curvy girls or men who like them

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Funny how men never get called 'Curvy' or 'Full Figured' etc.

I don't understand why women take it as a compliment.

If a woman says to me, 'oh don't lose weight, I really like fat guys' they would be out the door.

guys can't be curvy...we lack the "equipment" you ever seen a guy and said "wow, look at those child bearing hips"? LOL ....

omg, I laughed so hard. You said you guys lack the "equipment", lmfao!! Yea, I need more coffee...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    will someone just post the gif of a dumpster on fire, because that is where this thread is headed....and yes, I am the Nostradamus of MFP ...AKA MFPDamus...bow down the to the awesomeness of my skillz...!

Whatever man. I called this as a dumpster fire on my wall hours ago. I am the oracle up in here.
  • sunny4art
    Options
    I have not had someone in real life compliment my curves. Quite the opposite actually. I am 42 34 43 I have got stopped on the street to be told to lose weight. I have had people tell me I am fat. But not really had that my curves are beautiful. Only on here. LOL So I am interested in what the men have to say.

For the record also, I used to wear a bikini on the beach when I was 20kg heavier, and had strangers hit me and tell me to put it away. I will never wear a bikini again. Words hurt!
    Perfect people are very rare in my opinion but many think they are and think they have the right to judge others and express their nasty opinions openly-mirrors are made for them. I think that we are the only ones who should judge and that should be by weather we are comfortable in our skin and with our health. Never let others be your motivation-they won't always be there, but you will. You are beautiful and God does't make anything less.:flowerforyou:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am curvy too, current measurements are around 40-37-46. My husband loves my shape and has commented to the same effect but he's primarily interested in health so he's happy for me. We've both been pleased to see that as I've lost pounds and inches it has been pretty evenly all over, leaving me with about the same figure as before just in a smaller version with less back fat and belly flab.
  • Achrya
    Options
    You know what I like? When I"m trying to say that people don't really use curvy to describe overweight people except in an ironic mocking fashion and then someone shows up to justify using curvy in a nonironic fashion, thus rendering everything I said pointless and laughable.

Nothing like being proven wrong in less than fifteen minutes, amirite?
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Because everyone uses curvy as a euphemism for being overweight, right?

not everyone, but way too many people do use it that way, therefore taking away the actual meaning of curvy.

Mostly girls, by the way... at least concerning my personal experience.
    It often happens to me that, when I say I am fat, girls will answer me "noo, you're not fat, you're curvy".
    Which makes me giggle - I can calculate my BMI by myself, but yeah... I still appreciate the effort :tongue:

TIL BMI is a metric for curvy, instead of actual...you know. curves and bust/hip/waist ratios.

I know, I don't believe in the complete and absolute power of BMI as a fitness-indicator tool, I was referring to it just to make an example. Lets say I know about a few ways to decide whether I am curvy or "just" overweight.

I hear what you are saying. Maybe people do need to face that they are overweight not just curvy or whatever. But then there are many, many, many people like me, who have struggled with massive body image issues including eating disorders or whatever that prefer the term because, as if you don't get called fat by others enough, it helps calm the anxiety. Yes I know I am effin overweight, what do you rather I say? Cos to me some of you just sound *****y and rude, like you don't care about people's feelings.
    Where I come from, if you aren't brown, you are supposed to be thin, well I am not thin, so I coin the term curvy for that reason also. You can say it's overused but think about WHY people use the term, who cares how cliche it sounds if it helps people have peace with their bodies.

A. What?

B. When I was overweight I just called myself overweight.

C. I'm sorry if people wanting others to use the proper words to describe things upsets you so much.

It's not that people want to use the proper term for themselves its them imposing what they think is the right term on others. What didn't you understand with what I wrote? I am confused about "A". Call yourself overweight when you are overweight if you like, but for others its harder than that. Why do you insist on being insensitive? It's great that you haven't felt that kind of anxiety but don't be nasty about it!
  • Achrya
    Options

not everyone, but way too many people do use it that way, therefore taking away the actual meaning of curvy.

It often happens to me that, when I say I am fat, girls will answer me "noo, you're not fat, you're curvy".
    Which makes me giggle - I can calculate my BMI by myself, but yeah... I still appreciate the effort :tongue:

TIL BMI is a metric for curvy, instead of actual...you know. curves and bust/hip/waist ratios.

I know, I don't believe in the complete and absolute power of BMI as a fitness-indicator tool, I was referring to it just to make an example. Lets say I know about a few ways to decide whether I am curvy or "just" overweight.

I hear what you are saying. Maybe people do need to face that they are overweight not just curvy or whatever. But then there are many, many, many people like me, who have struggled with massive body image issues including eating disorders or whatever that prefer the term because, as if you don't get called fat by others enough, it helps calm the anxiety. Yes I know I am effin overweight, what do you rather I say? Cos to me some of you just sound *****y and rude, like you don't care about people's feelings.
    Where I come from, if you aren't brown, you are supposed to be thin, well I am not thin, so I coin the term curvy for that reason also. You can say it's overused but think about WHY people use the term, who cares how cliche it sounds if it helps people have peace with their bodies.

A. What?

C. I'm sorry if people wanting others to use the proper words to describe things upsets you so much.

It's not that people want to use the proper term for themselves its them imposing what they think is the right term on others. What didn't you understand with what I wrote? I am confused about "A". Call yourself overweight when you are overweight if you like, but for others its harder than that. Why do you insist on being insensitive? It's great that you haven't felt that kind of anxiety but don't be nasty about it!

But Overweight is the right term. It's not an offensive term, it's an actual medical term to describe one who has a body fat percentage above what is considered healthy. It's factual, not insensitive or nasty.

And, for that matter, you have no idea what kind of anxiety I may feel or any idea how I was treated while over weight, or anything at all about me. All you know is that I like to use the proper terms for things, so I'll thank you to not make judgement calls about me and to not call me names.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

If a woman says to me, 'oh don't lose weight, I really like fat guys' they would be out the door.

guys can't be curvy...we lack the "equipment" you ever seen a guy and said "wow, look at those child bearing hips"? LOL ....

omg, I laughed so hard. You said you guys lack the "equipment", lmfao!! Yea, I need more coffee...

glad I can bring some laughs to Monday morning MFP'ing..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    will someone just post the gif of a dumpster on fire, because that is where this thread is headed....and yes, I am the Nostradamus of MFP ...AKA MFPDamus...bow down the to the awesomeness of my skillz...!

Whatever man. I called this as a dumpster fire on my wall hours ago. I am the oracle up in here.

yes you are the MFP oracle..I am just a lowly seer...
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

A. What?

But Overweight is the right term. It's not an offensive term, it's an actual medical term to describe one who has a body fat percentage above what is considered healthy. It's factual, not insensitive or nasty.

Great go use it. But if you read what I wrote, people with major Body Issues and anxieties may need to use a word that feels kinder. BMI could tell you that you are obese are you going to coin that too? It doesn't feel nice. And when you already have problems loving yourself, using those terms hurts more. I am out, not sure you guys will ever understand.
  • Achrya
    Options

Oracle.jpg
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Do it for yourself, not some guy or girl. The bottom line is are you happy and healthy about your situation.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I'm off to grab some marshmallows, anyone want some?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Unless a woman gets really underweight, a truly, naturally "curvy" woman isn't going to lose them just because she loses some body fat.

I think a lot of people mistake obesity for "curvy".

I love a woman with true blue, hourglass curves. I don't think that however is synonymous with all the overweight and obese women who just say they're "curvy". Those are not the kind of curves I'd be afraid of my woman losing.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options

Agreed! That's because they are fat.

Although I do love a man with a nice *kitten*. :love:

Can I call my beer guy belly full figured or curvy? I don't see why not. If women get to use this term.
    I think its about time overweight men got to use it as well. It's really the same thing, no?

No, your beer belly is called the ab protector or at least that is one of my best guy friend always says.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Is curvy the same as voluptuous?
  • Achrya
    Options

A. What?

Great go use it. But if you read what I wrote, people with major Body Issues and anxieties may need to use a word that feels kinder. BMI could tell you that you are obese are you going to coin that too? It doesn't feel nice. And when you already have problems loving yourself, using those terms hurts more. I am out, not sure you guys will ever understand.

When I was obese I called myself obese, yes. I felt awful about myself, there were days when I just wanted to fade away and cease to exist...but I fail to see how using 'cute/kinder' terms would have changed anything. I would have still been 200+ pounds, but with a 'kind' term to refer to myself as?

Nonsense.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I have told a gf before that I'd support her anyway possible if she wanted to lose weight. But my own personal preferrence is curvy.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My husband tells me all the time that if my booty gets smaller that he will be disappointed, but I remind him that if I lose weight I will still have a nice round behind. Luckily, my genetics blessed me with a "bubble butt" hehe
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

And this is why the plus-sized section of the store is called the "women's section."

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe an obese person being called obese is just the wake-up call they need. Calling an obese person something that sounds "less harsh" is patronizing. Oh, and also, it's clear that you have no idea what struggles any of us have ever gone through. So just stop thinking we have less understanding of what overweight/obese feels like than you do.