Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Senior Golden Sneakers - October 2010

15678911»

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,257 Member
    Thank you Gigi for the product for your nails, I will definitely try it as my nails just don't grow since using acrylic nails. Birdie, that is exactly what happened to my cuticles, itchy, red and then they would start cracking. I did try several other shops but never thought to ask them not to put the cuticle oil on. I thought it might be from that little electric file they use, but your reasoning sounds more realistic. Funny how we support each other with any problem, so minor or very serious. :heart:

Barbie, CONGRATULATIONS on reaching your goal weight. :drinker: I don't think I am ever going to reach mine, I am just not as disciplined as you. :sad: I am not giving up but with the holidays coming I know it will be some weight gain, but I am going to try hard to be good. :love:

Marie, I don't watch baseball but I am routing for your Texas Rangers!! I love when the underdog wins. How is the scooter?

Gayla, I hope Neil is doing better and things are getting back to normal. Prayers still coming your way. :love: :flowerforyou: :heart:

I will be doing my back exercises and hopefully the stationary bike today because I want to go to my car and play with all the gadgets. :laugh: :laugh: For those of you with tech skills it downloads all my music CD's onto a hard drive so you don't have to carry all the CD's with you, very cool. Also want to program in all the new stations on the XM radio. Really, these are my problems of the day, hope yours are just as minor. :laugh:

Have a wonderful Saturday,
    Sandy
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    Barbie’s Homemade Applesauce

*as many apples (cored and sliced) as you need to fill a 4 quart pot
    *2 cups of water

1. Core and slice the apples (leave the skin on)
    2. Heat apples and water, covered, on high heat for 10 minutes
    3. Turn heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes
    4. Continue to heat on low, uncovered, for 40 minutes
    5. Serve warm, or cool in refrigerator, or put in glass jars, or plastic containers, or freezer bags to freeze for up to a year
    6. You can add cinnamon while cooking or make the applesauce plain and add cinnamon when you serve it.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Sandy, our motorhome had an XM radio/GPS/music player that would copy whole CDs just like your car and we loved it....I don't miss the motorhome as much as I miss that system....I know you will enjoy it

:flowerforyou: I finished 7 quarts of applesauce today and have barely made a dent in the apples.....now we're relaxing watching Game Three of the World Series.....the people in Texas seem to be having a great time.

:flowerforyou: no rain today so the dogs and I had a good walk at the dog park and I did a bit of puttering in the garden.
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member

:flowerforyou: no rain today so the dogs and I had a good walk at the dog park and I did a bit of puttering in the garden.
    :heart: :heart: :heart:

Barbie,
    Glad you had a good walk. Despite a weather report stating it wouldn't rain until this evening, all "your" rain came down HERE today:grumble: :ohwell: My "piglets" stayed in all day, except for a few quick trips to the back yard.

Just had a yummy dinner of green salad, broiled steak, acorn squash. I am now ready for a nap, except that I am watching the Ducks and USC beat up on each other, and it is a good game.

BTW, Marie, do I see you doing the happy dance after the Rangers' victory today?? Sorry Barbie, I know you are rooting for the Giants. At least it won't be a sweep now. I have always thought it must be very demoralizing to play well enough during the regular season to make it to the championship series and then not win a single game.

Good evening to all.

Barb
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    A very quick Hi to all. Not much has changed here. Ok, nothing has changed for Neil and he is getting very sad. I sat with him most of the day except for my runs to the washer/dryer. Tonight was the night he was supposed to go to the Halloween dance and he certainly didn't forget that. I offered to go with him but he didn't want to do that! Not that I blamed him, of course. His buddy was going out and it really upset him but after a little stomp to his bedroom he got over it and came back out to watch some TV with me. I was proud of him that he was able to get himself under control so quickly. As much as the no voice is annoying, it is really terrible not to be able to swallow liquids. He can't even go to the bar for a pop with his buddy even if he wasn't in a cast!!
    Otherwise all is good.

I will catch up with you all tomorrow. Have a Happy Hallowe'en! Take care. Gayla :heart:
  • Sandydur
    halloween-pumpkin-animated-gif12-source_nku.gif

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Gayla, you almost made me cry, poor Neil, I wish his throat would get better so he could at least drink and talk to you. :sad: How nice that he got under control so easily, he must love you so much. :heart: :heart:

Barb, you dinner sounds delicious and you are just like Barbie with your discipline, so proud of the both of you. :drinker:

Barbie, you apple sauce sounds easy to make, but I am not a canner. (wide open for a one liner :laugh: ) Wasn't that system great? Mine is also run off of voice commands, but it is hard to remember all the commands. :laugh:

Have a great Halloween with all the kiddies, I just love the little ones. We have long hours in our town, 1-6 so I will be busy getting up and down. The good thing is the weather is good 51 and sunny, so it should be a good day. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sandy
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Urg urg this is my day for losing my post so I will make this shortS
    Thanks Sandy for posting the lovely pumpkins.

Gayla It seems to me Neil attitude is changing too the good. Maybe because he is not hving those bad sizures.

He is a very smart boy and will learn to ommucating with you all. But hopefully it does not continue. When do you go back to the doctor for I know you have a bunch of questions for him.

Jeffrey how is you day going?

Barbie is happy with all of her apples

Barbs, is acorn squash a starches veggie and how do you cook it.?
    Look like the cowboys are playing like they have all year,
    The rangers play after this, It ought to be moer exciting At least I hope so.

To all the rest of you have a Happy Holloween Don't eat too much candy.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • weaklink109
    ....Barbs, is acorn squash a starches veggie and how do you cook it.?.....

Marie,

100 grams of it has 56 calories, 15 carbs, 4 grams fiber, 437 mg potassium,, 1 gram protein, 0 sugars

A russet potato, which most everyone considers to be starchy, is as follows:

100 grams has 97 calories, 21 carbs, 2 grams fiber, 550 mg potassium, and 3 grams of protein. 1 gram of sugar.

Since the same amount of squash has fewer carbs than a potato, and no natural sugar, I would guess it would be considered less starchy than a potato. I am not an expert. Hope this helps you figure out if it is something you can have.

See you all next month. Happy Halloween.

Barb
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Happy Halloween everyone!

Just got back from Chicago, Great weather and the Musical Play was fantastic, all had a great time and the dinnner was delicious,
    Drury Lane Theatre has a great combo Play and Dinner:tongue::tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Now is time to go to Bloomington to pick up our daugther, she gets in at 8:30 Can't wait, hope everyone has BOOO HALLOWEEN.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Have fun everyone.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gigi
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Hi,

I can't believe tomorrow is November, that is crazy the time is going so fast, the only good thing is I'm closer to retirement:laugh::laugh: :laugh: and that is a fact.

Hope everyone is well:heart::heart: :heart:

Gigi
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi everyone. We had a very nice day for the kids to be out for Hallowe'en. The turnout was low and I am guessing that may be due to it being on Sunday.

Marie -- Neil has an appt. to get his staples out tomorrow. I am glad because they are irritating him. On Wed. he sees his neurologist and I hope to get a referral to a throat Dr. at that time.

Sandy -- Do you have restrictions on when the kids can come for treats? I have never heard of places doing that but I can see where it could be a good idea. We don't have many come after about 7 anymore.

Gigi -- This time last year I was counting the days to retirement so I know exactly how you feel. Do you work right until the end of December? I had a lot of holidays to take so I took almost the month of December in holiday days. Enjoy your daughter!

I didn't take notes so just hope everyone else is well. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: we had 28 trick or treaters here tonight....we had the lights on from 5 PM to 8:30 PM....we meant to shut the lights off at 8 but we were watching the World Series and lost track of time.....last year we had 45 trick or treaters---was it the weather or Sunday? we don't know:huh: .....the quarters were a big hit :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: this afternoon I wore my pumpkin costume to the line dance party....there were a lot of treats but I ate only a modest portion of mixed nuts.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: and I danced all the dances during the three hours.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I don't "can" the applesauce......I freeze it ,primarily in canning jars because I have four boxes of them but also in other glass jars and some plastic containers and freezer bags

:flowerforyou: Gayla, I am sending extra hugs to you and Neil.:heart::heart: :heart: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched:
  • Sandydur
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Hi everyone ...can't believe I haven't been near the computer all week, but it's a first and I don't understand what I've been so busy about. Missed you all, and tomorrow I hope to catch up with all the posts I've missed!
    It's 1 AM and I can barely see, so goodnight, and I will try to post what I learned from my appointment with my nutritionist when I return. By the way, am I missing a whole week on this thread? Last one I could find was Hallowe'en! :yawn:
    Buzz
  • weaklink109
    Hi everyone ...can't believe I haven't been near the computer all week, but it's a first and I don't understand what I've been so busy about. Missed you all, and tomorrow I hope to catch up with all the posts I've missed!
    It's 1 AM and I can barely see, so goodnight, and I will try to post what I learned from my appointment with my nutritionist when I return. By the way, am I missing a whole week on this thread? Last one I could find was Hallowe'en! :yawn:
    Buzz

Buzz--You missed the message above your last post.... we have moved on to a new thread for November, per link below: