I'm Bulletproof

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I guess it is limiting, if the only things you like are those that I don't eat. The vast majority of items on most menus are acceptable

I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to defend my choice of using a low carb diet, so let me just say this goes for me too.

To those who feel it's necessary to make snide remarks about someone else's choice instead of just supporting them, I still support your choice even though I've found it doesn't work for me.

Good luck to all in their quest for self improvement, regardless of the method they choose.

The issue I have is when people try to coin a term and use it to sell something making outrageous claims.

"Bulletproofing" is just that.

I personally experienced yak butter tea, like the inventor of bulletproof coffee, in the Himalayas many years ago before he "invented" his coffee. Great stuff and also an acquired taste (I really can't say I like it a lot) and it's usually a good energy source locally especially when mixed with tsampa, a type of flour.

Taking this and marketing is brilliant. As is coining the term.

However, his claims that his coffee is mycotoxin "freer" than other providers seems a stretch. His claim that his "octane" MCT oils are 18x stronger than coconut oil is an empty claim. Stronger at what? Personal taste? Pull test? Empty adjective. Oh, and what's the main ingredient used? Umm, coconut oil.

His claim that bulletproofing leads to preferential fat utilization, better insulin profile are conjecture and unlikely in an isocaloric diet and full 24 day studies have shown no significant benefit from calorie timing. He even claims that it helps build muscle.

The whole "bulletproof" lifestyle (vibrating plate, anyone) that he sells made a few of my fellow trekkers roll their eyes, not out of jealousy at his success but at the marketing hype he peddles.

Sleep induction blanket? Omg.

Lifehack indeed, as he counts his money at the bank.

Yet this thread isn't about his whole thing (whatever it is, I'm not involved), it's about a person's diet preference. The claim the person made is that it works for her, and so far I haven't seen anything for sale. Seems like it would be easy enough to just say "Good luck!" instead of "OP, glad this worked for you but I'd personally be the stupidest person on the planet if I ate like that."

It seems like some people take the idea of another person's diet as some sort of personal affront. It's not, and if it makes someone happy enough to post a little thread saying how happy they are that it is working for them then what kind of person tears them down? It reminds me of people who, when looking at a photo of a person who just lost a lot of weight and is feeling good about themselves says "yeah, but you're still fat in the [insert trouble area]."

I guess some people's mothers never told them "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."

I'm unclear as to how body shaming is even remotely like saying that "I'd be the stupidest person in the world if I ate like that," as if I tried to locate, shop for and keep up with all those specialty foods, I wouldn't have any disposable income from the increased expense. On top of that, I'd probably have to quit my job to have the time to gather all that specialty stuff. And, to make matters worse, my spouse would not be supportive and would be furious. Finally, I'd have to stop eating some foods that I love and that give me nutrients that I need.
    Therefore, eating that way would make me pretty stupid.
    Especially when fine nutrition sources are nearby.

And frankly, if I DID make that choice, someone who cares about me would probably ask me if I did all this because I was punishing myself for gaining weight. People sometimes do extreme things out of guilt and/or self-loathing.

Nothing about that is unkind. Nothing. There's no point in taking it personally.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone have to make things so much more difficult then they have to be....

Hey - I was just stating what worked for ME. Being vegan was difficult. This is not difficult. Difficulty is only a matter of personal experience. What do YOU recommend? :)

Why does it have to be one extremely limiting diet or another? I don't understand how those are your only choices.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone have to make things so much more difficult then they have to be....

Hey - I was just stating what worked for ME. Being vegan was difficult. This is not difficult. Difficulty is only a matter of personal experience. What do YOU recommend? :)

It's already been recommended. Eat foods you enjoy while controlling your portions. DONE.
  • Chelsilu
    Chelsilu Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's all about high quality, nutrient dense food, regardless of what "diet" we eat. I agree that portion sizes are important, but in the big picture, it's all about quality. I don't even consider what I'm doing to be a "diet." It's a lifestyle change; it's eating-habit change; it's health consciousness. I'm not following the "bulletproof diet," but I did learn a lot from Dave Asprey's podcasts. Because of them, I did weeks of research (in libraries and online scientific journals, not blogs or magazines) and I came to the conclusion that I need more high quality fat, more protein, and less carbs. That's my personal macro "ratio." Every single human is different, and yes, some people thrive on high carb diets. I, being insulin resistant (because of my childhood eating habits), do not do well with high carbohydrate eating styles.

I'm sorry that a lot of you do not agree with me and think I need a cookie or some cake, but from what I have learned, processed food isn't food, it's edible, but it's not nutritious. I don't crave or even think about eating those things and it's not painful for me to avoid them. I totally understand it tastes good, but since I'm trying to increase my health, I'll stick to real, whole food, prepared in my home. I'm extremely blessed with the opportunity to simply pick up my food after work since I work at a health food store. I realize that's very hard and expensive for a lot of people. It is, however, just as easy for you to search for high quality foods, research, and read labels in your conventional grocery store.

Definition of food: any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth.

SO...Cake? Cookies? For real? I get it, you want to lose weight so you can eat those things and justify it, but regardless of what you look like or feel like or think like, it's not nourishing, even if it s vegan, gluten free, organic, and or non-gmo. Please don't put a peanut butter cookie in my mouth, you'll be sadly surprised by my self defense skillz.

It's my personal choice to "torture myself" to eat only health promoting foods. You do not have to live your life the same way. I only wrote this to SHARE my experience, not to force feed you health food.

I'm just excited that I finally figured it out (for myself).

Cheers.
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I guess it is limiting, if the only things you like are those that I don't eat. The vast majority of items on most menus are acceptable

I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to defend my choice of using a low carb diet, so let me just say this goes for me too.

To those who feel it's necessary to make snide remarks about someone else's choice instead of just supporting them, I still support your choice even though I've found it doesn't work for me.

Good luck to all in their quest for self improvement, regardless of the method they choose.

The issue I have is when people try to coin a term and use it to sell something making outrageous claims.

I personally experienced yak butter tea, like the inventor of bulletproof coffee, in the Himalayas many years ago before he "invented" his coffee. Great stuff and also an acquired taste (I really can't say I like it a lot) and it's usually a good energy source locally especially when mixed with tsampa, a type of flour.

However, his claims that his coffee is mycotoxin "freer" than other providers seems a stretch. His claim that his "octane" MCT oils are 18x stronger than coconut oil is an empty claim. Stronger at what? Personal taste? Pull test? Empty adjective. Oh, and what's the main ingredient used? Umm, coconut oil.

His claim that bulletproofing leads to preferential fat utilization, better insulin profile are conjecture and unlikely in an isocaloric diet and full 24 day studies have shown no significant benefit from calorie timing. He even claims that it helps build muscle.

The whole "bulletproof" lifestyle (vibrating plate, anyone) that he sells made a few of my fellow trekkers roll their eyes, not out of jealousy at his success but at the marketing hype he peddles.

Yet this thread isn't about his whole thing (whatever it is, I'm not involved), it's about a person's diet preference. The claim the person made is that it works for her, and so far I haven't seen anything for sale. Seems like it would be easy enough to just say "Good luck!" instead of "OP, glad this worked for you but I'd personally be the stupidest person on the planet if I ate like that."

It seems like some people take the idea of another person's diet as some sort of personal affront. It's not, and if it makes someone happy enough to post a little thread saying how happy they are that it is working for them then what kind of person tears them down? It reminds me of people who, when looking at a photo of a person who just lost a lot of weight and is feeling good about themselves says "yeah, but you're still fat in the [insert trouble area]."

I guess some people's mothers never told them "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."

So, you are saying not nice things about people not saying nice things? Guess mom's teachings didn't stick.

The OPs post is bulletproof evangelism. "Ohmygod, worlds best thing, this new thing I've tried for two weeks. All the energies in two weeks". It's absolutely reasonable to say "good for you, wouldn't work for me" when in fact it wouldn't work for me. Personally, the term is a dog-whistle to eye rolling in trekking circles - I understand you might not see that. People here are not attacking her.

Now, if you are projecting "you're still fat" stories, that's rather an exaggeration. No one in this thread has been like that, that's in your read of things.

I'm sorry that you expect people to just happily cheer along ideas that they find contrary to their experience. I'd rather see open expression and exchange of ideas. Almost everyone has offered congrats to the OP. Thread is pretty damn snark free. If you promote an idea it seems reasonable that the idea will be looked at with some critical inspection. Especially in GD&WL section of the site. It's not called "cheer me on blindly".

Personally, I find this to be long term untenable, which is what I wrote. That the OP finds it useful is great - sincerely, good for her.

Noting that someone is not saying nice things is not the same as specifically saying mean things to a person. Any more than arresting a person is the same as abducting them.

I guess when I see things like "OP, glad this worked for you but I'd personally be the stupidest person on the planet if I ate like that." or posts calling her method a penance, or posts by people saying they want to stuff a cookie in her mouth I don't see a thread lacking in snark.

Ah, so you see yourself as some sort of internet cop. It's ok to be mean to the mean people because I have "right" on my side. Pretentiousness.

You've been here for a few years and even with your low thread count you might understand that a bit of humor comes with the place. Glass half empty or full discussion. You're focusing on, IMHO, small elements of "not for me but good luck" attitude.

I do suggest you stay away from the coffee enema and water cleanse threads. Because they are full of "mean people".
    And France. If you try to put oil in your coffee here, your going to get slapped. Hard.

Joking aside. Consider the media and that your level of sensitivity and rules of reasonable speech are not necessarily universal. Also consider that the terminology used, a registered term specific to a coffee from the "bulletproof exec" and new-age yuppie life "hacking" (cough) terminology is the title and core message of this post and that you might not be getting it.

Yes, I see myself as a police officer, roaming the web.

You win, in no way was your statement about that incredibly concrete and black and white, with massive hyperbole. It was a totally reasonable response to a simple analogy between actions. Of course saying someone is not being nice is a terribly mean and cruel act, think of the children!

I also totally get it, you're into trekking and super cool. Like that time in Nepal when you leapt onto a mother Yak and milked her and churned the butter and made coffee before the baby yak even got a first sip! CANNONBALL coffee! Made from primacy Yak milk! But you wouldn't market that because you're just too busy in France maintaining your lead over the hipster community, staying just one step ahead where it's cool and not 'new age yuppie life "hacking" (cough).'
  • Chelsilu
    Chelsilu Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I follow something very similar to the bulletproof diet (perfect health diet) and it is not torture nor hard. Basically you are cutting out sugar and grains. It is very possible to eat like this and lose weight without calorie counting because you feel full all the time as your blood sugar gets so regulated.
    Cuts out sugar, meaning no baked goods, fruits, yogurts or sweet anythings. No grains, meaning no bread, rice, cereal, sandwiches, beer, many soups.
    Isn't hard...
    So meat and greens all day, every day, with the occasional dairy option? It probably isn't hard to transition if you grew up on a diet like this and have access to low cost meat, but saying it's not hard in general is a stretch.

What do you eat on your birthday, since cake and icecream are on your no-no list? I like to imagine you making a ham and then stabbing birthday candles in the top.

I always wonder this too when someone is quick to say they have cut out sugar or carbs for good and plan on doing it forever. Or what do they eat when they go out to eat? Or when they visit a family member's house for dinner?

I imagine a reasonable person would either eat a small serving of the "bad" food to be polite, or just crowd their plate with safe foods so they don't have room for "bad" foods. An attention seeker would flip a table and demand raw vegan risotto, hold the rice. Restaurants must be a nightmare, especially mom and pop joints without no carb options.

Hey. Y'all get off onto tangents like crazy- it's really entertaining. I eat carbs. I don't understand where his came from! Haha! Carbs happen all evening, just little to none in the morning it's easy. Pay attention!! I don't eat out though because the food is generally unclean and or low quality. If I can budget a high quality restaurant into the mix, fine. But I guess I should have mentioned that I am a chef so naturally, my own kitchen is a "restaurant" of sorts. When I eat at friends houses and family dinners, I allow myself to eat whatever is prepared as long as I feel comfortable eating it... Just like everyone else (I assume). I just don't eat everything that is offered to me because I have self control.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I follow something very similar to the bulletproof diet (perfect health diet) and it is not torture nor hard. Basically you are cutting out sugar and grains. It is very possible to eat like this and lose weight without calorie counting because you feel full all the time as your blood sugar gets so regulated.
    Cuts out sugar, meaning no baked goods, fruits, yogurts or sweet anythings. No grains, meaning no bread, rice, cereal, sandwiches, beer, many soups.
    Isn't hard...
    So meat and greens all day, every day, with the occasional dairy option? It probably isn't hard to transition if you grew up on a diet like this and have access to low cost meat, but saying it's not hard in general is a stretch.

What do you eat on your birthday, since cake and icecream are on your no-no list? I like to imagine you making a ham and then stabbing birthday candles in the top.

I always wonder this too when someone is quick to say they have cut out sugar or carbs for good and plan on doing it forever. Or what do they eat when they go out to eat? Or when they visit a family member's house for dinner?

I imagine a reasonable person would either eat a small serving of the "bad" food to be polite, or just crowd their plate with safe foods so they don't have room for "bad" foods. An attention seeker would flip a table and demand raw vegan risotto, hold the rice. Restaurants must be a nightmare, especially mom and pop joints without no carb options.

Hey. Y'all get off onto tangents like crazy- it's really entertaining. I eat carbs. I don't understand where his came from! Haha! Carbs happen all evening, just little to none in the morning it's easy. Pay attention!! I don't eat out though because the food is generally unclean and or low quality. If I can budget a high quality restaurant into the mix, fine. But I guess I should have mentioned that I am a chef so naturally, my own kitchen is a "restaurant" of sorts. When I eat at friends houses and family dinners, I allow myself to eat whatever is prepared as long as I feel comfortable eating it... Just like everyone else (I assume). I just don't eat everything that is offered to me because I have self control.

What the what? How is food unclean? Is this some sort of Pariah code for food prepared by an undercast? How 18th century quaint.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

So, you are saying not nice things about people not saying nice things? Guess mom's teachings didn't stick.

The OPs post is bulletproof evangelism. "Ohmygod, worlds best thing, this new thing I've tried for two weeks. All the energies in two weeks". It's absolutely reasonable to say "good for you, wouldn't work for me" when in fact it wouldn't work for me. Personally, the term is a dog-whistle to eye rolling in trekking circles - I understand you might not see that. People here are not attacking her.

Now, if you are projecting "you're still fat" stories, that's rather an exaggeration. No one in this thread has been like that, that's in your read of things.

I'm sorry that you expect people to just happily cheer along ideas that they find contrary to their experience. I'd rather see open expression and exchange of ideas. Almost everyone has offered congrats to the OP. Thread is pretty damn snark free. If you promote an idea it seems reasonable that the idea will be looked at with some critical inspection. Especially in GD&WL section of the site. It's not called "cheer me on blindly".

Personally, I find this to be long term untenable, which is what I wrote. That the OP finds it useful is great - sincerely, good for her.

Noting that someone is not saying nice things is not the same as specifically saying mean things to a person. Any more than arresting a person is the same as abducting them.

I guess when I see things like "OP, glad this worked for you but I'd personally be the stupidest person on the planet if I ate like that." or posts calling her method a penance, or posts by people saying they want to stuff a cookie in her mouth I don't see a thread lacking in snark.

Ah, so you see yourself as some sort of internet cop. It's ok to be mean to the mean people because I have "right" on my side. Pretentiousness.

You've been here for a few years and even with your low thread count you might understand that a bit of humor comes with the place. Glass half empty or full discussion. You're focusing on, IMHO, small elements of "not for me but good luck" attitude.

I do suggest you stay away from the coffee enema and water cleanse threads. Because they are full of "mean people".
    And France. If you try to put oil in your coffee here, your going to get slapped. Hard.

Joking aside. Consider the media and that your level of sensitivity and rules of reasonable speech are not necessarily universal. Also consider that the terminology used, a registered term specific to a coffee from the "bulletproof exec" and new-age yuppie life "hacking" (cough) terminology is the title and core message of this post and that you might not be getting it.

You win, in no way was your statement about that incredibly concrete and black and white, with massive hyperbole. It was a totally reasonable response to a simple analogy between actions. Of course saying someone is not being nice is a terribly mean and cruel act, think of the children!

I also totally get it, you're into trekking and super cool. Like that time in Nepal when you leapt onto a mother Yak and milked her and churned the butter and made coffee before the baby yak even got a first sip! CANNONBALL coffee! Made from primacy Yak milk! But you wouldn't market that because you're just too busy in France maintaining your lead over the hipster community, staying just one step ahead where it's cool and not 'new age yuppie life "hacking" (cough).'

Gets upset at the criticism, is critical of that. Irony.
    Decides to go into attack mode. Irony x2.
    Gets upset at hyperbole, serves hyperbole. Irony x 3.
    So you don't like people being mean but the snarky above towards me is a-ok? You go.

Again, most people here are wishing the OP the best of luck. It doesn't mean that everyone needs to buy the idea hook, line and sinker.

I have no issue with marketing or his making money off of these product ideas. I do think that the idea of MCT oils is interesting, in general, and there is even reasonable evidence of free fatty acids that have high availability during exercise is an efficient process. But from there to what the site promotes? Well, I will point out when I see it as being empty hype. Bulletproof(r) coffee and the benefits promoted seems to be, IMHO, just that. It's trendy.

I'm glad people here aren't just up voting every idea that comes through with "way to go" and "alright"! Critical review skills are a plus in this place.

As to the actual product - which I have, in fact tried (both the coffee and adding MCT oils to different drinks), it's a no for me. Aside from yak butter tea, which has the plus of being somewhat exotic, I don't like the taste of oil or butter in coffee.

Here is a review of someone else:
    http://foodjunk.wordpress.com/2012/10/01/bulletproof-coffee-a-review/
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what's going on in this thread...

...but I don't want to miss out if it gets good later.

Oh, and BP coffee is delicious. I like 2-3T kerrygold and 1-2T of MCT blended in 2 cups of coffee.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Oh, and BP coffee is delicious. I like 2-3T kerrygold and 1-2T of MCT blended in 2 cups of coffee.

I remember you stating a while back that you liked it. Do you buy the "upgraded" stuff or just make from your own?
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    never mind lol
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I remember you stating a while back that you liked it. Do you buy the "upgraded" stuff or just make from your own?

I bought the upgraded beans a few times in 2012...was tasty...but went back to "regular" beans...and then recently, k-cups. Yeah, the depth to which I have fallen...
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

So you don't like people being mean but the snarky above towards me is a-ok? You go.

Again, most people here are wishing the OP the best of luck. It doesn't mean that everyone needs to buy the idea hook, line and sinker.

I have no issue with marketing or his making money off of these product ideas. I do think that the idea of MCT oils is interesting, in general, and there is even reasonable evidence of free fatty acids that have high availability during exercise is an efficient process. But from there to what the site promotes? Well, I will point out when I see it as being empty hype. Bulletproof(r) coffee and the benefits promoted seems to be, IMHO, just that. It's trendy.

I'm glad people here aren't just up voting every idea that comes through with "way to go" and "alright"! Critical review skills are a plus in this place.

As to the actual product - which I have, in fact tried (both the coffee and adding MCT oils to different drinks), it's a no for me. Aside from yak butter tea, which has the plus of being somewhat exotic, I don't like the taste of oil or butter in coffee.

Not upset, just trying to pass back the silliness of hyperbole you tried to pass with the cop comment along with the logical fallacy of appeal to authority you attempted to use. It was intended to help you see how ridiculous what you said was.

Serious question, do you really not see a difference between noting that someone is not being nice and saying someone's choice would make one "the stupidest person in the world"?

EDIT: P.S. You might want to look into the definition of irony, it's not just a synonym for incongruity.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Not upset, just trying to pass back the silliness of hyperbole you tried to pass with the cop comment along with the logical fallacy of appeal to authority you attempted to use. It was intended to help you see how ridiculous what you said was.

Serious question, do you really not see a difference between noting that someone is not being nice and saying someone's choice would make one "the stupidest person in the world"?

EDIT: P.S. You might want to look into the definition of irony, it's not just a synonym for incongruity.

I don't know, here you are white knighting and calling people mean and yet trying to ridicule. If you can't see the irony of that...
    Again, you focusing on one persons words, which that person has explained, and nuanced to express that it would be the wrong choice for them.

What appeal to authority do you think I'm trying to use? I'm left confused, perhaps you think posting a reference to a blog of opinion is an "appeal to authority", but let me assure you that my opinion is valid, as a personal opinion, on it's own. I don't like the flavor, someone else shares the view, it's not a call to authority in a logical argument since I fully understand it's a question of individual taste. That the OP, Jof or others like this is perfectly ok.
    Or was it something else that makes you think I'm making an appeal? :indifferent:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Oh my, lecture much? Saying the truth is not always nice, and nice is always in the eye of the beholder.

I'm the one who made the comment in bold above and I stick by my words. Eating everything I love in moderation is sustainable for me, but I found this out by eating this way for almost a year, not two weeks.

Sure, fat is necessary to your diet, but what the OP has described is nothing new and is commonly called the Atkins diet (and other high fat diets I can't recall right now). Even yet, the only reason this person is losing weight is because she created a calorie deficit not because she's doing some high fat/low carb diet.

Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight no matter what "diet" you choose.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I tried this once but I only had some ghee on hand. I guess mine was just knife proof. Anyway, it actually tasted pretty damn good, king of like putting homogenized cream in your coffee.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research recently on the myths of cholesterol and realized that it's one of the most heart-protective substances in our bodies.

This is not entirely true. LDL can lead to atherosclerosis, heart attack and stroke. HDL can help lower LDL, but when your doctor tells you that you need to lower your cholesterol, he is not telling you that your HDL levels are too high.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I can understand vegan being difficult because it's extremely restrictive. However, the high fat/low carb diet you describe is restrictive as well because a whole range of foods have been cut out. After two weeks, you say this is your lifetime plan, but how can you really tell? I've heard people develop health problems later on in life after eating in a way that keeps their bodies in ketosis.

I'm not judging you personally, just sharing some thoughts.
  • cchristymike
    Options
    i do something similar--- love my BPC!!