LADIES: Do you workout on your period?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not on the worst day. On most days I work out as normal, maybe taking it a bit easier.

Of course it depends on you and how heavy/difficult yours are, but I'm disappointed to see some people acting like it couldn't have an affect on working out and saying it's a bad excuse to be lazy - sometimes I've tried on the worst day and felt like I was going to faint. Everyone, please be aware that periods vary a lot from woman to woman, from month to month, and even at different times in your life. We take enough talk from men about being lazy or whiny and using it as an excuse for things without having it from other women too.

Having said that, light exercise can alleviate some of the pain.

Yes! This is SO well-put, thank you. I agree that we as women should not be judging other women for whether or not they're out running marathons on their periods.

I do not have heavy or terrible periods thank goodness - but I do have ridiculous cramps for maybe like 4 hours per month. And I am certainly not going to do hardcore exercise during that morning or afternoon, sorry.

Honestly...I try to put myself in others' shoes and consider that they may have those crazy cramps all day, every day for several days each month...OF COURSE they're not going to feel like exercising.

Also, I think MOST of us as women have had at least a couple of truly rough periods over the years. In fact my last gyno said that it's a really good thing to have a heavier than normal one here and there especially if like me, you're not planning to have kids. Reduces the risk of needing a DNC or something like that by middle age. ANYWAY...think of that one heavy period you may have had. Imagine having that every single month. Not fun, ladies!!

Last thing I've gotta say is tonight I logged housework as exercise and do not feel ONE bit sheepish about logging those 70 minutes spent scrubbing bath tubs and toilets, vacuuming every cranny, mopping, sweeping, dusting (baseboards too) and carrying some heavy stuff. Not one bit. I'm set to sedentary and no, I don't log my trips back and forth across the office during my work day but you better believe I'll log the kind of housework that gets my heart rate up.
  • chahiro
    chahiro Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Only if I feel like it. Some people are saying that having your period is not an excuse to not work out but I say to each their own. I've worked out plenty of times while I was on my period and I've also skipped days because I was having period pains or I just wanted to lay in bed.. Who cares? As long as you don't quite all together do what you feel comfortable with.
  • what_lola_wants
    what_lola_wants Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    oh_hell_no.gif

bcuz

Amypoehler.gif
  • chahiro
    chahiro Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    oh_hell_no.gif

bcuz

Amypoehler.gif

I'm dying. xD
  • atinystorminyourteacup
    Options
    I used to not work out on my period, because my cramps and flow were so awful that I couldn't imagine doing it. Granted, my period used to also be really irregular... yay youth and being overweight!

... Then I fell in love with exercise, lost roughly 35-40 pounds (another MFP account/pre-MFP), and now here I am today. I exercise every period. Even if I'm feeling gross and awful, I always exercise unless I physically cannot. I recently picked up running consistently and I find that it actually helps with the pain and bloating a lot. :) So... my periods are now less painful.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    . I love working out but for those few days, I'm not in the mood and I just feel like a dying slug hahaha.

Any thoughts?? I usually go on long walks during my those days but thats about it...

Yeah same here. I usually slack off for a few days.
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'll give it a try as often as I usually do, which is not as often as I should but still every few days. I only get bad cramps during the first day of my period, but when I do sometimes it's enough that I have to stop.

And no matter how many times people say that exercise helps with it, it never seems to for me. If anything, it's made me get the bad cramps more regularly than before.
  • ashleysarvi
    Options
    i still workout, if cramps are bad i take a couple Ibuprofen BUT i have read (and felt it) working out on your period can help the pain
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I find it actually helps makes them less painful and go quicker :) x
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I find it bizarre that some people don't. I wonder whether they also skip work and social events when they have their periods.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I do too, no problem

Like Man-Flu I do believe that Man-Periods are worse, so well done you!!!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    When I was having a lot of health troubles and my periods sent me to the ER with some regularity, no. However, I'm past all that and my periods are normal..so, yeah, it's not an issue.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes. And working out will help with the cramps.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I agree that working out will help with cramps. I love making sure I do some yoga and pilates too for relief.
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yes I still work out. Sometimes it takes me a little longer to get in a rhythm or motivated but I don't use it as an excuse not to get out there. Of course I don't have super crampy or heavy periods for the most part just once in a blue moon and then I'll take Ibuprofen before I start.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yes I do ..cardio on first day of TOTM not weights though ...it helps with the cramps. The rest of TOTM is work out as normal
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes, just because you are bleeding doesnt mean you cant do anything!!

It also relieves many symptoms.

You burn more calories as well as you run hotter.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I find it bizarre that some people don't. I wonder whether they also skip work and social events when they have their periods.

Yes, some women do actually. I used to have debilitating cramps. I'd bleed until I was anemic. Thank God my mother understood when I was a teen and my husband understood after we got married. These threads always bring out the few women who just can't believe some women can't carry on with life as normal for a few days during the month. But it's the truth. No one is making excuses. Maybe instead of saying thoughtless things, you lucky women can just be grateful that you don't have extreme periods.

My gyno also understood about my problems and did an ablation on me. I now can do what I want while on my period. But you can bet that will never include putting other women down for having a few less productive days while on their period.
  • TessMacc
    TessMacc Posts: 31
    Options
    "Yes, and I find it bizarre that some people don't. I wonder whether they also skip work and social events when they have their periods."

Yes, I have been known to skip social events that I'd really been looking forward to. I've also left work a couple of times and I make no apology for either. Would you expect someone who suffered from migraines to stay at work while having one? It's a similar comparison to someone who gets mild headaches saying to a migraine sufferer "just take a painkiller and get on with it".

At the weekend, I was teaching a 20 hour training course for people who'd all paid almost £200 each, and one woman had to leave halfway through Sunday because of her period. Do you think she would waste that much of her money and time, after putting in 15 hours of effort, unless she was in serious pain? She's now going to have to retake the whole course another weekend or, if she can't get someone to take care of her children again, will just wave goodbye to the money. It's not a case of "I don't feel like it"
  • ZeldaMarooner7
    Options
    I avoid it, I'm currently on it now. I haven't exercised in a while, just doing general walking and cleaning around the house is the most I do anyway. X3