40lbs v Sugar!!

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

We obviously have different ideas on what the word recommend is - My interpretation is that it is advise as apposed to an order or instruction - what's yours?
    No disagreement on the definition. It's a silly recommendation with no good basis in research or knowledge.
    Well then don't do it, your an adult and have freedom of choice!

You are making recommendations to others that have no basis in research or knowledge. I don't post in threads like this for my benefit, I do it for people reading these threads to try and get them to think critically and avoid falling for silly recommendations made by people who have no business giving advice.

What would be the harm of someone cutting back on sugar for a month? If a 100 people did it and at the end of that month 99% went back to eating how they did before and the 1% found a health benefit (please, I know you are not naïve enough to think some people do not have issues with sugar that cutting it back wouldn't help) I think for that 1% the 30 day trial would be worth it.

I think a sillier recommendation would be to not try different things - if you've never tried cutting back sugar on your diet where is your base line comparison for normal?

Also I do not think anyone on this forum has any business telling people NOT to do anything - so I'm sorry to have to disagree with you Dr Sonofabeach.

My radar goes off when someone has to resort to name calling to get their point across ;)

I tongue in cheek called him doctor - not really name calling.

Anyway weren't you the one who promised to put me on ignore?

Nope. I enjoy a bit of entertainment :) My previous comments to you were regarding your empty diary. Carry on. Cheers!

Thanks will do.:smile:
  • Size8Susie
    Options
    ****** You know what people you've seriously upset me and I really daren't even read the comments now so I'm going to delete my account and forget it - you win! Thanks for your support! *****

We obviously have different ideas on what the word recommend is - My interpretation is that it is advise as apposed to an order or instruction - what's yours?
    No disagreement on the definition. It's a silly recommendation with no good basis in research or knowledge.
    Well then don't do it, your an adult and have freedom of choice!

You are making recommendations to others that have no basis in research or knowledge. I don't post in threads like this for my benefit, I do it for people reading these threads to try and get them to think critically and avoid falling for silly recommendations made by people who have no business giving advice.

What would be the harm of someone cutting back on sugar for a month? If a 100 people did it and at the end of that month 99% went back to eating how they did before and the 1% found a health benefit (please, I know you are not naïve enough to think some people do not have issues with sugar that cutting it back wouldn't help) I think for that 1% the 30 day trial would be worth it.

I think a sillier recommendation would be to not try different things - if you've never tried cutting back sugar on your diet where is your base line comparison for normal?

Also I do not think anyone on this forum has any business telling people NOT to do anything - so I'm sorry to have to disagree with you Dr Sonofabeach.

My radar goes off when someone has to resort to name calling to get their point across ;)

I tongue in cheek called him doctor - not really name calling.

Anyway weren't you the one who promised to put me on ignore?

Nope. I enjoy a bit of entertainment :) My previous comments to you were regarding your empty diary. Carry on. Cheers!

Thanks will do.:smile:
  • Size8Susie
    Options
    ****** You know what people you've seriously upset me and I really daren't even read the comments now so I'm going to delete my account and forget it - you win! Thanks for your support! *****
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Again...why let other people's debates in the threads affect you? You're the OP find the information you were looking for from the comments and ignore the rest. The debate isn't about you anymore it's about them? Good luck with your weight loss. Figure out what works for you - you did actually get some advice in here somewhere - take it for what it is. This isn't the first thread on MFP to end this way.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I have just OFFICIALLY started MFP today and I'm going to avoid all sugar even fruit. I'm sure I crave iy and want to give it a go!

Has anyone else done this and if so how did they find it and what results if any did they find?

Thanks for reading!!!!

It's a very uninformed idea and will not help you in weightloss, because you will fail. Lowering added sugar , especially from overly processed foods ? Great idea! Avoiding all sugar, even fruit speaks only ( with all due respect ) of your ignorance when it comes to nutrition & health.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

OP - I read the comments. However, reading them did not make me change my mind that giving up all sugars is the answer or even a good idea. I do not recall your answer when someone asked you if you are giving up dairy and carbs. But it seems we will never know because.....

tumblr_mwkit909I71s2optio1_500.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

another sugar thread ends in a rage quit….

the cycle has completed itself again ...
  • SOCKMONKEYBOBO
    SOCKMONKEYBOBO Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Truly, sugar is not the problem. it's the amount of unnecessary sugar you consume.

I see previous notes where "all sugar is the same" Common sense says that an apple is not as bad as a 3-tier cake with gobs of icing. Compare the two; see the difference

But you don't know me, and you don't know my qualifications. If you are dieting under a doctor's care, ask for a referral to a nutritionist and pose your question to them.

More people than not hurt themselves by making uninformed decisions

I have lost over 30 lbs and I have a sugar issue, but I am getting there by making intelligent decisions on a moderation diet
    Either way, good luck
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Truly, sugar is not the problem. it's the amount of unnecessary sugar you consume.

I see previous notes where "all sugar is the same" Common sense says that an apple is not as bad as a 3-tier cake with gobs of icing. Compare the two; see the difference

But you don't know me, and you don't know my qualifications. If you are dieting under a doctor's care, ask for a referral to a nutritionist and pose your question to them.

I have lost over 30 lbs and I have a sugar issue, but I am getting there by making intelligent decisions on a moderation diet
    Either way, good luck

No one said an apple is the same as cake nutritionally, people were pointing out the fallacy of saying the sugar in cake is bad for you but the sugar in the apple is good for you. Isolate the sugar from each item, and your body will not be able to tell the difference between the sugar from the apple and the sugar from the cake. It will simply break down the molecules and metabolize it. That's science.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

This is correct. Moderation is key.

The difference is the amount of sugar, not the sugar itself, and you seem to be contradicting your statement above.

Okay

Agreed. There is a reason many of us attempt to have intelligent discussion in these forums.

Either way, good luck

Congratulations. Keep that up. Moderation and sustainability are key. If you look around you will find many of us who have lost quite a bit of weight and kept it off by making intelligent decisions and not depriving ourselves of things we like.
  • 911minnie
    Options
    NO need to apologize. We all have different nutritional needs and goals. I'm in the process of cutting out sugars. Good Luck.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I really wish people would learn to keep an open mind, listen, and think critically rather than coming in here with their minds made up about some fad that they are convinced is the solution to all their weight loss and health problems. It's a discussion forum, FFS, not everyone is going to agree though there are plenty of correct answers to many of the basic questions people pose, and plenty of wrong ones too.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I really wish people would learn to keep an open mind, listen, and think critically rather than coming in here with their minds made up about some fad that they are convinced is the solution to all their weight loss and health problems. It's a discussion forum, FFS, not everyone is going to agree though there are plenty of correct answers to many of the basic questions people pose, and plenty of wrong ones too.

funny-gif-Steve-Carell-laughing.gif
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I knew you would try to take issue with this, but you see, that "think critically" part is, in a word, critical. You have demonstrated again and again to be incapable of it.

ETA: keep trying to get your gif posted. You'll succeed eventually. :flowerforyou:
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Why have you made this topic so many times? I now don't like you.

I didn't realise everyone read EXACTLY the same forums so do apologise however with regards to you not liking me quite frankly I think if you haven't got anything constructive to say you should grow up. I though people on here were meant to be mature and polite!!

It's called "recent topics" you fool.

And don't tell me to "grow up" when you're the one behaving like a child. Giving up sugar is nearly as ridiculous as raspberry ketones. I suggest you read about the human body and the requirement of sugar rather than silly books on fad diets.
  • Dgangaware
    Dgangaware Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Susie,

I did cut out all sugar on the 17 day diet for the first phase…sort of a "detox" and had great results. After that I switched to a sensible calorie goal and balanced diet using MFP. I have lost 26 pounds since January 6th. After cutting out sugar for a week or so, I found those cravings went away and I felt so much better! I agree fruit has many benefits, but I do believe that cutting out sugar for a bit is healthy for your body. I now limit sugar to the suggestions on MFP ( fruit sugar and other sugar included - it's all sugar) and I feel great with tons more energy.
    Just my two cents!
    Good luck!
    Denise
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I knew you would try to take issue with this, but you see, that "think critically" part is, in a word, critical. You have demonstrated again and again to be incapable of it.

ETA: keep trying to get your gif posted. You'll succeed eventually. :flowerforyou:

:laugh: Thanks I thought that was a particular good gif.

I certainly did take issue with your statement as IMHO most of the OP's (particularly the newbies do not have a narrow minds) they have an idea of a way of doing something and post their thread because they are looking for more information and yes sometimes affirmation.

I find that it is the handful of regular faces (and I'll include yourself and myself with this) that have the narrowest of minds, you have your idea of what works and what doesn't and you can call upon you bias studies to cement your unmoveable believe and I likewise.

Although I have U-turned as I once shared your opinion. :drinker:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

:laugh: Thanks I thought that was a particular good gif.

I certainly did take issue with your statement as IMHO most of the OP's (particularly the newbies do not have a narrow minds) they have an idea of a way of doing something and post their thread because they are looking for more information and yes sometimes affirmation.

I find that it is the handful of regular faces (and I'll include yourself and myself with this) that have the narrowest of minds, you have your idea of what works and what doesn't and you can call upon you bias studies to cement your unmoveable believe and I likewise.

Although I have U-turned as I once shared your opinion. :drinker:

LOL, wut? :laugh: :noway:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I have never posted in a MFP forum before (I usually just peruse) but I i have actually experienced what you are proposing to do so I thought I'd give my two cents and experience (hopefully this isn't an epic first post fail haha).

will not re quote your long post in its entirety - but what you wrote was a sensible moderate approach to reducing sugar intake - I don't think anyone would take issue with that.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options

Yesterday for instance I had lunch too late and felt bonked. .

I do hope this sentence doesn't mean what it would mean in Australia !! :laugh: