curvy girls or men who like them

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Funny how men never get called 'Curvy' or 'Full Figured' etc.

I don't understand why women take it as a compliment.

If a woman says to me, 'oh don't lose weight, I really like fat guys' they would be out the door.

Agreed! That's because they are fat.

Although I do love a man with a nice *kitten*. :love:

Can I call my beer guy belly full figured or curvy? I don't see why not. If women get to use this term.
    I think its about time overweight men got to use it as well. It's really the same thing, no?

Because everyone uses curvy as a euphemism for being overweight, right?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

If a woman says to me, 'oh don't lose weight, I really like fat guys' they would be out the door.

Can I call my beer guy belly full figured or curvy? I don't see why not. If women get to use this term.
    I think its about time overweight men got to use it as well. It's really the same thing, no?

not everyone, but way too many people do use it that way, therefore taking away the actual meaning of curvy.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

not everyone, but way too many people do use it that way, therefore taking away the actual meaning of curvy.

Mostly girls, by the way... at least concerning my personal experience.
    It often happens to me that, when I say I am fat, girls will answer me "noo, you're not fat, you're curvy".
    Which makes me giggle - I can calculate my BMI by myself, but yeah... I still appreciate the effort :tongue:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm a single woman who happens to be extremely curvy, current measurements 46-35-46

Recently my friends set me up with a guy, been seeing him for a few weeks or so. The other day he made a comment about how I should stop working out because he would hate to see my hips/butt get smaller, and when I showed him my before pic, he was disappointed that it had already gotten so much smaller, it used to be 53in. I have no intention of stopping my weight loss, but I found it interesting.

So my question is, other curvy woman or men who like curvy girls, have you gotten or made any request like this? I thought it might be fun to share.

I know guys who like big butts cannot lie =P

Nope. I've definitely seen improvement in how often I get complimented in relation to losing weight. I definitely look better, now, and I'm more confident, which helps tremendously. I think, if you like the way you are and you're truly confident at the size that you are, that's what's attractive to other people, not the actual stats.
  • Achrya
    Options

As I stated earlier I don''t think most people equate curvy with being overweight, I simply think that there is a very vocal minority who does. The fact is that most people is this very thread are drawing a distinction so it stands to reason that it's less about the people who actually use it that way, and more about the people who are offended at the use and so make snide jokes and disassociate with the word completely.

It is used far more by people like the guy I quoted wanting to know if his beer belly makes him curvy than by actual larger women. At least I don't know anyone in real life who uses it as another word for overweight in a non-ironic fashion.
  • Achrya
    Options

It often happens to me that, when I say I am fat, girls will answer me "noo, you're not fat, you're curvy".
    Which makes me giggle - I can calculate my BMI by myself, but yeah... I still appreciate the effort :tongue:

TIL BMI is a metric for curvy, instead of actual...you know. curves and bust/hip/waist ratios.
    Options

As I stated earlier I don''t think most people equate curvy with being overweight, I simply think that there is a very vocal minority who does. The fact is that most people is this very thread are drawing a distinction so it stands to reason that it's less about the people who actually use it that way, and more about the people who are offended at the use and so make snide jokes and disassociate with the word completely.

It is used far more by people like the guy I quoted wanting to know if his beer belly makes him curvy than by actual larger women. At least I don't know anyone in real life who uses it as another word for overweight in a non-ironic fashion.

I didn't read what you posted earlier. I just know I see it ALL of the time on here. I am not the least bit offended by it. If people want to say they are curvy, more power to them, but it is a grossly overused term, in my personal opinion.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

TIL BMI is a metric for curvy, instead of actual...you know. curves and bust/hip/waist ratios.

giphy.gif
  • Eleonora91
    Options

I know, I don't believe in the complete and absolute power of BMI as a fitness-indicator tool, I was referring to it just to make an example. Lets say I know about a few ways to decide whether I am curvy or "just" overweight.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Men were attracted to me when I weighed 97 pounds and when I weighed 235. Whatever your shape, they is someone out there attracted to it.

It's pretty rude to say that you were more attractive when you X was bigger or smaller.

Aim for a healthy weight, about 100 pounds per 5 feet, and 5 additional pounds for every additional inch, and don't worry about minutia. I have lots of muscle so at 5' 3" I don't really want to go below 150.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

I know, I don't believe in the complete and absolute power of BMI as a fitness-indicator tool, I was referring to it just to make an example. Lets say I know about a few ways to decide whether I am curvy or "just" overweight.

I hear what you are saying. Maybe people do need to face that they are overweight not just curvy or whatever. But then there are many, many, many people like me, who have struggled with massive body image issues including eating disorders or whatever that prefer the term because, as if you don't get called fat by others enough, it helps calm the anxiety. Yes I know I am effin overweight, what do you rather I say? Cos to me some of you just sound *****y and rude, like you don't care about people's feelings.
    Where I come from, if you aren't brown, you are supposed to be thin, well I am not thin, so I coin the term curvy for that reason also. You can say it's overused but think about WHY people use the term, who cares how cliche it sounds if it helps people have peace with their bodies.
  • Achrya
    Options

I didn't read what you posted earlier. I just know I see it ALL of the time on here. I am not the least bit offended by it. If people want to say they are curvy, more power to them, but it is a grossly overused term, in my personal opinion.

That's certainly all well and good, and I can't argue since this very thread seemed to be started on the whole 'curvy=overweight' train of thought, I'm just disagreeing with the word 'losing it's meaning'. Lots of people use it to refer to simply a woman who is curvy and so the meaning isn't at all lost.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Where I come from, if you aren't brown, you are supposed to be thin,

Well alrighty then... :noway: :noway: :noway:

sw50sw8sw578.gif
    Options

That's certainly all well and good, and I can't argue since this very thread seemed to be started on the whole 'curvy=overweight' train of thought, I'm just disagreeing with the word 'losing it's meaning'. Lots of people use it to refer to simply a woman who is curvy and so the meaning isn't at all lost.

Certainly many use it correctly, but just as many don't. You see it your way and I see it mine. I am ok with agreeing to disagree.
  • Achrya
    Options

Maybe to them you weren't fat, perception is what it is. Having a high BMI means little; I hover around the overweight lline myself (In that very picture i'm about 139 and I am not a tall woman) but few would argue that I'm 'overweight'. If I were to say I was fat people would probably scoff and protest just as they do when you say it.
  • Eleonora91
    Options
    I hear what you are saying. Maybe people do need to face that they are overweight not just curvy or whatever. But then there are many, many, many people like me, who have struggled with massive body image issues including eating disorders or whatever that prefer the term because, as if you don't get called fat by others enough, it helps calm the anxiety. Yes I know I am effin overweight, what do you rather I say? Cos to me some of you just sound *****y and rude, like you don't care about people's feelings.
    Where I come from, if you aren't brown, you are supposed to be thin, well I am not thin, so I coin the term curvy for that reason also. You can say it's overused but think about WHY people use the term, who cares how cliche it sounds if it helps people have peace with their bodies.

I actually support people using "curvy" as a compliment, especially because I believe you can be both curvy and overweight. You don't have to be ugly just because you're overweight... quite the opposite, you can definitely be beautiful.
    I just wouldn't put such a term on myself, especially because I know what most people mean when they refer to "curvy" girls.
  • Achrya
    Options

A. What?

B. When I was overweight I just called myself overweight.

C. I'm sorry if people wanting others to use the proper words to describe things upsets you so much.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

guys can't be curvy...we lack the "equipment" you ever seen a guy and said "wow, look at those child bearing hips"? LOL ....
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My husband is a very practical man. He had a very serious conversation with me regarding my weight. As the price of propane has gone up, he has decided that I need to pile back on the 75 lbs that I lost. That way we can save money on heating costs because when I'm fat I give off a lot of heat and we are able to turn the heat down lower at night.

LOL! Good man!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    will someone just post the gif of a dumpster on fire, because that is where this thread is headed....and yes, I am the Nostradamus of MFP ...AKA MFPDamus...bow down the to the awesomeness of my skillz...!