Are pepperoni balls unhealthy?!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Where would you suggest I find the most accurate outline of IIFYM and the educated community that adheres to the guidelines?
    My research began at IIFYM.com which I thought was logical. But if there is something you can share with me, I am happy to take a look.

MFP, actually. I'd also recommend the writings of Alan Aragon. Those two will keep you busy for a while.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Where would you suggest I find the most accurate outline of IIFYM and the educated community that adheres to the guidelines?
    My research began at IIFYM.com which I thought was logical. But if there is something you can share with me, I am happy to take a look.

MFP, actually. I'd also recommend the writings of Alan Aragon. Those two will keep you busy for a while.

Well, I've read a lot of the MFP threads on it, so that takes me to Alan Aragon! Will get on it.
    I hope we can take the AWARENESS and accountability of looking at what we eat via trends like IIFYM, and add in some social responsibility. (such as more ethical farming practices and less hormones/additives/pesticides, education about whole foods, an end to certain bullsh*t subsidies) With a combination of these things, we can truly be healthier, not just "less fat"
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Yes, dangerous food additives get banned if they're found out to be dangerous. Why? Cause it's kinda hard to sell your stuff to dead people.
    The things you mentioned that are able to cause heart disease etc. etc. have to be eaten so much in excess, it's impossible to eat them iifym and overeat on them. It just doesn't happen. Main reason why most people who die of heart disease and associated diseases, surprise surprise, are obese. These things are only dangerous to you if you overeat them. And not just for a little but for a long long time.

And what did you get taught in chemistry class? "All things are a poison. Only the lethal dose varies."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    It seems to be the general consensus from within the IIFYM community (via bodybuilding sites mostly) that trans fat is just fat.

I have never seen this opinion among education IIFYM followers. But I don't get my information from bodybuilding message boards, I guess.

This seems to be some sort of IIFYM mission statement:

IIFYM doesn’t care if you eat pizza, or chicken breast.
    IIFYM doesn’t shame you if you chose ice cream over oatmeal.
    Nor does IIFYM care how often you eat, or how many meals you eat in a day.
    Eat the foods you love, stay within your own personal macro nutrient range and burn fat without the pain that most people associate with dieting!
    Notice I did not say “starve your self, and enjoy one slice of pizza per day”. This is because IIFYM is based on Science. Not on voodoo. a 15% reduction in calories is all that is needed to make your body a fat burning furnace.
    That is the basic idea behind IIFYM.
    There is more to it but it really is quite simple.
    1. Know how many calories your body burns throughout an average day (your TDEE)
    2. Eat 15-20% less calories every day than that number
    3. Split those calories up between fat, protein and carbs in an ratio that is most beneficial for muscle preservation, fat loss, without a drop in daily energy.
    For more details on how to get started with IIDYM, browse the other articles on this site and check out our proprietary Macro Calculator by then end of this hour, you can be on your way to eating foods you love, and burning fat while you do it!

I'm just saying….thats too simple for me.
    You're telling me I don't get it.
    I get it.
    So unless you have something specific to share, we should agree to disagree, right?

as opposed to a bunch of mumbo jumbo about "chemicals in food", restricting certain bad foods, fruit sugar is good, but added sugar is bad, these carbs are good, but these carbs are bad, and on and on ..

In my experience, the simplest answer is the correct one...so I will stick with simplicity and the benefits that come along with it.
  • kickivale
    Options
    Yes, dangerous food additives get banned if they're found out to be dangerous. Why? Cause it's kinda hard to sell your stuff to dead people.
    The things you mentioned that are able to cause heart disease etc. etc. have to be eaten so much in excess, it's impossible to eat them iifym and overeat on them. It just doesn't happen. Main reason why most people who die of heart disease and associated diseases, surprise surprise, are obese. These things are only dangerous to you if you overeat them. And not just for a little but for a long long time.

And what did you get taught in chemistry class? "All things are a poison. Only the lethal dose varies."

Or you can just give people enough poison to make them sick and sedentary, then you can take their money for medications. Thats where I fear we are headed as consumers.
    I love the idea of changing the energy of the culture, and I want to keep the dialogue going about how that can happen. What I don't want is to sound like I don't respect other people choices. I love reading all of these opinions, it's helping me see many sides.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Funny thing, we're neither sick nor sedentary here. It's almost as if counting your calories, getting off your *kitten* and living iifym foils the evil, mustache-twisting plan of the evil corporations. What a crappy plan if it can be foiled so easily.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Back to the pepperoni balls.

http://stanganellis.com/products/
  • kickivale
    Options
    Funny thing, we're neither sick nor sedentary here. It's almost as if counting your calories, getting off your *kitten* and living iifym foils the evil, mustache-twisting plan of the evil corporations. What a crappy plan if it can be foiled so easily.

Those kind of responses directed at an earnest conversation feel pretty negative so I think its time to bow out of the thread and keep it moving
    ::::wave::::
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Those kind of responses directed at an earnest conversation feel pretty negative so I think its time to bow out of the thread and keep it moving

I think you just need to eat what you think is healthy for you...me...I am thinking about making those pepperoni balls the next time I want pizza.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    What kind of answers are you expecting when you're talking like a conspiracy theorist about companies kinda putting deadly stuff in their stuff but only just enough to make you sick without killing you? (Even though deadly doses would differ from person to person by height, age, weight etc.)
    Something able to make a grown person "sick and sedentary" would outright kill children a lot of times. How many dead children dying of "Coca Cola overdose" would there be?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd rather hope that if claims of intentional poisoning were in an 'earnest' conversation, they would be backed up with decent evidence. So not surprised you got the (rather tame) response you did.

As it goes, I don't think there is a specific definition of 'IIFYM'. Sadly, a bit like 'clean eating'. But most people I've seen that "follow" it don't take it as the ONLY principal in choosing their nutrition, as many who 'clean' seem to.

The way I and most people I've seen that 'use' the principal is just not to get overly worried about what their macros are made of.
  • kickivale
    Options
    I'd rather hope that if claims of intentional poisoning were in an 'earnest' conversation, they would be backed up with decent evidence. So not surprised you got the (rather tame) response you did.

As it goes, I don't think there is a specific definition of 'IIFYM'. Sadly, a bit like 'clean eating'. But most people I've seen that "follow" it don't take it as the ONLY principal in choosing their nutrition, as many who 'clean' seem to.

The way I and most people I've seen that 'use' the principal is just not to get overly worried about what their macros are made of.

Just taking a guess that you didn't read the link I posted about govt. and subsidies. If you're interested take a look, if not then we are on different pages and there's no need to move forward.
    I don't kowtow the idea on MFP or any other internet forum that 'tame' responses should be applauded. I don't think we should give passes because people don't lose their miiiiiinds with anger or argument every 3 seconds. I strive for a little more than that if I'm gonna get into a convo.
    My opinion is that corporations and govts want the masses (especially those in poverty) to remain subservient to avoid revolutionary change. This can be achieved in many ways, and what is available to eat is part of it. That doesn't mean you need to agree but it also doesn't immediately call for sarcasm or judgement.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Lacking cat gifs
    hE42154B8
  • marko320
    marko320 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The subject line made me click. After a while, I no longer cared about the original post and found myself looking at all of the hot lady selfies in their profiles. Carry on.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Just taking a guess that you didn't read the link I posted about govt. and subsidies. If you're interested take a look, if not then we are on different pages and there's no need to move forward.
    I just did. Your link doesn't mention poison. It does have a link to show that junk food might be addictive to mice - I'll be certain to be careful giving such food to mice. Me, I find Melon is addictive - I can't have just one slice, I always end up having the entire thing. Sometimes two.
    I am very sceptical of so many conspiracy theories on an Occam's Razor / general logic basis. It's rare governments manage to not mess up basic stuff, with all sorts of bad stuff that happens getting out - so when NOTHING concrete in relation to such conspiracies gets out, it suggests it doesn't really exist. You'd think they'd use the same people and techniques on a lot of the stuff they consider more important!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Lacking cat gifs
    hE42154B8

That cat is not a clean eater...I think he leans more toward the...if it fits...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Just cus it's low in calories don't mean it's healthy, but doesn't mean it's unhealthy either. However, I think you know the answer to this. Pepperoni is fatty unless it's turkey pepperoni, white bread is not good for you, it's a bad carb, however it's ok to have something like this once in awhile, so don't beat yourself up.

there is nothing wrong with fat, and fats should compose about 30 percent of your diet…

and white bread is bad…please? As opposed to other bread that is "good"….

I never said you shouldn't eat fat, but there is good fats and bad fats.

White bread and white rice are made from refined white flour containing several unwholesome constituents and very little in the way of nutrients and dietary fiber, essential for a healthy digestive system and a stable metabolism. This is why:

eh…fat is fat ….eat in a deficit, consume fats, you will be fine…

there is nothing wrong with white rice, or white bread….I would be interested to read the peer reviewed studies that you have access to backing up these claims...

Actually, not all fats are the same. There are good and bad fats,

As far as white rice and white bread, they have pretty much zero nutritional value and are at the top end of the glycemic index. So if BG and insulin fluctuations are pleasant for you, then by all means…

i would be interested to read the studies that prove there is bad fat and good fat…

where are the bad fats, in jail?