Options
12345679»

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    Yoshirio wrote: »
    dmenchac wrote: »
    Or you can just eat whatever you want while watching your calorie intake and lose 2 lbs a weeks, aka the same amount you lost.

But hey, whatever works.

Was just about to say- I ate nothing but junk the past two weeks and somehow still managed to lose the same amount of weight and inches as the op. Doesn't matter what you eat as long as it fits your calories,you will lose weight op. No need for all the...I don't even know what to call it. You do you though,glad it works for you.

I dont disagree that cc works. I am sharing that, I feel better andmore fullfilled, clean, better digestion, skin, health, emotionally by not eating " anything" but by eating my " happy foods...for me 🙌😁🥑
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I don't like or put butter or ghee in coffee either and see all the different points and opinions. I do use protein powder and like the methodology she uses

I don't use protein powder, but have nothing against it. Just pointing out that if someone claims they avoid processed foods and eat protein powder, they have a misunderstanding of what processed means. We don't know what OP does now, as this thread is old and she's not around. (This is why it's usually pretty useless to jump into a discussion had 5 years ago with people not here.)
    My thinking was mire about how the majority of responses were so against having structure and not eating things many feel are actually good. There is no one answer.

I didn't read all the old responses, but I'm a little skeptical of that.

Personally, I find structure helpful for myself and usually recommend it to anyone struggling and asking for advice. I also believe that most longterm posters here do prioritize things like nutrition and satiety. You and I might (or might not) disagree about what a healthy diet looks like, but I am certainly concerned about and interested in the topic for myself and I think my ideas are consistent with good nutrition science and advice. (I don't consider the bulletproof coffee guy a good source, and that's what I believe OP was pushing.)
    I work in fitness, supplements and know the trends, fads and have seen people use every way they can to get to be where they want, then most fall back into old habits.

Then you should know the biggest problem is ridiculous and unnecessary advice peddled by diet gurus and fads.
    I was mainly struck by the similarity in experience going from vegan to low carb. Whats even more impressed upon me is how completely against the high fat plans I was until I started this sever add l months ago.
    Another thing is she is not full " keto" which is the rage right now. Keto was designed for medical, short term purposes as an aggressive approach for seisures.... That being said, I practice a Meditteranian style diet, not so much oil as monounsaturated foods. Its just like we are allgoingto a destination but on different paths.
    Lets all be supportive rather than defensive or anti. I think its great if ppl can feel good about a jelly doughnut and loose weight. I tried this and felt disgusting, but thats me.

Keto is much more common than a diet for seizures (and as practiced by most quite different from that specific diet which is higher fat and lower protein and carb than most doing keto for weight loss/maintenance or T2D control).

I also eat a mostly Med style diet, although I've gone from lower carb to higher than I was (still mostly around 40% but sometimes as high as 50%), and eat mostly plant-based (usually 100% about 5 days a week) and I feel good doing this (admittedly, I seem to feel good on any reasonable healthy diet when I'm exercising and sleeping decently). I think the importance of macros is often exaggerated, and I've felt fine doing lower fat too (not super low fat, I don't think that's ideal unless one has certain medical conditions and is supervised by a doctor). I am not low fat at all currently, and haven't been for ages. I find fat satisfying as part of a diet, although I think the type of fat is important.

These are my views and reading of current research, I don't insist I feel better than others who eat differently or push them as a superior way everyone else should understand and follow (which is what I think OP was likely doing).

Also, I see no reason why a Med diet or any other cannot include some just for fun foods whether it be cheese (although as noted I'm not eating much of that currently) or olive oil or -- not really that different -- some naan or occasional white pasta or ice cream or even a jelly donut.
    My vasis also is religious and SPIRITUAL too so its different than many I see post.

Oh? I would consider myself religious and that only affects my eating based on fast days, local/cultural traditions (like eat a paczki (I'm afraid it's a jelly donut) on Shrove Tuesday or often they are offered the whole week before Lent), and of course the idea that I should take good care of my body. But that doesn't mean never eating foods that are more for enjoyment than pure nutrition. I think feasting with family and friends and sharing good food is absolutely consistent with this, and does not require that I not have mashed potatoes and pie with Thanksgiving dinner.

I also will note that people who follow ANY diet insist that they now have energy, skin has cleared up, etc. I've been more and less restrictive and I'd think there was something wrong if I felt horrible just because I had a piece of my delicious homemade pie or if my skin broke out (which it doesn't) -- maybe a reason to think I had an allergy or intolerance or to check if there might be something psychosomatic going on.
  • VegjoyP
    edited June 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I don't like or put butter or ghee in coffee either and see all the different points and opinions. I do use protein powder and like the methodology she uses

I don't use protein powder, but have nothing against it. Just pointing out that if someone claims they avoid processed foods and eat protein powder, they have a misunderstanding of what processed means. We don't know what OP does now, as this thread is old and she's not around. (This is why it's usually pretty useless to jump into a discussion had 5 years ago with people not here.)
    My thinking was mire about how the majority of responses were so against having structure and not eating things many feel are actually good. There is no one answer.

I didn't read all the old responses, but I'm a little skeptical of that.

Personally, I find structure helpful for myself and usually recommend it to anyone struggling and asking for advice. I also believe that most longterm posters here do prioritize things like nutrition and satiety. You and I might (or might not) disagree about what a healthy diet looks like, but I am certainly concerned about and interested in the topic for myself and I think my ideas are consistent with good nutrition science and advice. (I don't consider the bulletproof coffee guy a good source, and that's what I believe OP was pushing.)
    I work in fitness, supplements and know the trends, fads and have seen people use every way they can to get to be where they want, then most fall back into old habits.

Then you should know the biggest problem is ridiculous and unnecessary advice peddled by diet gurus and fads.
    I was mainly struck by the similarity in experience going from vegan to low carb. Whats even more impressed upon me is how completely against the high fat plans I was until I started this sever add l months ago.
    Another thing is she is not full " keto" which is the rage right now. Keto was designed for medical, short term purposes as an aggressive approach for seisures.... That being said, I practice a Meditteranian style diet, not so much oil as monounsaturated foods. Its just like we are allgoingto a destination but on different paths.
    Lets all be supportive rather than defensive or anti. I think its great if ppl can feel good about a jelly doughnut and loose weight. I tried this and felt disgusting, but thats me.

Keto is much more common than a diet for seizures (and as practiced by most quite different from that specific diet which is higher fat and lower protein and carb than most doing keto for weight loss/maintenance or T2D control).

I also eat a mostly Med style diet, although I've gone from lower carb to higher than I was (still mostly around 40% but sometimes as high as 50%), and eat mostly plant-based (usually 100% about 5 days a week) and I feel good doing this (admittedly, I seem to feel good on any reasonable healthy diet when I'm exercising and sleeping decently). I think the importance of macros is often exaggerated, and I've felt fine doing lower fat too (not super low fat, I don't think that's ideal unless one has certain medical conditions and is supervised by a doctor). I am not low fat at all currently, and haven't been for ages. I find fat satisfying as part of a diet, although I think the type of fat is important.

These are my views and reading of current research, I don't insist I feel better than others who eat differently or push them as a superior way everyone else should understand and follow (which is what I think OP was likely doing).

Also, I see no reason why a Med diet or any other cannot include some just for fun foods whether it be cheese (although as noted I'm not eating much of that currently) or olive oil or -- not really that different -- some naan or occasional white pasta or ice cream or even a jelly donut.
    My vasis also is religious and SPIRITUAL too so its different than many I see post.

Oh? I would consider myself religious and that only affects my eating based on fast days, local/cultural traditions (like eat a paczki (I'm afraid it's a jelly donut) on Shrove Tuesday or often they are offered the whole week before Lent), and of course the idea that I should take good care of my body. But that doesn't mean never eating foods that are more for enjoyment than pure nutrition. I think feasting with family and friends and sharing good food is absolutely consistent with this, and does not require that I not have mashed potatoes and pie with Thanksgiving dinner.

I also will note that people who follow a better diet than what they were doing (for their body)will be excited and t have energy, skin has cleared up, etc. I've been more and less restrictive and I'd think there was something wrong if I felt horrible just because I had a piece of my delicious homemade pie or if my skin broke out (which it doesn't) -- maybe a reason to think I had an allergy or intolerance or to check if there might be something psychosomatic going on.

On the Bulletproof, I agree it is marketing, I am not 100 on the products at all, and was more fefering to lifestyle (Bulletproof not defending) . Yes keto was and used medicinally. We have a lot of doctors. Surgeons, etc we work with.

I think your post is great and wise. I simply enjoy my nutrition. I know its more than ok to have a " treat". Im not afraid to either. I just have such a passion for whst I am doing, most things honestly do not tempt me.

I also do not have family, kids or significant other or situations that would make me think about it. I have had treats and feel good about them. There are IMO things that are both special and healthy.( I love vegan/ GF raw cheesecake!)

People get results on a plan that gets them away from what is holding them back. I see it all the time too and that is pretty convincing for the plan they are on. If someone change habits for the better and limit calories, trigger foods, etc most likely skin clears, etc.

I did not mention other reasons for my choices; recovery from what are(were) supposed to be a non curable auto immune diseases, severe fungal skin conditions, clinical PTSD and IBS-C, What is working for me now is much different than what I did 5 years ago, or other times in my life. Our bodies change and often times our needs, what works.
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    Omg why make it so complicated ??? I got a headache from reading that. 💆🏾‍♀️💆🏾‍♀️💆🏾‍♀️

Lol! I pwrsonally have a passion for this but can totally laugh at this
    ..😂