Does my morning coffee count

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What other old myths, do you beleive MFP 'push' on people?

MFP's macro recommendations are pretty silly.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if MFP pushes it on people but the 'starvation mode' seems to be a popular myth many here believe.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if MFP pushes it on people but the 'starvation mode' seems to be a popular myth many here believe.
    Actually, yes, MFP does. If you close out your diary below 1,200 calories, you get a message that basically screams, "STARVATION MODE! DANGER! DANGER!"
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Yeah, coffee has water... but so does fruit. Do you log your orange or apple as water intake? Personally, if a beverage has calories and macros, it's logged as a food or in my 'non-water beverages' category. The only things I count as water for the purposes of hydration are actual water and unsweetened, caffeine free hot tea. If I add honey or agave to my tea, I log it in my beverage category.

But, to each their own.

Well, cake has moisture so ergo has water which means it can be logged as water intake not food <snicker>. I'm sure that is the thought process for some. At any rate, I agree with you that a beverage with calories and macros should be logged in another category than water. It's easy to set up a category for beverages then log water separately.

What's the problem with logging the coffee in your diary, and also logging that intake in the water section?

I can't speak for the person below my post, but as I said, to each their own. I don't, because before I made an effort to drink more water, I was drinking more coffee, soda and juice than I currently do water; I was ingesting roughly the same number of ounces of fluid a day, but my urine was not the pale yellow it is now. That tells me some fashion of hydration is lost in the processing of that fluid.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Yeah, coffee has water... but so does fruit. Do you log your orange or apple as water intake? Personally, if a beverage has calories and macros, it's logged as a food or in my 'non-water beverages' category. The only things I count as water for the purposes of hydration are actual water and unsweetened, caffeine free hot tea. If I add honey or agave to my tea, I log it in my beverage category.

But, to each their own.

Well, cake has moisture so ergo has water which means it can be logged as water intake not food <snicker>. I'm sure that is the thought process for some. At any rate, I agree with you that a beverage with calories and macros should be logged in another category than water. It's easy to set up a category for beverages then log water separately.

What's the problem with logging the coffee in your diary, and also logging that intake in the water section?

I can't speak for the person below my post, but as I said, to each their own. I don't, because before I made an effort to drink more water, I was drinking more coffee, soda and juice than I currently do water; I was ingesting roughly the same number of ounces of fluid a day, but my urine was not the pale yellow it is now. That tells me some fashion of hydration is lost in the processing of that fluid.
    But the question wasn't "what do you do?" It was "can I do this?"

And if she wants to click off a water on her ticker for her coffee, she can. Others choosing not to (which is fine) doesn't have any bearing on whether someone else can count it.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

But, to each their own.

And if she wants to click off a water on her ticker for her coffee, she can. Others choosing not to (which is fine) doesn't have any bearing on whether someone else can count it.

So what you're saying is, "yes, yes you can" is the only acceptable response to this topic. Should've posted that on the first page... might've saved a lot of time and comments and snottiness up in here!!!! :laugh:

ETA: my post responding to Jonnythan's question regarding logging it and counting as water was just that- a response to his question. :drinker:
  • rml_16
    Options

But, to each their own.

So what you're saying is, "yes, yes you can" is the only acceptable response to this topic. Should've posted that on the first page... might've saved a lot of time and comments and snottiness up in here!!!! :laugh:

ETA: my post responding to Jonnythan's question regarding logging it and counting as water was just that- a response to his question. :drinker:
    Gotcha. :-)

"Yes you can" is the only accurate response, but saying it wouldn't stop the debate. Several of us did say it and then were told, "but only pure water counts!"

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me where they find pure water ...
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I dont count coffee and other drinks that have water as part of my water intake for about the same reason I dont include chores that exert the body as exercise.
    Some will log anything other than normal sitting around as "exercise".
    I just call it the cost of doing business. If it helps in the long run, which it does, then that is a bonus. Like last night I cleaned the garage out with box after box after box..many heavy. It was a decent workout but wont include that in any log to eat back calories or anything....just consider it a bonus.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes, it counts as fluid. The amount of caffeine in your cup of coffee/tea isn't enough to counteract the fluid intake. The myth of not being able to count other beverages as fluid intake has been busted over and over. Count it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I don't count it is water. Caffeine is a diuretic and a stimulant and the point of tracking water is for hydration purposes, so I think I am better off not counting it as water.

This
    Is not accurate.
  • mishtery
    mishtery Posts: 148
    Options
    In a hospital setting input and output of all beverages is recorded.

As for calories that's a different issue. In hospital we are not measuring calories. Reckon this topic could go on forever ;)

OP asked if her morning coffee counted toward her water intake for the day. It does. The main ingredient is water. You and a couple other folks seem to be assuming that it would be breaking some unspoken MFP rule to log your coffee or other drink in your food diary and THEN click on your water tracker to update it. You literally can do both of these!! The water tracker is a completely different tool. For the love of calorie counting, we aren't saying to not log the coffee!! We aren't saying that coffee doesn't have calories! We were just answering the OP's question with a "Yes".

At least that's the way I interpreted the question. I see OP has not returned. Lol!

some where I also said you can add it to your water also but I add it to my calories. I also didn't say it was breaking a rule. Think some of you need to go add some chocolate or something to calm down a bit. I ad it as calories.That is all..we all do it differently. Simple! Maybe op hasn't come back because the topic has gotten out of hand. Wise move op. I'm doing the same...I dislike serious stuff.
  • rml_16
    Options
    In a hospital setting input and output of all beverages is recorded.

As for calories that's a different issue. In hospital we are not measuring calories. Reckon this topic could go on forever ;)

OP asked if her morning coffee counted toward her water intake for the day. It does. The main ingredient is water. You and a couple other folks seem to be assuming that it would be breaking some unspoken MFP rule to log your coffee or other drink in your food diary and THEN click on your water tracker to update it. You literally can do both of these!! The water tracker is a completely different tool. For the love of calorie counting, we aren't saying to not log the coffee!! We aren't saying that coffee doesn't have calories! We were just answering the OP's question with a "Yes".

At least that's the way I interpreted the question. I see OP has not returned. Lol!

some where I also said you can add it to your water also but I add it to my calories. I also didn't say it was breaking a rule. Think some of you need to go add some chocolate or something to calm down a bit. I ad it as calories.That is all..we all do it differently. Simple! Maybe op hasn't come back because the topic has gotten out of hand. Wise move op. I'm doing the same...I dislike serious stuff.
    Apparently you have me on ignore, but I'm responding, anyway.

You said in your very first post that no one should add coffee to the water ticker because it has calories and therefore should be logged under food. So, yeah, you did say that.

And you continually come in here and respond to people who are only trying to clarify for the OP that one can do both with personal insults and nasty comments about how you have a life and we should get one or that we're all "hungry" or "need a beer/cookie/whatever." And then you tell us we're taking it too seriously, even though -- at least mine -- comments are sarcastic and humorous and only trying to be clear that coffee can count as a water serving, since that's what the OP wanted to know and people like you keep muddying the answer and making it far more complicated than it is.

We all need a life and are taking things too seriously and are hangry, but you keep coming back and commenting, so pot meet kettle.
  • mishtery
    Options
    I have not once insulted anyone. I also said like others I add it to my calories.you don't insult? You mentioned I was unattractive and you slso stated I maybe of another gender.funny cos I have given birth to 5 kids.i don't believe guys can birth. You have done nothing but attack me. Quit it!
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water..
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I don't count my coffee as water (but drink it black with nothing at all added)
  • rml_16
    Options
    I have not once insulted anyone. I also said like others I add it to my calories.you don't insult? You mentioned I was unattractive and you slso stated I maybe of another gender.funny cos I have given birth to 5 kids.i don't believe guys can birth. You have done nothing but attack me. Quit it!
    I said you were not the gender I'm attracted to, not that you were unattractive in general. And I said your inability to recognize humor was unattractive to me, which has nothing to do with physical appearance. I like people with a sense of humor -- a real one, anyway.

And I said all of that AFTER you made your comments about people being "hangry" and "too serious" in direct response to my post pointing out the inaccuracies in your own directly related to the topic at hand and not as personal insults or criticisms.

You might want to go back and re-read the exchange before you comment again.

And I recognize you from when you have done this exact same thing before in other threads.
  • mishtery
    Options
    I add my coffee and tea into my food log. not water as it does have calories.

my original post apparently I attacked people hmm..
  • rml_16
    Options

OMG

No one said you attacked anyone in your original post. But I'm starting to see the problem here.
  • mishtery
    Options
    :smile:
  • mishtery
    Options

OMG

No one said you attacked anyone in your original post. But I'm starting to see the problem here.
    you did good bye