Wow from post number 1.

0020se3g
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    its not sustainable
    carbs aren't evil
    unless you have a medical reason for eating high carb low fat don't do it

I don't think carbs are evil but I'm having a difficult time dropping the last 10 pounds and wanted to mix it up.

low carb has nothing to do with last ten pounds..

Are you doing MFP method, TDEE method right now?

When is last time you adjusted your calories?

Do you own a food scale?

I weigh everything that goes into my mouth. Drinks, food, everything.

I do TDEE method.

For a the last couple months (Jan-Feb) I was eating 1400-1600/day and not really losing much. I recently dropped it back to 1200 because I lost the majority of my weight eating 1200 calories. Please spare me the 1200 calorie lecture... I wasn't losing at 1400.

If you happen to look through my diary this past week is the worst I've ever done. I have been binging and did quick add calories to account for them because I had no idea. I have started over today.

I know how to successfully lose weight. I've lost around 60 pounds. I am just so hungry lately, even if I up my calories to 1700-1800. I feel like no matter how much I eat I feel hungry all the time. That's why I wanted to look into ketosis... to see if it would help with hunger/cravings.

But what are you going to do after you lose the weight and go back to eating with different macros? Or are you going to stay in ketosis?

Personally I would never do it but it's your choice, I just know that when you add carbs back in you will likely gain some weight back and want to make sure you realize that.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've had success on it. Slow and steady, but success. 26lbs since August.

Contrary to popular belief, it is sustainable. Some people can't deal with not eating lots of bread and other carb heavy foods, and if that's you, then you probably won't like it. For me, I'm a carnivore who also enjoys fresh vegetables so it works well for my eating style.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    its not sustainable
    carbs aren't evil

I don't think carbs are evil but I'm having a difficult time dropping the last 10 pounds and wanted to mix it up.

Do you own a food scale?

I do TDEE method.

For a the last couple months (Jan-Feb) I was eating 1400-1600/day and not really losing much. I recently dropped it back to 1200 because I lost the majority of my weight eating 1200 calories. Please spare me the 1200 calorie lecture... I wasn't losing at 1400.

If you happen to look through my diary this past week is the worst I've ever done. I have been binging and did quick add calories to account for them because I had no idea. I have started over today.

I know how to successfully lose weight. I've lost around 60 pounds. I am just so hungry lately, even if I up my calories to 1700-1800. I feel like no matter how much I eat I feel hungry all the time. That's why I wanted to look into ketosis... to see if it would help with hunger/cravings.

But what are you going to do after you lose the weight and go back to eating with different macros? Or are you going to stay in ketosis?

Personally I would never do it but it's your choice, I just know that when you add carbs back in you will likely gain some weight back and want to make sure you realize that.

What will you do when you hit your goal? If you go back to eating like you used to, you'll gain weight back as well. Like any maintenance plan, you'll still need to watch what your caloric intake is vs what you use. These issues are not exclusive to a low carb plan. Any plan, once you reach your goal weight, is still going to require thought and planning on what you eat. I don't know why people think that as soon as you go off a low carb plan you blow up to your old weight. Of course you will if you go back to eating 3000 calories a day and sitting on the couch, that's what got us there in the 1st place.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    its not sustainable
    carbs aren't evil

Do you own a food scale?

I do TDEE method.

Same reason lot of folks who gain back weight, Vegans, low carb, high carb or what ever. You go back to same habits, you will be back to where you started.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are having "hunger issues" at 1200 a day then I would assume that you would still have said hunger issues on keto, low carb, etc....
    Options
    if you are having "hunger issues" at 1200 a day then I would assume that you would still have said hunger issues on keto, low carb, etc....

Not true at all. I had it before, now I don't. Heck I am not even hungry for a breakfast.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    its not sustainable
    carbs aren't evil

Do you own a food scale?

I do TDEE method.

What will you do when you hit your goal? If you go back to eating like you used to, you'll gain weight back as well. Like any maintenance plan, you'll still need to watch what your caloric intake is vs what you use. These issues are not exclusive to a low carb plan. Any plan, once you reach your goal weight, is still going to require thought and planning on what you eat. I don't know why people think that as soon as you go off a low carb plan you blow up to your old weight. Of course you will if you go back to eating 3000 calories a day and sitting on the couch, that's what got us there in the 1st place.

Actually I'm making sustainable lifestyle changes and don't have time to go back to sitting on the couch. I was just posting the question in case the OP hadn't thought about it. I adjust my calories as I need to, use my TDEE and eat using 40/30/30 macros. I'm also very careful with my diary and exercise tracking. I will always do that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just checked your diary..I see al ot of "quick added calories" and cup, tablespoon measures etc..

If you want to lose last ten pounds you are going to need to tighten up your eating and start logging EVERYTHING that you eat and accounting for it.

I would also suggest that you get a food scale and weight out all your portions...

whether you do Keto, low carb, high carb, whatever..if you are not consistent and accurate with your logging then it will not work ..

Keto, low carb, etc are not some magical fat burning solution ..at the end of the day they are just tools to create a calorie deficit and if you are not accurately logging then they will not work ..

I would suggest tightening up logging first...

This week is literally the first time since October 1st that I've ever used quick add calories. My logging is usually 100% accurate and I DO WEIGH EVERYTHING. Take a look before my week of binging. That is more representative of how I usually log.

I don't use measuring cups.

Quick adds maybe I went back into February and January and saw the following:

Days not logged
    Days that were double your goal over 3500 calories at least 2x and I just picked random days
    Things not weighed but measured with spoons...ie almond butter
    A lot of cracker barrel stuff that isn't weighed...biscuits, chicken, brocolli etc
    8 egg whites @ 128 calories it's actually more than that...136 per actual counts per USDA and chicken breast 112g @ 150 calories? 145g has 250cal so 112g has 193 calories...
    quick adds in January

and you have gone from 1200 to 1400 to 1600 and back and forth...in less than 2.5months.

Accurate logging isn't just about weighing 90% of the time and logging everything you can choose entries that are wrong...

as mentioned instead of trying a new type of eating tighten up your logging...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

So when you were low carb are you saying you were still hungry all the time?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I just checked your diary..I see al ot of "quick added calories" and cup, tablespoon measures etc..

If you want to lose last ten pounds you are going to need to tighten up your eating and start logging EVERYTHING that you eat and accounting for it.

I would also suggest that you get a food scale and weight out all your portions...

whether you do Keto, low carb, high carb, whatever..if you are not consistent and accurate with your logging then it will not work ..

Keto, low carb, etc are not some magical fat burning solution ..at the end of the day they are just tools to create a calorie deficit and if you are not accurately logging then they will not work ..

This week is literally the first time since October 1st that I've ever used quick add calories. My logging is usually 100% accurate and I DO WEIGH EVERYTHING. Take a look before my week of binging. That is more representative of how I usually log.

Days not logged
    Days that were double your goal over 3500 calories at least 2x and I just picked random days
    A lot of cracker barrel stuff that isn't weighed...biscuits, chicken, brocolli etc
    8 egg whites @ 128 calories it's actually more than that...136 per actual counts per USDA and chicken breast 112g @ 150 calories? 145g has 250cal so 112g has 193 calories...
    quick adds in January

and you have gone from 1200 to 1400 to 1600 and back and forth...in less than 2.5months.

Accurate logging isn't just about weighing 90% of the time and logging everything you can choose entries that are wrong...

I went back to February and noticed the same thing...
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Days not logged
    quick adds in January

Do you not understand that if you know how much 1 tablespoon weighs that it's ok to log in tablespoons. MY GOD! One tablespoon of almond butter is 16g. Therefore if I weigh 16g of almond butter and log 1 tablespoon it is the SAME. I would think that someone that has been here that long would understand such a basic idea.

Thank you for all your tips but if you look at the TITLE OF THE POST I was curious about ketogenic diets because of cravings I have been having.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Please note I said "I assume"

never done low carb and have no use for it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Days not logged
    quick adds in January

Do you not understand that if you know how much 1 tablespoon weighs that it's ok to log in tablespoons. MY GOD! One tablespoon of almond butter is 16g. Therefore if I weigh 16g of almond butter and log 1 tablespoon it is the SAME. I would think that someone that has been here that long would understand such a basic idea.

Thank you for all your tips but if you look at the TITLE OF THE POST I was curious about ketogenic diets because of cravings I have been having.

actually it is different..when I take a tablespoon of peanut butter and weigh it, it never matches up to what one serving in grams is...

All we are suggesting is that before you change your whole program, maybe you should look at your logging habits and tighten that up, which will lead to losing those last ten pounds..

You don't have to get all bent out of shape about it..
    Options

Please note I said "I assume"

never done low carb and have no use for it.

Then don't assume and post something not true.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

That's a big maybe. Ask around and I think you'll find most people stay extremely satiated on low carb diets, with some eating more aggressive of a caloric deficit than I would be comfortable with (and I stay at a pretty aggressive deficit myself). Probably the biggest advantage to this type of diet is how satiated you feel. If the OP is going hungry, reducing carb intake in favor of fats and protein may be quite helpful in the end.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I didn't ask you or anyone else to look through my diary and scrutinize what I'm doing... I asked to see examples of ketogenic meal plans. I frequently see the two of you doing the same thing to other posts so at least I know I'm not the only one.
    Options
    I didn't ask you or anyone else to look through my diary and scrutinize what I'm doing... I asked to see examples of ketogenic meal plans. I frequently see the two of you doing the same thing to other posts so at least I know I'm not the only one.

I wish people who have no clue nor use for certain things, just kept quiet instead of trolling.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Days not logged
    quick adds in January

Yah I get that sometimes things in servings are the same as the weight...

But if that is the only thing to address and get mad over it...wow

You aren't logging everyday...you are going over on days significantly....you are using quick adds....you are using wrong entries...ie the chicken one.

You asked about being hungry and losing the last 6lbs because you just can't seem to and wondered if Keto would help...Yup I read that too...

But hey if you want to switch up to Keto go ahead but your lack of attention to your logging and bouncing calories and going down as low as 1200 is what is causing your weight loss to slow and your cravings...

See that's what i understand tight logging = losing last 10lbs by Summer...see my ticker...

ETA:
    N/M shakes head
  • ndj1979
    Options

I wish people who have no clue nor use for certain things, just kept quiet instead of trolling.

so it is trolling to tell someone that they are not logging accurately and that is why they are not meeting their goals...really???

If OP switches to Keto and keeps logging inaccurately then it is not going to work, no matter what program she does..

get over yourself...