Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties! - November Challenge

Options

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Guam - I hate when people assume I am denying myself! I am not denying. I am actively choosing healthier foods over unhealthy foods. I am negotiating my calories to make the best of them. It's not about denial. I can eat whatever I like and when I FEEL like having ice cream, I have it! I just make room for it and actually pay attention to what I put in my mouth, instead of blindly eating whatever passes by my face... Argh! :explode: So aggravating sometimes -- Unfortunately people have been socialized in the West mostly to think that any amount of moderation/sensibility is akin to denial. Very untrue. And only having these things once in a while helps me to enjoy their deliciousness that much more - It's like a reward for all my hard work!

As for anyone's audacity to ask you how much weight you'd lost... I don't know what to say. Epically rude, IMO. Even if you hadn't lost an ounce, making healthy choices needs no defense and it is really no one elses' business what your motivations are. I hope you're not letting the attitudes of other's discourage you! More than anything I find it motivating... I CAN do this, even though some others might not have the dedication and I don't always have very much support. You have to be your own support system sometimes... But hey, at least we have MFP now! hehe

Great job girl. Keep it up. Stopping yourself from eating more than you would have in the past is a great sign that you are developing the right habits and attitudes toward food. It's allll good!
    -Meag
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    1) Half Marathon... Still on the fence. Honestly, I have rarely had doubts about my ability to train and reach my goals but ATM I feel like a half is REALLY pushing my limits. I am just not sure my body can run that far and I am worried about registering and then bailing on it because I don't think I can finish in the weeks leading up to the race... This is obviously all mental. I need to psych myself up for it, commit and just get it done. No excuses.

3) My friends - they don't "get it". I am tired of hearing rude/inappropriate comments from my friends about my weight. Honestly. A few of my best friends that I've known for years (they've always known me as about 40lbs overweight), who are now living about 500kms away, are really not supportive of my life choices. They don't understand that this about wayyy more than weight-loss and are constantly making really inappropriate comments about my weight (which IMO is absolutely NONE of their business), how much exactly I've lost, how I "never eat" (uhhhmm look at my diary and tell me this girl doesn't eat) or never eat enough, how I'm "practically anorexic", how I'm supposedly forcing my boyfriend against his will to be active and fit (he's a soccer player and has been for years), and how I'm supposedly obsessed with being "skinny" -- ARGH! :explode:

Meag- two questions about the Half- 1) Have you found a training program? 2) When is the last date to register for the race?

As for your friends, - And your mom @Guam --I don't have much experience in that arena (most of my close friends are in RI) and I know they are being jerks but I would weigh in on the side of cutting them a bit of slack. While I doubt they are giving you crap for your "benefit", a part of them are likely somewhat worried about you. You've had a pretty drastic turn around and that kind of thing is proly pretty hard to accept. With eating disorders being so prevelant, to people who don't understand what you've been through and haven't seen you make healthy changes over time (like the BF) it's probably difficult to distinguish a difference. I'm not saying they're right by any means, but they certainly aren't coming from a perspective that would allow them to 'get' it. I'm not sure how you handled the snide remarks but it might be worth saying something about how aware you are of how much you eat and how much your body needs- generally being firm and clear might get through to them. I'm not sure if that would actually work but it might be worth letting them know that it's not ok to make those remarks.

Good luck weathering the negativity everybody- I know I'm gonna have to deal it with over the holidays as I've lost a little over 20 lbs since I've seen anyone, so it's going to be a bit of a shock for them.

~Gonk
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Meag-sorry to hear about the negativeness...that is something that is not needed while we are on the road to making ourselves healthier. THANKFULLY almost all of my friends have been very supportive and I have had a few even ask how I've done it and (with my mom included) 3 friends have joined MFP in hopes of changing their lives...one friend is even signiing up for a 5k in the spring and doing C25K because of all the success I have had. I feel blessed that people look at me as an inspiration or motivation. Maybe they are jealous or curious and just not sure how to ask so it comes out as negative??? Or maybe they just don't get it?? Whichever case it is...remember how hard you have worked to get where you are right now and that YOU are what is most important!!!!!!!

Cleaned the house today...burned a few cals doing that...might do strength or some yoga later...Chicken Lime Tacos going in the crockpot for dinner...relaxing the rest of the day and preparing for the week! Going to be a busy one...need to finish report cards and I have parent teacher conferences Wednesday and Thursday!!! Happy Sunday!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thanks Meag for the continued inspiration!! I have actually taken my mother's words and will use at as more fuel to my fire of motivation. I think she is somewhat bitter that I am able to make the decision everyday to eat slightly better and make healthier choices. This is something that she will start to do and can never continue for very long. And she is anti-exercise but expects her weight to just fall right off. Either way, its my life and my body!! I am the one that will need to be around to take care of my children and possible my parents in their older years. The earlier I choose to lead a healtheir lifestyle, the longer it is likely to last.

Thank you all for being a listening ear!! Sometimes you just need to vent!:devil:
  • Roobean33
    Options
    Meag- The harsh truth is that anybody who doesn't support what is important to you, is not your friend. This is truly a lifestyle, and they don't understand that. Regardless, you can not understand something, but recognize its importance and support someone anyway, which they choose not to do. I have found that this can be a lonely road at times, but you have your boy and all us at MFP.

If they simply didn't support, I could get over it. But actually reading that they are COMMENTING and being NEGATIVE and making you feel bad over NOTHING drives me insane. I'm assuming that you've tried explaining your choices.

I'm gonna be the jerk that says phase them out. You've outgrown them. You may choose not to. Maybe it's too drastic, idk. Whatever your choice, know that this journey has made you stronger, mentally and physically and there should be no apologizing for that. This is who you are now. And if they are good friends, they will accept you for who you are.

Guam - It's so hard to be successful when your family doesn't get it. Be proud of yourself for standing up and explaining yourself rather then just succumbing to the pressure.

Stay strong ladies!!!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    everyone is doing so great!! I just posted before and after (now) pics of myself :) very excited now to see it actually togethor and share it!
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! Very tired worn out runner here but hey I still feel great. I did my half marathon this morning and it was beautiful! It was nice and sunny and didn't get too hot until we hit mile 10, which kind of sucked but we pushed through with the beautiful ocean next to us. I did the whole race in 2:42minutes so about a 12 minute mile. Not bad for my first half marathon. I walk/ran it and everyone who is thinking about doing one know that you can. I started off just doing a 5k only a year ago and now I did a half Marathon. I would not have been able to do it if I did not find Team in Training, and get the support and friends who pushed me to my limits. I am sore today but I took tomorrow off so I can get a massage, and relax. Today was such an amazing experience!

Food- I didn't stick to my diet plan as strictly as I wanted to partly because I knew I needed some form of carbs and I just go so hungry I had to eat some sort of bread. But 2 meals of not so healthy choices is not so bad since I worked out for almost 3 hours today. I am getting right back on the healthy wagon tonight and plan to have a great week. I really hope I lose this week since I did my half marathon.

Meag- I am sorry about your friends. I know where you are coming from, and people that feel guilty about themselves push it on you so they don't have to think about it. I had this happen a while ago. Try to ignore it, sometimes they come around and see how healthy you are and want tips. This happened with a few of my friends. I joined Team in Training this last summer and met so many amazing people who are into working out and health, it is good to find a support system.

Sorry I can't address everyone I am really bad at doing that, but know that I am proud of everyone today! including myself! Lets have a great week! I know I am going to. Lets see the numbers go down and our spirits go up. Hooray!! I am going to go back to reading Harry potter until my bf gets back. Have a great day everyone.
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Its so hard to work through all of our obstacles to getting healthy. So many of us struggle with lack of support for our journeys, people who dont understand, time restrictions, money restrictions, and our own self sabatoge. I am so proud of you ladies on here and how you really stick to your guns and are determined to do better and get healthier. And even when you falter or start to get side tracked you realize and get right back on the horse. Keep it up!

I am finding that my biggest obstacle is myself. I am working so hard to make myself be my biggest supporter rather than being an obstacle. I just have to keep telling myself that I can do this and that I deserve it and its the best present I can give myself. I am so determined to do this! I felt old habits sneaking in today and I just keep coming on here and reading all of your posts and dinner time hit and I just buckled down!

Tomorrow is going to be my first day back to my exercise routine since being sick. I almost got deterred- normally I would go to my spin class in the AM on Mondays, but my truck broke down this weekend. In the past this would have been my excuse to not work out at all BUT not this time! Tomorrow once the fiance picks me up I am headed to the gym. I may not be able to go to spin class but I sure as heck am going to get some cardio in (Tuesday is strength training day-IVE MISSED IT!)

Roo- Im thinking I am going to do day one of my running tomorrow! Will keep you updated

TJ- LOVE your Before and After pics thank you for sharing that with us... if you havent seen them yet check them out on her post! AMAZING

btw I know someone had mentioned about doing that on our forum? Any more talk of that? I am up for it- I only have before pics but maybe its something we can do beginning of each month/challenge... pics and measurements for people who want to and no worries at all for people who dont (normally I would not want to but I think that I need this extra push to share with you all and keep motivated to show you some good ones the following months).

So this was going to be a quick post... but alas I have rambled on and on! Haha sorry I couldnt respond directly to more people but I have been reading everyones posts!!!! Hope everyone enjoyed their weekends :)
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Crap... double post... sorry
  • Roobean33
    Options
    Finn - I think I'll be jogging tomorrow too! Good luck girly! :flowerforyou:
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Aly - great job on the half marathon!! Each and everyday you girls inspire me to start running. Hopefully I can shake this cold soon and start out small. I want to do a 5k next year.

TJ - can't wait to check out your before and after pics. I think I will work in my before pics now.

finn - great job on not falling off the wagon and just being done with it!! You are picking yourself back up after being sick and ready to face this head on again!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I have pics on my profile, but I suck at getting them to post in the forum. But every month or so I put up a new pic or two, so I can see the progression.
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    ate a bunch of crap today... no excuse. just didn't leave myself enough time or energy to plan and beyond that gave in to some cravings. i really feel sick to my stomach right now from what I just ate.. bleh.

The good news is that I logged EVERYTHING I ate...That is kind of a personal victory for me. Also I ate 498 calories above my goal (so I'll be able to work that out tomorrow).

I haven't been grocery shopping in waaay to long. need to go tomorrow morning. planning on making a meal plan either tonight or in the morning. Still feeling under the weather. Hoping that a good long Nyquil induced sleep tonight will make me feel worlds better in the morning - I haven't been getting the kind of sleep I need lately. Going back to work on Monday for the next three nights which means i may not be posting for awhile. Being at work isn't terrible because I drink a lot of water and they have healthy food in the cafeteria even if I don't bring good snacks.

Everyone keep doing your best! If y'all do I know it will motivate me to do mine!

Much Love,
    Rachel
  • sophieg77
    Options
    Hello everyone :)

I'm back. I've had a rough couple of weeks full of self-doubt, self-loathing, laziness, anxiety and feeling the weight (literally and metaphorically) of the pressure I was putting myself under. I commttied to too much, gym, running regime, swimming, dancing, push ups, dvds, I didn't eat nearly enough. I tried to cook everything, prepare for everything, not trusting myself, i drank so much water I was gagging on it. I said yes to everything exercise wise and then would beat myself up if I forgot to go do sit ups, or didn't do the 30 day shred after walking 10 miles... like i said, too much!

but i won't let my negativity bring everyone down. I'ts great to be back, I'm looking forward to feeling good about myself and am so excited to see so many new faces to this great support group.

I thankfully seemed to have maintained while I have been away which means I wasn't too far off my goals for October challenge :) I've just had my 2 litres of water for the day and am starting to flush out some of the horrible things i did to my body in my depression.

Congrats to everyone who acheived their goals for october and I hope everyone is well on track for November. not sure what my goals are this month but maybe just 'keep positive' ahah

love you all

Sophie
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Quick update (because it's nearly 4am already... where has my day gone?)

Melissa - Lime Chicken Tacos? Need I say more... That sounds amazing! Where did you get the recipe? I made lime, garlic and cilantro baked tilapia tonight with a rustic white bean and cumin mash and steamed veggies. So, so good. LOVE food. I have no idea how I managed to lose weight... hahaha

Sophie - It's great to have you back! This journey can definitely be overwhelming and it can be hard to cope when you feel like you are letting yourself down (even though realistically you are still kicking *kitten*). It's great to hear that you maintained! Just start out a bit slower, give yourself the credit you deserve and a break every once in a while if you falter, and keep your chin up. Look forward to seeing your progress in Nov/Dec and onward. :flowerforyou:

Rai - Great job logging. 500 cals over probably puts you near your actual burn for the day (if you have your weight-loss set to 1lb per week) so you likely ate to maintain today. Nothing that can't be undone! Burn it tomorrow and you are back on track :bigsmile: The fact that you logged and kept yourself accountable is a major victory. Good luck on your nights and see you when you get back! Hope you are feeling better <<hugs>>

Everyone else... WRT my friend situation, the worst culprit is my closest friend from Uni whom I have known for about 7 years and whom I lived with for quite some time. She is INTIMATELY aware of my dedication to improved nutrition and health, running and general fitness and has been informed on multiple occasions that A) this is not a diet, and never has been B) I am very aware of how much I eat, and that in order to train and run I need to consume enough calories to fuel my body, and C) my weight has steadily decreased by less than a pound a week over 14 months, so it's nothing drastic or unhealthy, and it's incredibly offensive for her to suggest otherwise. I have made it very clear on several occasions that my weight is absolutely none of her business. I am healthy and fit and I don't need her telling the whole world about how much "fatter" I used to be to make herself feel less uncomfortable about her own weight gain. It's a very immature practice and it is incredibly uncomfortable for me, because I don't think that it's her place to tell anyone how much I weigh or used to weigh (yes, in pounds!). Furthermore, even if she is just exaggerating in jest about my having an eating disorder or being "obsessed", it's a really serious accusation and it demonstrates to me that she actually has not been paying attention at ALL to the changes in my life. I am healthier than I have ever been and anyone who knows me can easily see that. I am offended by it because I work really hard at living healthy most of the time and for that to be completely overlooked because I have lost weight seems like an effort to minimize any sense of accomplishment I may have about my progress to make herself feel better.

Roo - I think you are right on the money, unfortunately. I have very little patience for this kind of immature and hurtful behaviour, especially after having spoken to her about it multiple times. I certainly do not need to be surrounding myself with people who are unable to support me because my choices make them feel insecure. I am so thankful for MFP and my friends on here. You are all making this journey SO much easier!! :smooched:

Speaking of healthy living... I am officially back on track tomorrow! WI tomorrow morning and it won't be pretty. Hoping not to binge/emotionally eat after seeing the number on the scale. Am running in the afternoon and will be hanging around at night. Hopefully can stay away from the fridge! hehe Will update tomorrow after the weigh-in. Thanks for listening, everyone. So much love!!

-Meag :heart:
  • tjradd73
    Options
    FINN-thanks for saying so!!! didn't realize the diff till i posted them on mfp!! I think its a great idea to do pics/measurements each month!! :)
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi friends=]

Well I'm very disappointed with myself. Didn't manage to make it swimming once last week, went out for a friends birthday on saturday night and got WASTED, had a big mac because I was drunk and thought it was a good idea and then for the first time since starting MFP I didn't log my foods yesterday so I was probably over. To be honest the whole week has been a shambles and therefore I wasn't surprised to see a 3lb gain on the scale this morning. Even though I wasn't surprised it doesn't mean I'm not ashamed. I made a concious decision to **** up everything I've achieved so far and it makes me soooooo mad at myself. Why did I do it???!!! I've got all you wonderful people doing such a good job of meeting your goals and I'm just not pulling my weight.
    Rant Over.

This week I am going to do everything I can to lose those 3lbs so that I'm back on track for meeting my goal of 199lbs for this month. Two weigh ins left in this month for me and I will swim 3 times this week and 3 times next week to ensure I meet my goals!!

I am going to make the effort to read everyone's comments on this thread every night and actually respond rather than selfishly go on about myself, which I'm sure no-one is that interested in since my life is boring as hell!!!

Help me get back on track girlies!!! I need you all more than ever, since I'm feeling so lousy about gaining 3lbs in one short week=[

:heart: Emmy
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    Hey all! Hope everyone had a great weekend! I had quite a busy one and wasn't able to log into MFP all weekend, but I lost another pound on weigh-in day Saturday! Woo hoo! Only 1.6lbs til I make my November goal & hit 25lbs! YAY! I'm hoping to hit that this week if all goes well!

:) Keep kickin *kitten*!!!!!!

Kattungen: To lose 5 lbs :) Starting at 188.5 - want 183.5 by December 1st!
    kvr413: lose 10 lbs, thanksgiving included, which will put me at 169!
    Meggonkgonk: To reach 157 lbs & to run the first 2 weeks of my 10k running program (mileage13-14 and 15-16)
    Emmyworthy: To reach 199lbs, swim 3 times a week, lose 8 inches over all with 1 inch coming from my upper arms.- OMG down 7lbs in the first week of November! What the hell!!!hahaha! Only 3lbs to go before I'm 199lbs=]
    ksv123: to lose 3 pounds (yes, including Thanksgiving!!), and ramp up my workout routine that I have managed to ignore lately. The workout will include a minimum of 4 days a week of either elliptical or 30 Day Shred.
    GuamGrly (Bethany) - To lose 5 pounds and work out at least 2 times per week.
    meagalayne- To reach 130lbs, complete weeks 2 and 3 of the push-up challenge at my own pace, and run my 8k (Nov 13) under 50 mins :D -- MET! Chip time: 49:47.4
    LostAlyKat (Aly) - To lose 6lbs from 172.6, follow my prescribed food plan, and workout 6 days a week!
    Tjradd73-to lose 9.6lbs, and to continue on with the push-up challenge :)
    allislefttogain: Maintain (120-125 range); no scale until December 1st; 2 days a week with strength/body weight training; run 3-4x a week and run my 10K in 56 minutes or under (be happy with 59:01 or under though!)
    rai8759: loose 3 lbs by Thanksgiving, 5 lbs in total/workout 3x a week 60-90 minutes/5K in 30 min or less/be true to food diary even if i miss a day get right back into it the next day!!
    tai_88: to lose 5 lbs, stopping eating candy for the month and continue working out at least 4 times a week.
    wardiemelissa-my goal is to lose my last 0.5 pounds (taking me to 125 pounds-my wedding weight from 7 years and 2 kids ago), to maintain my weight, continue with my exercise routine (running 3-4 days and strength on off days) and finish my first 10K under 75 minutes on Thanksgiving Day!!!
    spellbinder - Reach 146lbs, exercise 5 days a week, do strength training + crunches + squats 3 days a week, ensure that I don't put on any weight during thanksgiving week!!
    SkierElle- reach 180lbs/exercise every day/limit sweets and desserts (apart from Thanksgiving)
    ttaylortulsa: 8 lbs for month - C25K training 3 days/wk - 30 Day Shred (or equivalent) 2 days/week - YBB vid 1 day/week
    allie7383: to get into the 150's (6.5 lbs away!), workout 6 days a week, and increase my water intake.
    inskydiamonds: (November 1-14): eat vegetables with dinner every night / lose about 5 pounds (November 15-28): make low(er) cal Thanksgiving dishes. Lose at least 4 pounds.
    mcanals123: To drop down to 165 and break my plateau :-)
    finncmh: Lose 1 pound a week- bringing me to 198 by end of the month. Full body lifting routine two days a week. Get to spinning class at least two times a week.
    miss_amy: lose a total of 25lbs, work out 5x a week & eat more fiber & protein. -1.6lbs to go!
    purpleprose: lose 5 pounds from 10/29 weight, run the whole 5K on Thanksgiving (no walking), and to eat organic, whole foods at least 60% of the time
    oreganoqueen: brave the gym at least once a week & eat more protein
    coatadaycarrie: finally get down to 145, and to work out at least 5x a week for at least half an hour each time.
    lauratx22-lose 8 pds! starting weight 190..now 188.5!
    ottawagirl613: lose 5 pounds to get me halfway to my goal weight of 130 pounds by christmas! also to complete my 15 mins a day of toning exercises EVERY DAY :)! (and squeeze in a few 15-30 min walks a few times a week)
    stuartme123: lose 4 pounds, workout at the gym or attend yoga class lasting 30+ min, 3x a week, keep unhealthy snacking to under 200 calories/day - this includes YOU potato chips!!!
    CraftyGirl4 - Do all the P90X workouts for this month (maybe taking off Thanksgiving Day). Not to step on the scale until Decemeber 1st, 2010.
    vbos~ lose 8lbs, 8 cups of H2O a day, run/elliptical 4x/week, strength train 3x/week, 5k Turkey Trot in 30mins, oh and drink alcohol only once a week!!
    cruan - Stick to my 2 shakes a day, really watch my calories so I don't go over, lose 5-7 pounds, somehow fit some exercise into the craziness that is my life!
    lolahippie-to lose 5lbs!
    Roobean33- to lose 4 pounds and tone up - and bring my hubby along for the ride! :)
    emmarie1630- lose 5 pounds, 3x a week workout, more veggies
    AshleyVeronica - lose 4lbs, DRINK less calories, monitor what I eat everyday...no holding back, stop eating after 9pm unless it's a weekend
    trebhun - lose 4lbs, and work out more, start exercising again after knee scope surgery (last Thurs 11/4)
    francesstewart1 - lose 3lbs (and join the Dec challenge!)
  • tjradd73
    Options
    emmy-come on girl...STAY FOCUSED!!! you can do it!!!! get right back on track, we are almost halfway done with the month!!! you can lose those 3lbs easy and plus more!!! you can do it!!!

amy-congrats ahead of time for reaching your Nov goal!! you got this!! :)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Em - Don't beat yourself up, girl! After a week with a 7lbs (!!!!) loss, that 3lbs is likely just your body rebounding. 7lbs is a LOT to be losing in a week, so it's possible that your body is just going through a bit of shock and storing. Steady and healthy weight loss over time should be the goal to keep it off, so if you are zigzagging up and down a lot from week to week, just try to focus on the longer term. In retrospect, 4lbs lost in 2 weeks is a VERY impressive feat. You are doing this - don't lose sight of your accomplishments :happy:

Make sure you get your swims in this week because they are important to you in feeling good about your progress - If you feel like you've let yourself down by not swimming all week, then you need to make sure you get your swims in! There are so many other positive benefits to regular exercise, including boosting your mood and your morale with regards to weight-loss. And you always feel better once you get a good burn! This is important to you so make time for it. Making time for yourself and your health is the first step toward adoptive a manageable lifestyle that will have you losing/maintaining weight over time and keep you fit and HAPPY!

AFM -- Weighed-in this morning and it looks like I did better on my trip than I imagined... Despite all the pizza (ugh) and ice cream that we consumed, I only gained 1.3lbs by Thurs morning. As of today, I am down 2.2lbs, for a net weekly loss of 0.9lbs. Losing 0.9lbs on a vacation week is pretty stellar, IMO, so I am REALLY happy with myself. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Pretty sure my race weekend helped, although I ate a ton and had ice cream yet again last night... I really need to speak to someone about keeping ice cream out of the house (and my bfs house...) :grumble: I have absolutely no self-control around the stuff! Taking a slow run today to stretch out the muscles and working on W3 of the push-ups challenge.

Two weeks left in Nov ladies (and 1 day, I think) -- Let's make it count! Lots can happen in 15 days :happy:
    -Meag :heart: