We should do a walk challenge.

Options
Any ideas?? :)

Replies

• StephieWheats
    StephieWheats Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    maybe so many miles a week? I walk between 10-12 a week.... I know I could do better than that! I'm up for it!
  • shnnd19
    shnnd19 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    How bet setting a goal for each week, either start lower & keep increasing it? What do you think?
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Maybe we can do one for october since its right around the corner. Whoever does the most miles..I usually walk 35-40 miles a week.
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    It's funny that I ran into this post. I wanted to do a challenge like this for October. but I was just going to call it a miles challenge. So if you walk, do the elliptical, stairmaster (actually tells you steps and distance), ride the bike, row machine, if you're counting steps using a pedometer. We can check in daily or weekly or however frequently we can. At the beginning of the week, set up your goal and then see if we make that goal by the end of the week. then I was thinking for an added challenge, that each week, we increase our miles by atleast 10 percent.

I am shooting for about 15 miles a week, but half of them will probably come from biking, the other half split between treadmill, stairmaster and elliptical, occasionally the row machine.

I hope this idea catches on. I will post it in my newsfeed to see if I can get some of my friends on board too.
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    I was replying at the same time that the same ideas came in. I guess great minds think alike. I'm definitely on board!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I do 10 miles a week, walking to/from work and aim to do around 7-10 extr at weekends. To be honest, I'm little space constrained (I use same routes) so may be try to up my pace? With fitness walking I average 3.8mph.

Definitely worth trying to improve, especially before the winter sets in!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am in
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should do a most ADDED miles, so we can get some newbies in here too. So if someones only walking 1 mile a week now , but someone else is walking 10, it could be whoever adds the most to their walks. I know that seems a lot for some of you who are already walking a bit, but then at least its about stepping it up a notch? What do you think?
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    I like the last comment on this. So..if im walking 7 miles a day..i should do a couple extra miles more..its getting colder in some areas too..at least i wont die from the heat. :D
  • shnnd19
    shnnd19 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I like about who ever increases the most miles. But should we do this for weekly instead of monthly? So are we starting this Oct 1st?
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    Yeah, I think we should make October a good month. I was thinking weekly too and we can log our miles daily or use tickers.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Ok apparently I'm a little ticker retarded how did you do that on your ticker? lol. I like the idea of like a weekly check in, and then we could do like a monthly total. lol
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun to me! I miss my daily walks... hopefully it cools off enough by the end of next week I can start walking again.
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    I just made my miles ticker! I won't start it officially until October 1st. Shooting for 15 miles a week.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    virgo, go to tickerfactory.com and go to exercise tickers..click on it. you should figure it out from there. :D
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Right, I generally do 10 miles a working week (so 40ish per month), so I've set my target to 80 miles for October, and will increase that to 100 for November, etc.
  • dindivt
    Options
    I'm in, are we counting just walking miles or anything (stairmaster, elliptical, bike etc) I work nights and sometimes can use the gym at work while "working" also I pay for a gym membership that I should utilize since the weather in Vermont is starting to get colder.
  • Beebee78
    Options
    Count me in - I intend to walk 1500 miles in the next year :) xxx
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    I'm in, are we counting just walking miles or anything (stairmaster, elliptical, bike etc) I work nights and sometimes can use the gym at work while "working" also I pay for a gym membership that I should utilize since the weather in Vermont is starting to get colder.

I was thinking that we could count all cardio machines. even row machines give you distance in meters, you just have to convert it to miles. I think its just whatever your preference is.

So am I clear that we are not officially starting until the 1st of October? or should we start logging our miles now?
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I'm in!
    I am generally going about 8 miles per week in a mixture of biking and walking. I'm hoping to triple that!