• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Any real man will come around :-P
    :huh:
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Funny how men never get called 'Curvy' or 'Full Figured' etc.

I don't understand why women take it as a compliment.

If a woman says to me, 'oh don't lose weight, I really like fat guys' they would be out the door.

Agreed! That's because they are fat.

Although I do love a man with a nice *kitten*. :love:

Yeah I wish, my rock hard bubble butt is the only thing I have left from years of competitive sprinting and playing rugby as a forward. Doesn't matter how much I shrink every where else, it's still there, like a couple of hairy Alps......
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I have found that when girls gain certain amount of weight they then consider themselves curvy instead of overweight.. these are 2 completely different things.. curvy is your shape, you can be 120lbs and be curvy.. but if your 200lbs and short, your not curvy.. it all depends on where your weight is situated but I have seen girls call themselves curvy when in reality they were overweight. (just saying.. 2 cents)

That. And, it happens way more than people want to believe.

You know I admitted you were right like 3 pages ago. :indifferent:

A) I did not see that at all.
    B) I was responding to the guy I quoted. That was not about you. Just a general response.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I have found that when girls gain certain amount of weight they then consider themselves curvy instead of overweight.. these are 2 completely different things.. curvy is your shape, you can be 120lbs and be curvy.. but if your 200lbs and short, your not curvy.. it all depends on where your weight is situated but I have seen girls call themselves curvy when in reality they were overweight. (just saying.. 2 cents)

B) I was responding to the guy I quoted. That was not about you. Just a general response.

Clearly.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Any real man will come around :-P
    :huh:

Maybe I should clarify -- any guy who cares about you will come around to you wanting to be healthy instead of his definition of "curvy," if that's what you want! At least that was my experience. And I also agree with all the other posts, you'll still keep your proportions.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    like a couple of hairy Alps......

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
    Options

Clearly.

I'm sorry the world doesn't actually revolve around you. :flowerforyou:
  • Polygontus
    Polygontus Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on anything anymore without people judging me and telling me to "get help"...
    What the hell...
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Because everyone uses curvy as a euphemism for being overweight, right?

not everyone, but way too many people do use it that way, therefore taking away the actual meaning of curvy.

Mostly girls, by the way... at least concerning my personal experience.
    It often happens to me that, when I say I am fat, girls will answer me "noo, you're not fat, you're curvy".
    Which makes me giggle - I can calculate my BMI by myself, but yeah... I still appreciate the effort :tongue:

TIL BMI is a metric for curvy, instead of actual...you know. curves and bust/hip/waist ratios.

I know, I don't believe in the complete and absolute power of BMI as a fitness-indicator tool, I was referring to it just to make an example. Lets say I know about a few ways to decide whether I am curvy or "just" overweight.

I hear what you are saying. Maybe people do need to face that they are overweight not just curvy or whatever. But then there are many, many, many people like me, who have struggled with massive body image issues including eating disorders or whatever that prefer the term because, as if you don't get called fat by others enough, it helps calm the anxiety. Yes I know I am effin overweight, what do you rather I say? Cos to me some of you just sound *****y and rude, like you don't care about people's feelings.
    Where I come from, if you aren't brown, you are supposed to be thin, well I am not thin, so I coin the term curvy for that reason also. You can say it's overused but think about WHY people use the term, who cares how cliche it sounds if it helps people have peace with their bodies.

A. What?

B. When I was overweight I just called myself overweight.

C. I'm sorry if people wanting others to use the proper words to describe things upsets you so much.

It's not that people want to use the proper term for themselves its them imposing what they think is the right term on others. What didn't you understand with what I wrote? I am confused about "A". Call yourself overweight when you are overweight if you like, but for others its harder than that. Why do you insist on being insensitive? It's great that you haven't felt that kind of anxiety but don't be nasty about it!

But Overweight is the right term. It's not an offensive term, it's an actual medical term to describe one who has a body fat percentage above what is considered healthy. It's factual, not insensitive or nasty.

Great go use it. But if you read what I wrote, people with major Body Issues and anxieties may need to use a word that feels kinder. BMI could tell you that you are obese are you going to coin that too? It doesn't feel nice. And when you already have problems loving yourself, using those terms hurts more. I am out, not sure you guys will ever understand.

I've had major body issues, all kinds of crap relating to my weight and self esteem. Using the correct MEDICAL terminology for my weight helped me to face up to the reality of it and get it done. When you are 117 kilos and the doctor tells you you are "Clinically Obese" it can get you moving on sorting your life out pretty goddamn fast.
    I've never had a problem since that point using the correct medical terminology for my weight. At my current weight I am still "overweight" in medical terms. Just means I have a bit more weight to lose.

The terms are not hurtful, they are not meant as such.
    Options
    I can't comment on anything anymore without people judging me and telling me to "get help"...
    What the hell...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most people are probably genuinely concerned for your health and well being and actually want you to get some help.
  • Achrya
    Options

Clearly.

I'm sorry the world doesn't actually revolve around you. :flowerforyou:

The clearly was in reference to your first point. I didn't think the second called for a response; I mean what am I going to do, argue with you about the intent behind your own words? That would be silly.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    What the hell...

People judge. It's how the real world works, but I guess you're not supposed to do it on the internet.

Okay, after some deductive reasoning, I've decided to make an inference based on your statements, profile information, and FL. You should really get some help. Sound better?
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a guy equivalent of curvy so I could at least feel better about myself for the next 45lbs or so.
  • Achrya
    Options
    I wish there was a guy equivalent of curvy so I could at least feel better about myself for the next 45lbs or so.

Husky
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What the hell...

Because you advertise it, and some of us here are in recovery. It is extremely triggering to be in a place in recovery and see something so hugely unhealthy as someone purposely aiming for a very low BMI.

This whole thread seems derailed enough as it is, but seriously: you talk about having issues with insecurity and low self-esteem on your profile and in multiple past posts, highlight your underweight BMI with a chart in a profile picture, and aim to go even lower. You will be told to get help from anyone who has a pulse and a grain of empathy, particularly on a fitness sight, where people aim for health.

Plus, many of us speak from experience. I regret every day what I did to my body, because now it doesn't do what it should do. If I could turn back time, I would in a heart beat. Since I can't, I can at least help others by sharing my story and by advocating professional help.

Find it. If it doesn't work, look further; if you don't like how a hairdresser cuts your hair, you find a new one. The same can apply to doctors and counselors. Form a team: therapist, psychiatrist (who could prescribe meds, if a chemical imbalance is contributing to such feelings), nutritionist., etc. If it's difficult to find all of those things at once, or is too overwhelming, at least continually look for a counselor that works well with you. Even when the healthy weight comes back, the disorder will always have to be managed.

Good luck.

ETA: Who's judging you? Perhaps inferring that you have disordered eating and mindset from your own admissions? But no one's sitting her thinking negatively of you; telling someone to get help seems pretty positive, as ignoring someone going down a path of destruction seems a bit crueler.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    dumpster-fire_medium.jpg
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Husky

Hmmm, not positive enough. It's what you call your 10 year old nephew so his parents don't think you're calling him fat.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    dumpster-fire_medium.jpg

So much this.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have not had someone in real life compliment my curves. Quite the opposite actually. I am 42 34 43 I have got stopped on the street to be told to lose weight. I have had people tell me I am fat. But not really had that my curves are beautiful. Only on here. LOL So I am interested in what the men have to say.

For the record also, I used to wear a bikini on the beach when I was 20kg heavier, and had strangers hit me and tell me to put it away. I will never wear a bikini again. Words hurt!

Wow! That's bad!

I have also been told by people to lose weight, well strangers, to lose weight. I often got the oh you're so pretty, you should lose weight! .... One time I have been told to dress in an other way because my clothes really didn't suit me... A perfect stranger in a corner store who told me that in front of everyone! :sad: I think i was 19 then, and I was so shy I just said huh ok thx... I wish it was today, because i think I would have replied something much better.... Anyway I have put out the bikini a long time ago so no risks of insults there.

But I think what is the most important is to learn to love ourself no matter what strangers with no manners can tell us!
  • Achrya
    Options
    dumpster-fire_medium.jpg

So much this.

I called it like five hours ago. I know a dumpster fire when I see one.

If we could just get some clean eating nonsense in here we'll have covered just about everything.