Are pepperoni balls unhealthy?!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents are that it is not healthy. At least in the sense that if you are trying to lose weight, it's not going to help you. Will eating it once hurt your weight loss? No. But eating it time and time again will set you back.

your two cents is rejected and returned….
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Pepperoni-not the healthiest food around. Why would you turn to a "pepperoni ball" when you feel you are having an unhealthy day? Kind of odd. In my opinion, you could have chosen a much more nutritious food for the same 100 calories.

baby carrots with hummus

Egg whites and toast

Hard Boiled Eggs

Protein Shake

Frozen Grapes

The ideas are really endless and are most much better than this ball of diarrhea. :)

why eat that boring crap when you can have an amazing pepperoni ball for the same calories and fill in your fat/carbs/protein for day..????

hard boiled eggs will do wonder for your breath and will have you passing gass like an old geezer..just saying...

Also egg whites are sadness.
    Egg whites on toast sound sooooooooo bland and tastless
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents are that it is not healthy. At least in the sense that if you are trying to lose weight, it's not going to help you. Will eating it once hurt your weight loss? No. But eating it time and time again will set you back.

Well that's just plain wrong.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Just cus it's low in calories don't mean it's healthy, but doesn't mean it's unhealthy either. However, I think you know the answer to this. Pepperoni is fatty unless it's turkey pepperoni, white bread is not good for you, it's a bad carb, however it's ok to have something like this once in awhile, so don't beat yourself up.

there is nothing wrong with fat, and fats should compose about 30 percent of your diet…

and white bread is bad…please? As opposed to other bread that is "good"….

I never said you shouldn't eat fat, but there is good fats and bad fats.

White bread are made from refined white flour containing several unwholesome constituents and very little in the way of nutrients and dietary fiber, essential for a healthy digestive system and a stable metabolism. This is why:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Just cus it's low in calories don't mean it's healthy, but doesn't mean it's unhealthy either. However, I think you know the answer to this. Pepperoni is fatty unless it's turkey pepperoni, white bread is not good for you, it's a bad carb, however it's ok to have something like this once in awhile, so don't beat yourself up.

there is nothing wrong with fat, and fats should compose about 30 percent of your diet…

White bread and white rice are made from refined white flour containing several unwholesome constituents and very little in the way of nutrients and dietary fiber, essential for a healthy digestive system and a stable metabolism. This is why:

eh…fat is fat ….eat in a deficit, consume fats, you will be fine…

there is nothing wrong with white rice, or white bread….I would be interested to read the peer reviewed studies that you have access to backing up these claims...
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who didn't think of a bowl for food when the OP mentioned it being the size of a bowl? :laugh:

i think thats how you end up eating the pepperoni balls. or where you end up after the pepperoni balls. (ive got 2 different bowls going in my head now)

edit:

and for me, forget the ball, grilled pepperoni on its own FTW
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

White bread are made from refined white flour containing several unwholesome constituents and very little in the way of nutrients and dietary fiber, essential for a healthy digestive system and a stable metabolism. This is why:

Just stop.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who didn't think of a bowl for food when the OP mentioned it being the size of a bowl? :laugh:

i think thats how you end up eating the pepperoni balls. or where you end up after the pepperoni balls. (ive got 2 different bowls going in my head now)

edit:

and for me, forget the ball, grilled pepperoni on its own FTW

I was thinking the former, not the latter. :laugh: Although, for if it was 95 calories and the size of the latter... I would be impressed.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

Still waiting to hear what makes a fat good or bad.

What 'unwholesome' ingredients does white flour contain? Why are they 'unwholesome' (apart from by not being a definition of 'whole') and why does this matter?

Did you read the link I posted? A stable metabolism can also be achieved by not being overweight and lazy.
  • heatherlynnc123
    Options
    So, I make these to take to parties. They are called Pepperoni Rolls around here, not Balls. Last time I did, I calculated the calories and my homemade ones were calculated out to be 110 calories each. They are baked, not fried. There is no cheese.

Very easy
    Frozen bread dough, defrost, let it rise. Separate it into 16 pieces. Flatten the piece into a circle. Put 3 slices of pepperoni on the circle, roll up. Brush on egg wash (1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp sugar) Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Take to party. Have people ooohh and aaahh over them
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Yeah, no. Just stop.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    So, I make these to take to parties. They are called Pepperoni Rolls around here, not Balls. Last time I did, I calculated the calories and my homemade ones were calculated out to be 110 calories each. They are baked, not fried. There is no cheese.

Very easy
    Frozen bread dough, defrost, let it rise. Separate it into 16 pieces. Flatten the piece into a circle. Put 3 slices of pepperoni on the circle, roll up. Brush on egg wash (1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp sugar) Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Take to party. Have people ooohh and aaahh over them

thnks for this recipe i think i shall try. yum.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    :laugh: No. White bread is fine and so is fat.
    If you're not very fit and/or are obese, then there can be advantages to having your carbs in a more complex form.
    Doesn't seem that's the case if you are healthy and not obese. Ok, there are still various ways, but any studies I've seen, the significance for an already healthy person is minimal - that person would probably be as well to do a little more exercise and not worry about it, than eat food they don't like so much and reduce their quality of life from that (thus uppign other risk factors :) ).

Are you suggesting that the properties of white bread change depending on the size of one's waistline? Interesting theory, but I'm skeptical.
  • denisemarie80
    denisemarie80 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I make these often for get togethers as well. The recipe I learned from a friend is to buy frozen yeast rolls let them thaw and rise. Put 3-4 pepperoni slices on top of them and roll the pepperoni inside. Let the rolls rise again and back following the directions on the package of rolls. They always turn our great and are arounf 110-1120 calories depending ont he rolls/pepperoni you use.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Are you suggesting that the properties of white bread change depending on the size of one's waistline? Interesting theory, but I'm skeptical.
    It would seem that is the case.
    I've posted this once here I believe:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
    A meta-analysis and systematic review also supported these findings and concluded that the effects on health markers were dependent on their initial values. Low glycemic load diets are good for your health if you’re initially unhealthy (like obese or diabetic), but in healthy populations there was no effect. This is an example of a ceiling effect. You can’t fix what isn’t broken, so if you’re already healthy, eating ‘healthy’ foods at some point stops making you even healthier.

If you’re lean, watch your diet and are physically active, it’s safe to say you belong in the healthy category and the glycemic load of your diet has no considerable effect on your health.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    It would seem that is the case.
    I've posted this once here I believe:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
    A meta-analysis and systematic review also supported these findings and concluded that the effects on health markers were dependent on their initial values. Low glycemic load diets are good for your health if you’re initially unhealthy (like obese or diabetic), but in healthy populations there was no effect. This is an example of a ceiling effect. You can’t fix what isn’t broken, so if you’re already healthy, eating ‘healthy’ foods at some point stops making you even healthier.

If you’re lean, watch your diet and are physically active, it’s safe to say you belong in the healthy category and the glycemic load of your diet has no considerable effect on your health.

But the amazing thing is that if you're fat and exercise and eat at a calorie deficit to become healthy, then it doesn't matter anymore does it ;)
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It always seems the two camps can't get along…

camp 1: IIFYM!!!!!! (you get exclamation points because you are very emphatic about the point)

camp 2: some things are more beneficial for your body than other things.

I don't think many people will be dragged across the line if they feel strongly for either of those statements.

OP, my two cents are that some food makes me feel good. Replenished. Other foods give me indigestion, heartburn, a headache, a feeling of lethargy, a feeling of mania….most of the time these sensations occur when I eat LARGER portions of refined sugars, bleached flours, processed foods with lots of additives, and deep fried foods. But that is only applicable to my 30 years of personal eating, lots of trial and error :)

Its good to ask questions, but it's even better to note how food makes you feel and do the research on what your food contains.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Side note to the people who think the gov't would ban things that are 'bad' for you….. LOL.

One word: SUBSIDIES

http://www.livescience.com/38740-boosting-access-to-healthy-foods.html

Your body is just business to them.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I don't think many people will be dragged across the line if they feel strongly for either of those statements.

They actually are.

IIFYM is really a grassroots thing. It wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is (considering the constant media barrage of good carbs/bad carbs, good fat/bad fat, this food is healthy and this food is unhealthy) if it didn't have an extremely compelling message and a history of producing real long-term results.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    It always seems the two camps can't get along…

camp 1: IIFYM!!!!!! (you get exclamation points because you are very emphatic about the point)

camp 2: some things are more beneficial for your body than other things.

OP, my two cents are that some food makes me feel good. Replenished. Other foods give me indigestion, heartburn, a headache, a feeling of lethargy, a feeling of mania….most of the time these sensations occur when I eat LARGER portions of refined sugars, bleached flours, processed foods with lots of additives, and deep fried foods. But that is only applicable to my 30 years of personal eating, lots of trial and error :)

Its good to ask questions, but it's even better to note how food makes you feel and do the research on what your food contains.

I bet lots of people who believe 1 also believe 2.