Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties! - November Challenge

Options

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Alex Cross - ME TOO! Oh man... I have SO many novels to read and catch up on! Have the new "The Quickie" sitting in hardcover on my desk right now. Also LOVE Steve Berry's historical fiction. It's trash but it's trash that feeds my soul... hahaha

Uhmm Ate loads today but it was healthy-ish. And made up for some exercise cals. My run today was rough. I ran mostly in the 9:00 min/mile pace range but I didn't run too far... Was just quick and dirty, basically. I was so late already and it was super dark by 5pm here... Not enjoying that!

Hope the sickies are feeling better soon! :ohwell: Hate those cyber colds...

Only piece of news -- I am considering starting HALF training in January for the Half Marathon in Ottawa on Sunday May 29th. Thoughts? This is a major decision and I definitely need to put some serious thought into it... but the seed has been planted. Damn MFP and all the Crazy Runners (TM!) on here... Jilly, Gonks, Aly... You are all included in that! hahah

Have a great night guys. Working til 3am but I will be here in the morning. Gotta get up and experiment in the kitchen tomorrow. Pumpkin, sweet potato and banana curry! Mmmm....
    -Meag :heart:
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    hi everyone!!! quick check-in here for me...I lost 1.8lbs this week, so of course I am happy with that, even though its not what I need to stay on track with my goal for the month. Ii am so close to the next "decade" on my weight, so I am looking forward to reaching that on next weeks weigh-in!!

thank you all so much for your support :) and I wish everyone the best! Everyone is doing great and is very motivated this month and that is a huge help for me and many others I am sure!!!

Kepp it up everyone...and I will check in soon again!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    hey everyone!! welcome back meag!! wow does this thread move along, esp when you don't log in for a day lol. where oh where to start..
    QOTD: I'm a James Patteson fan as well, and am finishing up Roses are Red, an Alex Cross novel. His stuff is great! I read a lot and love to alternate between things like that, and then not-so serious, girly stuff. I just started one such book called, With Friends like That, or These, I forget exactly lol. I asked for a Kindle for xmas b/c the stockpile is just overwhelming now. I'll miss the feel of real books.

I'm jealous of all you travelers! I've traveled a pretty decent amount but right now it's all about saving for school next year (provided I get in!) My last trip was to Egypt in May, and I'm dying to go someplace new! 2 more nights of work then i'm off for a glorious 9 days!!

I went to the eye doc today to make sure my blurred vision wasn't anything serious, and fortunately he said everything was ok. He thinks it was most likely a migraine, and said if it happens again to just come in, and let my regular doc know.. Always something!

Last night I was off and went to a hockey game. I tried to save as many calories as possible for it b/c my friend and I always fall victim to the chicken fingers and fries lol. They were great as always, and my craving for such things has been satisfied.. Next week will be TOM and all I can think about is ice cream. Having Dairy Queen right down the street doesn't help either! Today i ended up picking up my blue bunny frozen yogurt single servings, which I'm in love with, though haven't broken into...yet!

Going back to the previous QOTD, my fave workout is TurboJam.. Right now I'm in week 5 of TurboFire
    Rai, I know you mentioned this, and basically TF is a more intense version of TJ. The tempo is faster, but the music is good, and as always Chalene is really motivating. You do a lot of the same moves as in TJ, with some new ones, but it's pretty easy to pick up once you do the workout a couple times. You also do scuplting/toning workouts which are challenging, and will have you feeling it all day. I highly recommend it! My fave is the HIIT workout, which is High Intensity Interval Training, where you learn a combo, then go really hard for about 30-40 seconds, then rest for 30-40 sec.. then repeat Xtimes depending on how long the particular workout is. Some have a lot of jumping in them, which is def challenging, but it's something to work up to, and you feel so accomplished at the end, esp as you improve along the way!! check out the videos online, on youtube or the beachbody site, and it you're interested, I bought mine on amazon, and saved about $70. It runs for about $150 on the official site, between actual cost and S/H.

I can't believe how quickly this year is moving along! I follow Chalene Johnson, from TurboJam on Facebook, and she basically dared everyone to NOT gain weight this season, but to intensify their workouts instead.. I thoght that was a good challenge so I'll be keeping it in the back of my mind as we get closer to the holidays.

Hope all you girls under the weather feel well soon!
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Heeeeeeey girlies!!!

How is everyone getting along this week???

I've been really down on motivation for exercise this week... haven't been swimming once which is making me feel really naughty!!! But I feel like food wise I've been quite good other than dinner at my friend's house! And even though I haven't been swimming I have managed to walk into Uni and back everyday that I've had lectures. Just trying to keep positive despite the lack of motivation.

I've also just bought Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred online so as soon as that arrives I will get cracking on working out everyday!! Bet that's gonna be hard, but I've been watching the US version of Biggest Loser and I am looooving it!!! Think it's a really old series ( Think it's series 7 or soemthing??) but I'm hooked!!!

As far as QOTD goes..... I'm a complete chick lit kinda girl!!! I love Marian Keyes, Jane Green, Jill Mansell. I know they are not very intellectually challenging but after studying for Uni I like to have something easy to get through!!hahaha!!! And I know this sounds childish as hell, but I looooove Harry Potter... aren't I cool=]

Anyways keep it up superstars!!

:heart: Emmy
  • kattungen
    Options
    Weigh in time!

SW: 188.2 lbs
    W1: 188.5 lbs (+0.3 lbs)
    CW: 185.6 lbs (-2.9 lbs)
    Total loss: 2.6 lbs :D

I'm really pleased with this weeks results! Nearly 3 lbs! *dances around*
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    great job katt!!
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Hey ladies... sorry I am passing that cyber cold around :tongue: I am finally starting to feel better though so should be able to ease back in to my exercise routine Monday morning (dont usually get to exercise on th weekends- crazy work schedule)

Had my weigh-in this morning. VERY happy that I lost 1lb even though I was sick. My goal is to keep chuggin along at 1lb a week.

Here are my stats- I think I am have been on MFP for about 5 weeks.
    5'5"
    SW 206
    CW 199.8 (MY FIRST MINI GOAL)
    GW- 150

Yay for hitting the 100's !!!!!!

QOTD- Most recent book was the 5th book in a series by Diana Gabaldon cant remember what it was called but the first book was Outlander.... REALLY REALLY good series. It has a perfect balance of mushy stuff, adventure, and a lot of historical information.
    My most recent fitness book was "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" LOVE this guy he really explained away a lot of myths about women and weight lifting. Not using his program at this point. Decided to work with someone at the gym to create one for me. But I think that once I am back in a good routine for a few months I will use his program to kick it up a notch.

Anyway ladies, as always GREAT work! keep it up- cant wait to read all the new posts today
  • finncmh
    Options
    finn- take it easy getting back into your routine just in case you aren't a 100% yet. I'm kinda with you on the running thing (minus those crazy injuries) so maybe we can help motivate each other.

Roo- I am TOTALLY up for motivating each other on the whole running thing! let me know :happy:
  • finncmh
    Options
    I am just a posting nut this morning... haha

@Meag- saw your B&A pics in the other thread! AMAZING... so impressed keep up the great work and keep motivating us!

love seeing this pics if anyone else wants to share. I took my before pics a few weeks ago so that down the line I can see the changes.
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hi-

I lost 1.5 pds this week! It might be more because TOM is here and my scale only goes by .5s......so I started out at 190. Now 187! I think my goal is 8 pounds so we'll see!

Have a great weekend!

Laura
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Great job Laura! That's awesome progress! We are only 12 days into the month :drinker: Woot!

Finch - Thanks girlie :happy: I definitely don't feel the difference until I see my progress. Wish I had better "befores" but I had no interest in cameras whatsoever when I was heavier and I didn't intend on losing weight when I started last year... It just sort of, found me...

To everyone on here hoping to lose some weight -- TAKE BEFORES! You won't *really* notice your transformation until you see the pics side by each. It really does help. In a similar vein, take your measurements! This is something I have never done but really wish I had. I know that I have lost quite a number of inches everywhere because I can really see the difference. My arms, my waist, my chest and for sure my thighs. They used to rub together so uncomfortably that I couldn't wear skirts in the summer. This summer for the first time ever I was able to wear skirts and not worry -- As strange as it sounds that was a huge victory for me. I always loved skirts in the summer and resented my thighs for always being in the way. Needless to say, I really wish I could quantify my loss in inches. As nice as it is to SEE the difference myself (my legs no longer touch when I am standing straight - what!) I would love to know how many inches I have actually lost...

So once you commit yourselves (which you already have, since I am not letting any of you leave muahaha :devil:), take your measurements! Even if you have already lost some. With training and a proper, healthy diet you will definitely be seeing results and those NSV (non-scale victories) are sometimes the sweetest!

Anywho.... Great losses everyone! Kat and Cait - you guys are doing fabulous! :bigsmile:

AFM, today is my rest day before the 8k race tomorrow morning. I worked late last night at the nightclub and then was up early this morning to drive my mother to work. Very short night's sleep. I have lots of healthy cooking planned for the day, as well as groceries and some cleaning perhaps. I'd like to fit in some kind of calorie burn, and perhaps a trip to the mall to buy an athletic swim suit. I am really interested in taking up swimming but have not owned a proper suit in ages... Bought a really cheap beach-y one for $10 this summer with the intention of losing more weight and growing out of it (which has happened!). For laps, however, I'll need something a little more supportive.

TOM is right around the corner and I always feel insane food cravings around this time... I definitely have days/weeks where I feel like there are not enough meals in the day to eat everything that I want to have. I am craving Korean food, hummus, curry, cottage cheese, soup, protein pancakes and all kinds of other things right now plus I have loads of recipes and fun kitchen experiments that I am trying to fit into my schedule (Frozen Hot Chocolate Milkshakes tonight!)... Problem is that I don't want to waste any food! I really wish that my parents were better about taking lunches with them and helping me eat all this food. Perhaps I need to find a job as a personal chef for someone? Hrmm.....

OK this is enough rambling... Sorry about the stream of consciousness. Still contemplating the Half Marathon! I'd love any other thoughts from the board. Thanks!!
  • kattungen
    Options
    @Meag - I have found a super craving-food, at least it helps with my cravings ;) Cottage cheese with low sugar apple jam or apple sauce, and cinnamon on top <3 It tastes like chilled apple pie, and isn't all together that bad for you :)
  • Roobean33
    Options
    Happy Friday! Official weigh-in for me. Here are the numbers:
    Height 5' 2"
    Last week: 133.8.
    This week: 131.8
    Total loss: 2 pounds. That's half my goal for this month! Dare I hope to be in the 120s next week...

QOTD - "Belong to Me" by Marisa De Los Santos. A novel about a woman and her husband who move from the city to the suburbs and having to start over and make new friends...so many twists in this book.

TJRadd - WTG 1.8lbs!
    Laura - 1.5lbs! Congrats! What a great week for all of us!
    Katt - 2.6lbs!?! AWESOME.

Allie - 9 days off! JEALOUS lol. And what an excellent challenge...more intense workouts and weight loss during the holidays! YIKES> I'm gonna try. My brother's birthdays are literally the weekend after thanksgiving so that' will be a tough week!

Finn - You did great girly! 1lb loss and you were sick! You have to be proud...that's all your healthy food choices! I would LOVE to join forces and start running! When I say I'm a beginner, I mean it. I jogged a mile a week ago and I had to walk a few times. :blushing: I want to try and run like 3X/week to start. What are you thinking?
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but maybe we could have a QOTD one day where people post pictures of what they look like, either before and after pictures, or just current pictures :)
    If people are comfortable, of course.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Rough week for me. Thanks for the kind words about my nephew. He'll be in the best hands as the surgery will be at Children's Hospital in Boston and it looks like it's not as emergency as I initially thought. Major problems if he doesn't have it, but it's scheduled for January. Poor kid will have to stay in the hospital for 3 days after :( I also dislocated my left knee (aka my "good" knee) yesterday running. I'm hoping it'll fix itself, because I'm supposed to do a 3 mile run tomorrow and 10+ on Sunday. Gah, bad week.

Hope you all are doing well. TGIF (even though I had yesterday off work)!!
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps! I get really confused with reading these posts I can't sort things out easily, and I am at work so I have to try to make this quick so I don't look like a slacker! I wanted to first address the question about doing before and after photos! I think this is a great idea if I can figure out how to do it. Does anyone use picasa and know if you can do it off of there? I will keep playing with it, but again here at work.

Great job to all the people who had a loss this week! Keep up the good work!

As far as my WI today is concerned I stayed the same :( exactly 170.5. I checked a few times. It totally sucks because I have been feeling really good about this week. I guess maintaining is better than gaining but still frustrating. I am hoping I lost fat and gained muscle and all is not lost. I am feeling like my 6lb goal this month is a little too ambitious but I will stick it out another week and then maybe adjust. Just because it is a goal it doesn't mean I have to absolutely meet it. It is just something to strive for. I didn't swim last night because I had a sore throat. The good thing is that even though we danced around the idea of ordering Chinese soup since I was sick, we went to the health food store and made an awesome soup at home. I am sure I cut the calories at least in half. I have my race on Sunday and I hope my sore throat goes away before then. I don't feel super sick, just like I am fighting something. Tonight is supposed to be a date night/ free meal for me so I hope I feel better. Trying not to be a debbie downer. I hope everyonel is doing great today!

Today's QOTD is a tribute to my sickness.

What do you like to eat/ do when your sick to make you feel better?

I personally can eat soup all day long! Something about it is so soothing to me. If I can stay home I watch movies all day too, one of my fav's. I have a hard time reading when I am sick because I just fall asleep. Not necessarily a bad thing.
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations to all of the ladies that have lost this week!! Or even maintained!! Just a matter of time before the number on the scale starts to reflect the number that you have been longing to see!

Meag - I wish I had more time to experiment in the kitchen. I am a huge fan of baking so I love the challenge of finding more low calorie recipes that my family will still eat. My mom made dinner last night and she knows that I am watching what I put into my mouth but she never takes that into consideration when making a meal for the whole family. I was just gonna have soup when I got home since I am still feeling a little under the weather but it smelled so good that I couldn't resist. If it hadn't smelled so good then I would have just stuck to my soup. Luckily I didn't do too bad with my calories though. I filled my plate with as much vegetables as I could. And hopefully I will have stronger willpower in the future and just make my own dinners...even after she's worked so hard to make dinner. And let me know how you like that frozen hot chocolate. :happy:

Aly - hope you are feeling better by the time you have to run!! And a week of maintenance is better than a week of gain! I am totally up to post before pictures. I am nowhere close to where I want to be but I did take before pictures at the beginning of the year which was long before I started MFP.

Back to yesterday's QOTD - my favorite author is Nicholas Sparks. I have read just about all of his books but have hardly seen the movies that have been adapted from his books. I love the books so much more because of the depth of descriptions.

QOTD - since I am feeling under the weather as well, this question is perfect. Soup is always something that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I also love to drink Good Earth tea. I used to drink it with a tablespoon of honey before I started counting calories. Now I only add honey when my throat is feeling scratchy...I have horrible tonsils and it really helps.

Happy Friday Ladies!!:bigsmile:
  • finncmh
    Options
    Keep up the great work ladies.... Im off for the day to enjoy the rest of my day off and go help a friend set up for her jewelry party... keep good thoughts for me as I am sure I will be battling JUNK FOOD!!!!!!

Laura- great job on the loss keep it up!

Meag- you are too much! I think you need to start sharing more and more of these fabulous recipe experiments you are trying out today! you can be my personal chef anytime!!!! I love cooking but only when I have tons of time to just have fun with it... when it comes to a daily thing BLEGH haha

Roo- thanks for the support! I am with you on where I am at with running- between the injuries and being so out of shape I am at about the same point you are at... thinking I am going to try the C25K I had done that in the past and its pretty easy to follow. We should definitely be online running budies!!!! 3 times a week may be tough for me but I am up to the challenge!

inskydiamonds- I am up for sharing pics. I am only a few weeks in to my loss but like I said before I did pics and measurements at the beginning of the month so I am going to do that every first of the month I think

alli- so glad to hear about your nephew. Take it easy girl! Give that knee a chance to figure out what it needs to do. Your body knows itself best!

lostalykat- maintaining is great... thats why i like meag's suggestion on pics and measurements because the scale is not the end all be all. keep up the GREAT work. I tend to crave my junk comfort food... blegh

Guamgrly- feel better!!!!!!!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Soup is sooo good, but if at all possible make it at home! Store bough/canned soup is ridiculously high in sodium and all kinds of preservatives. If you can't make it at home, most good grocers should have chilled organic soups that can be heated and served. Got a white bean soup not long ago and added my own additional veg to it before heating - turned out pretty good! Soups are so easy in the crock pot that 10-15 mins in the morning can easily make you a tasty dinner on a really tight schedule. Just have to plan it out and make time :bigsmile:

In the spirit of all things soup (and because it was planned last night, coincidentally) we are having Chicken Fiesta Soup tonight for dinner. Woot! Off to experiment with my curry. Have a great Friday everyone!

Guam - I will definitely keep you posted on the Frozen Hot Chocolate!! :drinker:
  • tai_88
    tai_88 Posts: 23
    Options
    I am feeling seriously behind. Last two days I've been working 10 hours so there is limited time for me to review your posts. It seems like whenever I can check throughout the day there aren’t that many posts and now that I can’t check the forum everyone is buzzing up a storm...

So I have been relatively neutral (not good not bad) so far this week. Worked out Monday & Tuesday but didn’t do anything Wednesday or Thursday. Why didn't I work out? laziness mostly.... one reason I was working late a wanted to eat at a normal time and go straight to bed and then on Tuesday some sadistic part of my brain told me to do some lunges after my run. So yeh STILL feeling those! though i have been pretty good about my calories... though I'm a little tired of spinach salad and chicken. I ate a bunch of tea biscuits/cookies (depends where you are from, what you call them)... which probably wasn’t the best idea but I have been craving tea and something sweet. (TOM)

Leaving work early and hoping to make it to the gym. Feeling really exhausted but I know if I go and have a nap I won’t make it to the gym today. Hoping to get my energy up tomorrow.

So I plan on doing my Christmas decorating this weekend.... yes I know it’s the 2nd week in November, yes I know it’s not even thanksgiving yet. But honestly I need a little pick me up. It’s really hard to get in the holiday spirit when it’s still 80F outside. Plus I'm going to be super busy the next few weeks and this is my first real house and my first chance to decorate any way I want! So super excited for that.

QOTD: I love tomato soup with toast. Warm and buttery..... SO good! Plus it’s hard to get the soup here.... makes it that much more awesome when I get it!
    (Yesterday) I just finished "the girl who played with fire".... it was easy reading but kind of graphic in some parts. I'm re-reading HP7 since the movie comes out next week. I'm very excited about that! I've been looking for a funny book to read, something lighthearted and simple.

Well good job ladies, Monday marks the mid-point of our month and I think everyone is doing a super job.

ENJOY YOUR WEEKENDS!