Ketosis/High Fat Diet

Options
15678911»

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Well if that's what you were trying to say... Like I said a few words were missing from your original post because thats not what you said at all...

But yes please keep telling me how I'm wrong for what I've viewed first hand because that is my favorite... Except I won't know you are because I am blocking you. Continue spreading your sunshine somewhere else other than to me.

I'm sure you aren't wrong that people are rude to you. I'm sure from my own first hand experiences that you are wrong that people aren't rude to vegetarians.

It will be hard to carry on without your sunshine. I will persevere.

It's better that you block me if a missing word can get rid of the meaning of something for you. I promise it will happen again.

Edit: Or an extra word. I'm knocking the typing out of the park tonight. :laugh:
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    When they lose weight some of those low carbers may be able to increase their carbs, improve their insulin sensitivity. May not need to be a low carber for life.

Improve their insulin sensitivity?

Please explain how that works.
    The primary cause of insulin-resistance in obese people with Type II diabetes or Metabolic syndrome is visceral bodyfat. It's been scientifically documented for decades now that decrease in visceral bodyfat - the fat in/around the internal organs - improves insulin-sensitivity, whereas decreases in subcutaneous bodyfat do not show the same significant trend.

Many people that lose weight to healthy levels are able to improve insulin-sensitivity to a point where they have excellent glycemic control without insulin.

Unfortunately those that have lost function with pancreatic beta-cells don't regain the same sensitivity, and some need to stay low-carb (even if they've had successful weight loss and continue with regular exercise).

That's my situation - my pancreas secretes virtually no insulin. My insulin-sensitivity, however, is excellent - I just don't produce it.

Luckily people like me are the exception and the vast majority of people that: 1) catch it in time; 2) reach a healthy weight, and; 3) continue to exercise regularly can completely reverse their symptoms - mostly because of the improvement in insulin-sensitivity.

FYI -It's a complete fallacy that type II diabetes is always degenerative. It doesn't have to be. It's only degenerative if you fail to control it. Unfortunately 90% of diabetics fail - and the reason they fail is they follow a diet that's simply too high in carbohydrate. The dietary advice given by most dieticians, the ADA/CDA (American and Canadian Diabetes Associations) is simply bad advice (it's more politically-motivated than health-motivated), and will keep most diabetics on medications for the rest of their lives.

The best advice anyone with diabetes, pre-diabetes and/or metabolic syndrome can get is to educate themselves over at BloodSugar101 - http://www.bloodsugar101.com
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Your post wasn't clear "increasing carbs, increasing insulin sensitivity"
    I think what susie is saying is that AFTER the loss of the visceral fat they may be able to increase carbohydrate intake BECAUSE of increased insulin sensitivity (as a result of the visceral body fat loss).

At least I hope so, because increasing carbohydrate doesn't increase insulin sensitivity :)

In my case, I spent almost a full year under 30g of carbohydrate. Now I eat anywhere from 30 to 120 depending on the day, and have absolutely excellent insulin-sensitivity and glycemic control.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Your post wasn't clear "increasing carbs, increasing insulin sensitivity"
    I think what susie is saying is that AFTER the loss of the visceral fat they may be able to increase carbohydrate intake BECAUSE of increased insulin sensitivity (as a result of the visceral body fat loss).

At least I hope so, because increasing carbohydrate doesn't increase insulin sensitivity :)

In my case, I spent almost a full year under 30g of carbohydrate. Now I eat anywhere from 30 to 120 depending on the day, and have absolutely excellent insulin-sensitivity and glycemic control.

that's what I meant
  • elivanderslice171
    Options
    Ketosis is the lack of glucose. I eat a lot of protein and it has no bearing on my ketosis levels.

I will warn folks that the first month eating this way, that you DO count calories because you can very easily gain a lot of weight until your body gets adapted. You can also lose muscle while gaining weight in the beginning because protein stores can be converted to glucose. After about a month, your body will get more efficient at burning fat. I incorporate two cheat meals, Friday and Saturday dinner, usually Pizza or Mexican Food, or burgers and fries - whatever I want to eat.

Why not eat healthy for life? Keto is the way to do that and it's a fantastic way of livin!
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    ... You can also lose muscle while gaining weight in the beginning because protein stores can be converted to glucose.
    Unless you're starving yourself this should never happen. Ketosis in general is muscle-sparing. As is dietary protein.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Is bad breath really a reason to abandon a lifestyle? ... Brush your teeth and invest in some mouthwash.....

Let me see.... Bad breath or dying because I am 150 pounds overweight with a list a mile long of medical conditions some of which can be controlled with low carb.... Um, think ill ill just stock up on the Colgate....Colgate is much cheaper than a coffin.

Haha! Lol. You can still lose weight eating all the foods though. Just in moderation.

Low carb isn't the only option. People tend to not stick with it long term. It's better to eat how you're going to eat for the rest of your life, just at a slight deficit.

For my medical condition I have to do low carb.... But for the one I commented on that tried it and stopped because it caused bad breath I would suggest something else ;) but I figured I do low carb and don't have bad breath so maybe it was a hygiene issue.

Well then you're a rare low carber then. I'm only echoing what I've read over and over in forums I used to belong to when I low carbed, it's quite common, and keto breath is sooooo weird.

I'm sorry you have a medical condition that prevents you eating carbs. That's not easy to live with. But you've done well so far and if it works for you over a lifetime then go for it. I did about 7 years of it all and all. I could never go back because I can't adhere to it for more than a year or so before the cravings get out of hand.

Something like 10% of women in the US have a condition that would benefit from low carb, that's hardly rare. Uncommon, not rare. It's perfectly easy to live with low carb if you can eat ribeyes. It makes no sense when people say that it's hard because it's not unless you're a marathon runner.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Something like 10% of women in the US have a condition that would benefit from low carb, that's hardly rare. Uncommon, not rare. It's perfectly easy to live with low carb if you can eat ribeyes. It makes no sense when people say that it's hard because it's not unless you're a marathon runner.
    Actually, unless at a world-class / elite level, you can eat low-carb and marathon quite easily - without having to suck back sugary drinks, gels, bars, etc. while you do it.

That's the beauty of keto-adaptation.

For the world-class athlete it's a different situation - they're pushing a performance threshold that requires an almost anaerobic effort - as such it's unlikely they can generate enough ATP for cellular respiration while keto-adapted and low-carb.

For the 99.999% of the rest of us, marathons on low-carb are quite do-able.