How do I get my muscles toned without getting "big"?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    This may be the stealthiest and best executed troll thread I've seen on MFP. All the way from dumbbells, to wanting to look like Harry Stiles, to not knowing what body fat is, to not knowing what anything on the internet in the history of ever is, this thread is just a big pile of lulz.

Well played, OP. Your trolling skills are remarkable.
    I concur.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Pretending not to know anything and asking lots of questions like a 5 year old is apparently the new wave of trolling on mfp. I don't know why though.

Why
    Why
    Why
    Why
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My husband is currently in, I think, the shape you are shooting for. He does ab work, pull/chin ups, pushups, and things like curls or rows or shoulder press with 30+ pound dumbbells. He runs a couple miles a day and eats a healthy diet. And he does a lot of farm work (lifting bags of feed, moving cattle pannels etc) but no longer does heavy barbell work. And that's it. If that's all you're shooting for, then check out YAYOG and basic (heavy) dumbbell routines and start from there. That said - like everyone else has mentioned, getting "bulky" takes a LOT of hard work. Don't be scared of the heavy weights :) I've seen "skinny" guys at the gym who can lift a whole lot.

Or, just get a job on a farm.

Now THERE'S a business idea: "Eat and workout like your Great-grandparents"

Raise and eat "REAL" food. Loose weight. Get ripped. No calorie counting or hours in the gym. Juice cleanses provided every night.

That is what I think is wrong with the current world diet.... it is based on a world were we don't drive everywhere, don't have machines to make it all easier. We used to think nothing of walking to the store, and carrying a couple of big paper bags back.

But at the same time, I see a lot of farmers who are obese when I wonder to the Rural King. They ride an ATV all over, unless they are sitting in an air conditioned tractor. They got fork lifts to haul the hay up. They all work smarter, with fewer bodies, rather than doing it all by hand the way their fathers and grandfathers did. If it has to be done by hand, for hours on end...they hire a migrant.

Small farms don't necessarily have all of those conveniences.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My husband is currently in, I think, the shape you are shooting for. He does ab work, pull/chin ups, pushups, and things like curls or rows or shoulder press with 30+ pound dumbbells. He runs a couple miles a day and eats a healthy diet. And he does a lot of farm work (lifting bags of feed, moving cattle pannels etc) but no longer does heavy barbell work. And that's it. If that's all you're shooting for, then check out YAYOG and basic (heavy) dumbbell routines and start from there. That said - like everyone else has mentioned, getting "bulky" takes a LOT of hard work. Don't be scared of the heavy weights :) I've seen "skinny" guys at the gym who can lift a whole lot.

Or, just get a job on a farm.

Now THERE'S a business idea: "Eat and workout like your Great-grandparents"

Raise and eat "REAL" food. Loose weight. Get ripped. No calorie counting or hours in the gym. Juice cleanses provided every night.

That is what I think is wrong with the current world diet.... it is based on a world were we don't drive everywhere, don't have machines to make it all easier. We used to think nothing of walking to the store, and carrying a couple of big paper bags back.

But at the same time, I see a lot of farmers who are obese when I wonder to the Rural King. They ride an ATV all over, unless they are sitting in an air conditioned tractor. They got fork lifts to haul the hay up. They all work smarter, with fewer bodies, rather than doing it all by hand the way their fathers and grandfathers did. If it has to be done by hand, for hours on end...they hire a migrant.

Small farms don't necessarily have all of those conveniences.

My "Fitness Boot Camp" sure the hell won't.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options

so I clicked on this thread and this was the first thing I saw as the phone rang and I had to answer all professional Office of Blabbity bla how may I help you.

Seriously- almost died.

HAHAHA, excellent. I knew that gif would get somebody as good as it got me. ^_^
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

so I clicked on this thread and this was the first thing I saw as the phone rang and I had to answer all professional Office of Blabbity bla how may I help you.

Seriously- almost died.

HAHAHA, excellent. I knew that gif would get somebody as good as it got me. ^_^

thankfully it was some muckety mucks' secretary I think rather than said muckety muck.

but yeah- i almost died. it wasn't going to be fun at all LMFAO.

edt-who am i kidding- was the second best part of the day
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    Okay so I have spoken with a few other members on the forum and I think the best approach is to apply for a membership at a local gym club and hire a personal trainer so that I can have somebody guide me and help me determine the right approach for me and my goals. I think that's the best way at this point. I'm definitely not equipped to learn about this on my own so having a professional assist me will hopefully allow me to actually get somewhere. I'm hoping it's not too expensive because my job doesn't give me enough hours currently. I have a local Bally's near me so that's where I'll be asking around. Hopefully I can figure out a plan.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have a good plan.
  • Onderwoman
    Onderwoman Posts: 130
    Options
    Oh, good. I was looking for a reason to use this.

wtf.gif?w=550&h=309

OMG I love that gif! Watch out OP you may get "bulky" like that...guy/girl...