Diet Coke Cake?

Options

Replies

• loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    Options
    You can also use just seltzer water.

I've been reading through this thread and i can't say a cake with fizzy pop in it appeals to me but i like this idea. May try it one day :smile:
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Red Velvet cake using Diet Dr. Pepper. been there done that ooooooyaaaaaaaaa :smile:

Wow!!! Red Velvet is my favorite! That sounds amazing!
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Grokette - so you're going to go your entire life without eating another processed food?? lol it's a treat once in a while, nobody said that this was going to be what we ate all day every day. :tongue:

I intend to keep the processed foods to a very bare minimum.........

I have always baked from scratch and have switched all of my cooking from scratch also.................

I don't want those chemical in my body and the sound of it (knowing what is in those ingredients) turns my stomach. It doesn't even sound appetizing.

My question to people like this and all the other judgmentals out there is why did you even read this thread? JUST to criticize someone or make them feel bad for their choices? If we are all on this site to lose weight, do we not get ENOUGH of that criticism from the outside world?? Isn't this supposed to be a place where we are free to share ideas? If you don't like cake, don't flippin read the thread.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people want to share their knowledge and experience of how to be healthy and get fit and it can seem as if they are being judgmental. But consuming low calorie non-food is not always a successful key to weight loss. You may lose and then gain it all back because you haven't learned to eat in a manner that is best for your body. So people may offer alternative suggestions to eating in a way they see as non-successful.

I understand the desire to find low calorie alternatives to the treats we like, but I have to say, I see very little real nutrition in a box cake made with diet soda and frosted with cool whip. If I'm going to consume 200 calories, I'd like it to be real fuel.

Berries with real whipped cream would be a much healthier and lower calorie alternative, for example.
  • GinoATC
    GinoATC Posts: 60
    Options
    Im sure we all would but not everyone can run out and drop 20-30 dollars in "NATURAL" ingredients to make a cake, or do we have the time to bake from "SCRATCH". But thanks for trying to save the world, good luck with that. P.S. so hould the billions of Asians the eat rice every day change thier diet beause rice is white?
  • cardigirl
    Options
    LOL...asians began to eat white rice because it keeps longer, but it does have less nutrition. It's also a cultural thing, in that poor people ate brown rice because they couldn't afford to have it polished so there is a feeling of shame about eating brown. But the Asian diet is healthy more because they eat a more plant based diet as opposed to more meat. And I'm sure that the thinking about white rice will change since information spreads so much more quickly these days.
  • LorrieM40
    Options
    I tried diet coke cake years ago and have never made a cake any other way. There is now icing made from splenda that isn't too bad. Still probably quite a bit of sugar in the whole thing but for a treat once in awhile, it's great!
  • pgp_protector
    Options
    Grokette - so you're going to go your entire life without eating another processed food?? lol it's a treat once in a while, nobody said that this was going to be what we ate all day every day. :tongue:

I intend to keep the processed foods to a very bare minimum.........

I have always baked from scratch and have switched all of my cooking from scratch also.................

I don't want those chemical in my body and the sound of it (knowing what is in those ingredients) turns my stomach. It doesn't even sound appetizing.

So what chemicals do you allow your self to eat?
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options

I would much rather have a slice of cake that has been made with organic raw sugar, milk, eggs, pure vanilla, almond flour or coconut flour, unsweetened organic cocoa, etc..............

Than to eat a boxed mix (that has tons of sugar and chemicals) and diet soda........

And I would love to have that too. However, those aren't ingredients I happen to have laying around (meaning organic raw sugar, pure vanilla, almond flour, organic cocoa). What I do happen to have is a can of diet soda and a box of mix. Yes, it comes down to making healthier shopping choices, but you know what? Sometimes I just don't care. :laugh: I'm not perfect, I don't strive to be perfect. I can totally understand where you're coming from. It's not the healthiest choice, I know that. I've lost almost 60 lbs, so I can't be doing too terribly. Maybe someday I'll be perfect and eat all organic and turn up my nose at what others eat. But until then, I'm going to enjoy my chemical cake. :drinker:

AMEN and AMEN again!
  • lazyslug
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea all that natural stuff...I don't time to bake and all that natural stuff is so expensive...I know Blah, Blah - look how much you'll spend on future health problems, hospitals, doctors....yadda,yadda,yadda...heard it all before. Sorry , that's just how I feel and that kind of diet would make me miserable, my healthy choices are so much different, because even though they are not the greatest they are better than the worst I was doing.
    MHO only :grumble:

BTW, sorry to get off the subject, that cake idea seems awesome, I am going to try it. Have you ever put your whipped topping in the freezer, tastes like ice cream if you eat a little fast before it thaws. YUM
  • mrshoffman07
    Options
    sounds good
  • ciouid
    ciouid Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I skipped a few pages because I didn't feel like reading all the posts about chemicals, but do they freeze well? If I make this there's no way we can (or should) eat it all before it goes bad. If I make cupcakes can I freeze them?
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Well, in all honesty, I can't think of anything I'd want to eat less than a box cake made with diet soda. It's not that I think I'm superior to anyone, far far from it, it's just that I know how much better I feel physically because I've stopped eating that kind of thing. If eating boxed cake mix made with diet soda with cool whip frosting made me feel as energetic as the berries and cream or the yogurt I eat for dessert now, you can bet that I'd be touting them as something worthwhile.

Everyone is free to eat whatever they want, but I honestly do not see how this cake would be something that would help one get healthier. Low calorie is not everything. In my opinion.
  • bmbellamy
    bmbellamy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Mis-posted
  • ridersage
    Options
    I've done it and it's greaaaat! You can do the same with sugar free brownies, but I recommend only using half the can of soda for that, it stays too gooey otherwise.
  • ciouid
    ciouid Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All I have a can of coke zero and a box of vanilla cake mix .... I'm not sure that's gonna taste good so I found this recipe to make it from scratch in case anyone wants to try it

http://caloriecount.about.com/diet-soda-chocolate-cake-scratch-recipe-r60376
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    All I have a can of coke zero and a box of vanilla cake mix .... I'm not sure that's gonna taste good so I found this recipe to make it from scratch in case anyone wants to try it

http://caloriecount.about.com/diet-soda-chocolate-cake-scratch-recipe-r60376

Awesome! Sometimes I NEED cake and don't have mix! The favorite combos in my house (kid approved!) are strawberry cake mix with diet lemon-lime and dark chocolate mix with Diet Dr. Pepper.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    sounds awesome!! I am so going to try this.
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    Well, it certainly has been an interesting post, to say the least!! :wink:

Personally, a co-worker and I bawked at the thought of eating this and, out of curiosity, she made it when she went home......

How did it turn out?? ......*drumroll*.......like a choc cake with bad aftertaste!! :sick:

Sorry, but not for us.
  • kuteinfaync
    Options
    any flavor cake with a diet drink of our choice? and it bakeswell? Mmmmmm I'm in!

what about this pineapple cake with crushed pineapples I read about! does that bake well and evenly?

Thanks for this recipe were going to try it! my kids are going to think this is so cool! ;)