calories from fruit

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    OK I get the message some people have gone way over the top. I posted this for support but a lot of you have actually just made me feel crap.

relax. no one said anything hurtful. sorry that you came on here expecting a "yeah, thats a great idea because fruit is good for you!!" but actually, fruit has calories. it's a much better alternative to snack on fruit and have smoothies, instead of candy and chips, but it still has calories. lots of good stuff like fiber and vitamins, but still lots of calories.

track the fruit your eat one day, and just see if it's significant or not.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    My thought is that no one gets fat from eating too many fruits and veggies. It's all the other processed foods and fatty oils that cause you to gain weight and be unhealthy. Fruits and veggies are like cheat items in the way that it doesn't matter how much you eat.

THANK GOD !!! some one who thinks the same way as me !!!!

: )

so thats what you wanted? just someone who thinks like you to pat you on your back and make you believe that you're on the right track?
  • OmahaDad
    OmahaDad Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't think you could really gain much weight if any from eating nearly as much fruit as you wanted. Fresh organic fruit is the best.

But the sugar content and carbs could be a problem from fruit. I usually go over on sugar every day because of it. As long as I know it isn't processed sugar I feel fine
  • hannahlibertypink
    Options
    My thought is that no one gets fat from eating too many fruits and veggies. It's all the other processed foods and fatty oils that cause you to gain weight and be unhealthy. Fruits and veggies are like cheat items in the way that it doesn't matter how much you eat.

so thats what you wanted? just someone who thinks like you to pat you on your back and make you believe that you're on the right track?

no I wanted honest opinions.

but also to not think that I was insane in way of thoughts.

but some peoples comments - not yours btw. where very sarcastic and not needed.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If all you were eating was fruit and veg then yes you'd have to eat a lot of it to gain weight. But your body can't tell where the calorie surplus comes from so if you're 200 calories over, it doesn't matter whether those calories came from pizza or bananas, you'd still be at a surplus. I eat plenty of fruit but I always fit it into my overall calorie allowance for the day.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Why would you not count fruit? Are you assuming there are 0 calories in fruit? As what's already been said this is not WW. If you don't want to log fruit, there's no point logging at all...
  • hannahlibertypink
    Options
    I wish I had never asked, and its a shame as I wont be posting for advice in the future.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't drink juice, a single large apple or orange is around 100 calories. I'm personally a fruit lover, so 4 or 5 day is not uncommon for me. If I was not to count them, I would easily be underestimating my intake by as much as 500 calories. Just log everything you eat, from creamer to prime ribs.
  • hannahlibertypink
    Options
    If all you were eating was fruit and veg then yes you'd have to eat a lot of it to gain weight. But your body can't tell where the calorie surplus comes from so if you're 200 calories over, it doesn't matter whether those calories came from pizza or bananas, you'd still be at a surplus. I eat plenty of fruit but I always fit it into my overall calorie allowance for the day.

thank you. an good explanation. this is exactly what I was looking for.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

You stated you do something because it's your belief and were told you were wrong, there is no shame in being wrong...

I wish fruit was calorie free though, the average avocado I buy is 320 calories!!!!

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I wish I had never asked, and its a shame as I wont be posting for advice in the future.

But you got advice. The general consensus is that you should log fruit...

Remember that this is an open forum - if you ask a question you will get an answer, regardless of whether it's the answer you were looking for. People here respond to help and give honest, true advice. Don't take it as a personal attack
  • hannahlibertypink
    Options

You stated you do something because it's your belief and were told you were wrong, there is no shame in being wrong...

I wish fruit was calorie free though, the average avocado I buy is 320 calories!!!!

Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs

It was my belief - It felt nice that someone else thought the same.

clearly I am wrong as I wouldn't be so fat !! lol

I wanted help not people making sarcastic comments.

I will count the calories from now on.

It just felt ****ty the way some people's comments where. I thought this website was for support not ridicule.
  • hannahlibertypink
    Options

Remember that this is an open forum - if you ask a question you will get an answer, regardless of whether it's the answer you were looking for. People here respond to help and give honest, true advice. Don't take it as a personal attack

I want truth - not sarcasm or ridicule.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories from fruit, I eat as much as I Like (apart from banana's only 1 a day) I also drink a lot of smoothie's to keep my hunger at bay, and I don't count the calories from that either. what are peoples thoughts ??

Weight loss is about calories in/out at it's most fundamental level. You should log your fruit.

Nutrition is about what gets you those calories, keep eating fruit.

Also, don't fear Bananas. I'd really like to know where people started treating bananas like they are a bomb.. Bananas are good, especially on whole wheat bread with peanut butter and some honey. I perfer crunchy natural peanut butter, but that's me.

51HhXVrmw7L._SY300_.jpg

I think the issue with some people and bananas is that it tends to bind you up if you eat too much of them. My sone loves banans and would eat them all day but he can't or he can't go to the bathroom and it becomes a problem unfortunately.

And I personally love banana with PB and honey as well.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options

That's just not true ... anything you eat can be converted to fat if you are consuming more than you are burning. People once believed the myth that celery was a negative calorie food (i.e., that you burn more digesting it than it provides) but that has been shown to be false too.

Fatty oils are part of a healthy diet -- this is where you get omega-3s. They (and even processed foods) are not the lone culprit in weight gain -- the blame rests with the aggregate consumption over time of more calories than your body needs.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie....makes NO sense not to log it!! No such thing as a "freebie" LOG everything!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

It was my belief - It felt nice that someone else thought the same.

clearly I am wrong as I wouldn't be so fat !! lol

I wanted help not people making sarcastic comments.

I will count the calories from now on.

It just felt ****ty the way some people's comments where. I thought this website was for support not ridicule.

No one was ridiculing you though, people are supporting you by not sugar coating a practice which will be counter productive to your weight loss

• eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    OK I get the message some people have gone way over the top. I posted this for support but a lot of you have actually just made me feel crap.

People telling you to log fruit calories made you feel like crap? ummmm...ok!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I want truth - not sarcasm or ridicule.

you got truth and you inferred the sarcasm and ridicule.

The only one that made you feel good was that one that agreed with you and guess what they are wrong too.

And we disagreed with them.