using your children as a profile pic?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    You know what I dont like? When you ask someone at the grocery store where the apple vinegar's at and she brings up her boyfriend in the first sentence she says......REALLY!
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am responsible for my own happiness, therefore, I can choose whether or not to feel negative about someone or something. It doesn't annoy me, but it does give me cause to be slightly curious. I am just thankful they have a pic as opposed to having none.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    It annoys me too and I was thinking of it a couple days ago when I noticed everyone uses their kids as their facebook banner, but I realized I have my cat and it's probably just as bad. My cat is cute though and not everyone's kids are cute. I do think people tend to lose their identities to their kids and maybe that's why it bothers me.

Also I just kind of like being anonymous and mysterious so I use my cat, it's not like I'm particularly proud of her I didn't make her :)

Your cat being considered cute is just as subjective as my child being considered cute.

It's not that people lose their identity when they have children - it's that they have a totally NEW identity. They are now responsible for shaping, feeding, teaching, and keeping safe a whole human being - for the rest of their lives. Making sure a tiny person doesn't grow up into a giant a*shole is a pretty big job. That does not mean that they are no longer "them" - it means they are a different type of "them". This is not an inherently bad thing.

PS, when I post photos of my kid, I've never thought, "Hey, look what I made!'. I'm thinking "This photo turned out cute" - just like the ones I share of my dogs, or my garden, or whatever.
  • RowanJ13
    RowanJ13 Posts: 26
    Options
    When my son was about 3 months old my profile pic (of me holding him) was stolen and used to set up a fake FB account. Now I personally will not use photos of him as a profile pic or cover photo, etc. because of safety and privacy concerns. Actually, I've recently stopped posting pics of him online altogether.

But, wow. This thread is quite something.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    When my son was about 3 months old my profile pic (of me holding him) was stolen and used to set up a fake FB account. Now I personally will not use photos of him as a profile pic or cover photo, etc. because of safety and privacy concerns. Actually, I've recently stopped posting pics of him online altogether.

But, wow. This thread is quite something.

That's scary! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to make sure my Instagram is private now. People are crazy.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Guilty! But I do that because my children are my pride and joy.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I dont hate it but I dont feel like Im talking to a real human when it happens. Every time I see someone with no picture of themselves I think they lack on confidence because they think they are ugly or they are not happy with the way they look. I thought Photoshop softwares were made for that but it seems like they dont like to use them. lol

Me thinks that you are totally wrong. Desire for privacy doesn't equal lack of confidence or unhappiness about personal looks.

Yes exactly.

This is called projection - when you wouldn't do something for x reason, so you believe that is why other people wont do it.

If you don't like my Xmas pudding avatar, that is fine - but please don't tell me my reasons for choosing it.

On the other hand perhaps I am not a real human - perhaps you really are talking to a pudding :wink:

Please change your profile picture because that pudding is making me fat...:laugh: :laugh:
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Would it be better if I posted a pic of my gorgeous self holding him? ;-)
  • KDesiP
    KDesiP Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    And what if idgaf about a stupid stock photo of a flower. Maybe I prefer to see people's bodies. Everyone in MFP should cater to me. Make me happy. Please me.

I've decided... I don't want anyone to post their face. No really. I don't want to see your face. It's not MyFacePal.. it's myFITNESSpal. If you can't show me evidence of your fitness - or quest to achieve it - in your profile pic, then why are you here? Cmon... seriously?

I think my personal preference should TOTALLY dictate what EVERY OTHER PERSON on this site does with their profile pics. And if they disagree with me, then I'm totally calling them down.

I hereby declare...

If you don't agree with me... your decision as to what you post is ridiculous, annoying, and whatever you pick that doesn't please me I hereby deem as fugly.

Because I have been dubbed judge and jury of all things MFP.

ETA... besides... it's impossible to *kitten* to your profile pic when it's not you in the pic. sheesh.

:laugh: That's the greatest thing I've read all morning!
  • christacb
    christacb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Worrying about what other people use as their profile picture is lame and petty.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,021 Member
    Options
    I dont hate it but I dont feel like Im talking to a real human when it happens. Every time I see someone with no picture of themselves I think they lack on confidence because they think they are ugly or they are not happy with the way they look. I thought Photoshop softwares were made for that but it seems like they dont like to use them. lol

Me thinks that you are totally wrong. Desire for privacy doesn't equal lack of confidence or unhappiness about personal looks.

Yes exactly.

This is called projection - when you wouldn't do something for x reason, so you believe that is why other people wont do it.

If you don't like my Xmas pudding avatar, that is fine - but please don't tell me my reasons for choosing it.

On the other hand perhaps I am not a real human - perhaps you really are talking to a pudding :wink:

Please change your profile picture because that pudding is making me fat...:laugh: :laugh:

I may or may not have chosen it because its round shape reminded me of my own shape :tongue: :bigsmile:

also they are yummy and it was soon after Christmas when I joined and I made up random words to be my user name and it matched them.

All very deep and meaningful reasons. :happy:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It annoys me too and I was thinking of it a couple days ago when I noticed everyone uses their kids as their facebook banner, but I realized I have my cat and it's probably just as bad. My cat is cute though and not everyone's kids are cute. I do think people tend to lose their identities to their kids and maybe that's why it bothers me.

Also I just kind of like being anonymous and mysterious so I use my cat, it's not like I'm particularly proud of her I didn't make her :)

I used to think people lost their identities when they had kids. Now I realize that you gain one. What is cooler: recognizing the bird running across my front lawn? Or explaining to my kid how to tell it's a robin so they grow up aware of their ecosystem?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I used to think people lost their identities when they had kids. Now I realize that you gain one. What is cooler: recognizing the bird running across my front lawn? Or explaining to my kid how to tell it's a robin so they grow up aware of their ecosystem?

:heart: