Ketosis/High Fat Diet

Options
Anyone had any success with a Ketogenic diet? I am thinking about trying it and want to have a few friends on here that have done it. I'd really like to see a few diaries where people made the macros work.

Add me or let me know how it went for you!

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    its not sustainable
    carbs aren't evil
    unless you have a medical reason for eating high carb low fat don't do it
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    its not sustainable
    carbs aren't evil

I don't think carbs are evil but I'm having a difficult time dropping the last 10 pounds and wanted to mix it up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in....because these threads never fail to entertain ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - what are your goals, and why are you interested in this?
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    its not sustainable
    carbs aren't evil

LMAO. OK.

OP what are your goals?
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    its not sustainable
    carbs aren't evil

Ignorant comment at best.

Been doing Keto since January. It has been the easiest diet to stick with. There are plenty of alternatives to regular carb type foods we are used to so I don't even miss bread, etc. Its perfectly sustainable as your body adapts to ketosis. And best of all, I've never felt better while watching the scale drop as well as the inches. I never have uncontrollable cravings for junk food causing me to binge, and I feel fuller longer instead of starving through half the day on any other diet. Oh and no more afternoon crashes. For me it will easily be a log term thing as opposed to a fad diet.

First week or 2 sucks, then you adapt and it feels great.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    What concentrated or high fat foods do you still include in your diet? Oil, sugar, flour and animal products, even in smaller quantities, will keep you fat.
  • smc864
    Options

My goal is to get down to about 18-20% BF and that equates to about 10 more pounds to lose. I have been having severe hunger and cravings the leaner I get. I've recently started having binges in the late evenings. I've read about Ketogenic diets having a satiating effect... and now I'm just curious.

I was tempted to read Lyle McDonald's book on it but I don't feel like throwing away $45 :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    its not sustainable
    carbs aren't evil

I don't think carbs are evil but I'm having a difficult time dropping the last 10 pounds and wanted to mix it up.

low carb has nothing to do with last ten pounds..

Are you doing MFP method, TDEE method right now?

When is last time you adjusted your calories?

Do you own a food scale?
    Options
    What concentrated or high fat foods do you still include in your diet? Oil, sugar, flour and animal products, even in smaller quantities, will keep you fat.

WTH? What animal products and oils are you talking about.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

LOL irl
  • heatherdawn007
    Options
    Been doing it since January as well to drop body fat. I haven't lost tons of weight, but have dropped to 12.9% body fat. I am doing it under the guidance of a competition coach (he's been coaching for 20+ years), and it is definitely doable. Monday and Tuesday are low carb days for me, Wednesday through Friday are medium, and Saturday and Sunday are higher. There have been some bad days and my diary is definitely not perfect, but feel free to look at it to see how I make food fit. I have tried to include my favorite foods and things I enjoy so I don't feel deprived.
    Options

My goal is to get down to about 18-20% BF and that equates to about 10 more pounds to lose. I have been having severe hunger and cravings the leaner I get. I've recently started having binges in the late evenings. I've read about Ketogenic diets having a satiating effect... and now I'm just curious.

I was tempted to read Lyle McDonald's book on it but I don't feel like throwing away $45 :laugh:

It works for me because it fits my lifestyle, which is traveling 4 days a week. I never had weight problem until 2-3 years ago when I was always hungry even after eating ton of food. I adjusted the diet to eliminate starchy food and added sugars. No more insulin spikes which keeps me satiated. Do your own research, talk to your Dr to see if you have developed insulin resistance or Metabolic syndrome.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    I've recently started having binges in the late evenings. I've read about Ketogenic diets having a satiating effect... and now I'm just curious.

Yep, its true. Since going Keto in January, I never have times where I am uncontrollably starving. Kinda hungry? Sure. Starving to the point that I want to eat all the things? No. Never.
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ya I do an 'eco' keto diet a few times a year for exactly the reason you said, just to mix it up a bit. Eco keto just means that I'm veg so I don't eat meat. It's harder and I definitely miss the variety of fruits and vegetables that I regularly eat, but after the initial few days of getting into it, I typically feel really great!

The suggestions that I have are: if you feel low on energy up your calories a little bit. Drink PLENTY of water. Buy some keto strips from the drugstore or walmart and check your urine. Sometimes it seems like I am eating low carb enough but I really am not. And finally ease back into a normal diet slowly. Don't do what I did and go nuts and eat a plate of cheese enchiladas after several weeks of no carb.

Listen to your body and do what feels best. It's an abnormal way to eat so make sure you're being sweet to yourself.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

One of the biggest advantages to a low/lower carb diet is the foods you eat tend to be more satiating, making it easier to be happy while achieving a caloric deficit and which may be helpful given what you're describing. You may not need to go all the way to a ketogenic diet to achieve this though and perhaps just lowering your carb macro a bit would do the trick. One final point is that if you do go this route, keep in mind you'll want to cut more than the 10 pounds you want to lose because some of the initial water will be water weight.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I just checked your diary..I see al ot of "quick added calories" and cup, tablespoon measures etc..

If you want to lose last ten pounds you are going to need to tighten up your eating and start logging EVERYTHING that you eat and accounting for it.

I would also suggest that you get a food scale and weight out all your portions...

whether you do Keto, low carb, high carb, whatever..if you are not consistent and accurate with your logging then it will not work ..

Keto, low carb, etc are not some magical fat burning solution ..at the end of the day they are just tools to create a calorie deficit and if you are not accurately logging then they will not work ..

I would suggest tightening up logging first...
  • smc864
    Options
    its not sustainable
    carbs aren't evil

Do you own a food scale?

I weigh everything that goes into my mouth. Drinks, food, everything.

I do TDEE method.

For a the last couple months (Jan-Feb) I was eating 1400-1600/day and not really losing much. I recently dropped it back to 1200 because I lost the majority of my weight eating 1200 calories. Please spare me the 1200 calorie lecture... I wasn't losing at 1400.

If you happen to look through my diary this past week is the worst I've ever done. I have been binging and did quick add calories to account for them because I had no idea. I have started over today.

I know how to successfully lose weight. I've lost around 60 pounds. I am just so hungry lately, even if I up my calories to 1700-1800. I feel like no matter how much I eat I feel hungry all the time. That's why I wanted to look into ketosis... to see if it would help with hunger/cravings.
  • smc864
    Options
    I just checked your diary..I see al ot of "quick added calories" and cup, tablespoon measures etc..

If you want to lose last ten pounds you are going to need to tighten up your eating and start logging EVERYTHING that you eat and accounting for it.

I would also suggest that you get a food scale and weight out all your portions...

whether you do Keto, low carb, high carb, whatever..if you are not consistent and accurate with your logging then it will not work ..

Keto, low carb, etc are not some magical fat burning solution ..at the end of the day they are just tools to create a calorie deficit and if you are not accurately logging then they will not work ..

I would suggest tightening up logging first...

This week is literally the first time since October 1st that I've ever used quick add calories. My logging is usually 100% accurate and I DO WEIGH EVERYTHING. Take a look before my week of binging. That is more representative of how I usually log.

I don't use measuring cups.
    Options
    its not sustainable
    carbs aren't evil

Do you own a food scale?

I weigh everything that goes into my mouth. Drinks, food, everything.

I do TDEE method.

For a the last couple months (Jan-Feb) I was eating 1400-1600/day and not really losing much. I recently dropped it back to 1200 because I lost the majority of my weight eating 1200 calories. Please spare me the 1200 calorie lecture... I wasn't losing at 1400.

If you happen to look through my diary this past week is the worst I've ever done. I have been binging and did quick add calories to account for them because I had no idea. I have started over today.

I know how to successfully lose weight. I've lost around 60 pounds. I am just so hungry lately, even if I up my calories to 1700-1800. I feel like no matter how much I eat I feel hungry all the time. That's why I wanted to look into ketosis... to see if it would help with hunger/cravings.

Try Keto, it might help. I was in the same boat as yours, always hungry. Now I am rarely hungry nor eat a snack. You don't have much to lose if you don't like it after a month.