7 Days Left on Low carb and fading fast

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I do agree with QuietBloom that Flaxmilk seems like a swell and balanced person. I can't say that about every poster I've encountered on these forums.

:blushing: Thank you to you both. :flowerforyou: :heart:

If I didn't already say it elsewhere, I'll say it here: I didn't mean you were wrong about people saying jerky things to you; that I'm 1000% positive is true (as someone who has eaten "differently" for more than half my life.) What I was disagreeing with is the idea that others find widespread acceptance of their diets. I'm guessing you won't see this but figured I may as well clarify that since you seem really bothered by it. I don't doubt your personal experiences, and I don't have issue with you eating low carb.

All I was saying was that vegetarians are more socially accepted than low carbers. My ex fiancé was a vegetarian and to go into a restaurant and there was always vegetarian dishes but to order a burger with no bun or a taco salad with no shell and people look at you like you are off our rocker. That's all I meant by vegetarians being a more socially accepted way of eating. Most menus have vegetarian options.

Vegetarianism can be justified on ethical and moral grounds. You can choose not to eat animals because animals have feelings, or you can't justify the energy and waste required to produce and harvest animals.

Low carb? Not so much.

Well yes, that was pretty much my point.
  • ALNoog
    Options
    All I was saying was that vegetarians are more socially accepted than low carbers. My ex fiancé was a vegetarian and to go into a restaurant and there was always vegetarian dishes but to order a burger with no bun or a taco salad with no shell and people look at you like you are off our rocker. That's all I meant by vegetarians being a more socially accepted way of eating. Most menus have vegetarian options.

That was what I meant about location mattering. Where I live, it's not difficult to find low carb options or menus with low carb sections. The restaurants I can go to are pretty limited; the others just don't have food I can eat, and don't get me started on how many "vegetarian" dishes have chicken broth in them when you ask for the ingredients. Many vegetarian dishes at restaurants would not actually be vegetarian, depending on things like sources of rennet or food dyes. I don't travel often, but my experiences were pretty split-in one state, I couldn't dream of finding vegetarian food besides salad, and in another, I was in complete heaven.

People have ridiculed me (frequently) on my birthday, on holidays. I have been looked at as "off my rocker" more times than I could even dream of counting for things like ordering a bun and toppings without the meat. I get questioned and told of how poor my health is all the time. I've even been accused of immorality. Of course you will notice what happens to you more; that's human nature. But I think no matter where you go, some style of eating will be different and questioned, just because of how we work in groups. It's unfortunate and annoying, but it's one reason I love MFP. The people on my friends list don't bug me about what I eat, whether or not they are vegetarian, and that's a refreshing change.

TL;DR: I'm going to argue with your POV on experiences that you don't have, but I have no doubts about your own. You probably get the same reactions, questions, and jokes I do, just with slightly different details.

That is very true. Location absolutely has an effect on diet. I am from the south but landlocked...so it's usually fried or fried or fried if it's on a menu here and I can't stand seafood but if I was from a coastal state I'm sure it would be second nature and plentiful on a menu. Around here it is very pro vegetarian.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Vegetarianism can be justified on ethical and moral grounds. You can choose not to eat animals because animals have feelings, or you can't justify the energy and waste required to produce and harvest animals.

Low carb? Not so much.
    Low-carb can be 'justified' for medical grounds. I'm fairly certain there's more people with insulin-resistance and/or diabetes in the US than there are vegetarians, based on current CDC statistics ... as such it'd be nice if restaurants catered to them as-well, instead of offering diabetics low-fat/high-carb food.
  • angelgirl62
    Options
    For a low carber ----it is about finding your carb amount you can lose on and still eat as many carbs as possible----I know a gal that lost on 70 carbs a day and then after weight loss upped it till she wasn't losing weight just holding at 140 carbs a day...... you do need potassium and also add some salt in here and there----or u will be weak.......
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Low carb? Not so much.
    Low-carb can be 'justified' for medical grounds. I'm fairly certain there's more people with insulin-resistance and/or diabetes in the US than there are vegetarians, based on current CDC statistics ... as such it'd be nice if restaurants catered to them as-well, instead of offering diabetics low-fat/high-carb food.

Can we truly expect a restaurant to cater to all of our needs. I have to eat low sodium...not too many choices when I dine out. Other than fresh produce there are not too many options at the grocery store. Most meat has had sodium added to it and if you happen to find some that hasn't been...you pay twice as much.

Most restaurants will also look at me crazy when I ask...what do you serve besides lettuce that you haven't added salt to.

It is an economics issue...they cater to the majority.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There are also those who are vegetarian for religious reasons.

There are many reasons vegetarianism and low carb are viewed very differently by the general public.
  • ALNoog
    Options
    For a low carber ----it is about finding your carb amount you can lose on and still eat as many carbs as possible----I know a gal that lost on 70 carbs a day and then after weight loss upped it till she wasn't losing weight just holding at 140 carbs a day...... you do need potassium and also add some salt in here and there----or u will be weak.......

Well that is great for them some people can go higher.
    My former best friend claimed her doctor put her on a diabetic diet that was 300 carbs a day so she ate cookies and crackers and ice cream and candy and cake and had to take 2 different kinds if insulin 3 times a day. But to each their own.

I have found they mine is 30 carbs.
  • Chisoxguy7
    Chisoxguy7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pick up some Potassium tablets. Not sure of the dosage, but you can look that up for recommended amounts. Low Carb really limits your potassium and that's why you feel so drained.

Anyone on a low carb diet needs to supplement potassium, magnesium, and sodium. I have been doing keto for 8 months now, and lost 25% of my body weight. I continue to keto for maintenance.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    maybe, just maybe, you're lacking energy because you're not eating enough carbohydrate

DOH!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I think it's interesting that the "anti-keto" posters repeatedly say that NOBODY stays on a keto diet long-term, yet dozens and dozens of posters show up and say that they've been doing it long term.

And so the anti-keto crowd refuses to believe them or acknowledge their existence.

Myself, I adopted a ketogenic diet in December of 2010. 39 months and counting. I lost 140 lbs on it and maintain excellent (fully normal non-diabetic) glycemic control.

I'm sure I don't really exist though.

that's not long enough. If you did it 5 years, that's not long enough either. Apparently, it has to be 10+ years, or longer than the anti keto person who is projecting their negativity's term of success, which ever is longer. Then you might get some acceptance.
  • mdallas6
    mdallas6 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Who would have thought this post would have recieved such debated conversations?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Who would have thought this post would have recieved such debated conversations?

Anyone who has been on MFP more than a week.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I think it's interesting that the "anti-keto" posters repeatedly say that NOBODY stays on a keto diet long-term, yet dozens and dozens of posters show up and say that they've been doing it long term.

And so the anti-keto crowd refuses to believe them or acknowledge their existence.

Myself, I adopted a ketogenic diet in December of 2010. 39 months and counting. I lost 140 lbs on it and maintain excellent (fully normal non-diabetic) glycemic control.

that's not long enough. If you did it 5 years, that's not long enough either. Apparently, it has to be 10+ years, or longer than the anti keto person who is projecting their negativity's term of success, which ever is longer. Then you might get some acceptance.
    I hear you!

I followed the advice of Ron Raab - who's the current Vice-President of the International Diabetes Federation and the President of the charity Insulin-for-Life. He has been low-carb since 1998. 16 years.

http://www.diabetes-low-carb.org/articles/articles-english/1/1-summary-why.html

I'm sure he doesn't really exist though. ;)

Just because a few people don't personally know anyone that has been low-carb long-term doesn't mean there's none of us out there. There's 10's of thousands of us.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Ron Raab - who's the current Vice-President of the International Diabetes Federation and the President of the charity Insulin-for-Life has been low-carb since 1998. 16 years.

http://www.diabetes-low-carb.org/articles/articles-english/1/1-summary-why.html

I'm sure he doesn't really exist though. ;)

Just because a few people don't personally know anyone that has been low-carb long-term doesn't mean there's none of us out there. There's 10's of thousands of us.

Pretty sure no one said that there are zero people who have been doing low-carb long term.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Pretty sure no one said that there are zero people who have been doing low-carb long term.
    True, but there ARE several people (yourself included) that try to dissuade people from choosing it - whether or not you're aware of a medical reason FOR choosing it.

I personally know HUNDRED'S of diabetics that follow a VLCKD. Some as long as 16 years, some as short as a few months. The average about a year now.

If someone tries to dissuade a person with insulin-resistance (for whatever reason) from eating a very-low-carb ketogenic diet, and tell them that "you'll just fail" or "you can't eat that way for life" - you do them a disservice if they choose to listen to you and NOT at least TRY the diet that's proven healthiest for them.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    True, but there ARE several people (yourself included) that try to dissuade people from choosing it - whether or not you're aware of a medical reason FOR choosing it.

I personally know HUNDRED'S of diabetics that follow a VLCKD. Some as long as 16 years, some as short as a few months. The average about a year now.

If someone tries to dissuade a person with insulin-resistance (for whatever reason) from eating a very-low-carb ketogenic diet, and tell them that "you'll just fail" or "you can't eat that way for life" - you do them a disservice if they choose to listen to you and NOT at least TRY the diet that's proven healthiest for them.

Yes, I do try to dissuade people from choosing it.

Your quotes are not actual quotes, by the way.

Also not sure anyone in this thread was trying to dissuade a person with insulin resistance from eating a medically-appropriate diet.

Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg
  • albertabeefy
    Options

Semantics. The sentiment is the same.
    Also not sure anyone in this thread was trying to dissuade a person with insulin resistance from eating a medically-appropriate diet.
    Whether on this thread, or others - there are most-certainly posts from people suggesting people avoid low-carb WITHOUT knowing if the OP has a medical reason for choosing it.

If anyone (whether you or someone else) attempts to dissuade a person without having that knowledge, then the DO try to dissuade someone from eating a medically-appropriate diet.

It happens.

Often.

That's the only point I wanted to get across.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Semantics. The sentiment is the same.
    Whether on this thread, or others - there are most-certainly posts from people suggesting people avoid low-carb WITHOUT knowing if the OP has a medical reason for choosing it.

If anyone (whether you or someone else) attempts to dissuade a person without having that knowledge, then the DO try to dissuade someone from eating a medically-appropriate diet.

It happens.

Often.

That's the only point I wanted to get across.

I feel pretty comfortable assuming the person asking for advice would mention any serious diet-related medical condition when asking for advice.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I feel pretty comfortable assuming the person asking for advice would mention any serious diet-related medical condition when asking for advice.
    ... and I know from experience people have a tendency - even when seeking treatment and/or medical advice of physicians - to NOT provide relevant medical history; occasionally to their detriment.

Which is why I'm not comfortable with it.

Our experience and outlook is different in that regard. I'm not saying that's a bad thing - it's just different.

With that, adieu good sir. I think this thread needs to die now :)