Thinking about joining Planet Fitness

Options
12345679»

Replies

• cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

LOL, ok then.

You obviously have never lived in the desert. When its 120 degrees out, it doesn't matter what the temp in the gym is, it's hot. The big industrial fans are going and you have the little fan on the treadmill at full blast yet it still feels just as hot inside as it does outside. This has been true of several gyms I've belonged to. When I lived in the midwest, yah the gyms were cooler in the summer. In the desert, not so much.

Currently I don't belong to a gym, I run outside, in the 120 degree heat. Yes, I try to go in the mornings on weekends or at dusk during the week but it doesn't matter. The low is still 90-100. It never really cools down in the desert in the summer, which is like 6 months of heat. Most people I see out are wearing as little as possible.

When I was in dance we wore tights and leotards, maybe a ballet skirt. You know, so you and your teacher could see exactly what you were doing/had good form.

But...

EVERYONE!!!!! LOOK AT ME! I AM SUCH A SHOWOFF! :laugh:

Yeah so pretty sure this thread was about gyms? Not what you choose to wear outside of the gym?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Sidenote: Work out attire... I personally don't enjoy it when people wear inappropriate clothing (such as only underthings like sports bras and hot pants), however, it's their right to look like an *kitten*. I know when I see men and women in outfits like that (at the gym OR at yoga) it's all about the show and not so much the work. And I just tune them right on out.

:laugh: So wearing "hot pants" and a sports bra to workout is "looking like an *kitten*"? MMmmkay.

I have short shorts that I wear in the summer because they're comfortable. I also wear tank tops over my sports bra and sometimes I'll (gasp) pull my tank top up a bit and tie it on the side because it gets incredibly annoying when it's hanging down. It doesn't mean I'm working out any less or "showing off" nor do I "look like an *kitten*". I like to see my muscles working when I lift.

Based on what you said I'm guessing this is your workout attire:

th_bandfront_zps37f24dfa.jpg

Leggings and a tank top. Just as comfortable as short shorts. Just own it if you want to show off.

I would say leggings is trying to show it off just as much as short shorts (and probably less comfortable).....just say'n.

But I work out in sleeveless shirts, so I'm obviously showing it off.

Leggings are not "just as comfortable as short shorts" when it's hot out. And I agree that leggings show it off just as much as short shorts so unless you're wearing what the picture depicts then no matter what you put on you're "showing off"

for me they are- so I think it's a matter of personal opinion.

I hate shorts- I hate running in shorts- I hate doing ANYTHING in shorts- my *kitten* eats them and causes all sorts of discomfort- if I was wearing shorts- it would be those fitted booty short ones which would be the same as leggings- only shorter.

I do not wear leggings to show off- it works for my body type- and doesn't get in the way of my lifting- or bother me with flapping material- has nothing to do with showing off. Also like running sans shirt- but only will do that in a safe place and no longer on my streets since it's not a place I feel okay doing so.
    The big industrial fans are going and you have the little fan on the treadmill at full blast yet it still feels just as hot inside as it does outside.
    I love how people assume a gym even though it has SOME AC- is going to battle the heat outside- and the fact that there are upwards of 100+ bodies possibly generating heat INSIDE... industrial fans get drug out- and all they do is make it noisy and push the smell around LOL- at that point running in the pure heat is almost a better option!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

LOL, ok then.

You obviously have never lived in the desert. When its 120 degrees out, it doesn't matter what the temp in the gym is, it's hot. The big industrial fans are going and you have the little fan on the treadmill at full blast yet it still feels just as hot inside as it does outside. This has been true of several gyms I've belonged to. When I lived in the midwest, yah the gyms were cooler in the summer. In the desert, not so much.

Currently I don't belong to a gym, I run outside, in the 120 degree heat. Yes, I try to go in the mornings on weekends or at dusk during the week but it doesn't matter. The low is still 90-100. It never really cools down in the desert in the summer, which is like 6 months of heat. Most people I see out are wearing as little as possible.

When I was in dance we wore tights and leotards, maybe a ballet skirt. You know, so you and your teacher could see exactly what you were doing/had good form.

But...

Yeah so pretty sure this thread was about gyms? Not what you choose to wear outside of the gym?

That you missed her point doesn't negate the fact that it was there.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

LOL, ok then.

But...

I was pointing out the correlation that in the summer here it doesn't matter if you are inside or outside working out; it is the same thing. Trying to show that it gets incredibly hot here. But I guess that point was missed.

Bottom line: I am not going to buy seperate gym attire because someone might be offended that I choose not to be overheated. I wear workout attire that allows me to stay as cool as possible, move well and be able to check my form. Its not like I am showing up in a bikini or my underwear.

I never spent my time at the gym observing what others wore. I worked out.

But then again, I've never felt intimidated at the gym so I couldn't care less what people wear or do at the gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

But then again, I've never felt intimidated at the gym so I couldn't care less what people wear or do at the gym.

what a novel concept.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

But if everybody did that then there wouldn't be 8,000,000,000,000,000 a day on what someone saw at the gym and how irritating it is.:laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I wear workout attire that allows me to stay as cool as possible, move well and be able to check my form. Its not like I am showing up in a bikini or my underwear.

Bingo! If you think I'm there to show off, you should examine the way you reflect your own reality.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    They gym isn't your bedroom or your bathroom or the beach. It's a public place. Wear what you want in your own home. Leggings cover my skin but show my shape so I can watch my alignment, much like lifters like to wear sleeveless tops so they can check their alignment. I exercise in a room that is 80 degrees or outside in Costa Rica. Leggings were not a problem. Most people wore them. I have no issue with form fitting items. No one is saying wear a mumu. Ugh. I have no issues with sleeveless items or shorts. It's when it's no more than underwear (just a bra and hot pants/boy shorts) that I think it's inappropriate and more for showing off than for function or comfort.

Somebody hasn't read all the threads about the guys loving the yoga pants...

Or is being disingenuous about the effect of her workout attire.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    planetfitnessnono-vi.jpg

wore this the other day at the gym. all I kept thinking is how I woulda been kicked out of a PF immediately.

Nearly everyone at the PF I go to dresses like this. No one cares.

no one cares....except all the people who dont go to PF for some reason
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    planetfitnessnono-vi.jpg

wore this the other day at the gym. all I kept thinking is how I woulda been kicked out of a PF immediately.

Nearly everyone at the PF I go to dresses like this. No one cares.

no one cares....except all the people who dont go to PF for some reason

So how long have you been a member at PF?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Last night someone dropped some massive weight, I think it was the leg sled? Anyway, the lunk alarm still didn't go off. I'm really disappointed that my PF isn't giving me anything to complain about.