A question for dads in the dating world

Options
ashesfromfire
ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
Hello wonderful fathers of the world, I have a question for you!
The Facts:
Come Father's Day this year, my boyfriend will have been together just shy of a year,
He's 38 and has the most beautiful 8 year old girl,
I'm 22 and have no children,
Though we plan on building a life together, we never plan on having kids together - I don't want kids, and he doesn't want any more,
We finally decided about a month ago that it was time for me to meet his little one, and her and I are getting to know each other,
I think my boyfriend is an amazing, committed, loving father - honestly one of the best dads I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.
Alright - the question:
Is it appropriate to get him a gift for Fathers Day?
If I do, I was thinking of getting him something he could do with his daughter - gift cards for them to go to the movies and get ice cream, or something of that nature. Your thoughts?

Replies

• embrace_the_dark_side
    Options
    Why would it be inappropriate to get him a gift? That sounds like a splendid idea.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea and I am sure he will love it. btw I am a single father, but not currently dating.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, as regardless of your relationship with him, he is a Father.

People I have known and are good friends, get me gifts and cards on Fathers Day.

You might want to 'help' his daughter get something for him also. That may help you get to know her some more.

I think this is an absolutely wonderful idea by the way.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Lovely idea OP you should definitely do it. Especially like the fact you are looking for something the two of them can do together.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    An even better idea is to help his daughter get him a wonderful gift that she could never afford on her own.
    Ovbiously he will know you had a hand in it but, she will feel like a princess for giving it to him.
    You already won Dad, now it is time to win the child.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Win the child? That doesn't sound pleasant. His daughter and I get along fine, but she needs a lot of time to warm up to anybody, and she is still really shy around me. I'd be happy to help her get her daddy something, but knowing her, she is the kind of kid that would have to approach me. I don't know. Maybe. I just don't want to pressure her into spending time with me that she's not ready for.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    At minimum you can get him a card and tell him exactly how amazing he is as a Dad. You night get a gift as well if you feel it is appropriate.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Win the child? That doesn't sound pleasant. His daughter and I get along fine, but she needs a lot of time to warm up to anybody, and she is still really shy around me. I'd be happy to help her get her daddy something, but knowing her, she is the kind of kid that would have to approach me. I don't know. Maybe. I just don't want to pressure her into spending time with me that she's not ready for.

So, I'm not a dad, but as someone who grew up with a step-mom (but also lost my real mom), you could involve the daughter by asking her what you think her dad might want for father's day. You could even tell her that you want it for something just the two of them can do together (and therefore you're not "taking him away," if that makes sense...and you're creating time for them to spend together - which I'm assuming she would appreciate). This is sort of already what you said you had wanted to do - get him something that they can do together. You're just involving her without her feeling pressured, if that makes sense. Of course, you also have to feel comfortable with whatever approach you decide! It's just a thought.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You and the daughter make something for him, or take her out and let her pick something out for him. It will mean more to him than whatever you'd get him and she'd talk about it every single year. Make a day out of it and have fun. If you're nervous about spending the day with her, all kids like ice cream (except the paleo ones). I'm a single dad, and my son is with his mom for a month every summer around father's day, so I don't get jack, but I know it would mean the world to me.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

You're the adult. You will have to approach her, but frame it as doing something for her dad (it's not about you). Tell her it's a big secret and she will definitely play along. If you do it right, you won't have to pressure her at all.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course it's appropriate and I agree with the other posters who say involve her. It's a great way to give her attention and get to know her as well as showing him that you care about both of them.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think your idea is wonderful. My husband has a daughter (and like you guys we don't plan on having kids together) and I first met her when she was 10. She wasn't shy, but my interaction with her early on was very limited, so I can see why planning/buying/making something with her may not be possible/comfortable yet. I think buying them something to do together is a wonderful idea. There will be many more Father's Days to plan something with her.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

You don't have to pressure her, you just have to talk to her.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The best gift would be something Dad and daughter could share together. It can be something as simple as a movie tickets with a gift card for snacks, or some kind of kid's themed theater she might enjoy.

Back when I was that your BF's age and my daughter was near the young ladies age, I was given two seats that included full service from waiters to watch my favorite baseball team play in the stadium I help build. I could literally point to everything I built and she got a kick out of actually seeing some of the things.

I don't even remember who won. The thing that stuck in my mind was all the laughing and smiles I witnessed from my daughter.

The perfect gift is one they will exchange smiles all day. Do that, and you're set...
  • amykr93
    amykr93 Posts: 65
    Options
    Lovely idea and I am sure he'll appreciate it.

I got my partner a card, despite not being my son's dad, because he is a father and a damned good one at that.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    May be irrelevant, but how are things between you and the child's mother? Because I would lose my freaking mind if my ex's girlfriend got him something for Fathers' Day that included my daughter. I don't care what she gives him, but I want her to have nothing to do with my daughter. Ever.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    May be irrelevant, but how are things between you and the child's mother? Because I would lose my freaking mind if my ex's girlfriend got him something for Fathers' Day that included my daughter. I don't care what she gives him, but I want her to have nothing to do with my daughter. Ever.

Unfortunately, you have no say in the matter, unless you can prove that she puts the child in harm's way. It's mindsets like this that make co-parenting more difficult than it needs to be, because you're basically undermining the other parent's judgment. She need not say a peep to the child's biological mother. It would be nice if a relationship existed, but better none than an acrimonious one like you would foster.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

Is this just his current girlfriend?
    Or ANY other woman in his life?
  • summertime_girl
    Options

Unfortunately, you have no say in the matter, unless you can prove that she puts the child in harm's way. It's mindsets like this that make co-parenting more difficult than it needs to be, because you're basically undermining the other parent's judgment. She need not say a peep to the child's biological mother. It would be nice if a relationship existed, but better none than an acrimonious one like you would foster.

Actually, I do have a say. It's in the divorce decree. It's already been proven that she's dangerous to my child.
  • summertime_girl
    Options

Is this just his current girlfriend?
    Or ANY other woman in his life?

Just this one. He could be with anyone else in the whole world, and it wouldn't matter.
This discussion has been closed.