to think what you will feel when you start labeling food as "junk" or "crap".
  • Ranimalove
    Options
    This stuff is what makes me stay off of forums. It would be so nice if people wanted to be helpful and commented, and people who didn't just didn't. The old mama always said if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.

But it's the internet. People know they are millions of miles away from you and you'll never find them and they feel anonymous. it's the whole mob mentality. It's like you can't literally see them doing or saying these things, so they're safe. Unfortunately, you just have to get used to it.

In fact, there are quite a few people who intentionally go around just trying to start stuff on these forums. So try not to get worked up and just ignore the haters. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for the tough love, like when people said hit the gym, eat less at dinner, and get over it. But no one needs to be putting other people down. This is supposed to be a site for support and advice (which, honestly, most users give, even if they aren't nice about it). But guess what, it's also a site for smart alecs, people who want to show off their mostly-naked bodies, dating, extramarital flirting, playing ridiculously assinine games about movies and would you date the person above you, etc. You know, in a perfect world, it'd be a web site for getting support if you want to lose weight or get in shape.

But it ain't.

Note: I don't remember promising to support or advise anyone when I signed up for MFP.

What's the point, then? Do you just want to show off your body, and seek attention, and put others down when they're simply looking for support?

No. "I" said that, not Achyra in regards to telling about people through their posts. And Achyra has actually lent a lot of advice and her own experiences in the majority of her posts here, so not sure what you are saying...

Exaxtly, Achyra is really good with advice and recipes.
    Check out her success thread about cookies.

Sorry for confusing you two.

And I disagree with you.

I am also not interested in "checking out her success" as I do not find her to be the most encouraging/inspirational/motivational person, but thank you.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    300 calories really? That is like one serving of oatmeal...log it and move on ...

Yeah but oatmeal is full of fibre, low fat, and protein. This beverage was mostly just high in sugar and bad fat.

I don't understand all these people who think all food is equivalent because their calorie amount is equivalent.

Here you go.

t71Ms18.png

I don't see any bad fat
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Here you go.

t71Ms18.png

There's nothing empty about that. 35% Iron! for 300 cals! Damn! If I had access to that, I'd work it into my calories!
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

But it ain't.

No. "I" said that, not Achyra in regards to telling about people through their posts. And Achyra has actually lent a lot of advice and her own experiences in the majority of her posts here, so not sure what you are saying...

And I disagree with you.

I am also not interested in "checking out her success" as I do not find her to be the most encouraging/inspirational/motivational person, but thank you.

Youve now confused myself, Achyra, and Pika.
    We are 3 separate women with completely different avatars
  • Ranimalove
    Options
    If I recall correctly, the question they ask you is what amount of activity you get and give examples of professions for each one. So I think maybe that is where the confusion arose. It was a while ago, but I believe when asked what my "activity level" was in terms of the job I have, I put the second lowest as I thought there would be more room to add activity level in terms of workouts done, etc.

You are correct that they give you some basic guidelines which are based on your job. I have a desk job so I too chose sedentary for my original MFP goal. MFP set me at 1200 calories to lose 1 lb/week. After spending more time on the site, reading the forum posts (and believe it or not - the sarcastic ones where people were much more blunt with their advice were the ones that sunk in a lot more so there is some method to the madness), I started upping my calorie goals. After I got a FitBit and realized that just my normal day to day activities (including the desk job but also running around after small children) with no exercise yields me about 10,000 steps/day, I upped my setting to lightly active and recently to active. I'm set at about 1700 calories now, still losing, much happier.

You might do well to figure out your TDEE (there are numerous calculators posted in various "mean people" threads here on MFP or online) and adjust your settings.

I do understand your initial post and the shock you felt finding out something was more calories than you would have guessed. That's one of the most valuable things about MFP, is the education you get and then being able to make different choices next time. Or continue to order the tea and just work it into your day with extra exercise as many have suggested. Or if you re-do your calorie goals and activity levels, you may find you don't even need to do that and instead you can have a second cup later today.

Also be careful mentioning not understanding why people think all calories are equivalent. You are about to start another huge storm of IIFYM people raining down on you. Personally I agree with them that a calorie is a calorie. But you didn't like the responses you got here and I thought those were pretty rational so I shudder to think what you will feel when you start labeling food as "junk" or "crap".
    [/quote]

Thanks for the advice.

I appreciate all the advice, just not the unsupportive, cocky tones that seem to come with it from a lot of people.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

But it ain't.

What? Shut up. I'm mean and and hardcore and omg, hold on, I have a pikachu picture I found and wanted to send you!

:laugh:

pikachu___knight_by_mnrart-d72lq9c.gif
  • PikaKnight
    Options

But it ain't.

What? Shut up. I'm mean and and hardcore and omg, hold on, I have a pikachu picture I found and wanted to send you!

:laugh:

pikachu___knight_by_mnrart-d72lq9c.gif

O.O

Stealing! :tongue:
  • Ranimalove
    Options

But it ain't.

And I disagree with you.

Youve now confused myself, Achyra, and Pika.
    We are 3 separate women with completely different avatars

I did not confuse you with Achyra and Pika. I just wanted to respond to all three at once. I APOLOGIZE my goodness.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Here you go.

t71Ms18.png

There's nothing empty about that. 35% Iron! for 300 cals! Damn! If I had access to that, I'd work it into my calories!

Seriously. I bust my but trying to hit my iron without taking supplements (The anemic struggle is real.) Do you have any idea how much cream of wheat I eat? I don't even like cream of wheat (without bacon mixed in...)

Vit A and Calcium don't look bad either. And the Carb/Protein split is ratio is basically 2:1, which is also...not bad.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    *kitten*, *kitten*, *kitten*....just checking. Didn't know it was allowed....goody. :bigsmile:
  • Ranimalove
    Options

Here you go.

t71Ms18.png

Seriously. I bust my but trying to hit my iron without taking supplements (The anemic struggle is real.) Do you have any idea how much cream of wheat I eat? I don't even like cream of wheat (without bacon mixed in...)

Vit A and Calcium don't look bad either.

I don't even know where all that iron is coming from. Or the protein, for that matter. I am surprised. The point is, though, that I really wasn't intending on consuming that many calories as a snack. I have plans for an unhealthy dinner tomorrow so I was saving up. Now I realize it's done, can't do anything about it. Certainly can argue about it with a lot of strangers on the internet though.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I came looking for the origin of OP's mean people thread. I was not disappointed.

Carry on...
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

Here you go.

t71Ms18.png

I just take the supplement hahaha

Spinach, Chelle, spinach
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Here you go.

t71Ms18.png

I increased my steak intake and have been able to hit my Iron everyday this week without taking a supplement
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I came looking for the origin of OP's mean people thread. I was not disappointed.

Carry on...

lol What? Link?
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

Carry on...

Link
  • Ranimalove
    Options

Carry on...

There seem to be a lot of people on here that get pure joy out of other people's suffering.