Thinking about joining Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    are they geared toward serious lifters? maybe not.

are they marketing geniuses? definitely.

can some people get a great workout there? certainly.

going to pf beats sittin on a couch.

are they the cheapest? no. i go to golds...$10/mo.

PF is the nickelback of gyms...it's just trendy to hate it.

Brilliant! BTW, since when does Gold's cost $10.00 a month? Where have I been?

The Gold's I was at was $15.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    All I know is I get better exercise at home than I would at PF. My brother is a member because he is in sales and on the road. This way he can stay at less expensive hotels and have a gym to go to because they accept his membership all over the country. He doesn't even lift though, so it works for him.

I can see where a certain segment of people could benefit from PF, but it's definitely not for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness because as a Widow and Single Mom its what I can afford. The stories are myths. The people at the one I go to are kind and encouraging.

I get you, mom. The "fitness snobs" (those people with credit cards who can afford $200.00 a month for a gym membership) sometimes irk me. I don't dislike them at all but they don't understand about not being able to spend what I don't have.

I have no problem with Planet Fitness because it suits my budget and my fitness needs for now. If I ever outgrow the Planet, well, I will cross that bridge when I get there. My Planet is in the heart of ghetto and although there are some hootchie and honchos, it's not a bad place.

Get your bells, get your bars and your bench and do the best with what you have.

LOL...so it's either PF @ $10 and everyone else is paying $200 and a "fitness snob." I pay $15 and go to an privately owned, non commercial gym that is geared towards free weight lifters and those interested in boxing, MMA, and grappling.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness because as a Widow and Single Mom its what I can afford. The stories are myths. The people at the one I go to are kind and encouraging.

I get you, mom. The "fitness snobs" (those people with credit cards who can afford $200.00 a month for a gym membership) sometimes irk me. I don't dislike them at all but they don't understand about not being able to spend what I don't have.

I have no problem with Planet Fitness because it suits my budget and my fitness needs for now. If I ever outgrow the Planet, well, I will cross that bridge when I get there. My Planet is in the heart of ghetto and although there are some hootchie and honchos, it's not a bad place.

Get your bells, get your bars and your bench and do the best with what you have.

LOL...so it's either PF @ $10 and everyone else is paying $200 and a "fitness snob." I pay $15 and go to an privately owned, non commercial gym that is geared towards free weight lifters and those interested in boxing, MMA, and grappling.

I saw your post earlier about your gym and immediately thought about the shut down storage unit as you drive into my town. Someone could turn that into something awesome.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    planetfitnessnono-vi.jpg

wore this the other day at the gym. all I kept thinking is how I woulda been kicked out of a PF immediately.

Intimidating!
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Oh please. I could certainly afford a "fancy" gym that's not even close to $200/month if I wanted to but PF is closer than by 10-15 minutes than any of the other gyms around me. Sure you can say "Well I'd drive the extra 15 minutes to go to the fancy place" and yeah, I could but as it is my entire gym time including commute is close to 3 hours so that extra 15 minute drive would make a huge difference.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I like to lift heavy, work hard, proud of my accomplishments like you all and wouldn't join a gym without being able to squat and deadlift. But I still don't see the point of this ridiculous thread, besides some people making themselves look like idiots.

"Think I'll sign up and see how fast I get kicked out" "I'll put on my bad *kitten* bandana and get kicked out with you" "Stay at Planet "no gainz" so more weights for me, BRAH" "Getting a gift to help change your lifestyle and help you get healthy is like getting coal in your stocking" Really?

*shakes head, ponders what is wrong with people, why they care about something that doesn't matter to them, drinks sip of water, and realize some people just can't help looking like fools.*

Just go do you and worry about stuff that actually matters to you.

read the whole thread..some of those responses were responding to people saying anyone that does not go to PF and lifts heavy is an Ahole by default...

but way to cherry pick with zero contex....

I suppose what bothers me is the hard line between the two camps. I've been to Gold's Gym before and the folks there were great. I went with a friend of mine who felt nervous going alone. Turned out just fine. Now my wife goes to Planet Fitness and over a decade later, I decide to join her. I get in free as a guest whenever I go with her so that's a win. I have no idea what I'm doing with weights and both patrons and staff have been very helpful. Why can't you be serious about fitness and go to either one? There are some muscle bound dudes in the Planet Fitness I go to. I guess it is the absolutes and generalities that bother me.

I get that Planet Fitness isn't going to meet the needs of everyone. But it works for me and seemingly lots of other people. And at $10 a month, the savings are substantial. 50 pounds gone and maintained for almost 2 years.

Maybe you could just be happy that it's helping others reach their health and fitness goals and find a gym that's a better fit for you?

I don't go to any gym. But I like what you said. ^ Do what is good for you and leave everyone else alone.

I'm going to stick with this, too many people are missing the forest for the trees...

If PF's marketing practice wasn't to caricaturize individuals who take their training seriously and call them a lunk: a dull or stupid person; blockhead....an awkward, heavy, or stupid person; while calling themselves a "judgment free zone"...they'd catch far less hell here.

They mock every dang person who cares about what they do, whether it's lifting, running, pilates, yoga, zumba... Their marketing plan is "go to Planet Fitness where we eliminate zeal"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Oh please. I could certainly afford a "fancy" gym that's not even close to $200/month if I wanted to but PF is closer than by 10-15 minutes than any of the other gyms around me. Sure you can say "Well I'd drive the extra 15 minutes to go to the fancy place" and yeah, I could but as it is my entire gym time including commute is close to 3 hours so that extra 15 minute drive would make a huge difference.

more money doesn't mean fancy- and less doesn't mean it's a great "people's person" gym.

I drive to a gym that meets my needs and is convenient and local for me. I pay 25$ for my gym- and it's not fancy - but it's not a dive.

I drove over an hour one way to get to my dance studio though and I pay almost 200 a month to go to class there regularly. Why because it's specialized training and if I went to a local studio I wouldn't be getting a solid education or progressing my training.

People pay for what they want- and go out of their way for what they want. It has nothing to do with fancy- poor rich or anything else. it's all about priorities and what you want in your life.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    So bascially any gym that has heavy lifters are A__ H____ Gyms and "we" intimidate other people and are basic juice heads...and anyone that wears "hot pants" and a sports bra to workout in looks like an A__ ...

All coming from planet fitness members...interesting...

Ironic posts are ironic...

*shakes head, puts on hot pants, sports bra, tank top, drinks some juice and goes to lift something heavy*

and people wonder why PF gets made fun of....jeeez louise...

I suspect the posters who said these things are the type to complain to managment which are then forced to deal with someone who isn't doing anything wrong...

I never said that for the record
  • kailicarson
    Options
    Ha! Thinking about joining too. I find the dress code hilarious :laugh: because when I see a fit person, it just motivates me to get to that level. I guess everyone is different in this respect. Other than that, I think it's a good deal for all that workout equipment. If you join, let us know what you think and GO GET 'EM!!:flowerforyou: :glasses:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I doubt that they are myths. As I posted earlier in the thread, my brother has the "any PF" card and has visited a variety of them around the Midwest region. He has first-hand knowledge that *some* of them are "kind and encouraging" while others...not so much. They are franchises, and as such, they are managed individually.
  • RGv2
    Options
    So bascially any gym that has heavy lifters are A__ H____ Gyms and "we" intimidate other people and are basic juice heads...and anyone that wears "hot pants" and a sports bra to workout in looks like an A__ ...

*shakes head, puts on hot pants, sports bra, tank top, drinks some juice and goes to lift something heavy*

I suspect the posters who said these things are the type to complain to managment which are then forced to deal with someone who isn't doing anything wrong...

As pointed out before......

It's on the first page.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I doubt that they are myths. As I posted earlier in the thread, my brother has the "any PF" card and has visited a variety of them around the Midwest region. He has first-hand knowledge that *some* of them are "kind and encouraging" while others...not so much. They are franchises, and as such, they are managed individually.

Also, if you watch their ads it's easy to see that their corporate attitude isn't kind and encourage to people who care about their sport.
  • likitisplit
    Options

As pointed out before......

It's on the first page.

It's on the second page.
  • Platform_Heels
    Options

Bolded the part that everyone seems to overlook.

Again, my planet fitness is not one of those that tosses people out, yells at you for lifting heavy, bans dead lifts and squats. I've dead lifted right in front of the owner and managers and never got yelled at. I am fit, wear shorty shorts and tank tops and haven't gotten kicked out.

Different locations have different equipment and whoever runs them does so differently because again, they're a franchise. It's like any other franchise out there. Hence the reason when say there's something going on at a franchised business they state that "Prices and Participation may vary" because depending on who owns it they might not be running the same specials.

Edited to fix bolding and quote issues
  • RGv2
    Options

Bolded the part that everyone seems to overlook.

Again, my planet fitness is not one of those that tosses people out, yells at you for lifting heavy, bans dead lifts and squats. I've dead lifted right in front of the owner and managers and never got yelled at. I am fit, wear shorty shorts and tank tops and haven't gotten kicked out.

Different locations have different equipment and whoever runs them does so differently because again, they're a franchise. It's like any other franchise out there. Hence the reason when say there's something going on at a franchised business they state that "Prices and Participation may vary" because depending on who owns it they might not be running the same specials.

Edited to fix bolding and quote issues

Bolded....the part that everyone seems to overlook.
    If PF's marketing practice wasn't to caricaturize individuals who take their training seriously and call them a lunk: a dull or stupid person; blockhead....an awkward, heavy, or stupid person; while calling themselves a "judgment free zone"...they'd catch far less hell here.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Ok. So let's just lay it out there so we can all take sides and load up on hyperbole and sarcasm.

'Roided-out tank topped, grunty-types, step to the left. Further. Closer to the free weights.

Sissy pants cardio people, move to the right. By the ellipticals.

I will place the dodgeball here in the middle...

referee-blowing-whistle-7214457.jpg
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    planetfitnessnono-vi.jpg

wore this the other day at the gym. all I kept thinking is how I woulda been kicked out of a PF immediately.

Nearly everyone at the PF I go to dresses like this. No one cares.
  • Platform_Heels
    Options
    planetfitnessnono-vi.jpg

Nearly everyone at the PF I go to dresses like this. No one cares.

Yup. Hell there was a girl who was wearing a shirt that said "Itty Bitty Titty Committee" the other day and she had on tight little shorts.
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness. For people like me on a budget it works. They are affordable, the one I go to is very clean and the employees are very friendly and helpful. I've never seen anyone get treated badly, ridiculed or chastised. The one I go to is also a decent sized gym so it has a lot of equipment and I never have had to wait for a treadmill. They have an excellent variety of machines and seem to get new equipment in on a regular basis. I also mentor high school girls and with their black card membership I can take any of my girls withme anytime so I often have a young lady with me who wouldn't otherwise be able to go because their families can't afford it. They are what they are, they make no apologies for what they are. If it doesn't work for you, well then there are a ton of other options out there. Not every shoe is going to fit every person.