curvy girls or men who like them

Options

Replies

• Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on the fact that the term "curvy" is often misused.
    I don't think "curvy" should even be a compliment since any girl can be beautiful, even without very prominent curves.
    Especially if you consider that, whatever curvy might mean, it's mostly used as a compliment only when a girl is somewhat thin or at least good looking.
    Same thing goes for the term "sexy".
    A girl can be sexy at any weight in my opinion.
    Sexy is sexy, curvy is curvy, and healthy is healthy, you don't have to be curvy or healthy to be sexy or whatever.

Soo...things should only be compliments if they're able to apply to everyone? Should things like 'Ripped' 'Athletic' and the like also no longer be compliments because people can be attractive without being those things?

Genuinely confused here.

I can't find this message anymore, anyway... I don't know what kind of connection there is between your comment and mine. I am not saying that "curvy" is not a compliment, it is always nice to give compliments.
    I am just saying that since I know what men refer to while saying they like "curvy girls", women should reassure themselves that they don't have to be curvy to be beautiful, or sexy, or anything else. Curvy is just a term like many others to me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I must be I thought you said this ?

Soo...things should only be compliments if they're able to apply to everyone? Should things like 'Ripped' 'Athletic' and the like also no longer be compliments because people can be attractive without being those things?

Genuinely confused here.

I must be replying to the wrong person, I wasnt being hostile either sorry you took it that way, I was more being snarky.

I said that, yes. You seem to have missed the context of what I was saying completely. Nothing about that statement implies that I think sugar coating is okay or that using the word curvy to describe someone who is overweight is okay; I was questioning someone else on their belief that certain terms shouldn't be used because they make other people feel bad.

You may want to work on your snark in the future.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Because everyone uses curvy as a euphemism for being overweight, right?

not everyone, but way too many people do use it that way, therefore taking away the actual meaning of curvy.

Mostly girls, by the way... at least concerning my personal experience.
    It often happens to me that, when I say I am fat, girls will answer me "noo, you're not fat, you're curvy".
    Which makes me giggle - I can calculate my BMI by myself, but yeah... I still appreciate the effort :tongue:

TIL BMI is a metric for curvy, instead of actual...you know. curves and bust/hip/waist ratios.

I know, I don't believe in the complete and absolute power of BMI as a fitness-indicator tool, I was referring to it just to make an example. Lets say I know about a few ways to decide whether I am curvy or "just" overweight.

I hear what you are saying. Maybe people do need to face that they are overweight not just curvy or whatever. But then there are many, many, many people like me, who have struggled with massive body image issues including eating disorders or whatever that prefer the term because, as if you don't get called fat by others enough, it helps calm the anxiety. Yes I know I am effin overweight, what do you rather I say? Cos to me some of you just sound *****y and rude, like you don't care about people's feelings.
    Where I come from, if you aren't brown, you are supposed to be thin, well I am not thin, so I coin the term curvy for that reason also. You can say it's overused but think about WHY people use the term, who cares how cliche it sounds if it helps people have peace with their bodies.

A. What?

B. When I was overweight I just called myself overweight.

C. I'm sorry if people wanting others to use the proper words to describe things upsets you so much.

It's not that people want to use the proper term for themselves its them imposing what they think is the right term on others. What didn't you understand with what I wrote? I am confused about "A". Call yourself overweight when you are overweight if you like, but for others its harder than that. Why do you insist on being insensitive? It's great that you haven't felt that kind of anxiety but don't be nasty about it!

But Overweight is the right term. It's not an offensive term, it's an actual medical term to describe one who has a body fat percentage above what is considered healthy. It's factual, not insensitive or nasty.

Great go use it. But if you read what I wrote, people with major Body Issues and anxieties may need to use a word that feels kinder. BMI could tell you that you are obese are you going to coin that too? It doesn't feel nice. And when you already have problems loving yourself, using those terms hurts more. I am out, not sure you guys will ever understand.

When I was obese I called myself obese, yes. I felt awful about myself, there were days when I just wanted to fade away and cease to exist...but I fail to see how using 'cute/kinder' terms would have changed anything. I would have still been 200+ pounds, but with a 'kind' term to refer to myself as?

Nonsense.

Yeah cos we all have the same personalities ay...go figure girl..Lets all be you!
    I am not trying to say you don't know what it's like, I am trying to say that you lack understanding that other's aren't like you. We all tick differently so get an EQ and stop messing with people...as I see you have done on other threads. Cool you were obese and lost weight good for you, I really mean that. But please realise, as I am trying to see your point of view and I do see it btw, I totally get it, see that some people are different.

We are all different, but words are words and they mean what they mean. Your feelings don't change what a word means. My ability to see things from your point of view doesn't change what words mean.

Overweight is overweight.

Obese is Obese.

You can be curvy and overweight and you can be curvy and obese but these words are not interchangeable and they aren't synonyms. Just because you want a kinder term than the actual medical term doesn't change things.

Ok, so question for you, because it seems you are fighting both sides here... are you for or against the term "curvy" being overused? Because earlier, it seemed you were saying it isn't. Yet, here, it almost seems as if you are saying it is....

I can be against a term being improperly without believing it's overused. Me being against the term being used improperly could in fact be seen as an attempt to keep it from being overused.

More to the point there is no fighting for both sides here; I've never said anything that even kind of implies I'm okay with curvy being used as another word for overweight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I must be I thought you said this ?

Genuinely confused here.

I must be replying to the wrong person, I wasnt being hostile either sorry you took it that way, I was more being snarky.

I said that, yes. You seem to have missed the context of what I was saying completely. Nothing about that statement implies that I think sugar coating is okay or that using the word curvy to describe someone who is overweight is okay; I was questioning someone else on their belief that certain terms shouldn't be used because they make other people feel bad.

You may want to work on your snark in the future.

Perhaps she just missed the sarcasm and thought you were saying that that was your stance.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Not sure if it's my lack of sleep/lack of adequate caffeine but this thread has gotten confusing.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Not sure if it's my lack of sleep/lack of adequate caffeine but this thread has gotten confusing.

I'm inclined to agree.

People are missing sarcasm/context, other people seem to be confusing two vastly separate points, and finally calling some women curvy is offensive to women who are't curvy because Reasons.

Detox threads are more easily understood.
  • Polygontus
    Polygontus Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm a teen measured at 32-23-33. I guess I would be somewhat proof that as you loose weight you don't lose your "curves". I don't think of myself as curvy, but as I look at other peoples measurements, mine are similar on a smaller scale ((I just don't have boobs lol)). My waist is tiny and my Gluteus Maximus is not small, but not big, in the middle.

Only comments I've gotten about my "curves" are from my close friends, usually making fun of me.
    One of which, I find hilarious, but requires a visual representation. Haha
    The main one I get from them is an astonished look as Richard wraps one arm around my waist and touches his own stomach. He can only do that at my waist though hahah
    The only comments I get are more so inside jokes that relate to swim.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Agreed. This is what happens when people lose an hour. :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I'm a teen measured at 32-23-33. I guess I would be somewhat proof that as you loose weight you don't lose your "curves". I don't think of myself as curvy, but as I look at other peoples measurements, mine are similar on a smaller scale ((I just don't have boobs lol)). My waist is tiny and my Gluteus Maximus is not small, but not big, in the middle.

Only comments I've gotten about my "curves" are from my close friends, usually making fun of me.
    The main one I get from them is an astonished look as Richard wraps one arm around my waist and touches his own stomach. He can only do that at my waist though hahah

If your ticker is correct and those are your measurements, I'd strongly recommend that you talk to someone. You're already tiny. You don't need to lose another 20 lbs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    trying to read this thread, is like trying to figure out a Chinese finger puzzle...wow...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Spoken like a true teen that's underweight with goals of being further underweight and surrounding themselves with MFP friends that have pro-ana usernames.
  • Achrya
    Options
    trying to read this thread, is like trying to figure out a Chinese finger puzzle...wow...

I'm trying to decide if I'm confused or if the people replying to me are confused.

Maybe a little of both at this point.

I haven't slept in two says so I could be typing unreadable gibberish for all I know.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

You're 5'10" and are aiming to be about 100 lbs? You have a profile picture highlighting being underweight???

:( Please talk to someone about the things listed in your profile: insecurity and poor self-image. You're on a very, very dangerous road that takes years to get off.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I have found that when girls gain certain amount of weight they then consider themselves curvy instead of overweight.. these are 2 completely different things.. curvy is your shape, you can be 120lbs and be curvy.. but if your 200lbs and short, your not curvy.. it all depends on where your weight is situated but I have seen girls call themselves curvy when in reality they were overweight. (just saying.. 2 cents)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I have found that when girls gain certain amount of weight they then consider themselves curvy instead of overweight.. these are 2 completely different things.. curvy is your shape, you can be 120lbs and be curvy.. but if your 200lbs and short, your not curvy.. it all depends on where your weight is situated but I have seen girls call themselves curvy when in reality they were overweight. (just saying.. 2 cents)

That. And, it happens way more than people want to believe.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Because everyone uses curvy as a euphemism for being overweight, right?

not everyone, but way too many people do use it that way, therefore taking away the actual meaning of curvy.

Mostly girls, by the way... at least concerning my personal experience.
    It often happens to me that, when I say I am fat, girls will answer me "noo, you're not fat, you're curvy".
    Which makes me giggle - I can calculate my BMI by myself, but yeah... I still appreciate the effort :tongue:

TIL BMI is a metric for curvy, instead of actual...you know. curves and bust/hip/waist ratios.

I know, I don't believe in the complete and absolute power of BMI as a fitness-indicator tool, I was referring to it just to make an example. Lets say I know about a few ways to decide whether I am curvy or "just" overweight.

I hear what you are saying. Maybe people do need to face that they are overweight not just curvy or whatever. But then there are many, many, many people like me, who have struggled with massive body image issues including eating disorders or whatever that prefer the term because, as if you don't get called fat by others enough, it helps calm the anxiety. Yes I know I am effin overweight, what do you rather I say? Cos to me some of you just sound *****y and rude, like you don't care about people's feelings.
    Where I come from, if you aren't brown, you are supposed to be thin, well I am not thin, so I coin the term curvy for that reason also. You can say it's overused but think about WHY people use the term, who cares how cliche it sounds if it helps people have peace with their bodies.

A. What?

B. When I was overweight I just called myself overweight.

C. I'm sorry if people wanting others to use the proper words to describe things upsets you so much.

It's not that people want to use the proper term for themselves its them imposing what they think is the right term on others. What didn't you understand with what I wrote? I am confused about "A". Call yourself overweight when you are overweight if you like, but for others its harder than that. Why do you insist on being insensitive? It's great that you haven't felt that kind of anxiety but don't be nasty about it!

But Overweight is the right term. It's not an offensive term, it's an actual medical term to describe one who has a body fat percentage above what is considered healthy. It's factual, not insensitive or nasty.

Great go use it. But if you read what I wrote, people with major Body Issues and anxieties may need to use a word that feels kinder. BMI could tell you that you are obese are you going to coin that too? It doesn't feel nice. And when you already have problems loving yourself, using those terms hurts more. I am out, not sure you guys will ever understand.

I think you should call yourself whatever makes you feel great. You just cannot expect everyone else to buy into your personal body image vocabulary.

Also, though I am a man, my years of obesity were devastating to me. Absolutely. But none of the "nice" euphemisms for being obese/fat sat well with me at all; not "big guy", "healthy", "teddy bear", "cuddly", "fluffy", "big boned", etc. I wasn't called all of those, but I abhor them none the less. Was coming to the realization that I was obese difficult? Yes, it's a very hard pill to swallow. But trying to dress up the problem with friendly nicknames just didn't sit well with me at all. It doesn't mean that I'm incapable of understanding why other people need to though.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I started at 40-36-50, am now 36-27-43 so you will still keep your body shape it just gets smaller. Which I know that many people have said already but it is the truth. My hips at my smallest as a teen were still 15" bigger then my waist, I still carry my weight that way.

Body type is body type you really can't change it.

As for me personally I prefer fit girls, when I go out with my husband I am a fan of people who look healthy. I like to see some muscle tone and typically those people feel better about themselves and it shows in thier personality too.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Totally! My college boyfriend kept telling me not to lose weight and he loved my curves, but when I dropped 30 lbs he couldn't get over how good I looked. Any real man will come around :-P
  • Achrya
    Options

That. And, it happens way more than people want to believe.

You know I admitted you were right like 3 pages ago. :indifferent: