Please read before entering the forums...

Replies

• MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    *bangs head on keyboard*
  • 24Donna
    24Donna Posts: 39 Member
    If muscle is more dense (like you said), that means that a certain volume of muscle IS heavier than fat would be at that certain volume (which you apparently deny?). A bodybuilder with the exact same bodyvolume as an obese man will be heavier. If you have two girls, one of them being a musclar fiitness freak and one of them being actually a bit chubby, they could still weigh exactly the same.
    That's why, while dieting and toning up at the same time, you might not see it on the scale at the high rate you'd expect - because you're buildig muscle.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    block this thread. it is useless.

Tip #18-If you don't like a thread or think it's "useless", don't read it. Simple as that.

but you have to read it before you can make the decision you don't like it and once you've read it there's no turning back.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Tip #42 Squirrels like to eat lucky charms.

seen this word a few times in this thread and CAN'T HELP MYSELF....

2nqbioz.gif
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Tip #14 - yes muscle is heavier than fat.
    Tip #15 - Tea and Coffee does count as water intake

#14 is a joke right?
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member

Maybe I am not understanding #14. How is muscle heavier than fat. A lb of muscle weighs the same as a lb of fat?

This response always perplexes me. One pound of anything doesn't weigh more than one pound of anything else, because they're both a pound. Der. But does that mean that no substance in the universe is heavier than any other substance? NO. It just means that someone's being a pedant about wanting you to say something is "denser" not "heavier." But in common parlance, you can say for instance that gold is heavier than aluminum and everybody who finished middle school knows exactly what you mean: that a given volume of one thing is heavier than the same volume of the other thing. It's not incorrect.
  • Onderwoman
    Onderwoman Posts: 130

Maybe I am not understanding #14. How is muscle heavier than fat. A lb of muscle weighs the same as a lb of fat?

This response always perplexes me. One pound of anything doesn't weigh more than one pound of anything else, because they're both a pound. Der. But does that mean that no substance in the universe is heavier than any other substance? NO. It just means that someone's being a pedant about wanting you to say something is "denser" not "heavier." But in common parlance, you can say for instance that gold is heavier than aluminum and everybody who finished middle school knows exactly what you mean: that a given volume of one thing is heavier than the same volume of the other thing. It's not incorrect.

But you didn't read "thugh rulez", now everything in the universe weighs the same as everything else, and nobody on those bodybuilding sites that lost massive amounts of weight and gained strength for weight loss and strength competitions built any muscle at all! Neither did wrestlers making weight, or anyone on a long term diet while lifting weights. Because people on MFP said so that's why! And cuz whatever they say = science! :D
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member

But you will always get the standard response. A gold is not heavier than aluminium - a pound of gold weighs the same as a pound of aluminium.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Sorry a pound of fat and a pound of muscle both weigh a pound

No one said a pound of muscle is heavier than a pound of fat! A pound is a pound but in cubic VOLUME it is more dense there for, for the same sized amount of volume it would weigh more! Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is approx 0.9
    g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of fat would weight 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% more dense than fat and there for weighs more :P

But if you want to be a silly stickler and twist peoples words for it to mean a pound is a pound go for it but it doesnt make you correct
  • La_Malfaisante
    La_Malfaisante Posts: 1,509 Member
    2isii4i.gif
  • sympha01

But you will always get the standard response. A gold is not heavier than aluminium - a pound of gold weighs the same as a pound of aluminium.

gaaaggggghh nothing weighs more than anything everything weighs the same the concept of weight is meaningless

a0rovri.gif
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    amen
  • Neliel88
    Neliel88 Posts: 42 Member
    Tip number one is bull****. You store glycogen from carbs (fruit) and you certainly don't get fat from it. It's the fat combined with your carbs that makes you fat. The fat you eat is the fat you wear.
  • sympha01
    Tip number one is bull****. You store glycogen from carbs (fruit) and you certainly don't get fat from it. It's the fat combined with your carbs that makes you fat. The fat you eat is the fat you wear.

I think the OP's intent with Tip #1 was to counter the Weight Watchers view that fruit is "free." I've seen a lot of people raging around the forums that they'll track all their food EXCEPT the food that they're used to thinking of as "free" from WW. But fruit has calories, too many calories make you fat. That being said, it's HARD, yo, to eat enough excess calories from unprocessed whole fruit to make a substantial impediment to a calorie deficit over time.

Not about carbs. Though yeah, I've seen a lot of crazy about that on the forums too. (Seems like I used to see that more a year or so ago, and now that MFP corrected their basic sugar recommendation to more than 8% of total calories LOL I don't think people are complaining so much about fruit anymore.).
  • tennisdude2004

No, just no!

Fruit most certainly can end up as body fat if eating it in a calorie surplus.
  • Neliel88
    If that were true then high carb vegans eating 3000+ calories a day from fruit, veg and grains long term would all be huge. But they are not. Yes I know this goes against everything you believe to be true but it is. The people are out there, the science is out there. It's definitely WHAT you eat.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    If that were true then high carb vegans eating 3000+ calories a day from fruit, veg and grains long term would all be huge. But they are not. Yes I know this goes against everything you believe to be true but it is. The people are out there, the science is out there. It's definitely WHAT you eat.

Strange, there have been posts in the past from vegans who were fat----they said they ate too much. :smile:
  • Neliel88
    There's a huge difference between 'vegans' and high carb vegans. Those vegans were eating too much fat, sodium and possibly processed foods. There are actually various groups of vegans too: fully raw, vegans that eat cooked meals, vegans that eat more junk than plant based foods.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edit: Whoops. Don't want to enable the thread derailing efforts for this otherwise solid post.
  • tennisdude2004

So human biology doesn't apply to vegans - not sure that's true.

A macdonald a or plum, once the body processes them they end up as the same thing - glucose and as we all know (I hope) it does one of three things in the body:

1) is used by the body as fuel
    2) is stored in the liver and muscles as glycogen
    3) when glycogen stores are full and there is glucose in the blood stream not being used for fuel, it's converted into body fat!

But if that's not what happens to vegans then great, just the rest if the human race then.