Thinking about joining Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness because as a Widow and Single Mom its what I can afford. The stories are myths. The people at the one I go to are kind and encouraging.

In...

...just because I know ^this is bogus. PF corporate policy and the implementation of it at *one* PF location are not always on the same page...yet...but they are certainly working to remedy this as quickly as they can.

Also, since when is implementing corporate policy not "kind and encouraging"?

Anyhow, in for the PF discussion. I love these threads.

ETA: Also, call me a conspiracy theorist, but I suspect some of the most famous stories from PF weren't just happy accidents but intentional...(and if not intentional, then at least not actively fought against). If I worked in the PF marketing department/management, I would look for these publicity opportunities. For every "lunkhead" who is outraged by these stories, there are dozens in their primary target market whose interest will be piqued by them.
  • Lawngirl296
    Lawngirl296 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Been going for a few years, never had any problems and it is a good "basic" gym. Cheap enough too that you can switch with a crossfit gym or boxing gym to mix it up.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    If I recall correctly, I believe they have "pizza night" monthly.

I'll pass.

If I had a PF nearby, this would actually be on my "pro" side of why I would consider joining.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I am a member. Its $10 a month and fairly easy to ignore the tootsie rolls and free pizza once a month. Facilities are clean. No lines for the equipment. I dare say most gringas are there for the tanning.

It's better than the Anytime Fitness ($45/month) I was a member of who pushed 400 calorie "health" smoothies daily and had "lunk" type employees roaming around "encouraging" people to "push it! push it! push it!"

But I have never heard the lunk alarm and everyone, employees included, seem to be in on the joke. Weight lifters are left to do their thing without harassment or condescension.

Both places had questionable "trainers."

They all have their ups and downs.

I've been going to Anytime Fitness for 3 years. Over the course of those 3 years, I've used 5 different facilities. I've never encountered a gym with the smoothie problem OR employees ("lunk" or otherwise) who walked around commenting to people. I've only gotten a "Hi, how are you today?" from the employees at all locations. They mind their own unless they're asked otherwise. And they charge more to deter the customers who are going to the gym for a 35-minute gossip session on the treadmill, taking up space that people who are serious about working out actually use for a purpose.

ETA- Even if the employees are walking around telling members to "push-it", what is wrong with that? It's a thing called *encouragement*. It's just not the "judgement-free" tootsie roll kind.
  • badgerdh
    badgerdh Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of PF for over a year. I joined because the SNAP fitness by my house was dirty and never staffed. PF was cheap, close to my house, staffed 24 hours, clean and had everything I wanted. I do about 65/35 cardio/weights and have never had a problem. I've seen lots of tight clothing ect..and never seen anyone get warned or booted. I've probably heard the "lunk" alarm go off like twice in a year.

I did not join because of their motto or pizza or whatever the hell else they advertise. I could care less what people dress like or think of me when I go. I put in my music and I go to work that's it.

Just like any other franchise, some are good some are bad...I love where I go and will continue to go there.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    MFP forums are so bizarre.

A few people say something noteworthy.

Someone points it out.

A half dozen people think it's relevant to point out that they never said what was pointed out.

Huh? :huh:

Okay, *you* may not have said it, but someone did. How does commenting that *you* didn't say it refute the hypocrisy that is being highlighted??

(I sometimes wish MFP required new members to pass a basic logic test...but that would be like gyms turning away new members.)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I get that Planet Fitness isn't going to meet the needs of everyone. But it works for me and seemingly lots of other people. And at $10 a month, the savings are substantial. 50 pounds gone and maintained for almost 2 years.

Maybe you could just be happy that it's helping others reach their health and fitness goals and find a gym that's a better fit for you?

Honestly, if PF's marketing practice wasn't to caricaturize individuals who take their training seriously and call them a lunk: a dull or stupid person; blockhead....an awkward, heavy, or stupid person; while calling themselves a "judgment free zone"...they'd catch far less hell here.

This really is the only problem I have with PF. They claim to be judgement free but are judgemental themselves. I did go as a guest with a friend just last week to the one near me and I had a pleasant experience, I won't be joining but they do offer lots of equipment and it is great for those starting out or aren't out to lift as heavy as they can. I applaud anyone who gets to any gym instead of sitting on the couch.....
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I am a member. Its $10 a month and fairly easy to ignore the tootsie rolls and free pizza once a month. Facilities are clean. No lines for the equipment. I dare say most gringas are there for the tanning.

It's better than the Anytime Fitness ($45/month) I was a member of who pushed 400 calorie "health" smoothies daily and had "lunk" type employees roaming around "encouraging" people to "push it! push it! push it!"

But I have never heard the lunk alarm and everyone, employees included, seem to be in on the joke. Weight lifters are left to do their thing without harassment or condescension.

Both places had questionable "trainers."

They all have their ups and downs.

I've been going to Anytime Fitness for 3 years. Over the course of those 3 years, I've used 5 different facilities. I've never encountered a gym with the smoothie problem OR employees ("lunk" or otherwise) who walked around commenting to people. I've only gotten a "Hi, how are you today?" from the employees at all locations. They mind their own unless they're asked otherwise. And they charge more to deter the customers who are going to the gym for a 35-minute gossip session on the treadmill, taking up space that people who are serious about working out actually use for a purpose.

ETA- Even if the employees are walking around telling members to "push-it", what is wrong with that? It's a thing called *encouragement*. It's just not the "judgement-free" tootsie roll kind.

Dammit! I chose a side without even realizing it. Why can't I be impartial and reasonable? I'm out.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness because as a Widow and Single Mom its what I can afford. The stories are myths. The people at the one I go to are kind and encouraging.

I doubt that they are myths. As I posted earlier in the thread, my brother has the "any PF" card and has visited a variety of them around the Midwest region. He has first-hand knowledge that *some* of them are "kind and encouraging" while others...not so much. They are franchises, and as such, they are managed individually.

Also, if you watch their ads it's easy to see that their corporate attitude isn't kind and encourage to people who care about their sport.

Exactly. Since my brother only goes to use the elliptical, he's relatively safe...until he hits goal weight and starts wearing shorts, I guess. :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness. For people like me on a budget it works. They are affordable, the one I go to is very clean and the employees are very friendly and helpful. I've never seen anyone get treated badly, ridiculed or chastised. The one I go to is also a decent sized gym so it has a lot of equipment and I never have had to wait for a treadmill. They have an excellent variety of machines and seem to get new equipment in on a regular basis. I also mentor high school girls and with their black card membership I can take any of my girls withme anytime so I often have a young lady with me who wouldn't otherwise be able to go because their families can't afford it. They are what they are, they make no apologies for what they are. If it doesn't work for you, well then there are a ton of other options out there. Not every shoe is going to fit every person.

that's because 3/4 of that facility is made up of cardio equipment. That would be like saying you had to wait to go run outside.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness. For people like me on a budget it works. They are affordable, the one I go to is very clean and the employees are very friendly and helpful. I've never seen anyone get treated badly, ridiculed or chastised. The one I go to is also a decent sized gym so it has a lot of equipment and I never have had to wait for a treadmill. They have an excellent variety of machines and seem to get new equipment in on a regular basis. I also mentor high school girls and with their black card membership I can take any of my girls withme anytime so I often have a young lady with me who wouldn't otherwise be able to go because their families can't afford it. They are what they are, they make no apologies for what they are. If it doesn't work for you, well then there are a ton of other options out there. Not every shoe is going to fit every person.

that's because 3/4 of that facility is made up of cardio equipment. That would be like saying you had to wait to go run outside.

if there is a line for the treadmill do you wait in line or just run outside???
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I don't run on treadmills. soooo um...neither?
    If I must run-I run outside. I either do the stairmaster- the spin bike thing- rowing- jump roping or running/sprints outside. I really can't do the treadmill anymore.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Sidenote: Work out attire... I personally don't enjoy it when people wear inappropriate clothing (such as only underthings like sports bras and hot pants), however, it's their right to look like an *kitten*. I know when I see men and women in outfits like that (at the gym OR at yoga) it's all about the show and not so much the work. And I just tune them right on out.

Or because it's hot (temperature wise).

I have never worn much when working out because I get warm quickly. And I live in a desert. If its 120 degrees out, I am wearing as little as possible. But I guess maybe I am just showing off?

Right. You're showing off. I doubt your gym is 120 degrees.
  • cici1028
    Options

Sidenote: Work out attire... I personally don't enjoy it when people wear inappropriate clothing (such as only underthings like sports bras and hot pants), however, it's their right to look like an *kitten*. I know when I see men and women in outfits like that (at the gym OR at yoga) it's all about the show and not so much the work. And I just tune them right on out.

:laugh: So wearing "hot pants" and a sports bra to workout is "looking like an *kitten*"? MMmmkay.

I have short shorts that I wear in the summer because they're comfortable. I also wear tank tops over my sports bra and sometimes I'll (gasp) pull my tank top up a bit and tie it on the side because it gets incredibly annoying when it's hanging down. It doesn't mean I'm working out any less or "showing off" nor do I "look like an *kitten*". I like to see my muscles working when I lift.

Based on what you said I'm guessing this is your workout attire:

th_bandfront_zps37f24dfa.jpg

Leggings and a tank top. Just as comfortable as short shorts. Just own it if you want to show off.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

:laugh: So wearing "hot pants" and a sports bra to workout is "looking like an *kitten*"? MMmmkay.

I have short shorts that I wear in the summer because they're comfortable. I also wear tank tops over my sports bra and sometimes I'll (gasp) pull my tank top up a bit and tie it on the side because it gets incredibly annoying when it's hanging down. It doesn't mean I'm working out any less or "showing off" nor do I "look like an *kitten*". I like to see my muscles working when I lift.

Leggings and a tank top. Just as comfortable as short shorts. Just own it if you want to show off.

I would say leggings is trying to show it off just as much as short shorts (and probably less comfortable).....just say'n.

But I work out in sleeveless shirts, so I'm obviously showing it off.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

It depends on a lot of things: Right now I'm training for a duathlon so it would be depend on if it was my running day. If it was then I'd skip it at the gym and do it at home. If I did it at home is it 30 below zero or is it 60+ and sunny? If it's 60+ and sunny then I would go outside to run. If not then I'd use my treadmill in the house. Also am I doing a brick and if so how far do I have to go and would it be easier to just do it inside?

If I just felt like running for that particular day but it wasn't a designated "running day" I'd just hop on a different machine.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

I would say leggings is trying to show it off just as much as short shorts (and probably less comfortable).....just say'n.

But I work out in sleeveless shirts, so I'm obviously showing it off.

Leggings are not "just as comfortable as short shorts" when it's hot out. And I agree that leggings show it off just as much as short shorts so unless you're wearing what the picture depicts then no matter what you put on you're "showing off"
  • cici1028
    Options
    They gym isn't your bedroom or your bathroom or the beach. It's a public place. Wear what you want in your own home. Leggings cover my skin but show my shape so I can watch my alignment, much like lifters like to wear sleeveless tops so they can check their alignment. I exercise in a room that is 80 degrees or outside in Costa Rica. Leggings were not a problem. Most people wore them. I have no issue with form fitting items. No one is saying wear a mumu. Ugh. I have no issues with sleeveless items or shorts. It's when it's no more than underwear (just a bra and hot pants/boy shorts) that I think it's inappropriate and more for showing off than for function or comfort.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    They gym isn't your bedroom or your bathroom or the beach. It's a public place. Wear what you want in your own home. Leggings cover my skin but show my shape so I can watch my alignment, much like lifters like to wear sleeveless tops so they can check their alignment. I exercise in a room that is 80 degrees or outside in Costa Rica. Leggings were not a problem. Most people wore them. I have no issue with form fitting items. No one is saying wear a mumu. Ugh. I have no issues with sleeveless items or shorts. It's when it's no more than underwear (just a bra and hot pants/boy shorts) that I think it's inappropriate and more for showing off than for function or comfort.

Great, you exercise in a room that's 80 degrees or outside in Costa Rica...

I live in Minnesota. It was a balmy 45 degrees for my run on Thursday, and I was into shorts and t-shirt already. When it get's hot the club is hot...no matter the AC.

Either way, the gym isn't a public place, it's a private club. Your complaint should be with ownership allows in their private club, not what someone else is wearing if it meets their dress code.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Or because it's hot (temperature wise).

I have never worn much when working out because I get warm quickly. And I live in a desert. If its 120 degrees out, I am wearing as little as possible. But I guess maybe I am just showing off?

Right. You're showing off. I doubt your gym is 120 degrees.

LOL, ok then.

You obviously have never lived in the desert. When its 120 degrees out, it doesn't matter what the temp in the gym is, it's hot. The big industrial fans are going and you have the little fan on the treadmill at full blast yet it still feels just as hot inside as it does outside. This has been true of several gyms I've belonged to. When I lived in the midwest, yah the gyms were cooler in the summer. In the desert, not so much.

Currently I don't belong to a gym, I run outside, in the 120 degree heat. Yes, I try to go in the mornings on weekends or at dusk during the week but it doesn't matter. The low is still 90-100. It never really cools down in the desert in the summer, which is like 6 months of heat. Most people I see out are wearing as little as possible.

When I was in dance we wore tights and leotards, maybe a ballet skirt. You know, so you and your teacher could see exactly what you were doing/had good form.

But...

EVERYONE!!!!! LOOK AT ME! I AM SUCH A SHOWOFF! :laugh: