Dairy Alarmism

Options

Replies

• hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    As to the common argument that we are the only species that consume milk from other species, there's also some evidence to refute that as well: http://www.mastozoologiamexicana.org/doi/10.12933/therya-10-14/therya-10-14

Wow! Thanks for the link.

I think the most fascinating bit of that paper was that not only were the feral cats stealing the milk, but also that gulls had been observed doing the same!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Dairy isn't NEEDED in the human diet. Calcium and other nutrients can be attained through other sources. That said, there's no ****ing way I'm giving up cheese, yogurt, and ice cream.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Dairy isn't NEEDED in the human diet. Calcium and other nutrients can be attained through other sources. That said, there's no ****ing way I'm giving up cheese, yogurt, and ice cream.

Yeah, it's very "neutral" in the diet, which neither "side" really wants to admit.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Why not try a month without dairy, and decide for yourself?

I did this, for about 3 months when I was dating a guy who thought drinking milk was tantamount to clubbing baby seals. I started drinking it again the day we broke up*. I felt good before the milk drinking stopped, I felt good while I wasn't drinking it and I felt good when I started drinking it again. My cereal, however, was much better post breakup. I'll continue to drink it because I like it the exact same way I continue to eat all the foods I like, just less of them as I move more.

*Though my sample size is ridiculously small, I will not be dating anyone else that has an unhealthy 'Spanish Inquisitor' approach to any food.

No specific food is NEEDED for the diet but variety IS the spice of life.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    No specific food is NEEDED for the diet but variety IS the spice of life.

^^This...
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My only question about dairy (and I am a huge ice cream lover) is that, at its foremost, it is food intended for a baby cow. Humans, as should come as no surprise, have nutrition requirements that are MILES away from a cow. Take a look at the constituents of bovine milk vs. human milk. It is pretty interesting. Is it the best thing to use dairy products formulated for a species so vastly different from our own? That is what makes me wonder. Of course, not when I eat my appropriate serving of Ben & Jerry's ice cream!

Edited to add: be wary when using the UDSA to evaluate meat and milk. The USDA's mission (at least one of them) is to promote our over-consumption of meat and dairy. That is why our food pyramids, for so long, has pushed meat, dairy, and cheese as particularly healthy. They are all loaded with saturated fats! There is a really good study out there about dairy, but I don't have my notes in front of me. I think it was the Nurses Heart research study or something like that. Try googling it. It is a real an eye opener about dairy.
    That's just downright logical. How dare you bring logic into a MFP forum. Be prepared, the dairy industry plants are about to try and discredit you......

The "dairy industry plants" Oh my gosh I am dying right now. Seriously, this is solid gold, the word logic next to such blatant conspiracy nonsense. God, I wish I was being paid by big dairy to sit around reading this crap on MFP.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Help a man out. Are there any legitimate dairy concerns, backed by a consensus of good research?

Unless you have an intolerance, no. I haven't seen anything beyond alarmism and agenda-pushing.

^ This. The arguments against dairy seem to range from the mildly amusing to the truly laughable.

+1

milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream....what's NOT to like?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I've heard a lot of the arguments against dairy milk, and I think some of them make sense. But I'm not so sure. So I started drinking less dairy milk. Instead of 3 to 5 cups daily, I now drink 1.5 cups in my morning smoothie. I then drink almond milk, coconut milk and soy milk the rest of the day.

Note: Soy milk was supposed to be good for you until it was supposed to be bad for you but now it's supposed to be good for you again unless maybe you're a female in which case it might still be bad for you. Unless it's not.

I don't want to drink too much of a bad thing. I would rather drink a little bit of a bad thing here and a little bit of a bad thing there.

Another note: The argument that dairy milk was intended for baby cows does make some sense to me, and that gets compounded when you consider the treatment of factory farmed animals. What I'm not clear on is coconut milk. Was my coconut milk supposed to go to baby coconuts?

I love chocolate soy milk, but discovered I can't digest it. Apparently that's a big problem for a lot of people.

Almond milk is low calorie but doesn't have the protein of dairy -- it's okay if you just want some liquid on your cereal, etc.

I don't have problems digesting dairy milk, but stopped drinking it because Georgetown Hospital doctors said a longterm diet raised your cancer risk (detailed in my post above).

I also agree with the baby cow statements -- dairy contains hormones intended for animals, plus I don't like the way factory farm animals are treated. I don't have to consume dairy. There are plenty of other foods out there.

If you can't go dairy, chocolate hemp milk FTW!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My only question about dairy (and I am a huge ice cream lover) is that, at its foremost, it is food intended for a baby cow. Humans, as should come as no surprise, have nutrition requirements that are MILES away from a cow. Take a look at the constituents of bovine milk vs. human milk. It is pretty interesting. Is it the best thing to use dairy products formulated for a species so vastly different from our own? That is what makes me wonder. Of course, not when I eat my appropriate serving of Ben & Jerry's ice cream!

Edited to add: be wary when using the UDSA to evaluate meat and milk. The USDA's mission (at least one of them) is to promote our over-consumption of meat and dairy. That is why our food pyramids, for so long, has pushed meat, dairy, and cheese as particularly healthy. They are all loaded with saturated fats! There is a really good study out there about dairy, but I don't have my notes in front of me. I think it was the Nurses Heart research study or something like that. Try googling it. It is a real an eye opener about dairy.
    That's just downright logical. How dare you bring logic into a MFP forum. Be prepared, the dairy industry plants are about to try and discredit you......

The "dairy industry plants" Oh my gosh I am dying right now. Seriously, this is solid gold, the word logic next to such blatant conspiracy nonsense. God, I wish I was being paid by big dairy to sit around reading this crap on MFP.
    If we're plants, doesn't that mean we're on the payroll? WHERE'S MY MONEY????
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Irony so heavy, even Sidesteel couldn't lift it.

tumblr_inline_mgxzzwkmUr1qdjae0.gif
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of the arguments against dairy milk, and I think some of them make sense. But I'm not so sure. So I started drinking less dairy milk. Instead of 3 to 5 cups daily, I now drink 1.5 cups in my morning smoothie. I then drink almond milk, coconut milk and soy milk the rest of the day.

Note: Soy milk was supposed to be good for you until it was supposed to be bad for you but now it's supposed to be good for you again unless maybe you're a female in which case it might still be bad for you. Unless it's not.

I don't want to drink too much of a bad thing. I would rather drink a little bit of a bad thing here and a little bit of a bad thing there.

Another note: The argument that dairy milk was intended for baby cows does make some sense to me, and that gets compounded when you consider the treatment of factory farmed animals. What I'm not clear on is coconut milk. Was my coconut milk supposed to go to baby coconuts?

I love chocolate soy milk, but discovered I can't digest it. Apparently that's a big problem for a lot of people.

Almond milk is low calorie but doesn't have the protein of dairy -- it's okay if you just want some liquid on your cereal, etc.

I don't have problems digesting dairy milk, but stopped drinking it because Georgetown Hospital doctors said a longterm diet raised your cancer risk (detailed in my post above).

I also agree with the baby cow statements -- dairy contains hormones intended for animals, plus I don't like the way factory farm animals are treated. I don't have to consume dairy. There are plenty of other foods out there.

I suppose, if you're ok with enslaving hemps and stealing their baby's food.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I suppose, if you're ok with enslaving hemps and stealing their baby's food.

I club baby hemp seeds with a rubber mallet!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Lol...I swear every other day on Yahoo health or whatever they call it, they have this kind of contradicting information. One day eggs will kill you, the next day they make you live forever. I just don't care anymore. I'll do what I want, see how it affects me, and go from there.

The media often misrepresents what studies actually say. It is best to investigate any such 'new' claims by looking at the primary research, or meta analysis addressing an issue to get a better idea. You can wait until it starts effecting you, but that might take years. :frown:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    See, and here I tried to start a thread last night about the evils of potatoes being forced on me by dairy queen and no one would listen! Clearly evil dairy conspiracies are just more fun! Now to guzzle my coffee with a liberal addition of half and half.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

That's not all. He also accused us of not having critical thinking skills, while posting a link to blatant anti-dairy propaganda.

2co1r92.jpg
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anything beyond alarmism and agenda-pushing.

it is in fact the dairy industry that is agenda-pushing by making people believe dairy is good for them. oh the money that can be made off gambling with other peoples health!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    it is in fact the dairy industry that is agenda-pushing by making people believe dairy is good for them. oh the money that can be made off gambling with other peoples health!

bunk-the-wire.gif
  • SpicesOfLife
    Options

bunk-the-wire.gif

*giggles*

in all seriousness though, people will always have different opinions, people will always put their trust and believes in different things. i can accept that and live with it so long as noone offends others too much! :)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

bunk-the-wire.gif

*giggles*

in all seriousness though, people will always have different opinions, people will always put their trust and believes in different things. i can accept that and live with it so long as noone offends others too much! :)

i wouldn't worry so much about Big Dairy...

...however, if you want to be worried, be worried about Big Brussels Sprouts. now *THAT* is a cabal with truly evil intentions. :angry:

4_1.jpg
  • SpicesOfLife
    Options

...however, if you want to be worried, be worried about Big Brussels Sprouts. now *THAT* is a cabal with truly evil intentions. :angry:

4_1.jpg

thats why we need to eat them quickly before they eat us!