7 Days Left on Low carb and fading fast

Options

Replies

• mdallas6
    mdallas6 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I knew it would be taken in the wrong context. My example was If I low carb part of the day and low cal the other part (day or night) it doesnt work. Its either low carb all day or low cal all day.

how did I take you out of context? You said that if you eat carbs at night that it then takes three days to burn off the excess? All I asked for was the scientific evidence that you said existed to back this claim up....
    I said "for example if I ate low carbs in the morning then low cal at night I won't lose weight"........not meaning if I eat carbs at night only...
  • mdallas6
    Options
    And as for weight loss I am losing 3-5 lbs a week on low carb. Low cal is a slower weight loss

Then your caloric deficit is pretty high.
    Once you get closer to "ideal" composition, your rate of weight loss will decrease.
    I eat 1200 calories a day and am at 20-30 cabs a day
  • mdallas6
    Options
    And as for weight loss I am losing 3-5 lbs a week on low carb. Low cal is a slower weight loss

:ohwell: Fast weight loss is about the worst reason I can think of for going low carb.

How long have you been losing at this rate?
    when you have a lot of weight to lose you are able to stay in the induction phase for a longer time. Some of us have more than 20 lbs to lose. And losing weight quickly and healthy isn't a bad reason to do low carb. This thread is really full of low carb haters!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I knew it would be taken in the wrong context. My example was If I low carb part of the day and low cal the other part (day or night) it doesnt work. Its either low carb all day or low cal all day.

how did I take you out of context? You said that if you eat carbs at night that it then takes three days to burn off the excess? All I asked for was the scientific evidence that you said existed to back this claim up....
    I said "for example if I ate low carbs in the morning then low cal at night I won't lose weight"........not meaning if I eat carbs at night only...

this is from your post:

"The whole premise of low carbing is that (and its scientific evidence) your body burns carbs for energy and once the carbs/sugars are gone, your body burns fat. So if you eat carbs at night, your body takes about 3 days to burn off the sugars that you eat, so you wouldnt be burning fat, only sugars and wont lose weight. "

I simply asked for the scientific evidence that you say backs this claim up. I have not taken anything you said out of context.
  • mdallas6
    Options
    If "calorie counting didn't work," it's because you were doing it wrong. Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight, regardless of diet.

I can't play the entire song "Eruption" by Van Halen, so obviously the problem is that guitars don't work...

bingo.
    Regardless of how the deficit occurs (whether it's from low carb, low fat, portion control, etc.), it's all about the calories.
    I have to say that for low carbing, its not calorie counting. Its CARB counting. Because if I low carb in the morning and eat low cal at night, the diet doesnt work. The whole premise of low carbing is that (and its scientific evidence) your body burns carbs for energy and once the carbs/sugars are gone, your body burns fat. So if you eat more carbs (low fat diets have higher carbs), your body takes about 3 days to burn off the sugars that you eat, so you wouldnt be burning fat, only sugars and wont lose weight. That is why there are strict phases of the diet (Atkins anyway) that limit you to a certain amount and slowly build in more depending on your own body and your desired outcome. I had 92lbs to lose back in November so I have stayed on the induction phase longer, the most strict phase, limiting myself to 20 a day. I have my good days and not so good days, but again I allow myself to eat more carbs if I need to as it is a lifestyle change and I need to be able to support this way of eating.
    I said it's about carb counting.....IF I ate low carb in the morning then switched to low cal at night the diet doesn't work.......it's about CARBS (the amount if carbs WHENEVER you eat them), not calories. The scientific proof is in the Atkins diet book or you can google it. It's a process of ketosis when your body burns fat for energy and not sugar.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Then your caloric deficit is pretty high.
    Once you get closer to "ideal" composition, your rate of weight loss will decrease.
    I eat 1200 calories a day and am at 20-30 cabs a day

Yeah, it's going to decrease. But it's okay. It happens that way with everyone.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    If "calorie counting didn't work," it's because you were doing it wrong. Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight, regardless of diet.

I can't play the entire song "Eruption" by Van Halen, so obviously the problem is that guitars don't work...

bingo.
    Regardless of how the deficit occurs (whether it's from low carb, low fat, portion control, etc.), it's all about the calories.
    I have to say that for low carbing, its not calorie counting. Its CARB counting. Because if I low carb in the morning and eat low cal at night, the diet doesnt work. The whole premise of low carbing is that (and its scientific evidence) your body burns carbs for energy and once the carbs/sugars are gone, your body burns fat. So if you eat more carbs (low fat diets have higher carbs), your body takes about 3 days to burn off the sugars that you eat, so you wouldnt be burning fat, only sugars and wont lose weight. That is why there are strict phases of the diet (Atkins anyway) that limit you to a certain amount and slowly build in more depending on your own body and your desired outcome. I had 92lbs to lose back in November so I have stayed on the induction phase longer, the most strict phase, limiting myself to 20 a day. I have my good days and not so good days, but again I allow myself to eat more carbs if I need to as it is a lifestyle change and I need to be able to support this way of eating.
    I said it's about carb counting.....IF I ate low carb in the morning then switched to low cal at night the diet doesn't work.......it's about CARBS (the amount if carbs WHENEVER you eat them), not calories. The scientific proof is in the Atkins diet book or you can google it. It's a process of ketosis when your body burns fat for energy and not sugar.

Ok - so you have no scientific evidence to back up your claim. Thanks.

what difference does it make when you eat? Meal timing and metabolism have zero relationship...

by scientific evidence I assumed you meant some kind of peer reviewed article/journal etc…not a books that advocates for low carb…
  • DamePiglet
    Options

bingo.

Ok - so you have no scientific evidence to back up your claim. Thanks.

what difference does it make when you eat? Meal timing and metabolism have zero relationship...

by scientific evidence I assumed you meant some kind of peer reviewed article/journal etc…not a books that advocates for low carb…

She's eating 1200 calories so she's definitely gonna lose weight.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    it doesn't take three weeks to "enter ketosis"

Read what I wrote. I said it can take up to 3 weeks.
    It takes me a few days to enter ketosis on low carb so when I binge, I can lose up to a week of benefits.

Her method won't keep her in ketosis which is why I said there was no use for her to continue with the low carb.

So unless you've been on a low carb diet take your assumptions elsewhere.
    Most people enter ketosis in a few days *IF* they truly eat under 30g of carbohydrate per day AND they limit protein to moderate amounts. As has been mentioned you can enter ketosis quicker if you do some long cardio (to empty liver glycogen) and some all-over body weight-training (to empty muscle glycogen).

I think the confusion here stems from ketosis vs. keto-adaptation. You can enter ketosis quickly but the process of keto-adaptation takes longer. Keto-adaptation is the process by which the body switches to prefer fat to glucose for it's fuel source. That *CAN* take 3+ weeks. In some people it can take 8 weeks. Sure, getting into NK (nutritional ketosis) is quick, but getting keto-adapted isn't necessarily as fast. (FYI research shows that those who regularly do CKD's - cyclic ketogenic diets - generally become keto-adapted much-faster than those trying a keto diet for their first time.)

Also of note - ketogenic diets aren't just about low-carb - it's also about high-fat / moderate-protein. If you eat too much protein (above/beyond your needs) the process of gluconeogenesis will convert that protein to glucose, causing the keto-adaptation process to be delayed or even stalled. This is why many people fail at the keto diet - they go low carb, but get too much protein, not enough fat. Until people are keto-adapted, they can and will feel insufficient energy - physically and mentally.

As for the lack of veggies, etc. - if you truly hate them at least have a good multivitamin. If you like lettuce, maybe have a daily salad out of some dark greens - romaine, kale, baby spinach, etc. Enjoy some low-GI fruit such as berries or cherries to help get needed anti-oxidants, etc. You can enjoy these items within reason and still stay ketogenic.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    it doesn't take three weeks to "enter ketosis"

Read what I wrote. I said it can take up to 3 weeks.
    It takes me a few days to enter ketosis on low carb so when I binge, I can lose up to a week of benefits.

Her method won't keep her in ketosis which is why I said there was no use for her to continue with the low carb.

So unless you've been on a low carb diet take your assumptions elsewhere.
    Most people enter ketosis in a few days *IF* they truly eat under 30g of carbohydrate per day AND they limit protein to moderate amounts. As has been mentioned you can enter ketosis quicker if you do some long cardio (to empty liver glycogen) and some all-over body weight-training (to empty muscle glycogen).

I think the confusion here stems from ketosis vs. keto-adaptation. You can enter ketosis quickly but the process of keto-adaptation takes longer. Keto-adaptation is the process by which the body switches to prefer fat to glucose for it's fuel source. That *CAN* take 3+ weeks. In some people it can take 8 weeks. Sure, getting into NK (nutritional ketosis) is quick, but getting keto-adapted isn't necessarily as fast. (FYI research shows that those who regularly do CKD's - cyclic ketogenic diets - generally become keto-adapted much-faster than those trying a keto diet for their first time.)

Also of note - ketogenic diets aren't just about low-carb - it's also about high-fat / moderate-protein. If you eat too much protein (above/beyond your needs) the process of gluconeogenesis will convert that protein to glucose, causing the keto-adaptation process to be delayed or even stalled. This is why many people fail at the keto diet - they go low carb, but get too much protein, not enough fat. Until people are keto-adapted, they can and will feel insufficient energy - physically and mentally.

As for the lack of veggies, etc. - if you truly hate them at least have a good multivitamin. If you like lettuce, maybe have a daily salad out of some dark greens - romaine, kale, baby spinach, etc. Enjoy some low-GI fruit such as berries or cherries to help get needed anti-oxidants, etc. You can enjoy these items within reason and still stay ketogenic.

Lots of great notes there. I enjoy reading informative posts.
    I wouldn't worry too much about OP as far as this "diet" goes... I think he only has one day left on it and he's currently got ice cream sandwiches to keep him from going into ketosis ;)
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I still would like to know if ^^^above is an example of a typical low carb diet. I really am interested in knowing what you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I also think that it would be beneficial for the OP to know if ^^^above is not normal low carb.
    I eat a ketogenic diet (39 months now) and my food diary is public.

FYI I was away with some major work/family issues for about 9 months and only came back for regular check-in a week ago ... so you won't see anything between May 14, 2013 and Mar 18, 2014... But feel free to browse. Dates prior-to or after those ...
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I have to say that for low carbing, its not calorie counting. Its CARB counting.
    Actually, to be precise it's BOTH. There are many that suggest you don't have to carb count on low-carb ... just "eat until you're full" and "only eat when hungry" ... While that may work for many - it's because they get full faster and are less-hungry while low-carbing, THUS they eat fewer calories than required for maintenance.

The problem comes with people who eat for emotional/psychological reasons. Whether it be comfort, reward, addiction, whatever. Those individuals generally MUST count calories, even while low-carb, to ensure they are at the deficit required for losing weight.

Yes, there are a few anecdotal examples of people eating considerably more than their metabolic requirements and losing weight ... but those are extremely limited and generally not something we can duplicate in a lab. Sure, there's a slight thermic effect to food - but in the case of LCHF/keto diets it's typically only found if protein intake increases, and it's very few calories per day in laboratory environments.
    Because if I low carb in the morning and eat low cal at night, the diet doesnt work. The whole premise of low carbing is that (and its scientific evidence) your body burns carbs for energy and once the carbs/sugars are gone, your body burns fat.
    Not because of caloric issues, but because excess carbohydrate can 'kick you out' of ketosis - when you're no longer keto-adapted, your body's preferred (what it uses first) fuel source is glucose instead of fatty acids.

So if you eat more carbs (low fat diets have higher carbs), your body takes about 3 days to burn off the sugars that you eat, so you wouldnt be burning fat, only sugars and wont lose weight. That is why there are strict phases of the diet (Atkins anyway) that limit you to a certain amount and slowly build in more depending on your own body and your desired outcome. I had 92lbs to lose back in November so I have stayed on the induction phase longer, the most strict phase, limiting myself to 20 a day. I have my good days and not so good days, but again I allow myself to eat more carbs if I need to as it is a lifestyle change and I need to be able to support this way of eating.
    FYI the Atkins stages have to do with getting into ketosis (Atkins calls this 'induction') and then becoming keto-adapted.

As far as good days and not-so-good days ... IF you exercise enough to keep your glycogen stores mostly depleted, you will normally find that you have to eat a LOT of CHO to get knocked out of ketosis. This is why I exercise 6 days a week. Metabolically the body will route circulating serum glucose to depleted glycogen stores BEFORE it uses it for cellular respiration (unless there's a current need - ie: you're currently exercising) or moves it into fat cells.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Thankyou Dude. Now THIS is an entirely different thing than what the OP is doing. I respect people that eat well. Even if I might not do low carb myself, since I'm doing so well eating a little of everything--typical Mediterranean diet. I would thik low carbers would have to eat various vegetables to be successful and healthy in the long run. I really want everyone on here to succeed. I find the discussions interesting--am learning so much. Sorry to bug you with questions, but you have to admit alot of people don't understand what you're doing. I need to see examples, and imagine there are lots of others on MFP like me. Appreciate your time. Best.:smile:

I eat way different than the o/p as well. It's no wonder he doesn't feel well with the lack of good food in his meal choices.

For me, a typical day is:
    Breakfast- 2 cups of coffee, with heavy cream and no sugar
    2-3 eggs
    2 sausage patties, either turkey or turkey/pork combo

Lunch
    Salad- 3oz of greens, 2oz cukes, 2oz tomatoes, and then some other veggies, like carrot, bok choy, mushrooms, scallions, whatever we have around. 4oz of chicken breast, olive oil, balsamic vinegar. Sometimes an ounce of cheese on top. Sometimes I'll use a can of tuna instead of chicken, or I'll make tuna salad and have it on a low carb tortilla.

Snack- nuts or pork rinds or some cheese

Dinner-
    a large portion of meat, like steak, pork chops, baked chicken or turkey, salmon. 10-16oz
    a large portion of a veggie like cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, asparagus, really any fresh veggies cooked in olive or coconut oil. 12oz at least. Mixed veggie stir fry a lot too. Lots of good spices, Indian, Thai, etc to keep things interesting.

I try to stay around 50g net carbs a day. I go over on the weekends because I like craft beer and will have some of them.
    I try to get at least 64oz of water, preferably more.

Thankyou for your examples. This also is alot better than what the OP is doing. Best.:smile:
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Pants I use are probably still a little too tight for me so Im definitely going to need to go another 30 days in a few weeks. Feel good today. Getting little bored with the foods im eating so a break will be good. Been going to restaurants more. Today Im eating

Breakfast
    1 Mozzarella cheese stick
    4 sausage patties

Lunch
    Went to Pollo tropical
    3 grilled chicken wings
    1 chicken thigh
    Roast pork
    About a cup of romaine with 3 tblspoons ceasar salad dressing

Dinner

2 salmon filets
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Pants I use are probably still a little too tight for me so Im definitely going to need to go another 30 days in a few weeks. Feel good today. Getting little bored with the foods im eating so a break will be good. Been going to restaurants more. Today Im eating

Breakfast
    4 sausage patties

Lunch
    Went to Pollo tropical
    3 grilled chicken wings
    1 chicken thigh
    Roast pork

Dinner

2 salmon filets

You gotta get some vegetables in your diet. 1 cup of romaine is BS. You said you like green beans and bell peppers, eat them!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Only one day left to go - get that fridge stocked up with Carbs (I hope you've got beers ready).

My personal choice for a high carb meal would be large pizza (meat feast with BBQ sauce base). Garlic great and a whole tub of B&J Chunky Monkey.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Miamiuu
    Options

Breakfast
    4 sausage patties

Lunch
    Went to Pollo tropical
    3 grilled chicken wings
    1 chicken thigh
    Roast pork

Dinner

2 salmon filets

You gotta get some vegetables in your diet. 1 cup of romaine is BS. You said you like green beans and bell peppers, eat them!

The only reason Im even eating any veggies is so I can have a bowel movement every few days. I dont want to get constipated. If I could go without eating any veggies then I would.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Holy crap!! Is there a way to unfollow a topic? This one shows first every time and Id liike to not have it in my topics anymore....
    I honestly CANT read it anymore... The sheer nonsense is making my eyes bleed!
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Breakfast
    4 sausage patties

Lunch
    Went to Pollo tropical
    3 grilled chicken wings
    1 chicken thigh
    Roast pork

Dinner

2 salmon filets

The only reason Im even eating any veggies is so I can have a bowel movement every few days. I dont want to get constipated. If I could go without eating any veggies then I would.

I hope you're taking a multivitamin.

BTW, you're pretty much the protein equivalent of the typical American obesity diet.
    Congratulations.
    Enjoy that short-term, yo-yo diet rollercoaster you've put yourself on.
    I'm sure your *kitten* enjoys all those bigg-meat dumps you're forcing through it.
  • Miamiuu
    Options
    Only one day left to go - get that fridge stocked up with Carbs (I hope you've got beers ready).

My personal choice for a high carb meal would be large pizza (meat feast with BBQ sauce base). Garlic great and a whole tub of B&J Chunky Monkey.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thinking about getting a mcflurry from mcdonalds and I have 3 fried chicken hungry man dinners that need to be eaten. along with some lasagna and a few pizzas.