How do I get my muscles toned without getting "big"?

Options

Replies

• pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping this is a case of an awesome troll, because whoa.

If not, visit Nerd Fitness (like so many others have recommended) - http://www.nerdfitness.com/resources/#resources-apps. Yeah, it's a lot of reading, but they break things down so each subject can be understood by people who have no clue what they're doing.

If Nerd Fitness is too much for you to ingest just yet, try to get a personal trainer. Tell them your fitness goals and hopefully they'll get you started in the right direction.

You can't expect a community of people who have never met you to spoon-feed the exact information needed for your goals, especially if you're unwilling to act on any of it.
  • chandainwv
    Options
    if you want to be strong , have muscle tone (which we all need) not be a weak old lady and have energy for your day, you need to eat right, lift weights (we call that strength training) do cardio; and watch what you are consuming BAD calorie/carb wise.
    Getting big? really??? I am so sure that is a NON issue for you.

develop good habits. that is all.

Being a bodybuilder requires extreme dedication. Now if you want that go the whole way. but if you want fitness, work for it. and the dude who replied to you; he's very helpful.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    This just has to be a troll....right???
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

If this is true- I personally apologize for my comments to her

I've read that first sentence 20 times and still can't quite parse it. :ohwell:

my conscious is clear on the matter. And that is all I have on it.
    That is the simplest explanation. And any other interpretation leaves me frightened for our species.
    that or the age thing- I like to believe the best in people- but it's possible it's made trolling.
    I'll be mildly impressed... and equally sad for myself LmAO.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    TLDR; Shorter, more intense workouts makes you big. Longer, less intense workouts makes you toned. It's a bit of a simplification, but you seem confused by everyone else. Get lighter weights and do long workouts. Also, you may consider workouts that involve high range of motion with constant but low intensity. Grab some Tai Chi DVDs or something. Martial arts style workouts in general are particularly good at toning. Ever seen a martial artist with too much bulk?

wait, now i'm confused
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've always heard the comparison regarding marathon runners and high intensity athletes. Saw this picture once showing a skinny marathon runner vs a built/lean/not bulked high intensity athlete.

He should concentrate more on what he eats rather than what exercise to do. Someone (or a lot of people) already said to take this more into consideration.

And yes, also agree with the "no matter how much exercise you do, exercise wont get you bigger muscles". Proper dieting! I mean, it's that simple right?... Research on how to diet based on your goals and see how to include which type of work out/cardio to do...

LOL - there are marathoners of all shapes and sizes. Body type is one of the factors of the ability to become elite, not what you transform into after doing the activity. I submit my thighs as exhibit A.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    TLDR; Shorter, more intense workouts makes you big. Longer, less intense workouts makes you toned. It's a bit of a simplification, but you seem confused by everyone else. Get lighter weights and do long workouts. Also, you may consider workouts that involve high range of motion with constant but low intensity. Grab some Tai Chi DVDs or something. Martial arts style workouts in general are particularly good at toning. Ever seen a martial artist with too much bulk?

wait, now i'm confused

Do you do martial arts, Mr. Bulky?
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You got a LOOOOONG ways to go before you need to worry about being too bulky. Just get in the gym and workout along with a reasonably healthy diet and see where it takes you. You arent going to wake up overnight and be the Incredible Hulk......just take it one workout at a time and adjust your goals as you go along. Dont overcomplicate it because then it will just give you a reason to not workout.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'll check out "You Are Your Own Gym". Body weight exercises are exercises that don't rely on weights or equipment right? And yeah, I'm not looking to get big. Just in better shape than I am. Also could you explain the difference and benefits between using a barbell and using dumbbells? Thanks again~

You can't get big over night. Or on accident.- IT TAKES DEDICATED WORK. If there was a magical land of getting big over night- it would be an island full of people- because getting big takes months and months of hard heavy work and dedicated diet.

Barbell- olympic barbell- .. it's long- about 2.5 inches in diameter- and you you put round or hex weights on the sides. and then a collar to keep them from sliding off.

Dumbbell's- they are hand held.

Sorry, your posts are just very overly complicated and it's hard for me to understand what you're trying to say when I don't know anything remotely related to exercise and fitness, so it just goes over my head. I'm trying to understand but it's an overwhelming amount of information to absorb and take in. If you can avoid using phrases I probably won't understand, that would help me read your posts better so I can get the jist of it.

I understand that fitness and diet can be overwhelming- but it feels a little bit like you are either extremely young- and possibly violating the terms of the sites agreements.

OR you are choosing to NOT looking anything else up and educate yourself.

I know I'm a bit wordy- but I've laid out quiet a bit of information for you if you are willing to pick it up and educate yourself. But YOU have to be willing to do some work.

I'm here to help- really I am- but it's hard when it feels a little bit like I spent five minutes typing something up and the person asking didn't bother reading it.

Oh no. Sorry for any misunderstandings, but I'm not trying to get big. That's not the goal for me. I just want to get my body in shape. Not necessarily big. I just want to stop looking skinny and I want to have some muscle tone on my body. I know it's not an easy process but I'm willing to do what it takes because I just want to feel comfortable with my body and I just don't want to look like a weakling anymore. But yeah, I don't want to get big. And thanks for clarifying Barbells. And I'm 20 years old, I wouldn't say I'm young but I would say I'm clueless and not very educated at all when it comes to fitness, so I'm very slow when it comes to learning things like this.. Sorry if I seem like I'm being difficult. I'm just being presented a lot of different information, and I'm not really certain where to start first. I wish I wasn't having such a hard time with this because I hate to feel like a burden. I'm trying to listen, trust me, I'm just not sure what advice to follow since a lot of you guys are offering different advice and I'm not sure if I explained my goals clear enough, but yeah as I mentioned I don't want to get big. I just want to start training at home and see if I can tone up and get some muscle on me, so I just feel a little confused on where to start first. I'm not sure if I need to change my diet first, or if I need to buy other equipment, or if I need to read a certain book that you suggested, I'm just really misguided.

Listen!! You will never, ever, ever; ever ever ever be able to get big! Understand???? You don't know or have what it takes! Maybe this fitness and exercise isn't for you.... Just learn how to eat at a deficit, and jog a mile or so a day... This will help you
  • likitisplit
    Options
    243.gif
  • DavPul
    Options

You cannot be for real. Why would you come on to a fitness site and ask people not to explain things to you about exercise and fitness?

Simple answer: Doing dumb bell exercises is better than doing curls with your TV remote. You decide how you want to spend your time. Do some push ups, walk up some hills, do some tricep extensions and dips (google it), some sit ups, and bi cep curls. Honestly, when I first started in 2000, I started with dumb bells and "Weight Training for Dummies" (the book). It sounds like it might be a good place for you to start as well.

Yeah, it would be great to do all this other stuff. But tomorrow, just do something.

You followed me in here just to complain about me?

I posted some very helpful advice- even other people have pointed out OP's lack of williningness to look things up as well... but you come in here to complain about me?

I'm highly flattered!!

Thank you :drinker:

yes yes yes- I know it's early to drink- but I'll take it at this hour. ;)

Ummmm......

100% positive that she was on your side and was referring to the OP.

it's weird for sure, but Tuesday is my slow day, so here' my Zapruder quality breakdown.

KM's post that began with:
    You cannot be for real. Why would you come on to a fitness site and ask people not to explain things to you about exercise and fitness?

was placed not after JR's comment, but after the OP responded to JR's incredulous post with this: (bolds are by me)

Sorry, your posts are just very overly complicated and it's hard for me to understand what you're trying to say when I don't know anything remotely related to exercise and fitness, so it just goes over my head. I'm trying to understand but it's an overwhelming amount of information to absorb and take in. If you can avoid using phrases I probably won't understand, that would help me read your posts better so I can get the jist of it.

So my breakdown: OP asked 8000 questions, JR finally gave up being patient (loooong after I would have) and snapped, then the OP was like, "but but but, can you not use fitness terms?" and KM was like, "DUDE WTF!?!?"

if that's not the case, well then, my second guess is that the butler did it in the study with a candlestick
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Ever seen a martial artist with too much bulk?
    Well there's Michael Jai White, Juliean Greaux, Van Damme, Bolo Yeung, and many, many MMA fighters too.
    The "Steven Seagal" look doesn't exist much in the competitive ring or movies now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoRocka
    Options
    You arent going to wake up overnight and be the Incredible Hulk......

lies. It happened to me.

I walked out of the women's only section and moved one big wheel and my vagina feel out that instant AND the next day I had to go get all my clothes special tailored because I tore ALL of them up with my huge arms.

Seriously- it's awful- I life in custom made stretchy pants to accommodate my gargantuan sized frame and bulging muscles. I also carry a colostomy bag for my whoha everywhere I go.

let that be a lesson to you- pink weights ONLY!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Simple answer: Doing dumb bell exercises is better than doing curls with your TV remote. You decide how you want to spend your time. Do some push ups, walk up some hills, do some tricep extensions and dips (google it), some sit ups, and bi cep curls. Honestly, when I first started in 2000, I started with dumb bells and "Weight Training for Dummies" (the book). It sounds like it might be a good place for you to start as well.

Yeah, it would be great to do all this other stuff. But tomorrow, just do something.

You followed me in here just to complain about me?

I posted some very helpful advice- even other people have pointed out OP's lack of williningness to look things up as well... but you come in here to complain about me?

I'm highly flattered!!

Thank you :drinker:

yes yes yes- I know it's early to drink- but I'll take it at this hour. ;)

Ummmm......

100% positive that she was on your side and was referring to the OP.

it's weird for sure, but Tuesday is my slow day, so here' my Zapruder quality breakdown.

KM's post that began with:

was placed not after JR's comment, but after the OP responded to JR's incredulous post with this: (bolds are by me)

So my breakdown: OP asked 8000 questions, JR finally gave up being patient (loooong after I would have) and snapped, then the OP was like, "but but but, can you not use fitness terms?" and KM was like, "DUDE WTF!?!?"

if that's not the case, well then, my second guess is that the butler did it in the study with a candlestick

Oh perfect. Yes. That makes total sense. Duh.

Thanks for breaking it down. I feel so incompetent now.

ETA: just re-read the posts. My problem was that my brain started skipping words after the second sentence of the last OP post. The word-jumble still makes me feel slightly nauseous. My bad. Humble apologies.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love JoRocka! She really tries to be as patient as possible. She is a saint. But even saints have their limits. I feel ya, sister!
    :drinker:

YAY

I really am wondering about OP's age. Seriously- it just seems to fit the situation that they are under age.

Either way- despite the frustration- I wish him luck in his journey of not getting houuuuuuuuge.. I know how hard it is trying to keep those bulging muscles at bay. :sad:
    Hey it could be a "special needs" person, please be compassionate...not everyone is of average intelligence...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

Best just stick to push ups and body squats. While in calorie deficit, I guarantee that you'll NOT get big at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DavPul
    Options
    <blah blah blah snip>

that's what i'm here for.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ROFL!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    <blah blah blah snip>

that's what i'm here for.

Every day, I strive to lighten your load.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    well she didn't address my post- but never the less- I'll apologize again for being snippy specifically to her.

It appears to be unwarranted.

Not sure where we would ever be without you Dav!!!