Are we all..sexist?

Replies

• Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    -we can't get drunk at bars/clubs for, again, fear of being raped
    -when we are raped we're blamed for leading men on
    -women in the workforce are generally considered to have "slept their way to the top"
    -women in the work place are constantly coddled, underestimated, and dismissed regardless of their ability
    -if a woman has sex before marriage she's ruined, not to mention, y'know, a *kitten*
    -if a woman gets pregnant before marriage it's entirely her fault for not closing her legs
    -women who'd rather a career than raise children are looked down upon and considered selfish
    -women are constantly verbally/emotionally/physically assaulted and we're expected to grin and bear it (street/car calling, wolf whistling, butt slapping, etc)
    -women are expected to marry at a certain age otherwise there's something wrong with them
    -women are expected to have children otherwise there's something wrong with them
    -women can't even serve their country because the level of sexism and misogyny is the army/military is atrocious
    -women can't sleep around, admit to masturbating, or discuss sex without being considered a *kitten*
    -abortion and birth control. enough said.

Do you live in the middle ages? The deep south? As part of a religious society? If the ones above are actually a part of day to day culture where you're from then I strongly suggest you move.

I think she lives in Jezebel.com.
  • jd1208
    jd1208 Posts: 81 Member
    So one of my guy friends is starting to hate women because he thinks that everyone treats women so much better than guys. What do you guys think?

I have a couple examples that he gave me..
    1. He's been going on job interviews as well, they were about to hire him until a lesser qualified piece of eye candy came into the picture and got the job instead..this happened to him twice.
    2. We were at a Spanish deli and we both ordered chicken, rice, and beans. They asked me what part of the chicken I wanted and they didn't ask him. Afterwards he points it out. I told him he should've let them know..he said he was being quiet to prove a point that women are always treated better than men. (Side note a third friend who usually goes to that deli says that they treat you better of you're a woman or speak Spanish so maybe it's based on the place..)

Do you think we as a society are sexist???

1. He's been going on job interviews as well, they were about to hire him until a lesser qualified piece of eye candy came into the picture and got the job instead..this happened to him twice.

Bit of an assumption! Did he interview the 'eye candy' himself or did he just assume a nice looking girl can't possibly be very qualified.

I am sure he does experience some sort of sexism every now and again, but it sounds to me like he is reading too much into it. Something we are all culprits I am sure. The other day I thought I was being hounded by some lecherous old man while I was walking down the street, turned out I had dropped something. Certainly made an *kitten* of myself. We should never guess peoples motives without actual evidence.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    The Patriachy, screwing everyone over, since forever.
  • It is rare that I feel I was treated better just because I'm a woman - overall, I feel life is much more difficult because I am one. I don't get any breaks from anyone and never have - men almost never hold doors for me (other women are more likely to), I have yet to get hired for my looks (that I was aware of), and its very uncommon for the service to seem any better at a place - with, perhaps, the exception of a guy who is obviously flirting (on very rare occasions), but I see women do this for men they find attractive just as often. I hear my guy friends complain about us women getting everything and I just have to wonder what the *F* they think they are talking about - noone ever gives me anything for free, or does anything for me for free either - the only people who ever help me are close friends or family. Do men want my cramps or something? Maybe its the inherently weaker muscles they are jealous of? I know, they want to have their own boobs... If I could trade places, I would.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Listen, can we just agree that you're not a woman and have no idea of the kind of things women are subjected to on a daily basis? The same way I'm hardly an expert in the the things men go through (...)
    And that's just it, neither side can accurately understand how the other one perceives things.

This is why subjective arguments that either gender has it harder are unconvincing (not to mention that human beings in general aren't awesome at self-awareness). This is also why there are a lot of men who claim women are advantaged and a lot of women who claim men are.

There are, however, objective arguments that women have it harder (at least in some areas).
  • i worked tickets at the entrance to a parking lot years ago... i let several guys park their bikes for free... was it because they were guys? nope... it was because they were riding harleys... :D
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    i worked tickets at the entrance to a parking lot years ago... i let several guys park their bikes for free... was it because they were guys? nope... it was because they were riding harleys... :D
    Motorcyclist!
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653 Member
    i worked tickets at the entrance to a parking lot years ago... i let several guys park their bikes for free... was it because they were guys? nope... it was because they were riding harleys... :D

Haha that made me smile. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

Great, now all I can think about it going for a ride...... and it's snowing out... thanks a lot!
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    So one of my guy friends is starting to hate women because he thinks that everyone treats women so much better than guys. What do you guys think?

I have a couple examples that he gave me..
    2. We were at a Spanish deli and we both ordered chicken, rice, and beans. They asked me what part of the chicken I wanted and they didn't ask him. Afterwards he points it out. I told him he should've let them know..he said he was being quiet to prove a point that women are always treated better than men. (Side note a third friend who usually goes to that deli says that they treat you better of you're a woman or speak Spanish so maybe it's based on the place..)

Do you think we as a society are sexist???

I think the takeaway here should be that this friend of yours is sexist. Assuming a woman got hired because she's "eye candy"? How is THAT not sexist? Reducing women to objects and reducing their achievements so flippantly is just... erhhghg. And how does he know her exact qualifications, anyway? Finally, a lot of the hiring process is decided by the interview, where the interviewer will assess your working style, your energy, etc, and see if you'd be a good fit to their team. It's not all about looking good on paper.

And finally, if these women were hired because they're "eye candy," that's still sexist against women. That means the employer is sexually objectifying them and is not taking them seriously. And it opens a door for some potential sexual harassment down the line.

Just because some guy at a restaurant was courteous to a woman once doesn't mean that we live in some MRA nightmare world.
  • Mrsallypants
    I think the takeaway here should be that this friend of yours is sexist. Assuming a woman got hired because she's "eye candy"? How is THAT not sexist? Reducing women to objects and reducing their achievements so flippantly is just... erhhghg. And how does he know her exact qualifications, anyway? Finally, a lot of the hiring process is decided by the interview, where the interviewer will assess your working style, your energy, etc, and see if you'd be a good fit to their team. It's not all about looking good on paper.

And finally, if these women were hired because they're "eye candy," that's still sexist against women. That means the employer is sexually objectifying them and is not taking them seriously. And it opens a door for some potential sexual harassment down the line.

Just because some guy at a restaurant was courteous to a woman once doesn't mean that we live in some MRA nightmare world.

I wouldn't say it is sexist since it does happen: http://www.hofstra.edu/pdf/orsp_shahani-denning_spring03.pdf

OP said her friend had one year experience and her none. His assumption is probable, but without better evidence impossible to determine. Maybe the company has a gender quota. lol
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

I wouldn't say it is sexist since it does happen: http://www.hofstra.edu/pdf/orsp_shahani-denning_spring03.pdf

OP said her friend had one year experience and her none. His assumption is probable, but without better evidence impossible to determine. Maybe the company has a gender quota. lol

Maybe it's a question of disposition. One year of experience isn't much -- and easily overlooked if somebody has a chip on their shoulder or went to a less prestigious school.

What the other person looks like wouldn't even be an issue if a man had got the position over the OP's friend. That speaks to the type of sexism women face. You are not taken seriously and you are reduced to your look. But LOL she must have got it because her company has a quote. LOL.

No.

Stop.

No.
  • Mrsallypants

The women probably got hired because they could pay them less.

Really?

Don't u have equal opportunity laws and award wages that a qualified person has to be paid the same regardless of gender?

Not in the US. Women generally get paid 77 cents to a man's dollar even if they're working the same position, pulling the same hours, outputting the same amount of work, etc. You get the idea. Men get paid more, the end. It's 2014 and yet it hasn't been changed. You'd think we were a developed nation...oh, wait.

Ok.
    I am surprised at that.

Is taken for granted in Australia that the same position gets paid the same amount, regardless of gender - is illegal to do otherwise.

Yes, I know average male earnings are still higher than average female earning but this correlates to a range of factors - more women take time out from the workforce to raise children, more women work part time, more women go into lower paid industries etc.
    But Women don't get paid less if they are equally qualified and work the same hours in the same job.

Our Government Accountability Office (GAO) continues to report that women still make less, even holding the same jobs (full time and year round). While the reasons you listed are accountable for 60% of the difference there is a good 40% that is unaccounted for and wholly unreasonable. It's also statically proven that the wage gap is higher for women of color (69c for African American women and 58c for Latinas/Hispanics, and again, this is for full-time, year round work). In the USA anyway-- I can't speak for other places.

There are other interesting statistics I've come across (such as that women with children get paid 2.5% less while men with children get paid 2% more (GAO) as some convoluted "boost" and that after our lovely (/sarcasm) recession men were re-employed more frequently (an increase of one million between 2011-2012, whereas the re-employment rate for women remained the same) leaving many women to resort to finding part-time work) but I'd need to check the reports/numbers again before I can officially add those.

Just to quickly add, I hear a lot of people justify the wage gap by pointing out the differences in male-dominant and female-dominant careers, but I never hear anyone mention anything about the fact that female-dominant jobs/careers are underpaid and undervalued which is a problem on its own and only contributes to the gap. Just some food for thought.

This is an interesting video on the wage gap myth, it's amazing that even Obama fell victim to this canard: http://youtu.be/vyFjPHwF6To

Check your facts. The wage gap is a real, documented phenomena, not just some made up *kitten*.

No one is contesting that, they are contesting the myth that it is the result of discrimination.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Your friend sounds like he has too much entitlement. Too much privilege.
  • Mrsallypants

Maybe it's a question of disposition. One year of experience isn't much -- and easily overlooked if somebody has a chip on their shoulder or went to a less prestigious school.

What the other person looks like wouldn't even be an issue if a man had got the position over the OP's friend. That speaks to the type of sexism women face. You are not taken seriously and you are reduced to your look. But LOL she must have got it because her company has a quote. LOL.

No.

Stop.

No.

Hiring because of beauty is benevolent sexism that hurts men more than women in this scenario, but discriminating because of beauty or lack thereof may not be as gender specific as it seems.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    I think about all the *kitten* women through out history and even still today have had to deal with and I don't worry too much if one or two guys are cranky because they think they're not being treated special enough.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

No.

Stop.

No.

Hiring because of beauty is benevolent sexism that hurts men more than women in this scenario, but discriminating because of beauty or lack thereof may not be as gender specific as it seems.

Um, you 100% missed the point.

Attractive people in general get preferential treatment -- this means both men and women. If a man had beat out OP's friend, even if he was more attractive than the friend, his looks wouldn't be talked about as the reason.
  • Mrsallypants

Um, you 100% missed the point.

Attractive people in general get preferential treatment -- this means both men and women. If a man had beat out OP's friend, even if he was more attractive than the friend, his looks wouldn't be talked about as the reason.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Hiring based on physical traits is not sexism unless it's continued trend of bias against one gender in favor of the other. Good looking men also get preferential treatment in the workplace. This is not sexism or discrimination. While many people think it's wrong, the word "sexism" or "discrimination" is thrown around far too often without justification.

Just like the whole "wage gap is due to discrimination and sexism" argument. False. Plenty of well constructed studies have shown wage gaps are due to other factors and nearly disappears when you control for these inputs. The amount due to discrimination is not statistically significant.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Excuse me while I conjure up my inward Avenue Q:

"Everybody's a little bit sexist..."