Are we all..sexist?

Replies

• Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Its just life.

At restaurants, I usually get treated extremely well. The majority of that comes from how I treat people and tip very well for good service. Perhaps because I stand out in a crowd because of my height, looks, etc...I do get an advantage.

There have been times bartenders have comped me drinks for the night. I would hazard that was solely based on looks, personality and how I treated them.

So I definitely think it has to do with how attractive a person appears, not solely on gender although that factors into it all just on sexual preference.

Is it right? Absolutely not, but unfortunately the world is not always fair and there at times when people sense the chip you have on your shoulder and won't go out of their way to help you remove it.

This is described as the "halo effect."
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Its just life.

At restaurants, I usually get treated extremely well. The majority of that comes from how I treat people and tip very well for good service. Perhaps because I stand out in a crowd because of my height, looks, etc...I do get an advantage.

There have been times bartenders have comped me drinks for the night. I would hazard that was solely based on looks, personality and how I treated them.

So I definitely think it has to do with how attractive a person appears, not solely on gender although that factors into it all just on sexual preference.

Is it right? Absolutely not, but unfortunately the world is not always fair and there at times when people sense the chip you have on your shoulder and won't go out of their way to help you remove it.

This is described as the "halo effect."

Yes sir. :flowerforyou:
  • CoffeeBugg
    CoffeeBugg Posts: 75 Member

1. He's been going on job interviews as well, they were about to hire him until a lesser qualified piece of eye candy came into the picture and got the job instead..this happened to him twice.

How does he know what her qualifications are?
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653 Member

1. He's been going on job interviews as well, they were about to hire him until a lesser qualified piece of eye candy came into the picture and got the job instead..this happened to him twice.

He has a friend that's a manager at the place. He was the one that told him what happened and her qualifications
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

He has a friend that's a manager at the place. He was the one that told him what happened and her qualifications

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, but your friend's friend was looking for a nice way to tell him he either bombed the interview or isn't qualified. He have a friend at the other place too?

Your friend needs to get over himself. He's not being slighted cause womenz exist. He is looking to blame something for the outcome of these situations not meeting his expectation. It sucks he had a troubled life and mommy and daddy didn't care enough -- that is the story for many, many people.

• 1. He's been going on job interviews as well, they were about to hire him until a lesser qualified piece of eye candy came into the picture and got the job instead..this happened to him twice.

Sorry, but your friend's friend was looking for a nice way to tell him he either bombed the interview or isn't qualified. He have a friend at the other place too?

Your friend needs to get over himself. He's not being slighted cause womenz exist. He is looking to blame something for the outcome of these situations not meeting his expectation. It sucks he had a troubled life and mommy and daddy didn't care enough -- that is the story for many, many people.

I agree. Very well said. :flowerforyou:
  • arwacky

I agree. Very well said. :flowerforyou:

I get where you guys are coming from but this thread wasn't meant to be a discussion of how horrible my friend is or if he's spoiled etc. I just wanted to bring up an opinion that he's had lately and see if people agree. Clearly he's a decent guy otherwise I wouldn't be friends with him so can we try not to turn this into a "lets hate on the guy who has this theory thread" and discuss if you had any sexist encounters.
  • reimaka17
    reimaka17 Posts: 48 Member
    So one of my guy friends is starting to hate women because he thinks that everyone treats women so much better than guys. What do you guys think?

I have a couple examples that he gave me..
    2. We were at a Spanish deli and we both ordered chicken, rice, and beans. They asked me what part of the chicken I wanted and they didn't ask him. Afterwards he points it out. I told him he should've let them know..he said he was being quiet to prove a point that women are always treated better than men. (Side note a third friend who usually goes to that deli says that they treat you better of you're a woman or speak Spanish so maybe it's based on the place..)

Do you think we as a society are sexist???

Oh yeah, women get treated so much better than men! Let me list the ways:
    -rape culture
    -most women can't walk outside at night for fear of being raped (1 in every 6 American women have been the victim of attempted/complete rape in her lifetime)
    -we can't get drunk at bars/clubs for, again, fear of being raped
    -when we are raped we're blamed for leading men on
    -we can't dress provocatively 'cause then we're *kitten* deserving of rape
    -women still make less than men (77 cents to a man's dollar) in the US. Never mind other countries where it's devastating less
    -women in the workforce are generally considered to have "slept their way to the top"
    -women in the work place are constantly coddled, underestimated, and dismissed regardless of their ability
    -women often lose high ranking positions to men despite being of equal/more qualified
    -if a woman has sex before marriage she's ruined, not to mention, y'know, a *kitten*
    -if a woman gets pregnant before marriage it's entirely her fault for not closing her legs
    -women who'd rather a career than raise children are looked down upon and considered selfish
    -women are constantly verbally/emotionally/physically assaulted and we're expected to grin and bear it (street/car calling, wolf whistling, butt slapping, etc)
    -women are expected to marry at a certain age otherwise there's something wrong with them
    -women are expected to have children otherwise there's something wrong with them
    -women can't even serve their country because the level of sexism and misogyny is the army/military is atrocious
    -women are expected to be rack thin and dolled up because otherwise we're ugly and plain and lazy
    -women can't sleep around, admit to masturbating, or discuss sex without being considered a *kitten*
    -women are continuously sexually objectified by everyone, but particularly the entertainment industry
    -women who bring these things to light and try to change things (feminists, womanists, etc) are called all number of things, such as: *kitten*, crazies, femi-nazis, radicals, etc. the word "feminist" carries so many negative connotations despite the fact that feminists are the ones who helped us get this far
    -abortion and birth control. enough said.
    -to a lot of people our worth amounts to how much leg and cleavage we show, and how attractive we are
    -the worst insults you could give a man is apparently calling him gay (which, to a lot of people, is synonymous with being girly) or comparing him to a girl
    -ETC, ETC, ETC (because I could seriously go on and on and on and on and on)

And that's only in the USA.

Here ya go. So the next time your friend whines about how hard he has it there's a list you can shove at him.

(BTW: I'm fully aware that gender expectations goes both ways. I could easily make a list of the ways men are mistreated and discriminated against because of stupid social constructs, if anyone would like. It probably wouldn't be as long, but it wouldn't be short, either.)
  • This thread is going south. Way to incite gender wars.
  • arwacky
    This thread is going south. Way to incite gender wars.

Wasn't my intention at all. Sorry!!! :blushing:
  • So one of my guy friends is starting to hate women because he thinks that everyone treats women so much better than guys. What do you guys think?

2. We were at a Spanish deli and we both ordered chicken, rice, and beans. They asked me what part of the chicken I wanted and they didn't ask him. Afterwards he points it out. I told him he should've let them know..he said he was being quiet to prove a point that women are always treated better than men. (Side note a third friend who usually goes to that deli says that they treat you better of you're a woman or speak Spanish so maybe it's based on the place..)

-rape culture
    -most women can't walk outside at night for fear of being raped (1 in every 6 American women have been the victim of attempted/complete rape in her lifetime)
    -women still make less than men (77 cents to a man's dollar) in the US. Never mind other countries where it's devastating less
    -women in the workforce are generally considered to have "slept their way to the top"
    -women in the work place are constantly coddled, underestimated, and dismissed regardless of their ability
    -women often lose high ranking positions to men despite being of equal/more qualified
    -if a woman has sex before marriage she's ruined, not to mention, y'know, a *kitten*
    -if a woman gets pregnant before marriage it's entirely her fault for not closing her legs
    -women who'd rather a career than raise children are looked down upon and considered selfish
    -women are constantly verbally/emotionally/physically assaulted and we're expected to grin and bear it (street/car calling, wolf whistling, butt slapping, etc)
    -women are expected to marry at a certain age otherwise there's something wrong with them
    -women are expected to have children otherwise there's something wrong with them
    -women can't even serve their country because the level of sexism and misogyny is the army/military is atrocious
    -women are expected to be rack thin and dolled up because otherwise we're ugly and plain and lazy
    -women can't sleep around, admit to masturbating, or discuss sex without being considered a *kitten*
    -women are continuously sexually objectified by everyone, but particularly the entertainment industry
    -women who bring these things to light and try to change things (feminists, womanists, etc) are called all number of things, such as: *kitten*, crazies, femi-nazis, radicals, etc. the word "feminist" carries so many negative connotations despite the fact that feminists are the ones who helped us get this far
    -to a lot of people our worth amounts to how much leg and cleavage we show, and how attractive we are
    -the worst insults you could give a man is apparently calling him gay (which, to a lot of people, is synonymous with being girly) or comparing him to a girl

Here ya go. So the next time your friend whines about how hard he has it there's a list you can shove at him.

(BTW: I'm fully aware that gender expectations goes both ways. I could easily make a list of the ways men are mistreated and discriminated against because of stupid social constructs, if anyone would like. It probably wouldn't be as long, but it wouldn't be short, either.)

Nice list. Make the list for guys too please. :flowerforyou:
  • reimaka17

The women probably got hired because they could pay them less.

Really?

Don't u have equal opportunity laws and award wages that a qualified person has to be paid the same regardless of gender?

Not in the US. Women generally get paid 77 cents to a man's dollar even if they're working the same position, pulling the same hours, outputting the same amount of work, etc. You get the idea. Men get paid more, the end. It's 2014 and yet it hasn't been changed. You'd think we were a developed nation...oh, wait.
  • arwacky
    So one of my guy friends is starting to hate women because he thinks that everyone treats women so much better than guys. What do you guys think?

-rape culture

Agreed!!! It's only fair. :smile:

Thank you for the list! :flowerforyou:
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    I don't think it has anything to do with his gender.

He sounds like whiny b*tch.

Maybe that's why he's treated differently.
  • reimaka17

-rape culture

Here ya go, guys:

-men shouldn't display emotion. they should be stoic.
    -men's feelings are often trivialized (i.e., the term "Man Pain(TM)")
    -men always need to be macho and dominant otherwise they're gay
    -men can't be gay, not even in porn
    -men can't like anything even remotely feminine
    -men need to be physically strong and tall
    -men are expected to make the higher income. if not they're failures.
    -men are expected to be and like violence because it's a "manly" thing (and "boys will be boys!")
    -men are expected to be callous and cruel
    -men are expected to be short-tempered and angry
    -in a traditional family unit, men are expected to mess things up
    -men are pressured into losing their virginity as early as possible
    -men are expected to be promiscuous
    -men are expected to be cheaters
    -men get sexually assaulted by both genders but they rarely say anything for fear of being ridiculed, disbelieved, etc.
    -men can be trapped in physical/emotional/mental relationships but won't get help for aforementioned reasons.
    -men are expected to be the *kitten*-up parent
    -men are expected to be the disciplining parent
    -in family court men are less likely to win custody battles
    -men are generally considered to be perverts and sex offenders, which is why men with occupations that deal with children cause suspicion and wariness (nanny jobs, early childhood teachers, etc), and why parents generally don't allow their children to be alone with men without a female presence
    -men are expected to enjoy sexual harassment if the harasser is even remotely attractive
    -men are expected to be sex-crazed and crude
    -men are expected to cater to women because women are considered to be weaker/smaller/delicate snowflakes/etc (ex: lifting heavy objects, paying for things, etc)
    -society is more forgiving of women who hit men than men who hit women, regardless the reason, and even in instances of self-defense
    -men are expected to take charge of everything in a relationship (paying for meals, setting up dates, proposing, etc)
    -women can like backdoor play but men absolutely cannot
    -men can't show other men platonic affection without having their sexuality questioned
    -ladies Nights at clubs/bars
    -violence against women in media is bad, violence against men in media is funny
    -male circumcision-- it should be the man's choice to cut off a piece of their genitals
    -army drafting and differing expectations in the military/army

...and that's all I've got. There's probably a ton ore that will come to me later and I'll be kicking myself for having forgotten them. Like I'm currently kicking myself for having forgotten to include these to the women's list:

-god forbid women get mad about something or we're accused of being hormonal, PMS-ing, or in need of sex.
    -women are expected to hold the family together. it's their job.
    -women who initiate anything in a relationship (asking the other person out, proposing, etc) are considered to be pathetic
    -women are expected to be passive in relationships
    -women are expected to be in charge of the household (cleaning, cooking, raising children, etc) regardless if they have a career
    -women are expected to be maternal
    -women are expected to be bleeding hearts
    -women are considered to be *kitten* if they like boy things at a young age
    -women are often pushed into taking their husband's last name (not to mention their children)
    -non-virgins are ridiculed for having the audacity to wear white on their wedding day
    -Ms, Mrs, Miss, etc, are all titles created to separate unwed women from married women and widowed women
    -women are considered to be emotional and irrational, and therefore not worth the effort of paying proper attention to
    -there are very few women with careers/jobs in physically demanding (aka, conventionally "macho") jobs despite the advantages of their physiques (firefighters, cops, construction workers, soldiers, etc)
    -heels.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    This thread is going south. Way to incite gender wars.

Wasn't my intention at all. Sorry!!! :blushing:

you should be
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member

-rape culture

seeesh, if i had this much time on my hands id be the richest motha in the world
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

-rape culture

Yes, yes. We get it. Your life is so much harder . . .:sad:
  • reimaka17
    seeesh, if i had this much time on my hands id be the richest motha in the world

You know what's funny? That only took me a few minutes. As a young woman raised in a traditionally Hispanic, predominantly female household most of those examples are from firsthand experience. Oh, and reading related material, but, you have no time for reading socially/globally important things so I won't recommend it to ya.

I will say this, however: even if it had taken me half an hour or even an hour to construct I wouldn't have minded it if even one person read it and thought about a situation where either they were grossly sexist/misogynistic or they were around someone who was and could have stopped but didn't. Because, y'know, maybe next time that one person won't slap some girl's *kitten* in a bar, shout obscene things at her while they drive by, or say things like "she deserved whatever she got with that outfit", and it'd be considered an accomplishment. Not to mention the existence of one less *kitten* in the world, if we were lucky.
  • reimaka17
    Yes, yes. We get it. Your life is so much harder . . .:sad:

That's seriously what you got from all of that? Way to trivialize important information and the honest-to-gosh lives and experiences of so many women by being butthurt. I have to wonder if your frankly gross responses are because you're uncomfortable with this topic, and then I have to ask myself why that might be.

In any case, it's not a freaking competition, it's the reality of things. If most people were aware of unfair and damaging gender expectations and how rampant sexism is, and actively put a stop to it, then perhaps this world wouldn't be such a crappy place (y'know, where 1 in every 6 women are subjected to sexual violence and typically blamed for it and there there isn't even a reliable statistic for men because most are too afraid of being ridiculed or disbelieved to get help). But most people--like you--"don't have time" to care about such things and so nothing changes.

ETA: And y'know what? Let me tell you why your response is so gross. It's because every time women speak up and speak out we're told to "stop complaining about everything", like we should be effing grateful for what we do have like we're dogs being fed by society's scraps.

-"Oh, don't complain about the inequality of wages and promotion deliveries, just be lucky be lucky you're getting paid anything at all!"
    -"Oh, don't whine about sexual harassment, it's just the way things are! Why can't you be like Mary who just grins and bears it?"
    -"Oh, quit harping about sexual violence! Most of them either wanted it or deserved it anyway!"
    -"Oh, stop saying those feminist-y things! Feminists are all hairy, man-hating *kitten*, you know! Don't you want to be pretty and wanted?"

et-freaking-cetera.