Are pepperoni balls unhealthy?!

Options

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Side note to the people who think the gov't would ban things that are 'bad' for you….. LOL.

One word: SUBSIDIES

http://www.livescience.com/38740-boosting-access-to-healthy-foods.html

Your body is just business to them.

Actually, I would say the word is politics... senators and representatives in farm states can't get elected without continuing the practice of subsidies, so they stick with the status quo. The subsidies don't bring in extra government money (though they definitely can bring in campaign contributions to the people who vote for them).
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't think many people will be dragged across the line if they feel strongly for either of those statements.

They actually are.

IIFYM is really a grassroots thing. It wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is (considering the constant media barrage of good carbs/bad carbs, good fat/bad fat, this food is healthy and this food is unhealthy) if it didn't have an extremely compelling message and a history of producing real long-term results.

OK then.

How do you feel about the statistics of how many people die of heart disease annually?
  • kickivale
    Options
    It always seems the two camps can't get along…

camp 1: IIFYM!!!!!! (you get exclamation points because you are very emphatic about the point)

camp 2: some things are more beneficial for your body than other things.

I don't think many people will be dragged across the line if they feel strongly for either of those statements.

OP, my two cents are that some food makes me feel good. Replenished. Other foods give me indigestion, heartburn, a headache, a feeling of lethargy, a feeling of mania….most of the time these sensations occur when I eat LARGER portions of refined sugars, bleached flours, processed foods with lots of additives, and deep fried foods. But that is only applicable to my 30 years of personal eating, lots of trial and error :)

Its good to ask questions, but it's even better to note how food makes you feel and do the research on what your food contains.

I bet lots of people who believe 1 also believe 2.

Take a look in my food diary, I def believe both :)
    I hope the idea spreads that we can believe many many things at once without being a walking contradiction
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

They actually are.

IIFYM is really a grassroots thing. It wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is (considering the constant media barrage of good carbs/bad carbs, good fat/bad fat, this food is healthy and this food is unhealthy) if it didn't have an extremely compelling message and a history of producing real long-term results.

OK then.

How do you feel about the statistics of how many people die of heart disease annually?

I reject your implication that, within the confines of an active lifestyle and a calorie-controlled diet with appropriate nutrient intake, certain foods will make you "healthier" than others.

I really don't think you understand IIFYM actually.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    It always seems the two camps can't get along…

camp 1: IIFYM!!!!!! (you get exclamation points because you are very emphatic about the point)

camp 2: some things are more beneficial for your body than other things.

OP, my two cents are that some food makes me feel good. Replenished. Other foods give me indigestion, heartburn, a headache, a feeling of lethargy, a feeling of mania….most of the time these sensations occur when I eat LARGER portions of refined sugars, bleached flours, processed foods with lots of additives, and deep fried foods. But that is only applicable to my 30 years of personal eating, lots of trial and error :)

Its good to ask questions, but it's even better to note how food makes you feel and do the research on what your food contains.

I bet lots of people who believe 1 also believe 2.

Take a look in my food diary, I def believe both :)
    I hope the idea spreads that we can believe many many things at once without being a walking contradiction

People who are into IIFYM are usually very aware of nutrition and that different food offers different things. I find its people who don't follow IIFYM who are often confused about what it means.
  • kickivale
    Options

They actually are.

OK then.

I reject your implication that, within the confines of an active lifestyle and a calorie-controlled diet with appropriate nutrient intake, certain foods will make you "healthier" than others.

I didn't make a statement, I asked you a question. I don't see implication in that.
    I understand IIFYM.
    I also understand why some people don't feel that it's that simple.
    Because every single one of us responds differently to food.
    I think I have a lifetime to learn, and I don't feel the need to harshly judge anyone or direct them away or towards and black or white conclusion about lifestyle choices.
    I just think its good for us to absorbs new data, use our analysis and intuition in tandem, and try to navigate the best we can.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Pepperoni rolls are always a good decision and I'm happy to see someone outside West Virginia eating them. Spread the love!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Just cus it's low in calories don't mean it's healthy, but doesn't mean it's unhealthy either. However, I think you know the answer to this. Pepperoni is fatty unless it's turkey pepperoni, white bread is not good for you, it's a bad carb, however it's ok to have something like this once in awhile, so don't beat yourself up.

there is nothing wrong with fat, and fats should compose about 30 percent of your diet…

and white bread is bad…please? As opposed to other bread that is "good"….

I never said you shouldn't eat fat, but there is good fats and bad fats.

White bread and white rice are made from refined white flour containing several unwholesome constituents and very little in the way of nutrients and dietary fiber, essential for a healthy digestive system and a stable metabolism. This is why:

eh…fat is fat ….eat in a deficit, consume fats, you will be fine…

there is nothing wrong with white rice, or white bread….I would be interested to read the peer reviewed studies that you have access to backing up these claims...

Actually, not all fats are the same. There are good and bad fats,

As far as white rice and white bread, they have pretty much zero nutritional value and are at the top end of the glycemic index. So if BG and insulin fluctuations are pleasant for you, then by all means…
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    But the amazing thing is that if you're fat and exercise and eat at a calorie deficit to become healthy, then it doesn't matter anymore does it ;)
    Indeed :) - and has MORE benefits past that too :).

As far as white rice and white bread, they have pretty much zero nutritional value and are at the top end of the glycemic index. So if BG and insulin fluctuations are pleasant for you, then by all means…
    Actually, you'll probably get MORE micronutrients from white rice than brown. As far as macronutrition value, that's not true, of course.
    I can eat a LOAD of sugar and be the same as if I eat a 'balanced meal' with complex carbs.

So; which fats are good and which are bad?
    Why is that the case?
  • Achrya
    Options
    Just cus it's low in calories don't mean it's healthy, but doesn't mean it's unhealthy either. However, I think you know the answer to this. Pepperoni is fatty unless it's turkey pepperoni, white bread is not good for you, it's a bad carb, however it's ok to have something like this once in awhile, so don't beat yourself up.

there is nothing wrong with fat, and fats should compose about 30 percent of your diet…

and white bread is bad…please? As opposed to other bread that is "good"….

I never said you shouldn't eat fat, but there is good fats and bad fats.

White bread and white rice are made from refined white flour containing several unwholesome constituents and very little in the way of nutrients and dietary fiber, essential for a healthy digestive system and a stable metabolism. This is why:

eh…fat is fat ….eat in a deficit, consume fats, you will be fine…

there is nothing wrong with white rice, or white bread….I would be interested to read the peer reviewed studies that you have access to backing up these claims...

I could have sworn white rice had equal/greater nutrition to brown (because most of the so called nutrition of brown rice is in the fiber of th rice, and this isn't digested.) Sooo, since white rice actually tastes good, I'm going to keep on doing that white rice 3-4 days a week thing.
  • kickivale
    Options

They actually are.

OK then.

Sidenote, I get my info mostly NIH, the most trusted source for medical research. IIFYM does not take into account carcinogens in foods (especially processed meats), trans fats (which NIH has shown can cause infertility, heart disease, and diabetes), or the importance of micronutrients in full body function.

I am no saint, and I don't know it all, not even close, but I think the convo is really big and it's silly of us to make it so small.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Sidenote, I get my info mostly NIH, the most trusted source for medical research. IIFYM does not take into account carcinogens in foods (especially processed meats), trans fats (which NIH has shown can cause infertility, heart disease, and diabetes), or the importance of micronutrients in full body function.

I am no saint, and I don't know it all, not even close, but I think the condo is really big and it's silly of us to make it so small.

Just to note, NIH doesn't do an awful lot of primary research. They do, however, maintain PubMed, which is a search engine/repository for primary research that appears in peer-reviewed journals.

And you definitely don't understand IIFYM given what you said here.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    But the amazing thing is that if you're fat and exercise and eat at a calorie deficit to become healthy, then it doesn't matter anymore does it ;)

Actually, you'll probably get MORE micronutrients from white rice than brown. As far as macronutrition value, that's not true, of course.
    I can eat a LOAD of sugar and be the same as if I eat a 'balanced meal' with complex carbs.

Why is that the case?

Actually, you're wrong. You don't get more micronutrients from white rice. One of the major consequences of the refining process of white rice (besides the high glycemic index) is the loss of fiber, vitamins, magnesium and other minerals. White rice is fortified with iron and SOME B vitamins but that's pretty much it.
  • kickivale
    Options

I am no saint, and I don't know it all, not even close, but I think the condo is really big and it's silly of us to make it so small.

Just to note, NIH doesn't do an awful lot of primary research. They do, however, maintain PubMed, which is a search engine/repository for primary research that appears in peer-reviewed journals.

The fact that you have told me twice that I don't understand something I have researched is really not conductive to a conversation. It makes you appear as though you're not open. And I'm not interested in a dialogue with a closed person, so we can just agree to disagree.
  • jonnythan
    Options

The fact that you have told me twice that I don't understand something I have researched is really not conductive to a conversation. It makes you appear as though you're not open. And I'm not interested in a dialogue with a closed person, so we can just agree to disagree.

Whatever you've researched, you don't get IIFYM if you say that it doesn't take into account a macronutrient (which trans fat is), or that it doesn't take into account micronutrients (it does).

Whatever you think IIFYM, it's not that.
  • Achrya
    Options

Why is that the case?

Actually, you're wrong. You don't get more micronutrients from white rice. One of the major consequences of the refining process of white rice (besides the high glycemic index) is the loss of fiber, vitamins, magnesium and other minerals. White rice is fortified with iron and SOME B vitamins but that's pretty much it.

You know how you can say something that's true (white rice loses micronutrients when it's processed) and yet can still be wrong?

This is one of those time..
  • kickivale
    Options

Whatever you've researched, you don't get IIFYM if you say that it doesn't take into account a macronutrient (which trans fat is), or that it doesn't take into account micronutrients (it does).

Whatever you think IIFYM, it's not that.

It seems to be the general consensus from within the IIFYM community (via bodybuilding sites mostly) that trans fat is just fat. And a calorie is just a calorie. And if it fits…..!(you know how it ends)
    I don't believe that is true.
    I also don't believe we can just eat whatever meat comes out of a factory because its a protein. Some of it is filled with hormones, and is fed garbage in a cage all it's life. That meat (TO ME) is not up to par, even if it fits my macros.

Thats my point.
    IIFYM is too simplified for me.
    I don't think it means being as healthy as possible, I think in means looking good mostly.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    My evidence.
    The following is from Alan Aragon.

White rice actually has an equal or better nutritional yield & also has a better nitrogen-retentive effect than brown rice. This is because the fiber & phytate content of brown rice act as antinutrients, reducing the bioavailability of the micronutrients it contains. Since no one is reading the fricking link, I'll just lay things out here:

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877
    Your play.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    It seems to be the general consensus from within the IIFYM community (via bodybuilding sites mostly) that trans fat is just fat.

I have never seen this opinion among education IIFYM followers. But I don't get my information from bodybuilding message boards, I guess.
  • kickivale
    Options
    It seems to be the general consensus from within the IIFYM community (via bodybuilding sites mostly) that trans fat is just fat.

I have never seen this opinion among education IIFYM followers. But I don't get my information from bodybuilding message boards, I guess.

Where would you suggest I find the most accurate outline of IIFYM and the educated community that adheres to the guidelines?
    My research began at IIFYM.com which I thought was logical. But if there is something you can share with me, I am happy to take a look.

This seems to be some sort of IIFYM mission statement:

IIFYM doesn’t care if you eat pizza, or chicken breast.
    IIFYM doesn’t shame you if you chose ice cream over oatmeal.
    Nor does IIFYM care how often you eat, or how many meals you eat in a day.
    Eat the foods you love, stay within your own personal macro nutrient range and burn fat without the pain that most people associate with dieting!
    Notice I did not say “starve your self, and enjoy one slice of pizza per day”. This is because IIFYM is based on Science. Not on voodoo. a 15% reduction in calories is all that is needed to make your body a fat burning furnace.
    That is the basic idea behind IIFYM.
    There is more to it but it really is quite simple.
    1. Know how many calories your body burns throughout an average day (your TDEE)
    2. Eat 15-20% less calories every day than that number
    3. Split those calories up between fat, protein and carbs in an ratio that is most beneficial for muscle preservation, fat loss, without a drop in daily energy.
    For more details on how to get started with IIDYM, browse the other articles on this site and check out our proprietary Macro Calculator by then end of this hour, you can be on your way to eating foods you love, and burning fat while you do it!

I'm just saying….thats too simple for me.
    You're telling me I don't get it.
    I get it.
    So unless you have something specific to share, we should agree to disagree, right?